Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 24, 2009 1:39 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I kind of suspected that the neighbor would take the land from the beginning.. It hadkind of a Jean de Florette type feeling to it.

I liked it, especially that Enma Ai was still around at the end and that she had a computer.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Istra
Nov 26, 2009 11:57 AM

Apr 2009
I was glad when she didn't pull it, but then the open-endedness made me worry for Yuuko. She might pull it in the end after all.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Jan 1, 2010 8:15 AM

Nov 2009
wow its messed p she should have keep the farm...
Mar 21, 2010 3:08 AM

Aug 2008
Such an ambiguous ending. >.<
That bastard is the worst!
May 3, 2010 8:30 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 22, 2010 9:44 PM

Oct 2009
This was so amazing omg.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2010 5:33 AM

Jul 2008
I am with Tsugumi on the Jigoku Shoujo issue. Her dad needs to stop trying to convince strangers to not take revenge. They have no reason to listen to them, and in most cases he doesn't even understand their situation. He is starting to get on my nerves by trying to stop Ai every time.

Other than that, nice episode aha.
Jul 8, 2010 3:51 PM

Dec 2009
That's why way-too-friendly neighbors are bad O.o ..
Jul 10, 2010 2:20 PM
May 2010
What is it about Hajime that makes him annoying even though I agree with him? He needs to stop immediately turning himself into a villain with crap like taking the doll. He also might want to focus on the whole you-go-to-hell-too thing.

FINALLY the person doesn't pull the string. Only took TWENTY-ONE EPISODES. And she might pull it anyway. God dammit.
Oct 14, 2010 6:47 PM

Mar 2010
hmm.. this is the first time hajime was annoying .. she should have pulled the string this time ... eventhough I like the idea that finally they didnt and in cases its not always right .. but I think this was .. now she is out of her precious house ... and the neighbour got what he wanted
Oct 17, 2010 5:35 PM

Sep 2009
I understand what Tsugumi is saying but she needs to pay more attention to the fact that
these ppl go to hell TOO after making the covenant.
Esp since this girl was her friend wth.
Dec 25, 2010 2:15 PM

Dec 2010
So sad... Her life will be like hell from now on, until she dies. On the other side, if she pulled the string she would have been doomed for good. And she would be in the situation of the geezer from 13th episode. She would live only to wait for Hell to come.

This kind of dramatic episodes make this anime so great.
MeritasDec 25, 2010 2:36 PM
Dec 27, 2010 2:45 PM

Jan 2010
that bastard should go to hell. oh welll, she didnt pull the string
Jan 6, 2011 1:57 AM

Aug 2010
Most of the people in the series really should go to Hell....but how many of them have been worth going to Hell just to send the other person?

Perhaps the last resort, saving your life ones but the rest seem kinda :/

Anyway, really loving this series.
Jan 11, 2011 11:12 AM

Dec 2007
GarLogan78 said:
I am with Tsugumi on the Jigoku Shoujo issue. Her dad needs to stop trying to convince strangers to not take revenge. They have no reason to listen to them, and in most cases he doesn't even understand their situation. He is starting to get on my nerves by trying to stop Ai every time.

Other than that, nice episode aha.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Jan 29, 2011 8:38 PM

Mar 2009
Tsugumi has gone from cute, innocent girl to a sadistic, cruel one. :(

Hajime is a bro. I'm cheering him on from the sides! He's not the best at stating his case though, sometimes. XD
Feb 22, 2011 4:24 AM

Jan 2011
alright, so i was kinda with hajime in a couple of episodes of not pulling the strings
but now he doesn't seem to solve the problem for them
he simply says don't pull it and pretending to understand the person that was tormented
his really pissing me off now =="
its true what Tsugumi said
he makes it sound like w.e bad happen to the person doesn't matter, at least do something to help
not 'i understand how you feel'...
May 19, 2011 8:16 PM

Mar 2010
tsugumi is annoying me..
and not her father
she needs to think about that you also go to hell when you take revenge
Aug 10, 2011 4:33 PM
Jun 2010
^ My thoughts exactly.

