Aug 30, 2014 5:56 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Beck

MAL Series Information Page - Beck

Score: 8.46 (scored by 52343 users)
Ranked: #118
Popularity: #218

Original Spotlight Thread - Beck

Please approach this thread as a critical review of the work in question. Avoid fallacious arguments to the best of your ability while taking these criteria into account.

Story:
Characters:
Art / Animation:
Sound / Music design:

Other production elements.

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions completely.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. Everyone has the right to their opinion, please try to be respectful to each others views and formulate constructive arguments in response to the work being spotlighted. [/b]

Results of the September 20th 2014 vote count(Y-N-A): 13-20-3

This anime got shot down with a yes percentage of 39%
WilioOct 2, 2014 10:16 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 1, 2014 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
a lot of work creating original music, and a solid coming of age story. Sensibly slow paced for realism. Good animation and an art style that fit it well. A cast of real characters and not tropes. for some reason I was really bored with it though, and I didn't really end up liking any of the characters that much. Like despite the fact it did everything it was supposed to do to have them grow on me, I just couldn't seem to care that much. I've even watched it twice and it just wasn't super memorable or special to me. On the fence with this one.
Its a separate deal so it won't sway my vote on the matter but the English dub totally rocks on this project.
Sep 8, 2014 5:28 AM

Jan 2009
Beck was one of the most painful anime I ever watched. It's not like I hated it because it's completely shit, though. The show even has some strong points like the bigger stage performances or the very atmospheric evening pool singing scene. But for every good scene we got two bad ones in return. I forced myself to forget most of the painful things but what I do remember are very forced bully parts and the hilarious mystery surrounding that guy's (whatshisname?) guitar.

Besides the mostly terribad writing and story, a music show has to convince with it's songs and performances. Beck manages to kinda do so at times. The stage performances generally look cool thanks to most of the budget being thrown at them (unfortunately, the rest of the show looks like the remaining budget was around 1$) and they are scattered well among the show's screentime (or so I believe to remember).

The problem with the music however are the engrish songs. The japanese singing is generally pleasant to listen to but the songs contain an awful amount of engrish. So much that it was unbearable at times. I was lucky enough that I downloaded a dual audio release, so I could switch to the english dub when it became unbearable. The downside is that the english singing is not as good as in the japanese version.

All in all I believe the show had a lot of potential but wasted most of it with high school-tier writing, too much english and either a wrong allocation of budget or unfortunately not enough of it.
Sep 9, 2014 4:35 AM

Oct 2008
I can't argue about the musical element needing a much bigger budget. Beck didn't have the same quality as Nana or Detroit Metal City, which had higher production values. The strength of Beck is in the realistic story telling and the infectious optimism and atmospheric nostalgia that permeates throughout. This coming of age story really hit home for me. I know I'm not the only person who couldn't stop watching this one. It was like a 48 hour crack addiction. I Even took a day off work and forgot to eat, drink or sleep. First day, I watched until I couldn't keep my eyes open any more, probably over a 12 hours session. Day two, woke up finally ate something and then started watching the series and couldn't stop when it came time to go to work Called in and continued the epic marathon. Any story that can hold my attention that well is something that I wouldn't mind seeing in our relations. The story contains a wonderful moral structure that continues to reinforce the idea that hard work and dedication to a craft will pay off if you believe in yourself and never quit. The level of inspiration, comradely and positivity is exemplary in this age of depression and nihilism. I think it's a great show for everyone who appreciates the dedication it takes in becoming a successful musician or human being for that matter. Yes from me.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.