Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2014 10:49 AM

May 2013
Since there are a lot of english words and phrases used in anime I was wondering if that is something japanese people in general do. Does anybody know?
Sep 1, 2014 11:05 AM

Feb 2014
I feel like it's the same way we use some foreign words and phrases without understanding the language.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 1, 2014 11:08 AM

Apr 2014
Yeah its fairly common in Japan to use English words, like (as an American) when I or others around me speak English, someone might throw in a gracias(ty) or marone(damn)
Sep 1, 2014 11:57 AM

Mar 2012
I think English is a trendy and fashionable thing in Japan. It's kind of like the West and Asian characters/symbols. People get Kanji tattooed on their bodies or have clothing with Asian writing on them, while not being able to read the language. In Japan, you will see clothing with English writing and many times it has laughable grammar and spelling.

The world is becoming more and more globalized. Also, Japan became very Americanized post-WWII.
Sep 2, 2014 6:00 AM

May 2012
The father in Space Brothers is a good example of this use of English. He only wears t-shirts that have English phrases on them, though his understanding of the language itself seems pretty limited.
Sep 2, 2014 6:02 AM

Nov 2012
KazuyaKujo said:
Yeah its fairly common in Japan to use English words, like (as an American) when I or others around me speak English, someone might throw in a gracias(ty) or marone(damn)

I have never heard "marone" before ...interesting

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

64 by alshu »»
25 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

61 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
8 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
12 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 51 minutes ago

7 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.