Forum Settings
Forums

What's with the obsession with Christian fantasy in anime?

New
Sep 1, 2014 7:53 AM

Jul 2014
Same reason people in the west get tatoos with chinese or japanese symbols : Exotism is a turn on for many people.
Sep 1, 2014 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
Probably the mystique. The unknown is alluring to many, but then further research spells boredom.

Sep 1, 2014 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
Old_Raven said:
Bitches about christian religion, yet has a gif in his sig of a man claiming to be jesus or someone fairly renown in the "faith". Way to go, OP.
Why do you think I gave Samurai Champloo a 10? And no, I'm not bitching about Christian religion, I'm bitching about why a lot of the really crappy anime are too lazy to think about an actual plot and always have to go to the "demon lord" shtick with a twist like "Let's give this niggah tits", or "Let's make satan a McDonalds employee" and although I liked that anime, come on...

romagia said:

Udgey said:
or Satan and her army of ditzy and socially inept cows. Why does a lot of anime obsess over the demon lord? A lot of anime are willing to draw lucifer with tits for giggles but where's the use of other religions?
disagreed; what the fuck are you even watching @_@" there are relatively few anime with satan/lucifer
http://myanimelist.net/character.php?q=satan
http://myanimelist.net/character.php?q=lucifer
as for use of other religions: yugioh and the fate/series first come to mind
No, no, no. I'm using Satan as a substitute for demon lord. If you're aware, most of the boo hoo anime have characters by the name "Demon Lord" or "Maou-sama". And I don't think the fate/series uses religion, Saber is referred to as holy and the church is referred to a lot, but the church sounds more like a magic association than you know, an actual church.

Udgey said:
I've yet to see flying suicide bombers screaming "ALLAHU AHKBAR" before proofing into a gas of helium and rainbows.
people in this thread already explained why
It's offensive but even the most offending anime seem to steer clear from it. Yet Family Guy and South Park willingly swing their wangs at the subject without really giving a damn.

Udgey said:
If Buddha is used it's always the one of war and wrath.
again, wtf are you watching? i only know of buddha from Saint Onii-san and Osamu Tezuka's Buddha, and a few forgettable references in some episodic anime
There are few exceptions and Saint Onii-san is one of them. I'm also aware of the buddha references in Gin no Saji.

Udgey said:
Lolis and shota traps are so common yet there hasn't been a catholic priest joke yet.
bluh bluh mite b offensive, japan doesn't into christianity in-jokes, etc
but i believe they did something like that once with Garterbelt and Brief
I didn't watch yet but I'll see when I reap through my list

Udgey said:
The saddest part is, the concept of Jesus is entirely omitted. God seems to not exist at all. It's just demons, angels, and "Hero". Who the hell started this fad phase of angels and demons with tits?
there are more characters named jesus than buddha; also you should watch Saint Onii-san
http://myanimelist.net/character.php?q=jesus
http://myanimelist.net/character.php?q=buddha

there are lots of anime which use the word kami (God) in some way or another, sometimes it's actually a character, and sometimes it's used in a context similar to how a christian would use it; i don't know what you mean by this

and i believe that demons in some form or another were always part of japanese folklore, while angels in their humans-with-wings form are known internationally and pretty damn cool
as for tits, they're also internationally popular; do the math

the "Hero" archetype was always part of fiction lol
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHero
unless you mean all-loving hero/messiah which were also always part of fiction
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheMessiah

The "Hero" archetype has always been been a part of fiction that's really fucking obvious but whenever there's a supernatural war of angels and demons it's not "The angel" who slayed the demon lord, not "God", but a dense harem (sometimes) protagonist with less muscle than beef steak. No holy powers, brute strength. But that's an issue I have with anime on a whole different topic.

Demons will almost always be present in every religion out there because religion will always scare people to be good person. It's just strange that the demons being referred to in a lot of anime are the ones of Christian fantasy. The horns, the tail, the sharp teeth, "black magic".

The world only god knows throws "God" around like basketball in a black neighborhood but whenever god is used it's just to mean "greatness". I'm so good that I"m "Godly". Probably the best use of "God" was Death Note.
conclusion: give examples plz, watch more stuff, and hataraku maou sama =/= a lot of anime
Get my meaning homie?

SovietStrawberry said:
Why do you sound agitated OP?

