Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2014 4:28 PM

Mar 2014
On one hand, compulsory voting encourages political parties to spin half-truths, outright lie and oversimplify policies to hoodwink uninformed voters (even if what they're saying gets debunked, there's a good chance a lot of people aren't going to read up before hitting the booths)

On the other hand elective voting leads to non-universal representation, and partisan hacks and extreme political views being overrepresented in the voting process.

Both are subject to lobbying and corruption.

What to you is preferable?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2014 4:38 PM

Jul 2013
I rather have a jankenpon election.
Sep 1, 2014 4:41 PM

Jan 2009
i will go for compulsory voting even though most voters are ignorant
Sep 1, 2014 5:46 PM

Jul 2014
compulsory voting?

compulsory freedom(?)?

well, im glad that most countries dont do this.
Sep 1, 2014 5:48 PM
Nov 2008
compulsory voting means those who don't vote pay a fine, meaning that the government makes money off of non-voters. win-win.
Sep 1, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
Kaeis said:
compulsory voting?

compulsory freedom(?)?

In the oppression stakes, having to sign a ballot isn't up there on my list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2014
BarryManilow said:
Kaeis said:
compulsory voting?

compulsory freedom(?)?

In the oppression stakes, having to sign a ballot isn't up there on my list.

huh? wut? oppression stakes?

I'm politically apathetic and inept.

dity said:
compulsory voting means those who don't vote pay a fine, meaning that the government makes money off of non-voters. win-win.

Ya, just force people to vote. No need to think about how shit your system/candidates are or maybe how you could make it easier for people to vote. Just punish those who don't. Save the hassle of improving all these outdated systems.
Sep 1, 2014 5:58 PM

Mar 2014
Kaeis said:

huh? wut? oppression stakes?

I'm politically apathetic and inept.

dity said:

Ya, just force people to vote. No need to think about how shit your system/candidates are or maybe how you could make it easier for people to vote. Just punish those who don't. Save the hassle of improving all these outdated systems.
Again, how is forcing you to vote actually going to negatively impact you in any meaningful way, and how would you suggest making it easier to drive to a location and mark a piece of paper? You do know in places like Australia you can leave the ballot unmarked? You just need to show up, you don't have to actually cast a vote.

And I do agree that inept apathetic voters are the downfall of the compulsory voting system. Both systems have pitfalls, pros and cons.

In an ideal system, compulsory voting would mean people actually research politics so their vote was an actual vote from themselves, not a vote from sloganeering and campaigning. The whole "You win if you don't vote" is a load of bull, not voting simply makes you irrelevant, you still have to live with the tool in charge regardless, why not research candidates and make a miniscule difference instead of just taking yourself out of consideration??
BarryManilowSep 1, 2014 6:01 PM
Sep 1, 2014 6:08 PM

Nov 2012
Voters can still be misled just as easily to vote against their own interests in either system, and I don't see compulsory voting as particularly fixing any of our real problems, so I'd rather just opt for the system that offers more choice; including the option to not participate at all.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 1, 2014 7:16 PM

Jul 2014
BarryManilow said:
Again, how is forcing you to vote actually going to negatively impact you in any meaningful way, and how would you suggest making it easier to drive to a location and mark a piece of paper? You do know in places like Australia you can leave the ballot unmarked? You just need to show up, you don't have to actually cast a vote.

And I do agree that inept apathetic voters are the downfall of the compulsory voting system. Both systems have pitfalls, pros and cons.

In an ideal system, compulsory voting would mean people actually research politics so their vote was an actual vote from themselves, not a vote from sloganeering and campaigning. The whole "You win if you don't vote" is a load of bull, not voting simply makes you irrelevant, you still have to live with the tool in charge regardless, why not research candidates and make a miniscule difference instead of just taking yourself out of consideration??

I don't believe that I necessarily speak for everyone, but compulsory voting would make me despise the system in question.

its not about making it easier to drive to the location. In this day and age you shouldn't have to drive/walk/bike anywhere to voice your opinion in the first place. If I could express my opinion on compulsory/elective voting in my bed, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to tell the govt. that I prefer A over B with the same amount of effort.

