Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2014 8:07 AM

Jan 2012
Literally half of school-themed anime always have a character with no friend.

It's either the MC that wants to have friends or a group of friends trying to reach out to a lonely character.

Then there's a boatload of anime with 'friendship = invincible' theme since the beginning of time.

Are Japanese kids really that introverted?

I know all these technology make matters worse, but the friendship themed anime has been airing ever since I started watching 20+ years ago.

Promoting friendship is nice and all, and there's lonely kids all over the world, but is this a big problem in Japan or something?
Sep 2, 2014 8:10 AM

Nov 2012
too many pathetic hikkikomori introvert with no friend out there, and those show aimed for them, not for kids.
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 2, 2014 1:35 PM

Dec 2011
With the way schools work, it is if anything unrealistic that there are any such series which do not include someone who doesn't have any friends.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 2, 2014 1:40 PM

May 2013
Could you honestly say you'd want to see a high school anime with a kid that has no friends at all? That'd be boring as fuck.
Sep 2, 2014 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
Well, at least is less bizarre than the notion a Japanese has a fuaf-fuaf life only in high-school.

Anyway, I think it is made this way in order to encourage them to interact more, with less fear of rejection, being shunned, or bullied :L
Sep 2, 2014 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Could you honestly say you'd want to see a high school anime with a kid that has no friends at all? That'd be boring as fuck.

Watamote pls.
Sep 2, 2014 4:55 PM

Nov 2012
RevInity said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Watamote pls.

yea its boring as fuck
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 2, 2014 4:57 PM

Aug 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
RevInity said:

Watamote pls.

yea its boring as fuck

Subjective comment is subjective
Sep 2, 2014 5:06 PM

Nov 2012
I thought watamote was pretty entertaining for the vast majority of it..
Sep 2, 2014 5:17 PM

Sep 2014
RevInity said:
ninjastarforcex said:

yea its boring as fuck

Subjective comment is subjective

Are you lonely?
Sep 2, 2014 5:20 PM

May 2010
Can you list any such anime? Even watamote girl has a friend. She's just in a different school. She makes a friend at the same school afterwards as well.
Sep 2, 2014 5:27 PM

Aug 2014
Watamote is the only thing closely related to this criteria, could be wrong..
I don't think anime like this will sell well tho tbh.
Even though watching watamote was already painful for me.
Sep 2, 2014 5:31 PM

Mar 2013
Casshern Sins fits the lonely criteria I think.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Sep 2, 2014 5:35 PM

Jul 2011
ninjastarforcex said:
RevInity said:

Watamote pls.

yea its boring as fuck

True spoked
Sep 2, 2014 5:37 PM

Mar 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
shit = loli, tsundere, harem, ecchi, nazimods, evangelion, higurashi and clannad
fixed
Sep 2, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
RevInity said:

Watamote pls.

yea its boring as fuckamazing such as nhk!
fixed
Sep 2, 2014 5:41 PM

Mar 2013
DerpHole said:
Casshern Sins fits the lonely criteria I think.
Ive seen 3 eps of it...just boring...and it has yugioh's graphics
Sep 2, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2012
i'm just discussing how most anime have a lonely character as a catalyst.. then they started making friends as main theme. So, this might have something to do with Japanese culture or problem that kids aren't making enough friends or some shit..
Suzune-chanSep 2, 2014 7:51 PM
Sep 2, 2014 8:01 PM

Feb 2010
flaxman85 said:

It's either the MC that wants to have friends or a group of friends trying to reach out to a lonely character.

Then there's a boatload of anime with 'friendship = invincible' theme since the beginning of time.

Are Japanese kids really that introverted?

I know all these technology make matters worse, but the friendship themed anime has been airing ever since I started watching 20+ years ago.

Promoting friendship is nice and all, and there's lonely kids all over the world, but is this a big problem in Japan or something?

Why do you need to be lonely to enjoy the theme of friendship? It's like you're saying friendship as a theme only appeals to introverted people, which is more than questionable reasoning.
Friendship, love and war are the 3 big topics of life and especially storytelling, so it's the most normal thing to have friendship be an important part in a lot of stories. I'd rather question the culture of a country whose stories barely ever revolve around friendship.

And the abundance of loners/NEETS/Otaku/Hikikomori protagonists is more of a recent trend as far as I can tell.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 2, 2014 11:47 PM

Jan 2013
I know that feeling man. I'm still waiting for an intense anime on a man who descends into madness due to his personality and isolation from society before coming to a conclusion that ending his life is the least emotionally painful experience than years of despair. NHK had it for like, half the series
Sep 3, 2014 1:13 AM

Jun 2013
Udgey said:
I know that feeling man. I'm still waiting for an intense anime on a man who descends into madness due to his personality and isolation from society before coming to a conclusion that ending his life is the least emotionally painful experience than years of despair. NHK had it for like, half the series
Something like that would be very interesting indeed, but would never be allowed to air. Imagine the shitstorm that would follow if someone got affected to such a degree as to committ suicide by watching such a show.
Sep 3, 2014 5:03 AM

May 2013
RevInity said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Watamote pls.

Haven't seen that, but it looks like it may be the exception, as I've heard good enough things about it.

I'm watching it just for Monica Rial though.
Sep 3, 2014 9:39 AM

May 2012
flaxman85 said:

Many main characters are disruptive transfer students who arrive at new schools with no friends. This has been a common theme for as long as I've watched anime. Transfer students work well as a plot device, but I don't know whether such stories are indicative of anything about real Japanese schools. From what I've seen, bullying also seems to be widespread in Japanese schools, but I doubt it is as extensive an issue as anime portrays it to be.

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

32 by BatoKusanagi »»
1 minute ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 3 minutes ago

0 by VeryRedBags »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

85 by Hitagi__Furude »»
5 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

16 by nyugvo6 »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.