Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2014 10:28 PM

Aug 2013
Sounds like an offsetting question but YYH is Togashi's other hit next to HxH from what I can tell and for me it's probably tied for my favorite anime of all time. Going based off both being made by Togashi I was wondering if I liked YYH will I like HxH?
Aug 28, 2014 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah sure! :p
Aug 28, 2014 10:30 PM

Mar 2014
Depends, what did you like about YYH?
Aug 28, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2014
Well Yu Yu Hakusho focused more on fighting while Hunter x Hunter does have fighting it goes into different themes and character development. Also the cast of YYH are pretty similar to HxH's.

Yusuke = Gon
Hiei = Killua
Kuwabara = Leorio
Kurama = Kurapika

Fun Fact: There's some references to YYH too in the show.

Aug 28, 2014 10:37 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I haven't cared for what I've seen of YYH and I'm definitely a fan of HxH so I'd say it isn't really a guarantee. They may both be battle shounen and from the same creator, but they are pretty different series in my eyes.

mclovinballz said:

Though this is a very good question.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 29, 2014 9:08 AM

Aug 2013
mclovinballz said:

Well off the top of my head:

-The fights
-The character development (really liked how you grew with the characters, how imo they start out feeling like something of a raw, teenage rabble and by the end of it they've grown up through their experiences to the point of being new people in their own respect)
-The changing/evolution of themes (the spirit detective saga kind of had a stronger shounen flavor to it imo, the dark tournament got grittier and was kind of like YYH's Frieza Saga imo, then you get to my favorite saga in Chapter Black which is very mature, dark, and philosophically charged for a shounen...a bloody beheading or two for good measure, then Three Kings which takes a matured cast both inside and out and has them grow on an inner level with a lot of it being a reflective saga for at least 3 of team Urameshi's members if you catch my drift). So I guess just how dynamic of a story it was. Starts out with stuff that's easy to digest but the characters grow and mature before your eyes along with the themes and whatnot
-The characters. Now I watched YYH dubbed so it may be different but I absolutely loved how every character didn't feel manufactured. The voice acting was phenomenal along with the overall chemistry of the cast (they really worked off of one another). I thought the cast of characters were all personable and distinguishable in a way I don't see that often and I appreciated that along with the chemistry present.

And of course the story. It doesn't feel static because it starts off simple enough but as the characters grow and go through their own experience the story gets darker and more mature in tone to where the second half is a totally different beast than the first but still feels like a natural progression because they didn't throw it at you abruptly.

You know i guess another reason I liked YYH was because among all the "cleaner" big shounen's out there YYH was the dirty, bad boy of the bunch too lol. One of those anime where I don't necessarily feel like I'm watching a "shounen" or seinen or what have you but something that just transcends labels to me.

EDIT:

Also forgot to mention it but the music. Absolutely one of my favorite OST's and enhances the ambiance of the moments.
Champloo_RemixAug 29, 2014 9:21 AM
Aug 29, 2014 9:13 AM
Apr 2014
well... you'll really love Hunter x Hunter.
I think you'll enjoy HxH even more. It's one of the best shounen out there ;)
Aug 29, 2014 9:46 AM

Jan 2010
Even though they're made by the same creator I believe they're too different in tone, setting and development to really compare. I like YYH from the Dark Tournament Arc to the end (don't really care about the early spiritual detective stuff) and also happen to like HxH even more, but it's perfectly reasonable for a person to enjoy one and dislike the other.

YYH follows a more traditional shonen formula while HxH kind of does its own thing. Togashi seemed specially fond of the tournament trope when he made YYH, something that really isn't very prevalent in HxH for example. They do have some themes in common -Sensui's arc comes to mind- but they're explored in a completely different manner.
Aside from that, HxH's power system is a lot more complex, it's quite a bit darker, and arcs usually don't end with the usual big showdown against the main villain.

Do give HxH a shot, just don't expect it to be very similar to YYH at all.
Aug 29, 2014 9:56 AM

Nov 2012
AkatsukiWolf said:
Well Yu Yu Hakusho focused more on fighting while Hunter x Hunter does have fighting it goes into different themes and character development. Also the cast of YYH are pretty similar to HxH's.

