Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2014 4:15 PM
Mar 2014
As we all should know the bible is split into two parts; the Old and New Testament, and only these two. Now I'm gonna present a hypnotically situation: what if God decides to instruct a few loyal followers to write another testament to add to the Bible. This being the 21st century it would be interesting to see how (upon publication) it is received, don't you think so? Now for the record: I'm a Christian through and through but I myself would not know if these added volumes are legitimately heavenly sent or just some sinners trying to earn money or simply just being mischievous, no, playing around with the contents of the Bible is a sin that, it is written, you shalln't be forgiven for (one of the rare unforgivable sins along with eliciting prostitution). What would you do? From an analytical viewpoint that is.
Aug 28, 2014 4:22 PM

Mar 2013
Now for the record: I'm a Christian through and through but I myself would not know if these added volumes are legitimately heavenly sent or just some sinners trying to earn money or simply just being mischievous

What exactly excludes previous volumes from this suspicion?
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 28, 2014 4:23 PM

Mar 2014
DerpHole said:
Now for the record: I'm a Christian through and through but I myself would not know if these added volumes are legitimately heavenly sent or just some sinners trying to earn money or simply just being mischievous

Because the Bible says so.
Aug 28, 2014 4:24 PM

Aug 2012
i wouldnt do anything
Aug 28, 2014 4:26 PM

Sep 2012
Wasn't there a verse somewhere in the New Testament that said there wouldn't be anymore additions to it or something?

My knowledge of the bible is rusty af
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 28, 2014 4:28 PM
Mar 2014
DerpHole said:

Looks like a hard question. Um, to be perfectly honest I do not consider the entire (current) bible to be 100% God's word as I believe certain parts were removed and edited, by groups like the old Romans. However Jesus instructed his disciples to write them, and there is historic records of Hesus and some of his followers from the time of, this satisfies me. It never hurts to have a little faith but sometimes that's not even needed when it comes to collected evidence. Also, the hypothetical question?
Aug 28, 2014 4:30 PM
Mar 2014
Korrvo said:
Wasn't there a verse somewhere in the New Testament that said there wouldn't be anymore additions to it or something?

I'm not sure, I'm a bit rusty myself....
Aug 28, 2014 4:57 PM

May 2013
ElectricPrune said:
what if God decides to instruct a few loyal followers to write another testament to add to the Bible. This being the 21st century it would be interesting to see how (upon publication) it is received, don't you think so?.

well do you think that would actually be added to the bible or just a new book? there are plenty of spiritual books around these days and some of them are actually really good, it's not all just self-help hooey. Be Here Now for instance...that book is awesome

or another possibility is that in the modern age you wouldn't write a holy book you would like, make a movie or an anime or something that will actually reach people more easily.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 28, 2014 5:55 PM

Mar 2014
That's (supposedly) what the return of Christ is meant to be about.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2014
New Testament: Shrek is love, Shrek is life.
Jul 2018
Going to sound ignorant here but I'm not sure what you are talking about. .-.

Sep 2011
Korrvo said:

The bible is the most unoriginal piece of shit I have ever watched, seriously. What the fuck. Especially S2. They just crammed in a lot of supernatural clusterfuck cliches and tried to wing it somehow by keeping it to hurr durr savior of the universe. It doesn't help that this piece of shit having yaoi implications and fanservice such as washing feet and holding hands, indirect kissing by wine cup and shit.
And you know the worst part? MC is a gary stu immortal zombie shit that somehow manages to win in the end. Then there's the 2deep4u shit that is revelations. clearly a ripoff. Shitty end of the world. Also all those side stories and unreliable narrator. And did i mention the fans? Holy shit, the level of fanfiction,speculation and figs ruin the anime industry.
Don't forget the waifu faggotry on this shit. God that's so intense.
1/10 made me rage

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Aug 28, 2014 5:58 PM

Mar 2014
Lime_ said:
Korrvo said:

The bible is the most unoriginal piece of shit I have ever watched, seriously. What the fuck. Especially S2. They just crammed in a lot of supernatural clusterfuck cliches and tried to wing it somehow by keeping it to hurr durr savior of the universe. It doesn't help that this piece of shit having yaoi implications and fanservice such as washing feet and holding hands, indirect kissing by wine cup and shit.
And you know the worst part? MC is a gary stu immortal zombie shit that somehow manages to win in the end. Then there's the 2deep4u shit that is revelations. clearly a ripoff. Shitty end of the world. Also all those side stories and unreliable narrator. And did i mention the fans? Holy shit, the level of fanfiction,speculation and figs ruin the anime industry.
1/10 made me rage
10/10 idea, 6/10 execution.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2014 6:51 PM

Dec 2013
a "Hypnotically situation"??

