Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 23, 2016 6:07 AM

May 2010
This episode had a theme of longing love--

This started crazy but soon turned serious, as expected of Mushishi.

That rainbow flowing out of the ground is so beautfiul tho...

For some reason this episode me teary-eyed. I felt the man's story. Him searching around with no other point than finding a rainbow (which probably doesn't even exist) and then he finds it, almost gets swallowed in it, is saved by Ginko. And then he leaves to build a bridge based on his ideals. He surpassed his father. What a development. One of the best so far.
TragicRomanceOct 23, 2016 6:12 AM
May 31, 2017 6:57 PM

May 2013
Damn. The flashback of the father grinning when Kouro found the rainbow was creepy lolol
Dec 4, 2017 8:11 AM

May 2016
This show should be called meditation.
Apr 22, 2018 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
A story that is unbelievable and with an incredible Mushi, these are the ingredients for an episode once again very melancholy, and romantic if you want. In the end, however, there remains a veil of sadness and hope.
Dec 5, 2018 10:02 AM

Mar 2016
Perhaps my favorite ep so far. Not sure how people are putting a positive spin on the journey, or the rainbow itself though, to be honest. The father was clearly driven insane by it, and the son, wanting to understand and conquer this pathological hold that was holding his father down (and him as well) is only able to grow confident in his own abilities after being almost swallowed up by these same desires. In the end, he still follows in his father's footsteps, though his abilities do seem to be exceptional. It's not entirely cynical, sure. But though it might be a necessary journey for some, it's not one any sane person should volunteer to go on.

A general comment: If Mushi are supposed to be these primal and essential beings, having the stories told in this primitive way makes a ton of sense. It almost as if these are real folktales being explored and retold through through the anime. Worth noting that in this episode we have the traveler's story itself being taken as a tall tale by that other man.

I feel like the episodes are stronger when Ginko interacts with people other than his 'customers.'
syncrogazerDec 5, 2018 10:15 AM
Mar 1, 2019 2:21 PM
Aug 2012
Life is like the flow of a river...it's good sometimes to live without any particular purpose and be like a travelling rainbow
Mar 2, 2019 8:10 PM

May 2016
Sure, it's great to be very happy over something as pretty as that rainbow Mushi, but I guess that it has the sort of beauty that's better off being adored from a distance. His obsession over its unattainable perfection gave him an unquenchable thirst that awakened in him every time the possibility of it popping up again comes up. Kurou initially thought that the rainbow was the source of all his troubles but after seeing it for himself, he can't really blame his dad anymore.

I'm glad that Ginko tagged along because he wouldn't have been able to find the answer to how he can become useful nor let alone find the rainbow in the first place without him.

Mar 15, 2019 12:03 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
this has to be a real great view *-*

Jul 5, 2019 8:17 AM
Apr 2016
A pretty interesting story this time. Chasing after a rainbow, to justify father's craziness.
Sep 21, 2019 9:37 AM

Sep 2018
Sometimes you are satisfied with this anime, even if only for the magic that it transmits to you, as it happens this time, this is born from the union of the soundtrack, from the dialogues and from the narrated events, without there being necessarily an end, even if in hindsight, every time, reading between the lines, there is a hidden message and it is always very deep. I love this anime because of this, because it is one of the few not to be cheap, but it manages to stand out from the crowd.
Mar 24, 2020 9:38 PM

Feb 2017
Oh, I didn't know or realize that you can only see a normal rainbow when you're facing away from the sun. Thanks, Ginko.

