Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 29, 2014 7:18 PM

Dec 2008
So, Lord Kelvin wanted to fuck both Vincent and Ciel? Crazy ass pervert!!
Finny was kind of creepy in an adorable sort of way.
I don't remember Grelle being in the Circus Arc in the manga, but still it was great seeing him.

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 29, 2014 8:41 PM
Aug 2013
Finny is so cute. He's my favorite servant. All of them are amazing, even Tanaka. I loved this episode, only two left :(
Aug 29, 2014 9:29 PM

Aug 2008
Feel sorry for Joker. Those servants kicking ass. Been a long time since they shine.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 30, 2014 12:11 AM

Aug 2013
Maaaan, Vincent Phantomhive is so damn fine. It's not just his looks, but rather his attitude that really gets me.
Little Ciel is sooooo adorable *-* The time where he was still pure aww <3
The end with Tanaka-san gave me chills. Poor Peter lying down there..
Aug 30, 2014 2:36 AM
Aug 2014
Great episode! Love all the killings.
Aug 30, 2014 4:43 AM

Oct 2013
i feel bad for joker though... but in a way, they kidnapped the children is also terribly wrong...
Aug 30, 2014 11:44 AM

Jan 2014
That was intense! I never knew Finny was so..different. It's funny to think he is that strong! I felt a bit bad for some of the ones that died, but in the end I guess they deserved it.
Aug 30, 2014 12:54 PM

Mar 2012
I have read every story arc in Black Butler up tot he current one but out of all of them. This on is still the most Tragic and Horrific out of all of them. So many of them died. All of them had a tragic end and even the actions of ciel and sebastian are horrific of what they did here. Also it is becuase the motivation behind the circus member's reason to do these things was all for naught as well. :(
Aug 30, 2014 1:41 PM

Dec 2012
Not a fan of the censoring.
Aug 30, 2014 6:45 PM

Feb 2010
Hot potatos. Ciel's father is hawt. 's been awhile since I watched the first season
+ I had thought ciel's father was some old wrinkly man. BUT DANNNGGG.

I'm sorry but I had to be that one annoying fan girl that points that out.
Please, Ciel. Grow up fast. Like, I am pretty damn sure you'll turn out as fine as your man.
At the rate you're going, every comment I make about you will send me behind bars.

But on a SRS note: So disappointed Peter didn't reach Elizabeth.
Please don't tell me I was the only one anticipating this.

EarlCielAug 30, 2014 6:48 PM
Aug 30, 2014 9:20 PM
Aug 2011
I had actually forgotten that the servants weren't just clumsy idiots.
This was certainly one way to remind me though.

Great episode. Very entertaining, disturbing and morbid at the same time.
I'm such a fan of this season.

The preview narration totally broke the atmosphere but I still laughed.
Kelvin saying he's 'one hell of a butler' was wrong on so many levels ahaha.
Aug 30, 2014 9:22 PM
Aug 2014
This episode solidified what I really liked about the Circus Arc in the manga. I remember watching this series forgetting the majority of what happened in the manga, so I was confused whether some things were filler or not.

Ugh, I feel bad for Joker, even though what he did was horrible. And that last scene with that midget (can't remember his name) and his dead body just made me shiver.

Overall, great episode. I can't wait to see how they animate the rest of this. I hope it leaves me with the same feeling as when I read the manga.
Aug 30, 2014 9:23 PM
Aug 2014
-ShadowClaw- said:
I have read every story arc in Black Butler up tot he current one but out of all of them. This on is still the most Tragic and Horrific out of all of them. So many of them died. All of them had a tragic end and even the actions of ciel and sebastian are horrific of what they did here. Also it is becuase the motivation behind the circus member's reason to do these things was all for naught as well. :(

I agree with you so much. The annihilation of all these characters really fucked with me when I was young and reading the manga. I was like "How the hell could you do that, Ciel???" And even though the circus members had such a shitty life, they still get a tragic ending.
Aug 31, 2014 7:40 AM

