Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2014 11:54 PM

Mar 2012
With all the "fun" around the title and episode changes this weekend, I thought it would be nice to get something set up so that I could automate downloading the XML copies of my anime and manga list, just in case the information should ever be deleted or lost.

What resulted is a quick and dirty python script that will let you get your anime, manga, or both XML files downloaded. It basically wraps the export function on this site, but does so in a way that needs no user intervention, so you can schedule it to run and get regular backups.

Right now, there is no real error handling, but the script works and can be run manually or automated. It's open source, and suggestions and contributions are much appreciated.

You can find it over at https://github.com/motokochan/malxmlexport

If you don't want to set up git, just use the "Download ZIP" button in the lower right of the page to get the latest copy of the code.
motokoSep 1, 2014 12:11 AM
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
Sep 1, 2014 12:19 AM

Jan 2008
I'm completely green in the matter and so far I just kept a "copy" of my list in a xls file on my PC and manually updating it everytime - which can be a pain sometimes. Can I somehow convert XML files? I downloaded it through MAL exporter but it's as I expected - code. So can these files be uploaded/imported to MAL as means of back-up?

@Down
Thanks for clarifying that for me.
WerchielSep 1, 2014 1:00 AM
Sep 1, 2014 12:23 AM

Mar 2012
If you just want to make manual backups, go to http://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=export

That'll let you download your anime or manga list in a format called XML. The file itself is compressed using a format called gzip. If you decompress it and open in a text editor, you'll see that it's a special type of file with a bunch of tags that explain the data stored, and it's meant to be easily read by a computer program. You can use this file to import your list to an alternative site like Hummingbird or AniList.

You can also use the backup file to later import back to MAL if for some reason your personal data is lost.

All my tool does is it allows you to automate the download of those xml files so you can have regular backups without having to remember to make those backups.
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
May 13, 2016 12:21 AM
Apr 2014
Do you know of any way to convert the XML file into an XLS spreadsheet? I'd like to do analysis of data from a group of people, but would need the data to be in an XLS format to do so (and I'd rather not go through 200-1000 shows individually for each person).

Thanks

More topics from this board

» People who don't believe that there is anything wrong with western entertainment and influence.

kratos960203 - Apr 19

26 by KittenCuddler »»
29 minutes ago

» Made An Anime Youtube Video thoughts?

panque - 10 hours ago

1 by TheMechaManiac »»
7 hours ago

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

361 by panque »»
10 hours ago

» Anime hoodies - New brand

abambata - Apr 13

3 by abambata »»
11 hours ago

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

3 by abambata »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.