Forum Settings
Forums

How come pople from poor countries are usually less depressed than civilized people? Does money and higher standard of living bring depression?

New
Aug 29, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2014

After doing a thorough analisys of maps showing suicidal rates over the world, I observed people from less civilized countries suicides less.
Is it because they live a chill without civilization worries, is it because they are killed so much there isn't room for suiciding? I'm more inclined to believe it is the lack of advencements that make them be so much more chill than us.
Think about it, you have tons of things to worry right now, but imagine the worries you had in the stone age? Obviously I'm not saying poor countries live in the stone age, but it's just for the comparision.

The more rich and developped people live in, the more depressed they become.
Does this study stand correct? If anyone here works with the society scientists please go ahead and explain scientifically this fact to me. Or just give you your opinion even if you're not expert.
If anyone here lives in a third world country your contribution will be good too.
To think is the living of the believer. To believe, is to think.
pw: qwertyuiop
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 29, 2014 5:36 PM
Apr 2014
They are struggling to live, why would they suicide?

THE RED KING
Aug 29, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2014
Because we suffer from first world problems.
Aug 29, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
Basically I'd say they're too busy trying to survive to spare a thought about why they're alive.

Too busy running away from lions to pontificate the meaning of life (or lack thereof) and sink into a suicidal depression.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 29, 2014 5:39 PM

Jun 2014
Lice said:
Yeas but logically if you're struggling to live, to eat, to piss etc why would you think less about suicide than people who live well?
Aug 29, 2014 5:39 PM
Mar 2014
"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know" - Hemingway.
Thinking never leads to anything good....

That map might as well be for the percentage of religious affiliation too.
Religion makes people happier.
Aug 29, 2014 5:40 PM

Jul 2013
ReignSixx said:
Aug 29, 2014 5:41 PM

Jun 2014
If I lvied in a south american shithole like argentina brazil chile mexico etc I would just suicide.
Seems more logical, if I lived in Norway why the hell would I kill myself? I would be grateful with god for liking me.
Aug 29, 2014 5:41 PM

Mar 2014
That survey is over a decade old, and the countries in white are "no data", not zero. Those are the backwater countries that don't have a government capable of even monitoring its own people.
Aug 29, 2014 5:42 PM
Apr 2014
Kokororin said:
Lice said:
Yeas but logically if you're struggling to live, to eat, to piss etc why would you think less about suicide than people who live well?

Why would they? They are trying to keep alive, why in the world would they think about killing themselves?
Like people in some parts of Africa, they struggle to get food and survive. They WANT to live. They don't have time to have silly problems we have.

THE RED KING
Aug 29, 2014 5:43 PM
Mar 2014
Kokororin said:
If I lvied in a south american shithole like argentina brazil chile mexico etc I would just suicide.
Seems more logical, if I lived in Norway why the hell would I kill myself? I would be grateful with god for liking me.

>listing countries that aren't even third world ones
>norway is better than those because god will like you for living there
>used the word logical

I don't even... dafuq yo.
Aug 29, 2014 5:46 PM
Mar 2014
Lice said:
Kokororin said:

Why would they? They are trying to keep alive, why in the world would they think about killing themselves?
Like people in some parts of Africa, they struggle to get food and survive. They WANT to live. They don't have time to have silly problems we have.
I think everybody wants to live. They'd gladly switch their not so silly problems for your silly problems any day, and to boot they'd even be happier than you with the exact same that you have.
Aug 29, 2014 5:47 PM

Jun 2014
Lice said:
Kokororin said:

That's what I'm arguing about.
Why would you struggle to eat in south america instead of ending your pain?
And if you live in a good place you should be grateful for not struggling in life.
Killing youself when you live like kings is disrespectful with people who live in shitholes.
They are the one who have the right to end their pain, not us like ungrateful idiots who kill ourselves for silly reasons while there are people starving elsewhere.

