Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 15, 2009 2:55 AM

Sep 2008
Incredible movie. Only a bit below Spirited Away in my opinion.
Jun 26, 2009 2:33 PM

Aug 2008
One of the first and best anime movies that I've seen.
Aug 14, 2009 8:19 AM
Aug 2009
I thought it was very good, but not one of my favorites. I would like to own it either way so if i ever want to watch it again, i'll have it.
Aug 26, 2009 12:30 PM

Jun 2009
Good movie, I liked it better than Spirited Away.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 3, 2009 3:25 AM

Mar 2008
Honestly, I was not impressed.
The story is nothing special. You may want to argue about about the message but the message is totally worthless if the story is not engaging (and it isn't). The characters aren't anything to write home about either. Ashitaka may get some awesome strength from his cursed arm, but the way that limbs so easily break destroys plausibility.

It was good, but that was it. 7/10
Sep 4, 2009 12:38 PM

Oct 2008
Absolutely love it.. One of the best Ghibli ever, heck one of the best movie anime or not.. I find that the story is really deep.. Miyazaki is always good in mixing the social criticism with fantasy world.. That's what he master at..

Just imagine if all the animals can protest human's activities of industrial affairs and destroying their habitat.. In this movie, they even fight for their rights.. It's clever I think..
Sep 10, 2009 2:02 AM

Aug 2009
It was beautiful. I can truly understand why so many people have called it a masterpiece. The design of the forest and the complexity of the characters was simply amazing. Animation at its best!

Although, I should not have watched it dubbed. That was my mistake. The voice acting reminded me a bit of Speed Racer >>

I'm gonna download it subbed for great justice :D

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Sep 28, 2009 4:31 PM
Jul 2009
I loved it. To me, it was Miyazaki's best movie.

I mean, come on. It was absolutely brilliant.
Oct 10, 2009 6:38 AM
Sep 2009
About Mononke Hime, It took me a long time to watch it because I was a bit bussy. Maybe that's the reason I wasn't very impressed about it.

But, I like the its topic: it is related to the circle of life and death, the circle of permanent transformation. And, more than that, it's like a fairy taile: beasts, creatures with unbelievable powers, demons.

What else I liked is the comunity from the Iron town: those men and women were so united, were devouted to their lady and they would support each other no matter what.
Make me smile, make me laugh, make cry, make me suffer, make me smile again, make me human!!!
Nov 6, 2009 1:08 AM

Jan 2009
Why did it take me so long to watch this great movie? I honestly don't have a clue

9/10
Dec 17, 2009 4:18 AM

Dec 2009
One of the best anime movies ever created.
Jan 18, 2010 8:15 AM

Jul 2009
Only watched this and Spirited Away from Ghibli (Shame on me! I'm buying the entire collection slowly).

I did prefer this to Spirited Away but tbh they're both amazing. Just like Spirited Away the amount of attention to detail put into the world to make it come to life is astounding, both did this incredibly. I probably ended up preferring Mononoke as I'm a big fan of these old-time tales.

Anyone wanna suggest which I watch next? I've only done 2 and I'll definitely be watching them all. I've heard Howl's Moving Castle is great too, but I'd still like suggestions so I'm not blindly spending.

EDIT: I've seen Grave of the Fireflies too, its been a while.
PsychodrakeJan 18, 2010 8:48 AM
Apr 13, 2010 7:31 AM

Jun 2009
I didn't expect to watch such a stunning movie from Miyazaki after Howl's Moving Castle (which is relatively more serious and dramatic than his other works), but it happened! 9/10.
Jun 20, 2010 7:24 PM
Dec 2009
Best anime movie i have ever seen!. I loved it, Added to favourite animes.
Jul 10, 2010 5:12 AM

Feb 2010
This movie just takes the cake. love it
Jul 23, 2010 12:00 PM
Dec 2007
Best animated motion picture ever. By far. Watched it 38 times in the past ten years.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 28, 2010 3:16 PM
Jan 2010
UkyoKuonji2010 said:
My favorite movies are more for adults or teenagers. If I were younger, then it would most likely be my favorite.

