Forum Settings
Forums

Is watching Shoujo animes as a guy strange?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 31, 2014 10:45 AM
Noordman

Aug 2008
I don't find it strange
I live in Norway and yes it is cold and snow is everywhere. We have polar bears going freely in the streets, and you cannot reach us by phone
Aug 31, 2014 10:46 AM

Jun 2013
Yes. Unless you're gay. Then still yes.
Aug 31, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2014
Aerodust said:
I watch whatever my shit taste desires.
I think it would be weirder if you watched something you didn't enjoy just to fit in.
Aug 31, 2014 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
Don't worry about all that Shoujo/ Shounen is for girl/boy crap. Good Anime is still Good Anime. Just because people say its gay for boys to watch Shoujo, doesn't mean your gay. Maybe you actually Are Gay, but that doesn't have to do with watching Shoujo. Just watch whatever any anime you want because your the one watching, not other people.
Aug 31, 2014 1:11 PM

Jun 2014
Lordfront said:
Don't worry about all that Shoujo/ Shounen is for girl/boy crap. Good Anime is still Good Anime. Just because people say its gay for boys to watch Shoujo, doesn't mean your gay. Maybe you actually Are Gay, but that doesn't have to do with watching Shoujo. Just watch whatever any anime you want because your the one watching, not other people.

What anime is that from?

Aug 31, 2014 2:04 PM

Nov 2010
I love Natsume and it's labeled as Shoujo.
Aug 31, 2014 2:07 PM

Apr 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
allflying said:

Good job, you're adding one more reason why its weird for a (implied, straight) guy to watch otome.
Not really, I don't watch otome/reverse harems or regular harems to self insert so that's irrelevant. Uta Pri, for example, has plenty of great songs and I enjoyed the comedy. Not everyone decides what they'll watch based on their penis.

Why not?
Aug 31, 2014 2:17 PM

Sep 2009
I guess it's kinda weird, though there are some shoujo titles that I really liked.

For example, Peach Girl was a favorite of mine (I read the manga as well), and if you look at my list and the type of anime I like to watch, you could say it is pretty weird. Vampire Knight was another anime I enjoyed a lot.

Another series that I got hooked to was about the short guy and the tall girl (I forgot what was the name of this series lol), but it was really sweet and enjoyable.
Aug 31, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2010
I remember when I first started reading manga that wasn't in my demographic. I always asked the librarian or cashier to wrap a fake cover around it, or I would stack something that looked more appropriate for me on top of it when I set it aside. It gets tiring though. It gets tiring having to read a certain way so people avoid seeing the covers. Its gets tiring to always keep my head on a swivel so that nobody saw some of the things I read. But what's most tiring is trying to be discrete over what my heart enjoys. Does it matter who the story tries to speak to if it speaks to you? I think it shouldn't. Watch the tales you like, 'cause it'd be strange not to. ^^
Aug 31, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
Amphetamine said:
I guess it's kinda weird, though there are some shoujo titles that I really liked.

For example, Peach Girl was a favorite of mine (I read the manga as well), and if you look at my list and the type of anime I like to watch, you could say it is pretty weird. Vampire Knight was another anime I enjoyed a lot.

Another series that I got hooked to was about the short guy and the tall girl (I forgot what was the name of this series lol), but it was really sweet and enjoyable.

I think the one about a short guy and the tall girl you're talking about is"Lovely Complex". It's one of the few actually entertaining shoujo series with school settings.
Aug 31, 2014 2:48 PM

Dec 2012
iSuckAtWriting said:
I remember when I first started reading manga that wasn't in my demographic. I always asked the librarian or cashier to wrap a fake cover around it, or I would stack something that looked more appropriate for me on top of it when I set it aside. It gets tiring though. It gets tiring having to read a certain way so people avoid seeing the covers. Its gets tiring to always keep my head on a swivel so that nobody saw some of the things I read. But what's most tiring is trying to be discrete over what my heart enjoys. Does it matter who the story tries to speak to if it speaks to you? I think it shouldn't. Watch the tales you like, 'cause it'd be strange not to. ^^