SovietStrawberry said:
Kokororin said:

>used the word logical

Which one of those isn't third world?
Are these all your arguments?
Aug 29, 2014 5:48 PM

Mar 2014
Kokororin said:

1.) Bruh, did you just call my motherland of South America a shithole? *downvotes*

2.) It's only "logical" because you're aware of the better alternatives. For people who live in third world countries, chances are they don't know much about a better lifestyle because they're accustomed to their poor lifestyle. And if they do, then they're more likely to work harder to live that better lifestyle instead of taking the stupid route and committing suicide just because they live in a "shithole."

3) Your God is dead.

Jul 2013
We Brazilians live literally in the mud. But we are very happy.

Mar 2014
'Civilized' people, as you call them, live fast-paced lives more often than not and have higher expectations and more demands set upon them compared to poorer people. They also have more choices available to them, and constantly dealing with how to make the best choice as fast as possible can leave people anxious and pretty depressed. Living affluently means worrying about your assets and the state of your future, and increased levels of worry always lead to stress and depression. Or that's how it used to be anyway. Those statistics are pretty old though.

Mar 2014
PrimeX said:
ReignSixx said:

This made me laugh more than I'm willing to admit.

edit: grammar is hard
Aug 29, 2014 5:51 PM

Jun 2014
kamensentai said:
We Brazilians live literally in the mud. But we are very happy.
Well you look very happy on your forum avatar.
Aug 29, 2014 5:53 PM
Mar 2014
Kokororin said:
Lice said:

That's what I'm arguing about.
Why would you struggle to eat in south america instead of ending your pain?
And if you live in a good place you should be grateful for not struggling in life.
Killing youself when you live like kings is disrespectful with people who live in shitholes.
They are the one who have the right to end their pain, not us like ungrateful idiots who kill ourselves for silly reasons while there are people starving elsewhere.

SovietStrawberry said:

>used the word logical

Which one of those isn't third world?
Are these all your arguments?
You're either a troll or an idiot, why would I make "arguments" with you?
Aug 29, 2014 5:55 PM
Apr 2014
Why wouldn't you want to live? Once you're dead it's all over. They try to survive and hope for a better tomorrow. You people take your live for granted.

THE RED KING
Aug 29, 2014 5:55 PM

Mar 2014
SovietStrawberry said:

This.
Aug 29, 2014 5:56 PM

Nov 2011
Op, you're very ignorant.

Anyway, I'll try to explain my viewpoint, I'm from a "third world country", but I've been to "first world countries" too, so I've met different people and their cultures. I can tell for sure it has nothing to do with "development". I've noticed most people from "first world" countries go through bigger social pressure and unfair treats, for example: just in USA a teen goes through a huge social pressure during high school, in regards to grades and mainly in regards to social matters. The bullying is more common there and the advantages of "rich kids" is more noticeable.

Another relevant thing is the parents in "first world countries" are far more demanding, no saying the parents here are not, but the percentage is lower, that's for sure. Asian parents are probably the more demanding in the world, the kids usually goes through a huge pressure to get good grades and such. The fear of failure is far bigger and so is the depression if you do it.

That's just a bit of it, but as I'm saying, the main reasons are related to social pressure, it has nothing to do with development and such.

And... but imagine the worries you had in the stone age?

That comparison was fucking stupid, mainly because some "third world countries" are more open minded and civilized than most "first world countries". At least they don't kill muslims, just saying :P
Jaguer91Aug 29, 2014 6:03 PM
I luv u
Aug 29, 2014 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
ReignSixx said:
SovietStrawberry said:

This.
I wish you and the other infractor would be less disrespectful as I don't want to call team autism to deal with you two.

Lice said:
Why wouldn't you want to live? Once you're dead it's all over. They try to survive and hope for a better tomorrow. You people take your live for granted.
And civilized people can't want to live? Life isn't over once civilized people suicide?
What's up with this logic?
Aug 29, 2014 5:59 PM
Mar 2014
Kokororin said:

That's what I'd like to know.
Aug 29, 2014 5:59 PM
Apr 2014
Kokororin said:
Lice said:
And civilized people can't want to live? Life isn't over once civilized people suicide?
They are people who take their life for granted, just let them die.

