Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2009 2:05 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Alright first episode, that introduce the main characters. I honestly don't have the names memorized yet, but with 96 episodes i'll have plenty of time.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 20, 2010 5:12 AM
Sep 2007
This could easily be my first 10/10 anime in 2010.

Just the kind of comedy anime I like.

Oh and, Ms. manager really has cute behind.
Apr 22, 2010 7:17 PM
Mar 2008
Ooh, first episode had a nice feel to it for me
I think I'm going to enjoy this :D
Jul 28, 2010 1:46 PM

Oct 2009
I liked the first episode. I really hope that this anime won't disappoint me. =)
Nov 13, 2011 4:17 AM

Sep 2008
Okay first episode, IMO. I felt so bad for the main character, whose name I don't remember (err Godai or something?) because everyone kept calling him "Ronin-san". His neighbours are so horrible. When I lived in residence at university first year, in a dorm, I feel like my life was a little too close to what his is like here... so maybe the reason I didn't enjoy the episode as much is because I was just super annoyed by memories of drunkards and hardcore partiers in the dorm I lived in... XD

I like Rumi Takahashi's stuff, though (Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha) so I'm sure I'll end up enjoying this.
Nov 17, 2011 9:21 AM

Sep 2011
kinda messed up everybody calls him ronin-san. I would get pissed too, his neighbors are kinda annoying but funny
Mar 9, 2012 3:53 PM
Dec 2010
haha that dude is uber patient, i would kick all of their asses out at 1st occasion XD
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 25, 2012 3:50 AM

Jan 2010
not bad...

omg =__=
Oct 29, 2012 4:36 PM

Dec 2011
Oh yeah, this is definately Takahashi's work.
Proof: Boobs.
Apr 7, 2014 5:19 PM

Nov 2013
Pretty good start. those roomates are pretty amusing.

Anyone else notice young versions of the Urusei Yatsura cast about 5 minutes in.
Bubcus93Apr 7, 2014 5:23 PM
Jan 1, 2015 11:42 AM
Jun 2013
Nice start. It has that real classic feel to me. I have a feeling this could be something really special.
Sep 28, 2015 9:42 AM
May 2015
Poor Godai :(
Mar 1, 2016 3:03 PM

Jun 2014
I've only heard positive things about Maison Ikkoku, so even though it didn't look like something I'd enjoy, I decided to give it a shot to see what it's like.

Sadly, I confirmed what I had feared. In this one episode I just watched, I found absolutely nothing funny nor enjoyable whatsoever. This show seems rather annoying, and all I see are people consuming alcohol, which is something I find offensive. If it happened once in every blue moon, I could tolerate it, but this looks like a show where people are drinking in nearly every episode.

I was originally planning on watching a few more episodes before making a final judgement, but the one episode I watched was painful enough to get through as it was, so I simply cannot watch any more of Maison Ikkoku, so I'm dropping it now, making this the first Anime I've ever dropped.

April 22nd edit: I've decided to try to watch a few more episodes of this Anime, only because people keep telling me that it gets better, and because where I enjoyed Kimagure Orange Road, they figure I should like this too.

Although, I don't expect it to get any better.
_-_Sally_-_Apr 21, 2016 8:47 PM

Aug 4, 2016 7:42 PM

Jan 2013
^ Awfully sensitive to alcohol consumption.
I look forward to the romantic developments. A few funny moments in this episode.
Oct 23, 2016 1:44 PM

Nov 2008
Neighbours from hell. No wonder everyone was telling Kyouko to not go there.

Godai reminds me of Ataru from Urusei Yatsura, both by appearance and by being unlucky.

Also, it's really nice of Takahashi to simply name all the tenants by the numbers of the rooms they live in.
Dec 13, 2016 6:01 PM

Aug 2016
I already like the atmosphere of this anime alot, seems like i'm going to love this.
Poor Yuusaku tho, he is doing his best to give a good first impression diden't work out the way he wanted tho.
Apr 4, 2017 7:31 PM

May 2009
After finishing Urusei Yatsura, I'm actually glad the main guy character (Godai) is not like Ataru from the other series( a lech who wants a harem LOL). Godai seems like an average guy who lives a somewhat chaotic environment known "Maison Ikkoku". I can also relate to him, because his neighbors have no respect for privacy whatsoever LOL. Kyoko seems really nice and calm mannered( compared to Lum and all the other girls FROM Urusei Yatsura that go wild when angered LOL). Overall, nice intro for the first ep.
Sep 27, 2017 6:03 AM

May 2015
I just love the old anime style.

Ronin-san, are you peeping on men too? :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 10, 2017 11:01 AM

Nov 2012
Second Rumiko Takahashi series I'm starting (plan to watch all her long running anime in order of release).

Thought this episode was pretty good and the supporting cast don't seem as annoying as I heard (atleast for now).As long as they don't end up being complete shit characters like Ryuunosuke's dad from Urusei Yatsura I shouldn't have an issue with this anime aside from the apparent endless misunderstanding that drag the anime out from what I heard.
Dec 29, 2017 11:57 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Alright, second Takahashi work for me after Kyoukai no Rinne (that i dropped because it was boring as shit).
It was a nice first episode. Definitly will try more episodes !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 15, 2018 5:52 PM

Nov 2011
Godai is meh, the roommates are more or less obnoxious, and Kyoko isn’t all that interesting either.

I mean, I grant that it’s the first episode, but this introduction really challenges the gut feeling I had that made me want to watch this series.

We’ll see how it goes, I guess.
Nov 11, 2018 5:04 PM

Nov 2016
Alright, I went into this first episode with rather high expectations due to the fame of this show and I'm not one bit disappointed. The whole premise, the characters and comedy, they all seem like my cup of tea.