When I was in middle school, a few friends and I would go to the BX to rent some movies each month. Every time I went I would stop in the anime section and my eyes would be fixated on some of the shoujo titles such as Kodocha or CCS. I always played it off as "yo let's get this girly shit for John's birthday", but I really wanted to try it.
Oct 17, 2016 3:51 PM

Aug 2015
No. I watch many shoujo series despite being a boy, but obviously i prefer more Shonen

Oct 17, 2016 3:55 PM

Dec 2007
When you're an avid anime fan, you can watch anything. Josei, Boku no Pico, Mars of Destruction, Dementia, RWBY, Cory in the House, Chinese anime... I can go on, and on...
Oct 17, 2016 4:00 PM

Jul 2009
The identity of a cartoon shouldn't matter at all
Oct 17, 2016 6:07 PM

Jul 2016
Hahahahahaha no dude, seriously, your just fine.
Oct 17, 2016 6:45 PM

Jan 2015
I don't think it's strange. I watch shounen and I'm a grown woman.

Shoujo is just aimed at younger girls doesn't mean that younger girls are the only one that are allowed to watch it. Refer to my signature dude, don't care so much about what people think. Life would be a lot easier believe me. :)
ArillionOct 17, 2016 6:48 PM
Oct 29, 2016 7:10 PM
Jul 2016
Two years later, I wonder if this guy still likes Shoujo
Oct 29, 2016 7:13 PM

Jun 2016
nodame is not shoujo. take a look again.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 29, 2016 7:15 PM

Aug 2015
Not at all strange, there are some very good shoujo series.

Oct 29, 2016 7:16 PM

Jun 2016
there are shoujo that are not focusing on girly stuff mostly.
like nijiiro days, lovely complex, kaicho wa maid sama and many more.
it depends on what kind of story you choose to watch.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 29, 2016 7:24 PM

Aug 2013
I haven't watched a lot of shoujo. But they're actually pretty good I've found, usually.

Except the ones with that weird giant hands artstyle with the crazy faces. Always have a tough time swallowing more than an episode or two of those.
Oct 29, 2016 7:28 PM

Oct 2016
I liked a lot of shoujo anime and I'm sure I'm not gay lol.

It really depends on the plot... if it's too shoujo (like NANA), I cannot probably finish it.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Oct 29, 2016 7:28 PM

Dec 2009
Nope. Some shoujo are actually pretty deep and complex. Anyone who doesn't watch it because they are self-conscience about what people say are missing out on a lot.
Oct 29, 2016 8:24 PM

Feb 2015
Mitsuo-kun said:
Hey i don't know if this is the right place to ask this but this has been on my mind for quite some time.
So im a 16 year old guy and im totally into Shoujo animes is that strange?

I've read and watched quite a few of it... Not really strange if you're a "romanticist" kind of guy...

AzuStar said:
Red_Keys said:
Shoujo > shounen.

umm no

shojo=shonen

Ehhhh, guys both of you are doing it wrong

CGDCT>>>>>>> Shoujo + Shounen + One Piece + Naruto...

Both of you are doing it wrong... No, no no, you shouldn't do that...

Ehhh... I guess if you're tired with the constant cliche turn of events in shoujo...

silversongwriter said:
No, it doesn't matter if your male or female. But it does mean you got bad taste

But... But... My taste is superior to all...
_Ako_Oct 29, 2016 8:28 PM
Oct 29, 2016 8:38 PM

Aug 2013
Imo there's are no such things just for guys and just for girls. It's kinda sexist to think
that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

153 by BasilZero »»
3 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

3 by Blackfire2340 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

67 by jieanteater »»
29 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

62 by Nyron »»
34 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 3 hours ago

6 by Nyron »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.