MATURE MOVIES FOR MATURE MOVIE WATCHERS SUCH AS MYSELF

I thought it was good 9/10. But I don't get what was up with that jiko guy (the one in red and white). what was his motivation to rip the head off the god? Maybe I missed something but that seemed weird to me.
Jul 29, 2010 10:37 PM

Apr 2008
Divine_Judgement said:

I thought it was good 9/10. But I don't get what was up with that jiko guy (the one in red and white). what was his motivation to rip the head off the god? Maybe I missed something but that seemed weird to me.

He intended to give the head to the emperor in exchange for protection for Iron Town from the daimyos which were targeting it.
Sep 10, 2010 4:28 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Excellent movie and it was made in the 90s.

Feb 1, 2011 3:18 PM

Jan 2011
Miyazaki's finest film for sure.
Feb 11, 2011 7:29 PM

Aug 2010
Remarkable. Beautiful. Extraordinary.
May 23, 2011 1:41 AM
Jun 2007
One of the best Anime out there!
a 20 out of 10.

This movie left me with a feeling of all the ancient Japanese beliefs of long ago.
All the spirits/demons/creatures of the forest, and the way the characters interacted. All was portrayed beautifully.
And my god, the forest! I couldn't stay concentrated on the characters for some of the times because my I was too stunned by the beauty of the forest paintings in the background.

I loved the overall concept, the animation, the characters.

This movie has a touch of magic to it.
Jul 28, 2011 3:34 PM

Jan 2009
AMAZING FILM!

Aug 27, 2011 1:38 PM

Dec 2009
This Definitely was one of my favorite movies :3 I remember I had watched the movie at least like 7 times when I was younger.
Aug 29, 2011 4:18 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Requal said:
Just finished this. I wasn't too impressed, it's more of a children's moral-teaching movie.

You'd be surprised how many of the "adults" are not even as enlightened as children. Ever wonder why there are still wars and famine in the world? Humanity has a long way to go.

Do not belittle "moral story for children".
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 29, 2011 4:29 PM

Oct 2010
wakka9ca said:
Requal said:
Just finished this. I wasn't too impressed, it's more of a children's moral-teaching movie.

You'd be surprised how many of the "adults" are not even as enlightened as children. Ever wonder why there are still wars and famine in the world? Humanity has a long way to go.

Do not belittle "moral story for children".

With that point being clear, I'd add that Miyazaki in fact considers his works to be movies for children. So in that sense his focus on a moral teaching in every one of his stories is not that surprising.

That said, this movie is amazing for many reasons I'll comment someday, just saying this is my first anime (not counting childhood shows) and what definitely made me become aware of what this way of art and expression is able to give.
Oct 27, 2011 1:58 PM
Feb 2011
Simply astonishing. This is Miyazaki's grand opera. Joe Hiaishi's score is devastatingly powerful. And the flippin ARTWORK...

The only one of Miyazaki's films that I could honestly call "Flawless". His others are "Amazing" and "Incredible" but this... this is perfection. not because it's super deep or complex, but simply because I can't imagine it all meshing any better.
Dec 9, 2011 3:28 PM
Nov 2009
burntlettuce said:
Why did it take me so long to watch this great movie? I honestly don't have a clue

9/10

^Exactly my thoughts. Also, I probably would have given this a 10 if they hooked up or if they had a better character build up. Nonetheless a great movie and is very rewatchable ^^
Jan 9, 2012 11:08 PM

Nov 2009
mp said:
burntlettuce said:

9/10

^Exactly my thoughts. Also, I probably would have given this a 10 if they hooked up or if they had a better character build up. Nonetheless a great movie and is very rewatchable ^^

I think the same thing. Why the heck couldn't they end up together? I know they said their reasons but come on that would have been such an epic end if he went and became Jane's Tarzan in the woods. I still really liked it tho. definitely a great classic film. 9/10

spirited away>monoke hime>howl's imo :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2012 2:32 PM