So in Australia they'd make me commute to a voting centre just so I can choose not vote. cool. I thought they had compulsory voting so more people voted. I don't know what they're trying to do now.

If I am to vote, I would make a researched vote. And I would probably spend about an hour doing this. At this point I would most likely realize that neither choice really appeals to me. But I may feel that one of them is the lesser evil, and would prefer that candidate. Come voting day I would have to commute AT LEAST across the street (but most likely I'd have to burn gas or pay fare) so I could tell the government that I prefer candidate B over A, or vice versa. But then also knowing that it is just one opinion amongst many millions of equally weighted opinionss (double s to emphasis the number).

This is the voting simulation I have in my mind. I see myself facing the option above, to spend time and effort to voice a single piece of a opinion that is (lets be honest) fairly meaningless. Or, I could just pretend that none of this is happening and carry on with my own business. Personally, this is the winning (I only decided to use 'winning' since you chose to quote that saying, which I had no idea even existed) choice. I don't mind being irrelevant, or even (worst case scenario) having to live under a tyrant. Because I know my vote was not the problem. In the endless iterations of vote distribution possibilities, the number of times when my vote would have made (the miniscule part of) the difference, countless more iterations exists where it didn't matter. Because when I face the numbers I feel that I know, deep down, I'm irrelevant either way.

And that's pretty much how I feel.

But if, someday, I am able to voice a simple piece of preference from my home with a few clicks, and if I just at least kinda like just one of the candidates, I will vote for him/her. I don't mind researching, since it's fun as long as you're not being forced to in excessive amounts.

Edit-
Political systems are old. Like really old. I believe that it's one of those areass, much like education and business, where it's still built around (old) popular beliefs. And due to the tradition of things, has still yet to adapt in accordance to new scientific findings. I'm not very aware of political science findings, however. So I don't know for sure.
KaeisSep 1, 2014 7:23 PM
Sep 1, 2014 7:19 PM

Mar 2014
Kaeis said:
BarryManilow said:

I don't believe that I necessarily speak for everyone, but compulsory voting would make me despise the system in question.

its not about making it easier to drive to the location. In this day and age you shouldn't have to drive/walk/bike anywhere to voice your opinion in the first place. If I could express my opinion on compulsory/elective voting, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to tell the govt. that I prefer A over B with the same amount of effort.

So in Australia they'd make me commute to a voting centre just so I can choose not vote. cool. I thought they had compulsory voting so more people voted. I don't know what they're trying to do now.

If I am to vote, I would make a researched vote. And I would probably spend about an hour doing this. At this point I would most likely realize that neither choice really appeals to me. But I may feel that one of them is the lesser evil, and would prefer that candidate. Come voting day I would have to commute AT LEAST across the street (but most likely I'd have to burn gas or pay fare) so I could tell the government that I prefer candidate B over A, or vice versa. But then also knowing that it is just one opinion amongst many millions of equally weighted opinionss (double s to emphasis the number).

This is the voting simulation I have in my mind. I see myself facing the option above, to spend time and effort to voice a single piece of a opinion that is (lets be honest) fairly meaningless. Or, I could just pretend that none of this is happening and carry on with my own business. Personally, this is the winning (I only decided to use 'winning' since you chose to quote that saying, which I had no idea even existed) choice. I don't mind being irrelevant, or even (worst case scenario) having to live under a tyrant. Because I know my vote was not the problem. In the endless iterations of vote distribution possibilities, the number of times when my vote would have made (the miniscule part of) the difference, countless more iterations exists where it didn't matter. Because when I face the numbers I feel that I know, deep down, I'm irrelevant either way.

And that's pretty much how I feel.

But if, someday, I am able to voice a simple piece of preference from my home with a few clicks, and if I just at least kinda like just one of the candidates, I will vote for him/her. I don't mind researching, since it's fun as long as you're not being forced to in excessive amounts.
The effort required to travel to the voting receptacle makes you more likely to think "I came all this way, might as well vote". Basically it puts effort into not voting, removing apathy as a factor as you still have to consciously not vote. The choice is still there, but it's in your face as opposed to being an easy default option. I agree voting online would be a great way to solve a lot of problems, and they could provide unbias political information on the voting website that you had to click through to raise the probability of informed votes. That said, this system would need a lot of security otherwise Anonymous would hack Alex Jones into the Presidency or something equally as whacky.