You mean a hypothetical situation?
Aug 28, 2014 7:17 PM

Jan 2014
euphoriia said:

The man means what he says, don't question him.

Anyway, the Bible says something along the lines of false prophets, people claiming to be Messiahs, etc. So a fake 3rd testament is sure to pop up some time.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 28, 2014 7:25 PM

Apr 2012
We've already seen what happens when someone adds onto the bible. They just end up becoming a new religion like Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Muslims.
Hell even Christianity is an add-on.
Aug 28, 2014 7:28 PM

Jul 2014
Who has the competence to declare what is prophetic? How do we know that an ancient document, claiming to be a prophecy, was written by a true prophet? How do we know it wasn't a forgery? How can it be demonstrated? If such an event was to occur again, how can you prove that the word of god is being channeled through said person?
Aug 28, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2012
"as we all should know"

this is so offensive. what if the bible is not my sacrosanct text?
Aug 28, 2014 7:54 PM
Mar 2014
OnlyEpix said:
ElectricPrune said:
what if God decides to instruct a few loyal followers to write another testament to add to the Bible. This being the 21st century it would be interesting to see how (upon publication) it is received, don't you think so?.

well do you think that would actually be added to the bible or just a new book? there are plenty of spiritual books around these days and some of them are actually really good, it's not all just self-help hooey. Be Here Now for instance...that book is awesome

or another possibility is that in the modern age you wouldn't write a holy book you would like, make a movie or an anime or something that will actually reach people more easily.
I'd assume it'd be added just as the old and new testament are joined, I don't think this matters all that much, but for convenience all together would be preferred.

"Reach people more easily".
The bible is one of the most widespread distributed book in the world, translated into all popular languages and to top it off it is even the most stolen book as well, they shouldn't do that though....

Uhm, self help books are just that, religion is religion.
Aug 28, 2014 7:58 PM
Mar 2014
BarryManilow said:
That's (supposedly) what the return of Christ is meant to be about.
No, the return of Christ is when all will be judged, very different from an additional testament.

euphoriia said:

Yes, silly autocorrect.

RedRoseFring said:
euphoriia said:

The man means what he says, don't question him.

Anyway, the Bible says something along the lines of false prophets, people claiming to be Messiahs, etc. So a fake 3rd testament is sure to pop up some time.
It does mention that, however my hypothetical situation is a "god endorsed" addition to the bible, not by false prophets.
Aug 28, 2014 8:01 PM

Jan 2014
There's plenty of non-canonical texts that should be considered before thinking of hypothetical additions. These are books that would have been in the bible but were cast aside for one reason or another.

I'm not really interested in ancient politics though, always just about some dude bending the truth to gain power through the use of omission, hyperbole, and other writing techniques.
Aug 28, 2014 8:05 PM
Mar 2014
SamuelLJackson said:
We've already seen what happens when someone adds onto the bible. They just end up becoming a new religion like Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Muslims.
Are you trolling? What do you mean by "Christianity is an add-on"? And I'm a little curious about the "muslim" one too.

Aerodust said:
Who has the competence to declare what is prophetic? How do we know that an ancient document, claiming to be a prophecy, was written by a true prophet? How do we know it wasn't a forgery? How can it be demonstrated? If such an event was to occur again, how can you prove that the word of god is being channeled through said person?
God has the "competence". As for your last question, I've already said that I'm not sure how I would react.
Aug 28, 2014 8:15 PM

Jul 2012
"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book"
Aug 28, 2014 9:15 PM

May 2013
ElectricPrune said:
OnlyEpix said:

I'd assume it'd be added just as the old and new testament are joined, I don't think this matters all that much, but for convenience all together would be preferred.

"Reach people more easily".
The bible is one of the most widespread distributed book in the world, translated into all popular languages and to top it off it is even the most stolen book as well, they shouldn't do that though....