Jul 2011
burntlettuce said:

9/10

I hear you man, except I'd have to say that for all of the Ghibli movies I've watched so far. XD
Jan 25, 2012 8:04 AM

Mar 2011
That was pretty awesome. Wasn't my favourite ending, but still an entertaining movie. Characters were pretty awesome. 9/10
Feb 12, 2012 6:15 AM

Feb 2012
One of the best movies of all times. Love the soudtrack.
May 13, 2012 2:00 PM

Feb 2012
I remember that there was always something about this movie that bugged me and that I’ve rewatched it as an adult I can see what it is. This movie has no real moral message.

The main theme of this movie is humanity vs. nature. All the problems of the movie occur because the people of Iron Town are destroying the forest to produce iron, but it also shows that the iron is the only thing that allows those people to have a life worth living. Whatever lessons the movie provides in one place, it contradicts in another. The conflicting nature helps to make the movie entertaining in my opinion, but undermines what moral lessons it tries to provide.

The end doesn’t bring any resolution. The forest will still try to protect itself, and the people will start destroying the forest again when it is necessary to maintain their quality of life. The main characters never really developed in any meaningful way as well.

What the movie did well was that it was able to catch the feeling of an epic. The story really did involve humanity and nature, and not just representations of them. The battles were grand and tragic, the forest was stunning, and the characters were interesting though one-dimensional. This is one of the best examples of how to tell a story, though I don’t think the story itself was that great.
May 13, 2012 4:03 PM

Oct 2010
Phaetons_Folly said:
I remember that there was always something about this movie that bugged me and that I’ve rewatched it as an adult I can see what it is. This movie has no real moral message.

The main theme of this movie is humanity vs. nature. All the problems of the movie occur because the people of Iron Town are destroying the forest to produce iron, but it also shows that the iron is the only thing that allows those people to have a life worth living. Whatever lessons the movie provides in one place, it contradicts in another. The conflicting nature helps to make the movie entertaining in my opinion, but undermines what moral lessons it tries to provide.

The end doesn’t bring any resolution. The forest will still try to protect itself, and the people will start destroying the forest again when it is necessary to maintain their quality of life. The main characters never really developed in any meaningful way as well.

I think that, actually, the point of the movie is to end in an utopia state: that is, the people realize that they need to live in harmony with the forest and will try from then on to take this lifestyle.

The fact there are not villains in Princess Mononoke doesn't mean that there aren't actions to be condemned and characters to be redeemed; it's not that humans and forest animals are both violent because they enjoy killing and destroying their enemy, they are violent because they feel themselves threatened, and therefore need to get rid of the thing that has turned into a menace to them.

This movie has a strong message, in fact the whole movie is built around the message, which basically is that war and confrontation only leads to more confrontation and there will never be a winner; and in this context of human vs nature it applies for a lesson on respecting nature, or more likely, on a mutual respect.

I wouldn't say that the conflicts are made attractive or specially entertaining, not at all. In fact there are more scenes showing the results of the battles than the battles themselves, and the violent acts are crude and creepy, even -specially- those comitted by Ashitaka.
Jun 23, 2012 4:07 PM

Sep 2011
Started out pretty amazing and awesome, but went downhill near the end, got too cheesy in my opinion. I would have really liked if at least some of the 'evil' people would have died painfully. Eboshi was a hypocritical b1tch, who didn't look like she cared about her people as much as she said. A minute ago she was just going to kill a god to please the emperor and now she is like "I love nature! We should live together! A wolf taught me that by eating my f*cking arm! Yay!" The other one is that Jiko guy, he was also a bastard, and yet he still lives on... I understand that they wanted to show that the Deer God was still benevolent, but I don't think they will ever truly change. Jiko for example will just go and kill another God at another place.
The two main characters were what made me really like this movie though. Both of them were awesome. I wish we could have seen more of them in action, especially San, I feel like she didn't get much action after she infiltrated the fort. And I also miss the romance between the two characters. They could have at least kissed or live happily together. I know how San feels about humans, but Ashitaka wasn't anything like those idiots :/
It was also weird that one moment Ashitaka had those powers in his arm with the blue snake-like things, but later it wasn't even really mentioned. They could have elaborated more on that if they brought it up.