I don't see the problem, so they steal a few ideas from another work of fiction (the bible) that hasn't even ever been copyrighted and they don't include all that pretentiousness and only include the cool factor. This is how it goes somebody gets an idea and others will play with it. This is how new ideas are made. Fuck your historically accurate depiction.
Because watching recycled ideas no longer becomes funny but a little bit agitating. If you're aware, half of the copyrighted ideas from those works of fiction aren't even original. It's always "the demon lord" and one big twist that'll either turn it serious or comedic. I applaud you for thinking the whole "Heh, let's do an anime on the demon lord, but let's change it up a bit so there's a high school setting and this time, the demon lord is a 15 year old boy attending magic school" is cool and all but the blatant sacrifice of what could make the anime interesting by adding troupesreally ruin certain anime. I don't want anime to be historically accurate, I want anime to be entertaining, not recycled garbage. Fuck your ideas niggah.
PeenusWeenusCaimSep 1, 2014 1:30 PM
Sep 1, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2014
The reason Christianity is used so frequently in anime is because it's seen as an exotic belief. Christianity is really rare in Japan, most of the population being some form of secularism or Shinto, so having something exotic and unique like Christianity adds an element of mystery or awe.

The same way Marvel uses Norse gods in their comics because they're "unique and exotic".
It adds a layer of mystery and creativity. The only difference between the two religions is that Christianity is still practiced.

Stop bitching that not everybody is Christian, the concept of religion and God are viewed entirely differently in Japan than the rest of the world you uncultured swine.
http://www.oocities.com/Tokyo/Lights/8305/

My Favorite Anime>Your Favorite Anime
Sep 1, 2014 2:49 PM

May 2009
Japan has always had a penchant for cultural appropriation, and Christian imagery has been brought into the country by missionaries but at the same time failed to be seen as sacred in the eyes of the average Japanese person. This, and the all-encompassing view on religions proposed by shinto, means that a person can sing in a church choir and then be a miko in a shinto shrine the very next day. For this reason also, Christian imagery is so common - crosses and statues are cool and mysterious, but one would fail to consider the sense behind them, clinging only to demeanor.
All aboard the delusion train.
Sep 1, 2014 3:33 PM

Jan 2014
Sapewloth said:
Jesus is bawss. That's why.

I believe you meant 'Jesus is Lawd'
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 1, 2014 3:42 PM

Feb 2013
Udgey said:
romagia said:
disagreed; what the fuck are you even watching @_@" there are relatively few anime with satan/lucifer
http://myanimelist.net/character.php?q=satan
http://myanimelist.net/character.php?q=lucifer
as for use of other religions: yugioh and the fate/series first come to mind
No, no, no. I'm using Satan as a substitute for demon lord. If you're aware, most of the boo hoo anime have characters by the name "Demon Lord" or "Maou-sama". And I don't think the fate/series uses religion, Saber is referred to as holy and the church is referred to a lot, but the church sounds more like a magic association than you know, an actual church.
well, maou is the leader of mazoku; satan/lucifer is a maou, but not all maou are satan/lucifer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazoku they even give him as example

the maou from maou yuusha is the only one with tits i know, but she's not "lucifer with tits", she's just a female maou; even if there are few more examples, it's far from "a lot of anime"

as for f/sn, since the topic was 'other religions', i was thinking of Gilgamesh and his Enuma Elish which are taken from mesopotamian religion, and the many servents that are taken from various mythologies

Udgey said:
people in this thread already explained why
It's offensive but even the most offending anime seem to steer clear from it. Yet Family Guy and South Park willingly swing their wangs at the subject without really giving a damn.
yeah anti-muslim stuff is a staple of american humor, you won't find much of it in other countries' comedy works

Udgey said:
again, wtf are you watching? i only know of buddha from Saint Onii-san and Osamu Tezuka's Buddha, and a few forgettable references in some episodic anime
There are few exceptions and Saint Onii-san is one of them. I'm also aware of the buddha references in Gin no Saji.
fuck that; tell me where did you see him as "one of war and wrath"? for me, that kind of depiction sounds as the exception

Udgey said:
The "Hero" archetype has always been been a part of fiction that's really fucking obvious but whenever there's a supernatural war of angels and demons it's not "The angel" who slayed the demon lord, not "God", but a dense harem (sometimes) protagonist with less muscle than beef steak. No holy powers, brute strength. But that's an issue I have with anime on a whole different topic.
yeah, most writers are human, but i don't know any series where that seriously happens... it's your fault for watching "harem (sometimes)"

yusuke loses against yomi (one of the 3 demon lords), lina isn't even close of being able to challenge the lord of nightmares, the maou from MMY is a joke, and i don't particularly recall any other series with humans fighting a devil lord
there's also Blood Lad, but all characters are demons

however, in Yondemasu-yo Azazel-san, there is a devil that is actually defeated by an angel, and Panty and Stocking routinely defeat Scanty,Kneesocks, and beat Corset in the end, though neither of those are explicitly 'demon lords'

this is also one of the reasons i love Dororon, cause the whole demons vs angels thing isn't taken seriously at all