Oct 2013
Those who are stolen from and those who steal huh? Those who are victims and those who are victimized...I wonder if at least one of the circus guys will make it out in one piece when this is over. A few could tbh,they'd just have to try real hard to break out of the cycle of victims & victimized,something which of course,might not even be possible,in which case a tragic end await's them. Ciel's heading down that path too though,but he has much better means to be the one who victimizes at the moment,heh. And then there's Sebastian,who's surely enjoying himself tremendously seeing Ciel damn himself further & further by stealing the futures of others,making his soul ever more delicious.

At any rate,another excellent episode for an excellent show!
Aug 31, 2014 9:41 PM
Mar 2014
I don't know what to say about this episode.. So many feels.
Sep 2, 2014 11:18 AM

Oct 2012
Amazing episode!!! I want to read manga (* *)
Sep 3, 2014 1:04 PM

Jan 2012
Hmm somehow Finny seemed to have destroyed less stuff than in the manga...
Didn't look as epic too imo

That 'father' is such a psycho...
Sep 3, 2014 4:10 PM

Oct 2010
Wow wow wow!

I have to admit that this episode changed my whole impression of this season. Till now I wasn't really enjoying it as much as I wanted to, but right now I'm crushed.

This episode was SO GOOD.

I mean I finally don't have to watch scenes where the protaginists forgive the antagonists after a looooong talk about what bad shit happened to them in life. Bad shit happens to everyone. Sorry, life is brutal. And we could see it in this episode! I thought that I probably should feel bad for circus guys, but I just couldn't. Like someone said, Joker's talk was just shitty. They kinda deserved it? But it's hard to say it clearly when it's Ciel Phantomhive on the other side. He's even worse.

Ah, I just have to say that I died seeing mister Phantomhive. Oh wow. I just feel like I want to read the manga now and know more about this devil man. Oh. And little Ciel, I don't have to say anything right?
Sep 6, 2014 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
R.I.P. acrobat loli.
Sep 7, 2014 6:47 PM

Sep 2013
This episode was amazing!

Loved that we got to see Vincent and hear him talk and interact with Ciel.
He looks like Sebastian because Ciel wanted Sebastian to look like his father. It is a bit strange, and I don't know if it is really addressed in the manga because I haven't really read it. After seeing Vincent, it makes Ciel's loss all that much more real and heart breaking. And the fact that Sebastian looks like him really shows how much Ciel misses his father.

I'm torn about the circus deaths. They are such pathetic characters that you can't help but root for them.

I can't wait to watch the rest.
Spending more time thinking about the fictional world than reality.
Sep 14, 2014 5:02 AM

Oct 2009
Dayum...I feel bad for the Circus gang but they dug their own grave I guess :/
Sep 20, 2014 6:31 PM

Nov 2013
Holy shit! Finny is a fucking monster!

Nov 4, 2014 7:40 AM

May 2012
Damn epic episode, especially that ending! Seriously awesome I must say, let's see what's next though!
Nov 14, 2014 7:33 PM

Jan 2014
Great episode. But how does this all fit in with season 1? Doesn't it take place after the curry arc? Does that mean we should just disregard the rest of season 1 (and season 2 I guess) since it was basically ciel finding out who disgraced him, which he finds out this episode? Or does that thing with the queen and Angela still happen? O.o pls hlp confuzzled
Nov 22, 2014 7:49 PM
Sep 2014
This is all over the place because I don't even know where to start on this amazing episode:

I'm not a fan of the censoring of Joker's cut arm in the beginning! Dang, Ciel's father! He's kind of a jerk, though. I think that Baron gets turned on by the Phantomhives. Assassin!Mey-Rin is amazing! Kinda insane Finny gets a huge thumbs-up from me, and Sebastian in a pea coat and also his laugh. I can't wait for the rest of the massacre--I'm kind of sadistic. Oh yeah, I think Ciel has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder--has it been stated? Joker is still my favorite character in this arc.