Apr 3, 2020 1:53 AM

Aug 2018
Another amazing episode, i really didn't expect the rainbow search to end that way
Apr 4, 2020 5:09 PM
Oct 2018
Don't understand why the mushi warped around the father's hand, but the son was able to step into it and be pulled out? Not quite sure I understood the mushi in this one. Doesn't really explain the father's obsession either. 3/5
May 26, 2020 8:54 PM

Aug 2019
wow what a crazy episode. It was a nice refreshing one compared to the previous one, this time around we get a more calmed down, very philosophical episode. The Mushi was very beautiful, probably the least threatening one we've seen so far.
Nice to see a change of pace from, mushi that lay eggs in your eyes or live in your ears, too a nice rainbow natural phenomena one.
Jan 2, 2021 2:49 PM

Jan 2018
probably my favorite episode so far... I imagine partly because it seems to be the least fucked up of all the stories up to this point... shame I didn't even make it to this point the first time I tried to watch this
Apr 20, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2017

This scene was absolutely stunning, this anime truly is a masterpiece!
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Nov 6, 2021 10:10 PM

Aug 2007
This episode is amazing! Best so far, absolutely beautiful storytelling. I'm very interested if we will have satisfactory development of Ginko by the end of the series, considering he is the only Main character.

Feb 9, 2022 4:04 PM
Nov 2020
just two dudes looking for rainbows together nothing wrong with that
Dec 11, 2022 4:50 PM
Jul 2021
That ohhhhh and the look the MC and the other guy gave to the guy wanting to bring a rainbow back home was priceless, it made me laugh loudly at 1:00 AM.

One question I do have, is this suppose to be taking place in the 1800's or something? Because so far (up to episode 6 that is). We haven't see any contemporary technologies, no electricity, no phones, no cars/tractors et cetera, and every single characters are dressed like I dunno 1700/1800's peasants.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Apr 1, 2023 4:28 PM

Jul 2020
so far, every episode of Mushishi has been absolutely steller and right now I already consider it to be masterwork, and despite the supreme quality with all the other episodes this one is my favourite. this show has been constantly surpassing my expectations and taking my breath away. the rainbow is a really interesting metaphor, trying to chase your goals and ambitions, yet that always being out of your reach, and that was the feeling with koro. he never felt adequate or useful, and felt like he was dragging his family down, and he started chasing rainbows to escape; to escape from his guilt, his lack of self worth and the crumbling weight of expectations, never really living life the way he wanted to, so he kept chasing and chasing until he didn't feel worthless and inadequate. in a way, his name koro is kind of like a curse.

once he successfully chases and catches up to the rainbow, he discovers it's a mushi, one that resembles natural occurances but has no purpose, he is finally free. he doesn't need a purpose nor does he have to live the way he thought was destined for him, he can simply be who he is.

these are my very loose thoughts after just finishing the episode, and i hope they are coherent and you guys got something out of it. Mushishi is a sensational, masterclass series and is already becoming a new top favourite of mine, and I hope it stays that way in the future.
Apr 16, 2023 8:08 AM

May 2022
This is the kind of pain I like. The storytelling is on another level, I can see myself telling the same story and making it mundane for others.
Apr 18, 2023 6:02 PM

Jul 2016
Half-expected the mushi for this one to be some sorta leprechaun.

I gotta give credit to this dude. I already hate walking in the rain, so I can't imagine having to do it for 5 years while searching for something he wouldn't be able to take with him.
Jul 13, 2023 3:22 PM

Apr 2013
Such a beautiful episode.

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Nov 15, 2023 3:51 AM

May 2019
Beautiful, a mushi made rainbow (and other natural phenomena).
Jan 4, 4:38 AM
Nov 2016
This, without a doubt, was the best episode so far and left me with a huge smile on my face. Of all the characters that have Mushi involved in their story, Koro is the best of them. His past, his motivations and even the origin of his name are all incredible. If in the last episode we saw a bad relationship between father and daughter, in this one we see how Koro respected his father and did his best to seek the rainbow that he adored so much during his life. It is very gratifying to see him managing to find the rainbow and thus witnessing the same feeling that his father felt, and in the end we still discover that he finally managed to build the bridge, something he told his father he would do, and that it is indestructible .

What a perfect episode, I loved it in every aspect. And it is through dialogue throughout each chapter that we get to know Ginko more and more.
robtoscaJan 4, 4:41 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.