The system needs more transparency and more information available, and a two way street where the public actually takes advantage of information instead of ignoring it.
Sep 1, 2014 7:20 PM

Jan 2013
Corruption will always find a way to affect both forms of voting. It's unavoidable.
Sep 1, 2014 7:21 PM
Mar 2014
Udgey said:
Corruption will always find a way to affect both forms of voting. It's unavoidable.
One party systems like china don't have this problem.
Sep 1, 2014 7:26 PM
Mar 2014
MiniSiets said:
Voters can still be misled just as easily to vote against their own interests in either system, and I don't see compulsory voting as particularly fixing any of our real problems, so I'd rather just opt for the system that offers more choice; including the option to not participate at all.
Government is one of the biggest parts of society I don't see why everybody must'nt vote. If you don't like the candidates leave society if you don't wanna pick between them.

I say this yet I never voted once. I Am Hypocrite (movie coming soon).
Sep 1, 2014 7:29 PM

Jul 2014
BarryManilow said:

The effort required to travel to the voting receptacle makes you more likely to think "I came all this way, might as well vote". Basically it puts effort into not voting, removing apathy as a factor as you still have to consciously not vote. The choice is still there, but it's in your face as opposed to being an easy default option. I agree voting online would be a great way to solve a lot of problems, and they could provide unbias political information on the voting website that you had to click through to raise the probability of informed votes. That said, this system would need a lot of security otherwise Anonymous would hack Alex Jones into the Presidency or something equally as whacky.

The system needs more transparency and more information available, and a two way street where the public actually takes advantage of information instead of ignoring it.

That makes sense. About compulsory voting in Australia. But it still sounds revolting to me and feels like the government is taking away my right of choice (No! you MUST come to the voting centre!). I will basically never see compulsory voting to eye.

BritishBeans said:
Udgey said:

lol. Not that it really matters but I heard that officials corruption on the high-end level isn't really a problem. I know second hand just how bad the lower-end corruption is tho.
Sep 1, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2014
BritishBeans said:
MiniSiets said:
Government is one of the biggest parts of society I don't see why everybody must'nt vote. If you don't like the candidates leave society if you don't wanna pick between them.

Now THAT's interesting. Could it just be that you see not voting as anti-social but don't have anything against anti-socials?
Sep 1, 2014 7:32 PM

Nov 2013
I want an electoral system that closely reflects the teachings of anime, so some form of massive tournament style death match would be appropriate. Oh, and all of the candidates are of course kidnapped highschoolers.
Sep 1, 2014 7:35 PM

Jan 2014
Voting isn't enough. Do you really think you can just go to the polls every 2 years and actually affect anything your country does?

Right now, the USA is almost exactly like the Roman "Republic" - a "representative" form of government where all real power lies with the oligarchy.

Anyways, forcing a populace to vote is just stupidity. Not that it matters. Dead people have more say in this current system than I do.
Sep 1, 2014 7:35 PM
Mar 2014
Kaeis said:
BarryManilow said:

That makes sense. About compulsory voting in Australia. But it still sounds revolting to me and feels like the government is taking away my right of choice (No! you MUST come to the voting centre!). I will basically never see compulsory voting to eye.

BritishBeans said:

lol. Not that it really matters but I heard that officials corruption on the high-end level isn't really a problem. I know second hand just how bad the lower-end corruption is tho.
I don't get what you're trying to say. The party chooses their own replacements within it independent of civilian say not to say that their opinion will be neglected as a reasoning factor in the decision. Corruption within the government is high but is it present in the appointment of the leaders? Even if it is I bet it's to a much lesser degree than in non-one party systems.
Sep 1, 2014 7:36 PM

Mar 2012
What good is forcing someone to vote, who is disinterested and/or doesn't understand the issues?