I love how every one of Ciel's speeches are depressing. And I love Ciel in general. Him as a child is so cute. Um, that's all for now.
Jan 1, 2015 4:18 PM

Jul 2008
The second half was awesome. The staff of the mansion are so cool and I love seeing them show their stuff.

I thought the connection of the Baron to Ciel was little...unrealistic? The arc could have had the Baron kidnapping those children and doing all of this stuff for a reason that didn't conveniently tie back to the main character in such a direct way.
Mar 9, 2015 12:02 AM

Aug 2010
Damn! Bad-ass Phantomhive servants. Tanaka might be the most bad-ass next to Sebastian of course.
Mar 18, 2015 3:15 PM
Dec 2014
Aw shit, great episode. I feel kind of bad for the Joker and the kids because I can see where they're coming from. However, they shouldn't have been kidnapping the kids like they were, that's the only reason I can feel okay about them all dying. The Phantomhive servants are really awesome and half of me wants to cheer them on because they're so great at their job and there's only three of them, and another part of me is feeling sorry for the kids. They're only doing what they think is right I suppose, they're just a little messed up. Oh and is it just me or is the series more gory than the original? That episode had me wincing a bit at the kids being killed. I'm not so good with gory stuff...Oh and also Ciel is adorable as a kid and his Dad looks awesome too. That Father guy just keeps getting creepier and creepier O.o
Apr 16, 2015 7:43 AM

Feb 2015
So it started then... I feel so bad for the circus gang somehow. I know they were doing some pretty bad stuff but they thought that it was the only way help the others in that orphanhouse...
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Apr 25, 2015 4:01 AM

Jul 2013
That confirms it. That mummy dude is just a madman. A freak.

So that's just it? The reason why the circus peeps kept on obeying his orders was because they owe him and because he supports the circus financially? I don't understand. Joker said the circus has kids who can't live without that Baron and yet he kidnapped kids and killed people for him? If he's really into saving kids and stuff then why? That's hypocrisy or rather.. selfish. Like I don't care about other kids, as long as my kids are doing good.

Man, I'd pick a fight with the mafia if I can have those servants guard me. Damn even Tanaka-san took out that knife-throwing dude without as much as breaking a sweat.
Jun 3, 2015 1:41 AM
Oct 2014
Morridine said:
Am I the only one not really loving this arc?
It just feels like a filler rather than anything, everything is so random. "Papa's" obsession is too weird. Sebastian doesn't really have many epic moments. And finally I guess the fact that in the end they must save "Elizabeth" kinda kills it for me. She's the one character in all series that I don't like :/ and suddenly shes the drive of the action

It's not that they wanted to "save" Elizabeth, it's that as servants of the Phantomhives and protectors of the mansion, they consider it as part of their duty to not disturb Phantomhive guests. In other words, it's not really her that's driving their action, it's their love of the mansion and the home that it represents and their subsequent want to protect it.

Mylamx said:
Maaaan, Vincent Phantomhive is so damn fine. It's not just his looks, but rather his attitude that really gets me.
Little Ciel is sooooo adorable *-* The time where he was still pure aww <3
The end with Tanaka-san gave me chills. Poor Peter lying down there..

LOL I can't help but agree with everything you said there xD

PrimeX said:
So that's just it? The reason why the circus peeps kept on obeying his orders was because they owe him and because he supports the circus financially? I don't understand. Joker said the circus has kids who can't live without that Baron and yet he kidnapped kids and killed people for him? If he's really into saving kids and stuff then why? That's hypocrisy or rather.. selfish. Like I don't care about other kids, as long as my kids are doing good.