THE RED KING
Aug 29, 2014 6:02 PM

Mar 2014
[quote=Kokororin]
ReignSixx said:
SovietStrawberry said:

This.
I wish you and the other infractor would be less disrespectful as I don't want to call team autism to deal with you two.

*Looks at profile*

*sees age*

Oh okay, false alarm. She's a 10 year old. She can't know any better.
Aug 29, 2014 6:02 PM

Jul 2014
Jaguer91 said:
Op, you're a very ignorant.

Anyway, I'll try to explain my viewpoint, I'm from a "third world country", but I've been to "first world countries" too, so I've met different people and their cultures. I can tell for sure it has nothing to do with "development". I've noticed most people from "first world" countries go through bigger social pressure and unfair treats, for example: just in USA a teen goes through a huge social pressure during high school, in regards to grades and mainly in regards to social matters. The bullying is more common there and the advantages of "rich kids" is more noticeable.

Another relevant thing is the parents in "first world countries" are far more demanding, no saying the parents here are not, but the percentage is lower, that's for sure. Asian parents are probably the more demanding in the world, the kids usually goes through a huge pressure to get good grades and such. The fear of failure is far bigger and so is the depression if you do it.

That's just a bit of it, but as I'm saying, the main reasons are related to social pressure, it has nothing to do with development and such.

That comparison was fucking stupid, mainly because some "third world countries" are more open minded and civilized than most "first world countries". At least they don't kill muslims, just saying :P
This.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Aug 29, 2014 6:05 PM

Mar 2013
Why not show the recent study instead of a decade old and irrelevant information?

Suicide rates by country according to the World Health Organization circa 2011

It clearly contradicts the point that you're trying to make.
Aug 29, 2014 6:07 PM

Jun 2014
Well think it like this, you live in castle and the only worry you have is politic duties, otherwise you live in luxury but you decide to suicide for minimal problems.
Meanwhile some black kid in south america lives in semi-starvment 24/7 but struggles to keep living.
What's that inverted logic?

Jaguer91 said:
Op, you're a very ignorant.

Finally, more underdeveloped countries input.
Well thanks for enlightening me, I get that the problem is with pesky problems, but the fact it happens all in poor countries vs rich countries look too much like a coincidence. Why is it that in poor countries people can't have pressure of their parents? And why would beeing under pressure justify you killing yourself?
because some "third world countries" are more open minded and civilized than most "first world countries". At least they don't kill muslims, just saying :P
What? If most third world countries were more civilized than first world countries they wouldn't be living in the mud.

Regardless of that, to be honest I've come into terms that the only way for me to know exactly is traveling to south america myself. I'v been learning spanish as of late since I'm planing to travel to brazil (olimpics are coming up in the next years too).
I still don't think anything could justify killing yourself for minimal problems while living in the dream land of undercivilized people.
Aug 29, 2014 6:10 PM

Jun 2014
html said:
Why not show the recent study instead of a decade old and irrelevant information?

Just saw that, now what?
Europe Japan an autralia are clearly still suicidal, meanwhile third world countries like america and chile are green.
Aug 29, 2014 6:11 PM

Mar 2014
Kokororin said:
html said:

Just saw that, now what?
Europe is clearly still suicidal, meanwhile third world countries like america and chile and japa and australia are green.
>America
>Third World Country
Somebodies mad their mud house got bombed to shit.
Aug 29, 2014 6:12 PM
Mar 2014
Kokororin said:
html said:

Just saw that, now what?
Europe Japan an autralia are clearly still suicidal, meanwhile third world countries like america and chile are green.