There are already enough ignorant people, who vote, and I'm not interested in adding adding millions of more of them.
Sep 1, 2014 7:37 PM

Mar 2014
BritishBeans said:
I don't get what you're trying to say. The party chooses their own replacements within it independent of civilian say not to say that their opinion will be neglected as a reasoning factor in the decision. Corruption within the government is high but is it present in the appointment of the leaders? Even if it is I bet it's to a much lesser degree than in non-one party systems.
That is fine as long as the party does a good job at selecting the leader. Like with monarchy, absolute power works out well with a good guy, but being spawned from a good guys nutsack is not a great criteria for choosing a leader.
Sep 1, 2014 7:40 PM
Mar 2014
Kaeis said:
BritishBeans said:

Now THAT's interesting. Could it just be that you see not voting as anti-social but don't have anything against anti-socials?
Spot on.
I wonder, how, from that did you guess I don't have anything against "anti-socials"?
Sep 1, 2014 7:40 PM

Jul 2014
BritishBeans said:

Kaeis said:

lol. Not that it really matters but

I just wish they had better goals than 'to create a strong chinese state', like to increase the standard of living or opportunities or something.
Sep 1, 2014 7:44 PM

Jul 2014
BritishBeans said:
Spot on.
I wonder, how, from that did you guess I don't have anything against "anti-socials"?

You pretty much said it yourself. 'If one doesn't do this they're not part of society. I don't do this.'. I ruled out the possibility that you might have something against yourself.
Sep 1, 2014 8:26 PM
Mar 2014
BarryManilow said:
BritishBeans said:
That is fine as long as the party does a good job at selecting the leader. Like with monarchy, absolute power works out well with a good guy, but being spawned from a good guys nutsack is not a great criteria for choosing a leader.
Unfortunately we haven't tried any other form of monarchy but by bloodline . I would be in favour of elitism, the problem is who we would pick the elite ruler . It would be ten times better than democracy granted the leader is not self-serving, guess that's why we still cling to democracy though.

Kaeis said:
BritishBeans said:

Kaeis said:

lol. Not that it really matters but

I just wish they had better goals than 'to create a strong chinese state', like to increase the standard of living or opportunities or something.
Well a strong Chinese state would only be so in relation to other countries and achieving that without high standards of living would be difficult considering their current economic system.

Kaeis said:
BritishBeans said:
Spot on.

You pretty much said it yourself. 'If one doesn't do this they're not part of society. I don't do this.'. I ruled out the possibility that you might have something against yourself.
I don't actually factor myself (as an individual) into my attempted reasoning/logic towards my stance, not to say that I view society as one unit without various parts or aspects to it. The reason I'm not against anti-socials is much more personal in that their reasons for being so are very relatable as society is kinda shitty.
Sep 1, 2014 8:43 PM

Jan 2011
On the one hand compulsory voting might actually make more people care enough to look into it properly but on the other hand ignorant people who wouldn't vote otherwise would negatively affect the outcome.
Sep 1, 2014 10:02 PM

Jul 2014
Just a quick note about the Australian system, for anyone interested.
Section 245 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918, Subsection (1),
'It shall be the duty of every elector TO VOTE at each election'.

By law, you do actually have to mark your ballet paper with a legitimate vote. Despite the secret nature of the ballet, leaving it blank is a criminal offense.
To say not voting is legal because the big bad AEC can't spy on your booth is like saying injecting heroin in the privacy of your home is legal because police don't have the right to search it.
Sep 2, 2014 8:49 PM

Jul 2014
BritishBeans said:
Well a strong Chinese state would only be so in relation to other countries and achieving that without high standards of living would be difficult considering their current economic system.

Building a strong state isn't really tied to the standard of living. China could probably take over half the world at this point, lol.

Stalin crushed his people's standard of living but rocketed Russia into the industrial age at unfathomable speeds. And he was in control.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

9 by vasipi4946 »»
5 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

18 by creepylurker »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 37 minutes ago

3 by rohan121 »»
28 minutes ago

» Is it a good idea to stay relatively anonymous online?

DesuMaiden - Apr 20

27 by creepylurker »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 7 hours ago

13 by Lost_Viking »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.