"You aren't wrong. You fought to protect your world. What's wrong with that? In the end, "justice" is just an official line taken by those in power to serve their own ends. No one's looking out for others. If you're careless, you'll be robbed. There are only two kinds of people in this world: those who steal, and those who are stolen from." - Ciel to Joker

I think that's what Ciel was talking about when he gave his speech to Joker - to him, and probably to Joker, it doesn't matter that it's hypocritical or selfish, because that's what he wants to do. But by the same reasoning, that's why Ciel can then proceed to kill Kelvin and the rest of the circus troupe. I guess that kind of selfishness is what the anime is really trying to illuminate?
Jun 24, 2015 8:58 PM

Jan 2013
I actually don't mind the Circus members but they had it coming.
Sep 30, 2015 12:09 AM

Feb 2010
Aaww man I'm kinda sad. I didn't even get to know those who died. I wanted to know more about their characters.
I really liked Wendy and she was barely in the series. I really wanted to see more of her. I do LOVE mey rin. She's so cool and so pretty. Wish she didn't wore those glasses. But it's cool when she takes them off.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Nov 11, 2015 8:48 AM

Jan 2012
lol it was censored , i think i need some servants like this.

Apr 14, 2016 1:14 AM

Mar 2016
Wow. I knew the servants weren't going to go down just like that but they were also stronger than I expected them to be, it was also surprising since they are never really serious and always mess up while doing their tasks.
Jun 9, 2016 8:49 AM

Dec 2015
Grell is back haha cant wait to see him in action, he's so much fun. Look at the old guy, he beat the crap out of one of them...wow, color me impressed
joe_g7Jun 9, 2016 9:02 AM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 8, 2016 6:32 PM
Jul 2016
I'm just upset here's only 2 episodes left besides the OVA's
Aug 11, 2016 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
I can't believe Father saw Ciel once and became like infatuated with him, that's a real pervert, the look in his eyes was too much.

He became obsessed with the whole family and they didn't care for him, Ciel's dad who was apparently in to some dodgy stuff didn't even recognise him the second time.

The fact father was willing to undergo surgery to become better looking like a doll to try and get in with them was too extreme.

Ciel's dad Vincent does look almost too much like Sebastian lol. Maybe they are secretly one in the same lol.

I don't get how Joker and the rest could cope with such a loon even if he helped them, they should have got their prosthetics and done a runner, used him.

Grell looked so different with red hair, I forgot about that lol.

Wow, all that blood! I can't believe Sebastian cut off Joker's arm and he should've bled more I'm sure and Ciel shot Father! whoa! I'm glad he did, he deserved it! he had it coming for sure!

Plus half of the rest of the circus got killed by the other lot at the mansion which was cool and I forgot how badass they all were lol.
Sep 6, 2016 10:45 PM

Mar 2014
It's been 7 years and Grell is just as amazing as I remember him. I love how much his suspension parallels how we didn't get to see him at all after the original series ended - it made the feeling of him finally getting back to work really feel like he was BACK! So much nostalgia when he said Sebas-chan too

Was also a great feeling when the mansion got attacked, and I remembered with Ciel how strong those 3 servants are in combat. I smirked right along with Ciel at that scene! It feels like I'm living parts of season 1 again, but with more dark overtones.

That flashback scene at the banquet really does imply that "Ciel" was actually "our" Ciel's twin brother. I wonder if they'll ever explicitly state so in the series though. So gross how that old man became obsessed with the beauty of the Phantomhives though.
VysarineSep 6, 2016 10:52 PM
Jul 29, 2017 3:48 AM
Jun 2013
So ciel and his pop were so good looking it drive this guy mad. Also this episode reminds me why battles are best left to the minimum here. All the mc are way to op. It kinda kills the tension.
Sep 18, 2017 12:40 AM

Jun 2016
Fuck! I almost forgot how dark this show can get. Damn damn damn! I honestly feel bad for those circus folks, but damn they'll harm the mansion and Elizabeth is inside, so I think it's necessary for Mey-rin and Finny to kill them? Gah. I fucking love this show.