Uhm, self help books are just that, religion is religion.

actually its a very fine line between self help and religion sometimes. i don't have a problem w/ that and like i said the better stuff is NOT like a Steve Harvey 'how to be a success' book but it WILL have stuff in it about how to be self actualized and self realized, of course. Eckhart Tolle is yet another example...

i'm just sayin i think that there are lots of divinely isnpired works, it seems like making an addition to the bible would be a confusion if anything, where as a totally new or original work could accomplish the same thing. Like if i were God i'd definitely be trying to get people to make as-yet unseen things...
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 28, 2014 10:00 PM

Jul 2014
Aerodust said:

God has the "competence". As for your last question, I've already said that I'm not sure how I would react.[/quote]

God having "competence" doesn't prove much of anything, though. I'm talking about who (As in a person) has the worldly authority to declare something divine?
By saying God has the competence you are implying that the Church should recognize as authoritative any book that is self evidently so.

The Gospel of Thomas and the Revelation of Paul never made it into New Testament canon, despite both containing "thus saith the Lord". How do you explain this?
Aug 29, 2014 12:23 AM

Mar 2013
Aerodust said:

God having "competence" doesn't prove much of anything, though. I'm talking about who (As in a person) has the worldly authority to declare something divine?

Probably the pope... or maybe the cardinals could convene some kind of conclave to determine whether or not something is divine... I have no idea though.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 29, 2014 12:26 AM

Mar 2014
DerpHole said:
Aerodust said:

Probably the pope... or maybe the cardinals could convene some kind of conclave to determine whether or not something is divine... I have no idea though.
This is the problem with religion. Belief in an infallible God is fairly benign, belief in a person who is infallible due to a claimed association with God is dangerous. If the church taught about some of the kinky shit some of their Popes got up too people wouldn't think the position was so holy.
Aug 29, 2014 10:34 AM

Apr 2012
ElectricPrune said:
SamuelLJackson said:
Are you trolling? What do you mean by "Christianity is an add-on"? And I'm a little curious about the "muslim" one too.

Well first off, if you think Christianity and Islam are original religions you are horribly mistaken.
To abridge the evolution of mainstream Western Civ religions, almost everyone of them has steamed from Judaism by adding on in some way or another. Eventually Christianity made it's way onto the scene. First there were the Orthodox Christians, then from there steamed the religions of Catholicism and Islam, and ever since hundreds of religions have steamed from all of them. In this sense they are add-ons to their predecessors.
Aug 29, 2014 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
Believe it or not, there are other "testaments". Case in point are the Muslims who believe that Mohammed was only the latest in a long list of prophets, including such big names as Jesus, David, and Moses. Likewise, there's the Mormons who see the writings of Joseph Smith as an extension of the Bible. It's just that the Christian faiths don't recognize these books, in the same way that the Jews don't recognize the New Testament of the Bible.

Of course, if you dismiss those as being false prophets, there's always the Coptic Church, based in Egypt, that has an extended edition of the New Testament, with contributions by Judas and Mary Magdalene, among many others. These are a recognized Christian sect, just like Catholics and the Orthodox Church.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Aug 29, 2014 11:36 AM
Mar 2014
gombo said:
There's plenty of non-canonical texts that should be considered before thinking of hypothetical additions. These are books that would have been in the bible but were cast aside for one reason or another.
Yes, I agree about the "non-canonical texts": http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1259707&show=5

I don't see why those "cases" have to be solved first before considering hypothetical additions, we're after all only casually discussing this on some obscure anime listing site.

gombo said:
I'm not really interested in ancient politics though, always just about some dude bending the truth to gain power through the use of omission, hyperbole, and other writing techniques.
No doubt that has occurred, the trick is to cipher through to the true texts, how can we do this? I don't know.

Coolspot said:
"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book"
This isn't relevant to this particular topic as the hypothetical additional testament would be legitimate, "God approved".

Aerodust said:
By saying God has the competence you are implying that the Church should recognize as authoritative any book that is self evidently so.
Nobody has the authority to declare something divine but God himself (as he did with the previous testaments), we may say that this or that is indeed divine but we can not "declare" it to be so. I think you made a simple typing mistake? If something is "self-evident" it would not need "approval" as it would be as the word implies "self-evident".

Aerodust said:
The Gospel of Thomas and the Revelation of Paul never made it into New Testament canon, despite both containing "thus saith the Lord". How do you explain this?
Why do I need to explain it? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1259707&show=5
Aug 29, 2014 11:44 AM
Mar 2014
SamuelLJackson said:
ElectricPrune said:

Well first off, if you think Christianity and Islam are original religions you are horribly mistaken.
To abridge the evolution of mainstream Western Civ religions, almost everyone of them has steamed from Judaism by adding on in some way or another. Eventually Christianity made it's way onto the scene. First there were the Orthodox Christians, then from there steamed the religions of Catholicism and Islam, and ever since hundreds of religions have steamed from all of them. In this sense they are add-ons to their predecessors.
The New Testament is of coarse an add-on to the Old Testament (Judaism), but not an add-on like you are implying it's more like a continuation - hence the "New" and "Old" in the titles. I ask you: how different are Orthodox Christians and Catholics truly? They have minor differences stemming from disagreements of and relating to the source material, they both pray to God.