Then again, she's probably too young to understand that an eternity in Hell isn't worth a single, fleeting moment of satisfaction.

Hajime's still going about this all wrong, though. He shouldn't be focusing so much on the "Revenge isn't all it's cracked up to be" and instead on the "Damning yourself to eternal torment to get revenge isn't all it's cracked up to be."
Aug 11, 2011 7:11 PM
Oct 2009
Yet again, Hajime interrupts Team Hell Girl. Dude, even your daughter thinks that what you're doing is wrong. You'd think he'd get the message (I mean, he even hit poor Tsugumi just for speaking out against him). :I
Oct 1, 2011 9:28 AM

Feb 2009
Someone kill Hajime please!!!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 11, 2011 2:15 PM

Jul 2009
I'm on Hajime's side to be honest, and he's the only reason I'm still watching this show. You shouldn't try to justify doing the wrong thing. Just think about it, the asshole will go to hell anyway, why should an innocent person follow?
Nov 27, 2011 8:21 PM

Feb 2010
Poor Wanyuudo. The poor dude couldn't catch a break this episode, could he?
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Dec 21, 2011 1:12 PM
Sep 2009
I agree with Hajime's thinking but the way he does things is not effective at all what makes him annoying.

However, the one who pissed me off the most this time was his daughter. I do agree that revenge can be justified sometimes but most of the times it should be forgotten or at least taken care in another way.
This episode made her look like a villain "Pull the string, pull the string!" she is selling her sisters/friends soul right there! How exactly does it make her any better than those bastards?! She is basically killing an innocent person here! She is so stuck up on revenge that she totally forgets the fact that other person will also end up in hell!

I could kind of disagree with Hajime if other person wasn't taken to hell too.
Jan 25, 2012 4:46 PM

Jan 2012
hmm. its an intresting one.. but i kinda have to agree with Hajime, although yes he is annoying and going about this all the time, in this epiisode he was rather forceful by taking the straw doll away and throwing it in the water... i agree with what most people are saying, he needs to stop being all 'revenge is wrong, and not the only opintion blah blah' but focus on the fact that your going to hell too... alot of the episodes especially the ones where people have died, and they then take revenge on the killer....

Dont they stop to think... right okay, yes im pissed off!! yes, i hate him and he deserves to go to hell... but wouldn't it be better knowing that when you did pass on you could be with your loved one or whatever in heaven? rather than spending a lifetime of burning in hell? D:
May 18, 2012 11:28 AM

Feb 2012
Hajime is skilled as an investigative reporter, and as is such, he's able to find the revenge-seeker and discern their situation very quickly, and is able to do so with only Tsugumi's account of a short series of images and lines of dialogue.

But damn, he's the last person in the world I'd want to counsel me.

I couldn't agree more with his philosophy -- nothing in the physical world is worth sending both yourself and another person, deserving or not, to an eternity of torment in Hell. Hajime has every right to intrude upon these people's lives. And, mind you, I'm saying this as a strong libertarian, mainly because nothing in real life compares to Hell as presented in Jigoku Shoujo.

But Hajime needs to rethink his anti-revenge pitch, like many here have suggested. Turn the focus to the revenge-seekers themselves spending an eternity in Hell.

He also has no business slapping Tsugumi -- and if she weren't so precocious, I would question using her as a Jigoku Shoujo tracking device to begin with.
Aug 7, 2012 1:23 PM

May 2012
nice episode IMO she should have pulled it, though the ending more or less makes it that she'll contact hell girl once more to take eventually revenge!
Sep 15, 2012 1:53 AM

Apr 2011
I wouldn't pull the string, because her father would never want her daughter to suffer in hell w/o any parole . At least at life, she can still make it big and create happiness for herself.