Well, despite the things I mentioned, this was still a really good movie. Only my 3rd Miyazaki work, but so far it's better than Howl, but worse than Spirited Away. My favorite things about it were characters, the action and the main concept about the spirits of the forest. Taking everything into account, this movie gets a 7/10 from me. Could have been much better had it not lose it's initial charm and end with the "everyone is happy and the bad people don't get what they really deserve" theme.
RazielZeroJul 9, 2012 4:16 AM
Jul 15, 2012 4:27 PM

Jan 2011
I agree that it was a good movie, but nothing outstanding. There is sure a strong message, but the labels and/or fotos put on cigarette packages send a strong message, too, and nobody is rating them as a masterpiece ;)

I must admit that i didn't see any of Studio Ghiblis movies besides this except for Tales from Earthsea - which imho has way better music with "Teru no Uta" - especially with the scene where it used - so i can't say if this is the best Ghibli movie (which for now is still Tales from Earthsea) but it certainly isn't the best movie i've ever seen.

The music is okay, but nothing outstanding. I can't remember a single scene where it thought "the music fits perfectly" or "i want to bath in this song". The clean shots Ashitaka made were weird, too. Sure, with his "demon arm" he may have a lot of strength, but that doesn't mean you get a clean cut. The arrows would simply pass through the target, and if you want to overdo it like they did, make a lacerated wound. I mean, they didn't shy away from showing people cut into half, or losing their head, why this?

Eboshi doesn't seem to have learned too much from all this, too. Her last words in the movie? "Bring him here". So, why don't you go yourself? She is like this all the time. "Do this, do that". And while she somewhat cares about the people in the town, it's only as long as it doesn't get into her way. The people aren't the highest priority.

The forest god was probably there for millenia, and he would be until the end of time, there is no need to kill him exactly that night, while her people are attacked by the samurai, which was not really surprising. She also didn't care much about the ox herders in the beginning. Sure, you can not stop the whole caravan there, but she could have send one, or at least express her regret that she could not do something for them once she got home.

That she buys the women from the brothels is noble, same with the lepers, but that also means she has quite a lot of money, which she most likely makes by selling those weapons the whole town works for (even if it's happily) while she enjoys ordering them around (see "bring him here").

That the women and the lepers don't have anywere to go is also quite convenient.

The forest god itself was..weird. Did the want to get killed? I mean, he noticed Ashitaka in the beginning when he did not move (much) from probably several hundred meters, while he did ignore Eboshi until she shot once, and even then he only let some flowers grow on her rifle, which was not even sufficient, and he totally ignored her after that.

His design was also weird, with that head. What was the point? The other gods were animals, too. To give him a more distinct look? But why the classic stag then? He didn't even look like it was supposed to show the combination of the nature of ainmals and humans, the face was too weird for this.

Also, did Ashitaka totally put his arm around her chest there when they held the head of the forest god up? And no, not the waist. Not in the close up.
Nov 1, 2012 8:04 AM

Aug 2012
I just finished it...and I rate it 10/10 great movie although I expect that the ending will be they live together :)
Nov 17, 2012 2:56 AM
Jul 2018

Hayao Miyazaki is a genius. I just love all his works! It is a nice movie. Though a really old one, it still has impact. Become one of my favorite movies, now I want to watch all of Miyazaki's movies. ~ from old to new. I like the lesson given. DO NOT DESTROY THE FOREST! XD

Too bad that Ashitaka and San didn't end up together. They are a good pair. :3 Romance is off-limits for some of the Ghibli films after all~