Udgey said:
Demons will almost always be present in every religion out there because religion will always scare people to be good person. It's just strange that the demons being referred to in a lot of anime are the ones of Christian fantasy. The horns, the tail, the sharp teeth, "black magic".
well, horns & sharp teeth are characteristic of Oni, and the tails and "black magic" are also common between Yokai;

on the flip side, the bible says demons are just evil angels, and implies they are good shapeshifters; "Christian fantasy" as you call it, is basically just fanart, while the yokai are the real thing

also it's not surprising evil beings are depicted as having horns, sharp teeth, tail, etc cause shit's scary (see: wild animals); it's certainly not something exclusive to a certain culture/mythology/region/religion

Udgey said:
The world only god knows throws "God" around like basketball in a black neighborhood but whenever god is used it's just to mean "greatness". I'm so good that I"m "Godly". Probably the best use of "God" was Death Note.
well, Kami is an umbrella term for a lot of stuff
how do you feel about Haruhi Suzumiya?

Udgey said:
SovietStrawberry said:
Why do you sound agitated OP?

I don't see the problem, so they steal a few ideas from another work of fiction (the bible) that hasn't even ever been copyrighted and they don't include all that pretentiousness and only include the cool factor. This is how it goes somebody gets an idea and others will play with it. This is how new ideas are made. Fuck your historically accurate depiction.
Because watching recycled ideas no longer becomes funny but a little bit agitating. If you're aware, half of the copyrighted ideas from those works of fiction aren't even original. It's always "the demon lord" and one big twist that'll either turn it serious or comedic. I applaud you for thinking the whole "Heh, let's do an anime on the demon lord, but let's change it up a bit so there's a high school setting and this time, the demon lord is a 15 year old boy attending magic school" is cool and all but the blatant sacrifice of what could make the anime interesting by adding troupesreally ruin certain anime. I don't want anime to be historically accurate, I want anime to be entertaining, not recycled garbage. Fuck your ideas niggah.
[/quote]there is no such thing as originality etc etc
in my experience, described above, demon lords have been pretty different from one series to the other, but i'd like to hear you analyze every demon lord from your list, or at least 3 i haven't mentioned
my demon lords were all serious or comedic from the beggining, no 'big twist' required; or do you consider Hataraku Maou-sama's first episode a 'big twist'?
as i see it, this whole maou thing, it's a pretty simple trope, and i'm pretty okay with the maou to be just super-serious or super-silly (Maou from MMY manages to do both, which ironically would make her the best Maou)
i think it's time for you to leave the demons genre for a while, or look into some more obscure stuff from tvtropes, as you sound like you have too much experience with it @_@" despite being afraid to give actual examples; it seems to me all your generalizations are extrapolated from 1-2 examples

on a side-note, i never realized how many Satans are in anime, and they sound pretty different from each other; sadly tvtropes doesn't account for other generic maous
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Satan
romagiaSep 1, 2014 3:49 PM
Sep 2, 2014 5:56 AM

May 2012
As others have written, Christian symbols are used in anime for their exoticness. EVA is an especially good example. When was the last time you saw a Western movie or television show that presented a detailed understanding of Shinto or Buddhist traditions? Christianity for most Japanese is as alien as Shinto is in the West.

Catholicism plays a role in Sakamichi no Apollon, and Watanabe even gets most of the symbology correct. He does have them singing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," an evangelical revivalist hymn rarely if ever used in Catholic liturgy, but he also provides an explanation for the unlikely use of a rosary.
Sep 2, 2014 5:56 AM

Mar 2013
I dont get the topic
Sep 2, 2014 6:02 AM

Jan 2014
Because you can't beat GoW's greek mythology,
You need epic animation for Norse
Egyptian mythology is boring as shit, and so are all the south asian stuff.

And of course, no one knows of any the countless, more ancient Mesopotamian mythologies.

Besides, Chrollo Lucilfer is epic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 4 minutes ago

0 by Peach_Main »»
4 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

81 by ColourWheel »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

13 by -Aurelius- »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - Apr 17

46 by InsomniacBastard »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.