Japan and Australia are both industrial countries, young one.
Aug 29, 2014 6:13 PM
Mar 2014
mclovinballz said:
Kokororin said:
Just saw that, now what?
Europe is clearly still suicidal, meanwhile third world countries like america and chile and japa and australia are green.
>America
>Third World Country
Somebodies mad their mud house got bombed to shit.

I overlooked that one since I think she meant "the americas" (referring to South America).
Aug 29, 2014 6:14 PM

Nov 2011
Kokororin said:
I've been learning spanish as of late since I'm planing to travel to brazil

Lol, can't take you seriously anymore, dude.
I luv u
Aug 29, 2014 6:14 PM

Mar 2013
Kokororin said:
html said:

Just saw that, now what?
If your point on making this thread is to show how much of an idiot you are, then you've succeeded OP.
Aug 29, 2014 6:16 PM

Jun 2014
Jaguer91 said:
Kokororin said:

Oh I should travel to allmighty Argentina instead?
Please take your internal rivalries to another thread, the matter here is a different one.
Mar 2014
Jaguer91 said:
Kokororin said:

Lol indeed, but doesn't like 20% of Brazilians actually speak Spanish in addition to Portuguese?

Mar 2012
I think suicide rates have more to do with culture than with how depressed people are.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 29, 2014 6:17 PM

Sep 2012
Because its hard to commit suicide when you were already killed by malaria.
Aug 29, 2014 6:17 PM
Mar 2014
Kokororin said:
Jaguer91 said:

Oh I should travel to allmighty Argentina instead?
Please take your internal rivalries to another thread, the matter here is a different one.

They actually speak German there. ;) I joke.
Aug 29, 2014 6:21 PM

Nov 2011
ElectricPrune said:
Jaguer91 said:

Lol indeed, but doesn't like 20% of Brazilians actually speak Spanish in addition to Portuguese?

They should, but most brazilians don't really learn spanish, mainly because both languages are similar and understandable for each other.

Kokororin said:

Did you even understand what I said?
I luv u
Aug 29, 2014 6:21 PM
Mar 2014
Josh-i said:
I think suicide rates have more to do with culture than with how depressed people are.
Culture is depressing.
Aug 29, 2014 6:27 PM

Jun 2014
Jaguer91 said:

Kokororin said:

Did you even understand what I said?
Yes, did you?
Aug 29, 2014 6:28 PM

Mar 2012
SovietStrawberry said:
Josh-i said:
Culture is depressing.
That too. Nicely explains a countries like China.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 30, 2014 5:54 AM
Mar 2014
Josh-i said:
SovietStrawberry said:
Culture is depressing.
That too. Nicely explains a countries like China.
Stemming from culture: beliefs, learned values, religion, attitude, its inherent tendency to be slow in making progress. Those things are indeed depressing.
Aug 30, 2014 5:56 AM
Jul 2014
No. They're just too poor to afford methods of killing themselves.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 30, 2014 6:00 AM
Mar 2014
AnarchicSloth said:
Starvation is free.~

No but I reckon that's probably one of the most challenging ways to try and off yourself.
Aug 30, 2014 6:05 AM

Jul 2014
SovietStrawberry said:
AnarchicSloth said:
Starvation is free.~

No but I reckon that's probably one of the most challenging ways to try and off yourself.
It's very easy, I'd just play games till I pass out and then I'd eventually die.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Aug 30, 2014 6:05 AM

Jun 2013
The more comfortable your life is, the less it takes to make you depressed. If you've never experienced real misery, then trivial first-world problems can affect your mood very easily.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Aug 30, 2014 11:14 AM
Jan 2014
SovietStrawberry said:

Thinking never leads to anything good....
dude.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

53 by Lost_Viking »»
5 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 8 minutes ago

0 by Meusnier »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

24 by Theo1899 »»
18 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

7 by Theo1899 »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you like sport? ( 1 2 3 )

-miharu- - Mar 27, 2019

103 by Ricchan__ »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.