Bit surprise why Hajime did not tell his daughter that. No father would want their children to exact revenge, that cause a backlash like going to hell.
Nov 27, 2012 9:52 AM

Nov 2012
TALK ABOUT AN IMPROVEMENT. considering the abominable pile of excrement that was the previous episode, this episode is a veritable masterpiece all by itself!

this episode has everything i've been waiting for: a genuinely interesting and moving backstory for the (potential) revenge-taker; finally someone who DIDN'T PULL THE STRING; hajime finally slapping that annoying and precocious child of his who treats the idea of hell with such laissez-faire ease that (as a few have already noted) she ends up seeming sadistic and cold.

just. what an episode! seeing how the last few episodes (20 left aside and eternally suppressed) have been hit and miss (for example, that corgi episode was just dreadful until the older woman's being a genuine murderer was revealed) i'm ecstatic that the series is finally delivering again.

hopefully i haven't jinxed myself for episode 22 by thinking that now...
Dec 12, 2012 10:16 PM

May 2010
Once again, I end this episode conflicted. I want to be on hajime's side, but these bastards are so evil that they certainly deserve to be sent to hell. Even so, even for someone who seems horrible, lots of times they are misguided and they can come back to the side of good. If you think about it, an eternity in hell isn't just a few years, a whole life, 10 lives or even 100 lives, but much much more. There's really not very many things that can justify sending one soul to eternal damnation, much less two souls...
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 11, 2013 10:50 PM

Feb 2011
So the show finally gives an episode where someone doesn't pull the string and it ends up leaving the viewer with a bitter taste in their mouth, lol. Also, I agree with everyone who says Hajime is approaching his argument wrong. I bet his daughter would have agreed with him if he brought up the fact that her friend would go to hell too.
いっぺん死んでみる?
Feb 24, 2013 7:16 PM

Oct 2012
OriginANIME said:
1 - Hajime needs to mind his own business! Seriously!
2 - How dare he slap Tsugumi!

Not normal parenting? She really shouldn't have pulled it at the end it's not like she could get the land back. Interesting episode though.
Mar 8, 2013 8:30 AM

Oct 2009
Hajime is completely in the right, and even if there were no consequences for the person pulling the string, he'd still be right.

No finite crime can possibly deserve an infinite punishment, and the problems presented are often solvable without resorting to supernatural means.

However, since no one in this show (or indeed much of the audience judging by these threads) seems to want to think about that Hajime should seriously focus on the whole part about the person being avenged going to hell too.

The few decades they get left on this earth with the object of their revenge banished are going to start looking pretty fucking insignificant after the first hundred thousand million billion trillion centuries of torture they themselves will be subjected to, with an infinitely higher amount to look forward to.

Hell, they'll regret it after the first ten seconds of burning in hellfire, most of them can't even handle the little preview they're sometimes treated to when Ai explains the contract to them.

This whole thing is a massive obstacle to my enjoyment of the show, I really have to fight my brain to look past it.

Another angle is that we know in this world that both Heaven and Hell exist, assuming the system isn't totally fucked up, Yuko's father is in Heaven waiting for her, if Yuko goes through with the contract she'll never be reuinited with her father and he will have to know that his daughter is suffering eternally because of her desire to help him, so she'd be consigning her father to another form of hell entirely.
TopgunUKMar 8, 2013 8:33 AM
Jun 18, 2013 12:43 PM

Jun 2012
interesting episode we might see her back since we saw her looking at the pc. I got a feeling that Tsugumi will sent Hajime to hell in the future all thought I dont know why.

1 - Hajime needs to mind his own business! Seriously!
2 - How dare he slap Tsugumi!

Nvaier said:
I'm on Hajime's side to be honest, and he's the only reason I'm still watching this show. You shouldn't try to justify doing the wrong thing. Just think about it, the asshole will go to hell anyway, why should an innocent person follow?

if some one pulls the string you can't call that person innocent.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jul 22, 2013 5:12 PM
Aug 2012
tskumi really has the right idea about all this, im glad shes constantly combating shibata
Dec 22, 2013 11:27 PM
Dec 2010
I agree wholly with TopgunUK. What is it that you get in return for sending someone who has wronged you down into an eternity ( This is much longer than your lifetime) in hell. You get the rest of your life in regret of your decision and with the anxiety of going down to hell. As a side note you will never see anyone you have loved or will love in the future as you will be enjoying red hot pain.

Does it seem worth it? Especially as the person who gets sent to hell may not even deserve it, remember the old guy with the pensioners home? Yes the best part about this system is that you can send innocent people there too if you so wish.