Then comes Allah who is an entirely different entity.
Islam is an offshoot from Judaism? This is the first I've heard this.

Nonyflah said:
Believe it or not, there are other "testaments". Case in point are the Muslims who believe that Mohammed was only the latest in a long list of prophets, including such big names as Jesus, David, and Moses. Likewise, there's the Mormons who see the writings of Joseph Smith as an extension of the Bible. It's just that the Christian faiths don't recognize these books, in the same way that the Jews don't recognize the New Testament of the Bible.

Of course, if you dismiss those as being false prophets, there's always the Coptic Church, based in Egypt, that has an extended edition of the New Testament, with contributions by Judas and Mary Magdalene, among many others. These are a recognized Christian sect, just like Catholics and the Orthodox Church.
Yes I'm aware of these. Thanks for adding depth to the topic but this does not add anything.
Aug 29, 2014 12:17 PM

Sep 2012
ElectricPrune said:
Nonyflah said:

Yes I'm aware of these. Thanks for adding depth to the topic but this does not add anything.

And that's where I'm forced to disagree. If you want to see how people will react to a Third Testament, you only have to look at these previous cases. As far as the followers of these religions are concerned, the new books are the word of God and nothing can shake that belief. At the same time, we have traditionalists who question the books and continue following the old ways. That's why we still have Judaism despite the presence of Islam and Christianity. You'll either trust the book and convert or you won't and claim that it's written by the Devil or a shyster.

Mohammed did take quite a bit of inspiration from both the Jewish and Christian faiths, naming a good number of characters from their holy books. Mary even has a whole chapter dedicated to her in the Qur'an.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Aug 29, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
Not gonna happen:

"18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll." Revelations 22: 18 - 19
Aug 29, 2014 4:28 PM

Jul 2013
Passing by just to say that Post New sounds like a edgy /mu/tard would say.
Aug 29, 2014 8:48 PM

Apr 2012
ElectricPrune said:
they both pray to God.

Every religion prays to a god. That's not much of a reason to call them similar. The two religions have been separated for roughly 1000 years.

ElectricPrune said:

Allah is not a separate entity. The God worshiped by most religions in Western Civ goes by many names. In Christianity the name is God. In Judaism it is Yahweh or Jehovah, and in Islam it is Allah. Although going by different names and being in different religions they are all the same deity.

In fact all of these religions, to include Islam and it's sub-categories, are guided by the Old Testament. Islam even goes as far as to have much of the new testament in it's holy book, the Quran. The story of Moses (Musa in Arabic) can be found in the Quran, as can the story of Jesus (Isa in Arabic)

Just as Moses and Jesus go by different names in different languages and religions, so does God, but they are in fact the same stories and the same religious texts.
Aug 29, 2014 8:54 PM

Feb 2005
Forget a sequel, they should make a edited version that cleans the story up, it's a horrible mess as it is, and the characterization of this Giod character is just hilariously retarded, some truly terrible writing in there.
Aug 29, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2012
SamuelLJackson said:
ElectricPrune said:
they both pray to God.

Every religion prays to a god.
No
Aug 29, 2014 8:58 PM

Apr 2012
Villa-Lobos said:
SamuelLJackson said:

Every religion prays to a god.
No

Name one that does not.
Aug 29, 2014 9:04 PM

Nov 2012
SamuelLJackson said:
Villa-Lobos said:
No

Name one that does not.
Budism
Aug 29, 2014 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
Villa-Lobos said:
SamuelLJackson said:

Name one that does not.
Budism

I expected you'd say that. First, It's called Buddhism*. Second, they recite scripture, and why recite scripture unless you believe someone is listening.
Third, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_prayer_beads key word "prayer"
Aug 29, 2014 9:19 PM

Nov 2012
SamuelLJackson said:
I expected you'd say that. First, It's called Buddhism*. Second, they recite scripture, and why recite scripture unless you believe someone is listening.
Third, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_prayer_beads key word "prayer"
I just Ctrl+F'd "god" in that page and found 0 results. Sorry for being lazy, what god does buddhism prays to? Examples other than budhism include: Confucianism, Taoism, Shintoism, Jainism, C
My original post was just a minor neat-pick/correction, carry on with the thread if you will.
Aug 29, 2014 9:24 PM

Apr 2012
Have you ever heard the phase, "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck?"
If you build statues of a divine being which you pray to then you have a god.
Aug 29, 2014 9:28 PM

Jul 2014
Shinto is a religion with a lot of them, Hinduism respect a lot of them, so they have a main pantheon. . . And they are working more than 10000 years? I could name too blackfellow ancestral religion, it lost in the mist of time. . . So many Polynesian cults.