WELCOME BACK, GRELL! GAAAAH! I LITERALLY SCREAMED WHEN HE APPEARED. MY HEART MY HEART! I MISSED YOU SOOOOO MUCH, GRELL!

Bruuuh, Ciel's father is so fucking handsome. What the fuck what the fuck. Just imagine Ciel growing up handsomer than his father. OHMYGOD.

Poor circus folks, maaan. ;-;

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 4, 2019 12:44 PM
Jan 2018
This is so much better then the filler of the first season . Why didn't they just so this Arc to Begin with. And if there wasn't enough Material at the time what was the point of making it a 24 epiosdes.

Thankfully they decided to go back and follow the correct route of the manga even though they added a few filler here and there like the first episode which was probably just and ease in

this season could potentially be 7 or 8 for me. I did like the first season ... until I found out it was most filler which prevented me from giving it a 7 or 8 .

Anyways it was good to at least get more perspective on ciels past and family. And it was really creepy with that dude still don't get why he got his legs cut off though.

Feel kinda sorry for joker and the cirus gang but still if they knew it was wrong to do it they shouldn't have done it no matter what reason . Forgot the staff at the mansion where more the just clown's .

In the end joker his getting what he deserves so so is the circus for blind loyalty

Apart from beast tamer she seemed like she knew when to quit and doll as well
Mattinator95Jun 4, 2019 2:08 PM
Jul 3, 2019 1:27 AM

Jan 2019
So the Circus folk who raided Ciel's place are pretty dumb. Like they already know Finny is a "monster" so what make them think everyone else at the estate isn't some supernatural being. Also the green boi should have thought, "hey, if that girl sniped Wendy maybe I shouldn't go out of cover." Instead of going OUT OF COVER and then thinking that.

Poor Wendy she was such a cute girl to cosplay as.
Sep 1, 2020 7:35 AM

Mar 2019
Ah fuck. This hurts. I still dont know if I care about that old shit but he is SO RIGHT, you are no one in this world( and I mean ours, irl ) if you are not special. BUT MAN, I love how Mey looks without her glasses and god damn those 2 shots, tho I wonder what that kid said before he died. She's not a lunatic, but what? Cause she's not a demon. Also, I feel bad for the circus kids, dying like that. Especially that girl, that bullet sound cracking her skull was so on-point. But at the same time, they wanted to do something worse so Idk man. Great episode tho.
Also, I hatee when bad characters say "You are a monster", like fucker, look at you, you are the fking inhuman here ( so basially what the girl said before she died ).
Alex_TheForestSep 1, 2020 7:54 AM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 6, 2020 4:25 AM

Jan 2010
Rewatching~

Those subtle twin-ciel hints was amazing. It totally flew over my head when I first watched this 5 years ago. Now that I actually paid more attention, I caught the hints immediately. 😂 Love this episode!!
May 21, 2021 9:44 PM

Apr 2009
How Sebastian really modeled himself after Ciels father. What a beautiful man. It would be nice to see grown up Ciel. Speaking of Ciel... It's heavily implied here that Ciel has a twin... Ciel cant be on one side of this father and then on the other, he runs away but he's still by his side? Nope, there's two of those beautiful boys.

What a cool way to reveal the Phantomhive servants aren't so useless after all. Love it! I'm finding myself having a hard time feeling sorry for the circus crew after their heinous crimes....
Jan 3, 12:04 PM
Nov 2021
one of my favorite yet
I loved seeing the servants pop off
Apr 6, 3:01 PM

Nov 2017
Baron Kelvin is a real piece of shit that, Yana Toboso really nailed it by perfectly crafting her character around the murders of children!

On the other hand, I'm sad that Jumbo and Wendy died like this. He deserved a second chance. RIP. 🙏
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

146 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

130 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

92 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 9:58 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

72 by Elyshion »»
Apr 3, 3:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.