The reason tsumugi thinks the way she does is because she doesn't understand the world yet. She sees things in black and white, while the world rarely works that way. As adults know the world is mostly different shades of grey. This is why Tsumugi can have such simple view, and as such I believe that Hajime is right.
Feb 9, 2014 3:57 AM

Jan 2014
I totally agree with Hajime. Revenging that way is futile.
I do not agree Hajime's ways on imposing his thoughts.

I like Tsugumi, and I agree with her too. Taking revenge is absolutely right. But Tsugumi, please, think twice, why you have to pay too?

I agree with all, but when you let anger possess your mind, and only anger, nothing good comes out.
May 2, 2014 9:38 PM

May 2008
I agree completely with several posters especially TopgunUK.

No one seems to even *try* to think past the immediate satisfaction of their current situation and seems to ignore that they would suffer the same once they died. And the one character they have to teach them that does it so terribly that I'm not surprised no one takes his words seriously. He never tries to make them think about themselves or their loved ones that are dead. That, to me, is basically the whole problem with the show. And why Hajime is annoying as crap.

Hajime seems to someone who tries to stop Hell Girl because of his ideals than a desire to truly help people. Only once did I get the feeling he wanted to truly help someone.

I will give a point for finally having a episode where they didn't untie it, but I do believe Yuko gave in in the end. All it would take is for her to have one bad moment to push her back into doing it.
May 4, 2014 3:59 AM

Jun 2011
I forgot, but since when did they mentioned that they will suffer (as in torture) eternally in Hell after they died? Fucking slut got her heaven right there. People who said that these bastards shouldn't die/be killed, I wonder what would you have done if you were in her shoes.

Hajime's "I-am-so-right!" attitude really pisses me off. I liked him at first but now I just wish I could see one less second of him. Continue preaching.

"Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi... Tsugumi..."
How about you wait until something really happens to her before you quit? You might feel better that way, I guess?

By the way, eternal torture, to be honest, it will just hurt at first, after a while you will get used to it and it won't feel as much of a torture anymore, I think.

Edit:
Gone__Forever__ said:
Yet again, Hajime interrupts Team Hell Girl. Dude, even your daughter thinks that what you're doing is wrong. You'd think he'd get the message (I mean, he even hit poor Tsugumi just for speaking out against him). :I

The last sentence, so much truth. What makes Hajime thinks his choice is the right one? He is just mad people are going against him, and had to resort to brute. How about he try to understand Tsugumi, and see from her point of view? Reminds me so much of these users on MAL who don't even try to look things from another's point of view regarding anime/manga.
Edit2: I am not saying Hajime is wrong, but he is not right either, neither am I.
ToG25thBaamMay 4, 2014 4:10 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 15, 2014 11:31 AM

Jul 2012
I'm on hajimes side completely,

Revenge isn't the answer yes you will find assholes in this world and if they commit a sin there'll go to hell anyways and condemning your self to hell along with them is a fucking stupid idea

Your life is short but when you die you ether go to hell or heaven depending.

Look at it this way

If someone dies and they was close to you do you think they'd want you to condemn your self to hell .......What if they was waiting for you in heaven but that wouldn't be possible because your soul belongs to hell.

It's the most stupidest thing ever ever.........getting revenge won't bring back the dead and its something your loved ones would never want you to do.

Yes I understand there's bastards in this world but life is a short thing and hell is forever,

Some of the reasons why some of the characters pulled the sting is stupid reasons or misunderstandings or jealously

Like the major he didn't do anything and the twin she was a jealous girl who wanted her own way and she wasn't the one whipping her. And the vet not doing anything for the dog

I understand murderers but most of these reason are idiotic .............................Sorry but hajime has a point when you fall pick your self up dust off your self and move on and that's that
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jul 31, 2014 3:00 AM

Aug 2010
Remember kids, unless you sell your soul to the devil and banish people into Hell, only bad things will happen to you as if some poor writer tried to force events around you in a convulated mess!