Promising start to say the least.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2019 12:05 PM

Jul 2014
Mkay so the first episode was alright. I giggled here and there. I usually don't watch Comedy but this one might be my cup of tea. Hopefully the characters don't get annoying as most of the viewers were saying *fingers crossed*
"That smile was like the sun on a hot summer day...with eyes like ice."
Sep 16, 2019 7:06 AM

Jul 2015
Well rip Godai's privacy, even if he bought locks and fixed the wall, they probably would break it again

Oct 8, 2019 12:59 AM

Oct 2010
Great first episode, I like the atmosphere. I saw some kids in the beginning that looked like the main characters from urusei yatsura (probably a tribute). That red hair girl sure is hot, kyoko is kinda boring but it's only the beginning.
Jan 26, 2020 7:45 AM

Oct 2012
Omg, I think I would kill these people lol. This is like my nightmare so definitely not a fan of these neighbors so far. This show is so hyped tho I expect itll get much better as it goes on, but well see
Feb 4, 2021 11:46 AM

Oct 2020
Omg the neighbours are so annoying - if I lived in an environment like that I would get so exhausted. ahaha they really twist everything that's being said with no sensitivity to the examinee guy

Okayish intro so far!

Mar 20, 2021 7:50 PM

Jun 2015
Good first episode!

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
May 19, 2021 7:49 PM

Jan 2021
Oh wow!! I’m Already in the first episode and I’m hooked!!!
Sep 2, 2021 10:13 PM
Jun 2020
For anyone worrying that they don’t like Maison so far, the show didn’t click for me til past episode 10. Now I’m hooked. I know it’s a commitment, but it picks up and the characters (at least Godai) seem to get more real, so give the show a fair shot for a dozen episodes : )
Sep 9, 2021 10:27 PM
Aug 2021
WaterSoullll said:
For anyone worrying that they don’t like Maison so far, the show didn’t click for me til past episode 10. Now I’m hooked. I know it’s a commitment, but it picks up and the characters (at least Godai) seem to get more real, so give the show a fair shot for a dozen episodes : )

I'm trying. But the characters are so unlikable. Godai is just pathetic. It looks so old too. It's hard to believe the series was airing at the same time as KOR.
Sep 11, 2021 7:21 AM
Jun 2020
Kyosuke69 said:
WaterSoullll said:

I'm trying. But the characters are so unlikable. Godai is just pathetic. It looks so old too. It's hard to believe the series was airing at the same time as KOR.

I totally hear you. I almost never keep watching a show that I don't instantly love, so no clue why this one is different, it just is ; )

Godai can be such a creep, you're right. I want to say that aspect gets better through the show (and somehow his housemates seem less scummy too) but I'm only around episode 30 now, and don't want to spoil anything either. Got to watch KOR actually, it looks fun!
Sep 14, 2021 12:34 PM
Aug 2014
That was probably one of the worst starts to an anime ever.
Aug 3, 2022 9:06 PM

Apr 2016
Giving a chance to this, decent start, all these neighbours are annoying.

Having watched Ranma as a kid clearly makes me biased to at least find Rumiko's stuff bearable in the case I don't end up liking it.

Let's see how romance develops.
Jul 2, 2023 3:49 PM
Jan 2018
Since I enjoyed the David Pro version of Uryusei Yatsura I decided to give this anime a chance. If I can't get through a 100 episodes of Gintama, hopefully I can get through this too.

No shade to Gintama. It just lacks a hook like One Piece to keep you coming back since a lot of it is episodic. And requires sooo many episodes to get to the best parts.

I sure do miss old school fanservice. This anime has women that look like women who could almost actually exist. It's nice. I'm guessing they are gonna recycle a lot of jokes in this story. I hope they can add some spice to the jokes at least. They were funny enough the first time, let's see what happens the next time I see some jokes.
Oct 26, 2023 10:47 AM

Jul 2022
She's so cute! also Urusei Yatsura cameos!, She looks like Sakura though
Jan 29, 5:08 AM

May 2022
Today, I started my second re-watch of MI (third in total). Since the last re-watch, I've read The Collectors Edition manga and that was really enjoyeable and interesting. Won't comment (too) much on that and keep it to anime.

I've left comments on my first re-watch and I'll add something if needed but more importantly, I'll start a train counter, you'll see why later :)

EPs 1/96
In total 3
Mar 31, 2:02 PM

Jun 2021
Delayed this day for a really long time, bought the first manga volume in the mid 2000's riding my enthusiasm from back then for Rumiko Takahashi's work, but didn't go deeper because it didn't seem as interesting as a concept like Ranma 1/2 or Inuyasha (and just watched the first 4 episodes at best of Urusei Yatsura). Anyway, it's time to give the animated series a chance even if i'll probably won't binge watch in a short timespan but probably just return here and there at little steps. OK first episode, i have a desire about Godai never becoming Ataru 2.0 but it's soon to figure it out. The neighbors... Could calm down a little. Kyoko has a nice introduction and having the same italian dub voice of girl Ranma is a pleasant discovery (even if i'm aware it's going to be changed midway through the show).

Anyone else notice young versions of the Urusei Yatsura cast about 5 minutes in

Yeah, at this point for people expert enough of Rumiko Takahashi's work... having those kind of Easter egg cameos (ironically after watching the pilot exactly during Easter day), especially after multiple rewatches of Ranma 1/2, a full single one of the original Urusei Yatsura and most of Inuyasha... is a given, not that i'm complaining.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

30 by alexrawk »»
Apr 11, 4:07 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

28 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 5 Discussion

hellogoodbye - May 31, 2011

27 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

19 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 2:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.