Yusuke = Gon
Hiei = Killua
Kuwabara = Leorio
Kurama = Kurapika

Fun Fact: There's some references to YYH too in the show.

more like yusuke is ging
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 29, 2014 9:59 AM

Aug 2013
Lynx_7 said:
Even though they're made by the same creator I believe they're too different in tone, setting and development to really compare. I like YYH from the Dark Tournament Arc to the end (don't really care about the early spiritual detective stuff) and also happen to like HxH even more, but it's perfectly reasonable for a person to enjoy one and dislike the other.

YYH follows a more traditional shonen formula while HxH kind of does its own thing. Togashi seemed specially fond of the tournament trope when he made YYH, something that really isn't very prevalent in HxH for example. They do have some themes in common -Sensui's arc comes to mind- but they're explored in a completely different manner.
Aside from that, HxH's power system is a lot more complex, it's quite a bit darker, and arcs usually don't end with the usual big showdown against the main villain.

Do give HxH a shot, just don't expect it to be very similar to YYH at all.

Absolutely. I don't want to rewatch YYH you know? lol. Was just hoping it'd be of that same quality.

But by the sounds of it HxH is right up there with it so I guess I shouldn't hesitate to start HxH.

@red_hero

Oh lawd. I know Gon is a kid but if they do something like 150-ish episodes kid Gon then another 150 or around there teen/young adult Gon that'd be cool. I'm getting ahead of myself though lol.
Aug 29, 2014 10:01 AM

Oct 2008
AkatsukiWolf said:

Yusuke = Gon
Hiei = Killua
Kuwabara = Leorio
Kurama = Kurapika

More like:

Yusuke - Gon/Ging
Hiei - Feitan/Killua
Kuwabara - Knuckle
Kurama - Kurapika
Aug 29, 2014 2:37 PM

Jan 2014
As a huge fan of Hunter, I thought YYh was very weak, so... Dunno.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2014 2:47 PM

Jan 2014
Yes. HxH is a slightly improved version of YYH.
Aug 29, 2014 8:45 PM

Aug 2014
Champloo_Remix said:
@red_hero

Oh lawd. I know Gon is a kid but if they do something like 150-ish episodes kid Gon then another 150 or around there teen/young adult Gon that'd be cool. I'm getting ahead of myself though lol.

Nah man, Gon isn't Yusuke, his dad is.

Aug 29, 2014 11:21 PM

Apr 2007
I've noticed a lot of people who watched HxH first then YYH tend to find the latter harder to enjoy, like their expectations are too high after seeing how well written HxH is. Seems like it may be best to watch his work in order and see how much he grows as a writer (which I always enjoy as I re-watch them), so at least you're going in the right direction already.

Champloo_Remix said:
Also forgot to mention it but the music. Absolutely one of my favorite OST's and enhances the ambiance of the moments.
HxH's soundtrack has it's moments, but imo is one of the [few] weak parts in the anime. Although it's hard to beat YYH in this area if you ask me
Aug 30, 2014 4:14 AM

Jul 2014
Although both are from the same author, YYH and HxH have their own touch as a battle shounen imo. But as you've mentioned: the fights, char development, the characters itself and especially the story, HxH covered it on a whole different level. And it's pretty intelligent, I may add.

PS. Yeah, YYH has cool soundtrack. So was Hunter x Hunter(1999). :D
Sep 4, 2014 6:27 PM

Aug 2013
Just wanted to check in. 45 episodes into HxH and I'm really enjoying it a great deal.

And tbh I feel there is an "air of YYH-ness" to HxH. Aside from the obvious similarities for me there's a similar energy and style in the dynamic. Could be Togashi's style of writing or it could just be me talking bs.