Ps: I hate Tsugumi.
Oct 4, 2014 2:09 AM

Nov 2013
Hajime once again throwing a wrench into Hell correspondence's plans. *sigh* I hope Hell Correspondence fucking kicks that dude's ass for getting in the way of everything.

Oct 4, 2014 2:09 AM

Nov 2013
Aniki1990 said:
Poor Wanyuudo. The poor dude couldn't catch a break this episode, could he?
Felt bad for him. He got thrown away twice.

Feb 15, 2015 10:22 AM

Jan 2014
Someone doesn't pull the string for the first time...
Good episode.
May 28, 2015 11:01 AM
Oct 2014
The one thing that annoyed me in this episode. Was Hajime and Tsugumi. I am on Hajime's side for the fact the person pulling the string goes to hell as well, but I'm sure he does know about this yet doesnt say anything like that which actually likely stopped people more often.
I can see where Tsugumi is coming from but that whole argument could of easily been avoided. While I can see where shes coming from I also disagree as the person pulling the string is still ending up a murderer them self.
Jul 20, 2015 5:25 AM

Jul 2014
I can totally see where Hajime is coming from, but it's hard to agree with someone who's trying so hard to shove his ideals down others' throats. If people want to send someone to Hell, he has no right to stop them. They know the consequences of pulling the string, and more often than not (read: basically all the time) the person on the receiving end had it coming and completely deserved it.
Sep 19, 2015 11:09 PM
Jan 2013
I've been power-watching these episodes and finally need to post after watching this episode.

The daughter has more wisdom than that idealized idiot of a reporter father, who of course was a sleezy paparazzi selling secrets to make money before all these things started.

At first, he's running around trying to save the people being sent to Hell. Then he is trying to keep the people who want to enter the covenant with Ai from pulling the string. Then he smacked his daughter for questioning his reasoning? He is a 'baka' of the highest degree.

If you are in such a dire situation that you feel there is no way out, that things have been done to you or your loved ones that cannot be forgiven, your life is already a living Hell, so why not, if the opportunity presents itself, use Hell Girl's services. When Ai tells you of the price, many of the people in the episodes experience a vision of the Hell that awaits them. That taste should be burned into their memories. I don't think they take the act of pulling the string lightly.

On the flip side you do see the that sometimes their vengeance backfires on them, because they ended up thinking of this as an advantage to them (the doll one for example)

The ones that hurt the most are the ones where if they didn't hesitate to pull the string, things could have been in a much better place (the girl with the dogs for instance). However, she had plenty of opportunities to resolve the situation with that old bitch before it all went down hill - maybe some rat poison in the dinner? Hit her over the head with a skillet and push her down the stairs?
Nov 9, 2015 10:18 AM

Feb 2015
danieltortoisee said:
I can totally see where Hajime is coming from, but it's hard to agree with someone who's trying so hard to shove his ideals down others' throats. If people want to send someone to Hell, he has no right to stop them.

^^So it's okay to kill people if someone thinks they deserve it? Cause that's what sending them to Hell is. Killing them. It's a murder, even if those people are bad.

I'm really surprised how many people on the comments think that pulling the string is the right choice. I mean, yes.. she had to leave her house but it isn't end of the world. Her dad was already dead, and well I do think that the neighbor was the lowest kind of human and I hate seeing him get away with it, but is it enough reason to sentence yourself for eternity in Hell. I mean, you can think your life sucks now, but at least it wont last forever and you can almost always do something to change your situation. Dead people don't need revenge, they are already gone.

It's sad to see Tsugumi and Hajime-chan fighting. I really like both of them. I do question some of the ways Hajime does things, but I do think he is right to stop people pulling the string. There is usually other options to how to deal with things, and in the end getting revenge wont make those people happy and it can't bring back what they've lost. So in the end no one wins.
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Jan 3, 2016 1:41 AM

Jan 2015
Really ridiculous that it seems like everyone forgets the part where the person who makes the contract with Ai goes to hell too. Tsugumi should've cared about her friend enough to not want her to pull the string so that she doesn't go to hell. What kind of stupid logic is this that the characters seem to have forgotten such an important aspect of the anime??
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.