10/10
Mar 6, 2013 9:47 PM

Oct 2011
I don't quite see it as a masterpiece, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Mar 31, 2013 8:48 AM
Apr 2011
6/10 Extremely overrated :/
I found Howl's and Spirited to be far better executed and entertaining movies. A little disappointed with this one after seeing all of the hype it got.
Apr 10, 2013 6:59 AM

Feb 2012
Enjoyed the movie! Better than Howl's Moving Castle for sure!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 13, 2013 11:04 PM

May 2012
that was pretty damn good.
Ive got a lot to say about this movie:
Yakul was a boss;
San x Ashitaka;
those derppy tree spirits;
really epic;
eboshi was a [insert insult of your choice here].
I really enjoyed this movie, 10/10 in my opinion
Apr 26, 2013 5:37 PM

Oct 2012
Brilliant film , watched it over and over on my VHS, yes VHS... loved the action and plot in the story.

Apr 27, 2013 8:55 PM

Nov 2012
A 9/10 from me. While the idea itself isn't awe-inspiring, it has a solid plot and execution nevertheless. Everything proceeds consistently other than the usual Ghibli's 'Protagonist will help good guys whose not really that good in essence'. That is, in every Ghibli show the protagonist will help the minor characters although they're pirates, bandits or in this case, entrepreneur who ravages the land. Simply because they met them first and not, say, the samurai in this show. Though I supposed it's barely justifiable in this case since Ashitaka is another Jesus in disguise and all his killing is out of self-defense. Negligible complaint after watching so many Ghibli show.

While it's a strong point that the characters managed to retain a shred of motivation till the end of the show, the sudden ending is quite lackluster. Would definitely prefer if they show an epilogue of sort with the cliche 'a few years later' or something. Did the ironworkers learnt their lesson? What's the fate of San and the strained relationship her 'tribe' had with the apes? Won't the samurai simply wipe out the ironworker again; all the more easier since they lost their fort now? Or perhaps they abandon the plan since the place has no value anymore with the whole town burnt.

I hate sudden ending :<.
May 17, 2013 7:09 PM

May 2013
I love this movie. This was the first Studio Ghibli movie that I watched. What I really liked about this movie is that there are no characters that are truly evil. Just people with good but conflicting beliefs.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Jun 3, 2013 1:23 PM
Feb 2013
Some observations of mine:

In both this & Spirited Away humans are discribed as bad smelling, is this mentioned in any other Studio Ghibli film? IIRC it's not mentioned in Ponyo.

Jiji is a good name for a lookout, as Jii is often used as a sound effect in Japanese for a stare.

It's implied that Moro suffered predudice from the other wolves for adopting San.

When San attempts to drive Yakul back to the wild mirror images her own refusal to live with humans.

The writers managed to avoid using the easy options of killed off Lady Eboshi & having Ashitaka & San stay together at the end.
Jun 11, 2013 5:23 PM

Mar 2010
Deer God!
Jul 7, 2013 7:41 PM

Dec 2009
The movie was ok but it ,at least from my point of view, doesn't rise up to a masterpiece as the greed driven characters seemed exaggerated at some points, also Ashitaka was too overpowered compared to everyone else.
Jul 23, 2013 4:18 AM

Sep 2012
looks like this is in the next release of studio ghibli blurays
going by past ghibli release schedules, that means a December release is likely along with another title since they go in 2's
more than likely its going to be PM/ocean waves and spirited away/the cat returns

and then that means they only have 2 catalog titles to go after that, so the latest well see spirited away getting a bluray release is july next year along with either the cat returns or ocean waves, assuming the 2 ghibli movies in production/cinemas dont change the schedule.
Sep 30, 2013 1:18 PM

Oct 2009
It was ok, it didn't really grasp my attention.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

39 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:59 AM

» Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great? ( 1 2 )

EmperorDemonGava - Jul 1, 2012

75 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM

Poll: » This movie, mononoke hime or nausicaa valley of the wind

Hime03 - Apr 7, 2019

9 by rafasc33 »»
Nov 27, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.