Coming from someone who treasured the second half of YYH (Chapater Black is probably one of my if not my favorite anime arc/saga I can think of) I'm looking forward to seeing how the story and writing comes along. It's already going nicely and at a good pace/progression but I'm anxious to see if it'll get "Chapter Black-ish" in its philosophical/cynical elements at some point or something of the sort. Violence/graphic nature has already taken a noticeable jump with this new arc where I'm at so I'm pretty happy that there's an evolution of things ala YYH seemingly going on to this point and hopefully more in the future.

P.S. Instantly loved Hisoka. The flamenco guitar theme was the icing on the cake. I like Gon as this seemingly Kid Goku-esque type character at least early on and how he and Killua are foils to each other. It brings a different dynamic to "Team Freecs" than "Team Urameshi's" which I can appreciate.
Champloo_RemixSep 4, 2014 6:35 PM
Sep 4, 2014 9:45 PM

Sep 2011
Yuyu Hakusho's Sensui arc kind of looks like Hunter x Hunter except for the final part.
Sep 4, 2014 11:27 PM

Jun 2009
@ Champloo_Remix

I've been told Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant arc has some similarities to Chapter Black. I haven't read/seen Chapter Black, but CA definitely touches on those elements you mentioned. But, well, you are at Yorknew I believe so you like quite a while.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 5, 2014 8:03 PM

May 2013
insan3soldiern said:
@ Champloo_Remix

I've been told Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant arc has some similarities to Chapter Black. I haven't read/seen Chapter Black, but CA definitely touches on those elements you mentioned. But, well, you are at Yorknew I believe so you like quite a while.

Yes, in many ways I can see Chapter Black being like a prototype of sorts for the CA arc, thematically speaking. However, the latter is far superior and explores the themes with much greater depth and nuance. I still love Chapter Black, though, it's when I really began liking YYH. Up to that point it had been mostly hit or miss.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Sep 5, 2014 10:50 PM

Jul 2013
Chapter Black was very nice - especially in the anime, but I wouldn't consider it the greatest aspect of the series. Younger Toguro was, imo, where it was all at.

Almost everything contained within Chapter Black was enthralling for an anime of its time.
Sep 5, 2014 11:10 PM

Dec 2013
HxH is my all time favorite series, but I watched it before YYH.
Because of that YYH didn't live up to my expectations, but then again.. that's to be expected as it is his earlier work.
When you watch HxH you'll see the themes and plot points he took from YYH and perfected.
You won't regret watching it. It's so good.
Sep 6, 2014 8:32 AM

Dec 2013
GalekC said:
Chapter Black was very nice - especially in the anime, but I wouldn't consider it the greatest aspect of the series. Younger Toguro was, imo, where it was all at.

Almost everything contained within Chapter Black was enthralling for an anime of its time.
Actually Chimera ant arc reminds me of Attack on Titan if anything, I don't really think of chapter black when I watch it.
OT: Just because they're both made by the same author doesn't mean they're all that similar. YYH starts out as a detective-esque anime with some slice-of-life-ish elements mixed in, then sort of turns into a battle shonen around the time Genkai's tournament starts up. Togashi himself has commented on the change of genre in some interview I don't remember. HxH started out the way it is now: an action adventure, strategy, battle shonen. So its more consistent in that sense. I prefer Hunter x Hunter but both series are good.
Sep 6, 2014 11:18 AM
Sep 2007
Kazuma was the best thing about YYH.
Sep 6, 2014 12:48 PM

Jun 2014
Yes, not because they have the same author. Its because HxH is much better shounen.
Sep 6, 2014 1:27 PM

Jan 2012
Yu Yu Hakusho (and FMAB) will stay as my favorite anime forever, but, last month, I started watching Hunter x Hunter (thanks, Netflix :D) and... Geez, I just love this show.

I thought it would be hard for me to choose another favorite anime to make my own TOP3 FAVES (not the BEST but favorites, you know), but HxH made it so quickly... It's a really good anime.

Someone once said "everything you probably liked about YYH it's way more developed in HxH" and I guess it's the truth (or, at least, partially), BUT don't watch it with high expectations... Even though it is a Togashi work, I started watching it as a "regular" anime, so, if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be an awful let down.

also: the beginning... it's rather too bright and stuff.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.