Like you said only three religions "share" - pardon for the expression - a same God with different names "they named Him", and fought for whom pray the best to Him, no respecting Him, so their Politics, than they call "religion" . . . Faith is a smoking paper for a great number of religious, they consume on fire. . . Well, I could put on table the Great Spirit from Northamerican first natives. . .

This thread was open about New Testament, well this is an irony, 'cause before 400 AD there were more than four, but on a Concilium an Archbishop thought: "There are many - people can confuse -, then go on to the tetrapilar classic Greek idea", then they chose 4, curiously two of them where non direct witnesses of the Jesus live. . . So there are many of the so called apocryphal . . . Religion is confuse, faith is truth, but you choose the way you do it, but I think that no sword, SMG nor AK-47 could do good religion, there are archaeological proofs Quran was changed 70 years after Muhammad death. . . Many writings fron Torah were written 3000 years after the facts narrated there, so confusing . . .

It launch the question What's the truth? - please don't make the evangelic joke, I know it -; and What all religion men hide for their own profit or interests?
DcyendAug 29, 2014 9:50 PM
I'll tell you something, my Tenchi. You know, the carnival comes and goes... if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi.
Aug 29, 2014 10:23 PM

Jan 2014
SamuelLJackson said:
ElectricPrune said:
they both pray to God.

Every religion prays to a god. That's not much of a reason to call them similar. The two religions have been separated for roughly 1000 years.

ElectricPrune said:

Allah is not a separate entity. The God worshiped by most religions in Western Civ goes by many names. In Christianity the name is God. In Judaism it is Yahweh or Jehovah, and in Islam it is Allah. Although going by different names and being in different religions they are all the same deity.

In fact all of these religions, to include Islam and it's sub-categories, are guided by the Old Testament. Islam even goes as far as to have much of the new testament in it's holy book, the Quran. The story of Moses (Musa in Arabic) can be found in the Quran, as can the story of Jesus (Isa in Arabic)

Just as Moses and Jesus go by different names in different languages and religions, so does God, but they are in fact the same stories and the same religious texts.

Just gonna jump in here to say that they are far from the same stories.
Muhammad's recounting of these stories contradicts those of the Torah in many places, which remain the same in the Old Testament, and also contradicts a lot of the New Testament.
An example is mixing up the story of Haman and Esther with that of Moses. That tends to happen when you draw inspiration imperfectly from previous works.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 30, 2014 5:23 AM
Mar 2014
Who would've thought that within these competing religions that they plagiarize shamelessly from each other.
Aug 30, 2014 5:43 AM

Jul 2014
Aerodust said:
Nobody has the authority to declare something divine but God himself (as he did with the previous testaments), we may say that this or that is indeed divine but we can not "declare" it to be so. I think you made a simple typing mistake? If something is "self-evident" it would not need "approval" as it would be as the word implies "self-evident".

Aerodust said:
Why do I need to explain it? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1259707&show=5[/quote]

No mistake.
(self–ev·i·dent adjective -dənt, -ˌdent
: clearly true and requiring no proof or explanation)
It's the context in which it was used. e.g. Say, theoretically, I write a new gospel today. In the text, I declare that this text is the word of God. Providing the Church doesn't know that I wrote this work, do they still accept it as biblical canon? Surely they must. As you say, "Nobody has the authority to declare something divine but God himself (as he did with the previous testaments). Do you see the issue I have with this? I'm not trying to start a war or anything here, I'm just trying to provide a perspective from outside faith.

And you don't need to explain it, I was just curious as to your opinion because you said in the original post that you were Christian yourself.
Aug 30, 2014 7:40 AM

Jul 2014
Lime_ said:
Korrvo said:

1/10 made me rage
Correction, the score is supposed to be 0/10
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!

More topics from this board

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - Apr 18

11 by TheMechaManiac »»
2 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

18 by TheMechaManiac »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

65 by TheMechaManiac »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

94 by TheMechaManiac »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

53 by TheMechaManiac »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.