Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2014 4:48 PM
Aug 2014
Hi guys, i would like to get some help about what i didn't understand.
Sorry for my english :3

I watched this anime recently and i loved it. The only thing that disturbed me is about the endings. I didn't understand everything : in the first one Otonashi decides to leave the afterlife world because he can't imagine living without Kanade. He does so because he gets a little chance to find her and that's what happened. For me that's the "true" one, but that's not important for now.

The second one (alternative) shows Otonashi staying in this world to help the ones who arrive; he's also waiting for "someone", we guess it's Kanade. And here's the problem : is he waiting for her to die again and to have regrets again so she can come back here?

Now it'is about the theory "Is Otonashi the programmer of Angel player?" (The guy in Ep. 12 talks about him). This would make sense, not because the situation is similar in the alternate ending (he's waiting for the one he loves) but because of other things (I'll list them later). If that's right, he was here before Kanade (that's logic because he died before), and then resets himself, becoming a NPC, and, at the beginning of Ep. 1, he becomes a human back, as Takamatsu. The questions are : is that theory right ? (Do you have a proof it's false?) and if it' true, who was the girl he was in love with (and he was waiting for) before he programmed Angel player?
Is it just random that Otonashi and the programmer have the same story? (Sorry for this one, didn't know how to write it x))

The only proofs i have :
-it's why he lost his memory
-also why he's wearing a NPC suit at the beginning
-when he's doing the test he finds it easy, however he lost his memory

Thank you for your help!
Aug 26, 2014 5:19 PM
Aug 2014
I just wanted to add an other possible theory: Otonashi had no regrets, but Kanade had one. So she arrived in this world and Otonashi was transfered here only because she had to tell him "thank you" to leave. That also explains why he arrived after her.

So which theory do you trust?
Aug 26, 2014 5:45 PM

Jun 2014
Angel beats! ending is definition of plothole.
Sep 17, 2014 6:16 AM

Jan 2014
It's the defenition of a terrible show that has no real meaning.
Sep 19, 2014 5:43 AM

Nov 2013
blessofcurse said:
Angel beats! ending is definition of plothole.

There are multiple theories that explain the ending and this so-called plothole, as this topic's creator already explained. They may sound a bit convoluted and you may not like them, but a convoluted explaination =/= plothole. 99% of the ending makes sense if you believe in one of those theories.
The only thing left to explain is Kanade's age: did she die 1-2 years after she recieved Otonashi's heart? I heard someone explaining it saying that it was Kanade's condition that stopped her growth, and she's older than she looks. So even this could have an explaination.

Gumpyyy said:

It pains me that people miss its rather obvious message that is portrayed in every major character's struggle and in the setup of the afterlife itself.
What pains me even more is that those shallow people then have to come to a forum and wave around their ignorant opinion as if hating on a popular show made them feel better / look smarter.
Oct 3, 2014 12:29 AM

Jan 2014
kokusho36 said:

Gumpyyy said:

It pains me that people miss its rather obvious message that is portrayed in every major character's struggle and in the setup of the afterlife itself.
What pains me even more is that those shallow people then have to come to a forum and wave around their ignorant opinion as if hating on a popular show made them feel better / look smarter.

So the internet would be better if everyone had the same opinion?
It's way more fun too talk to someone who has different opinions then you so get different perspectives. And get intruduced to new stuff. Also I don't sit here and hate on popular show just too hate populare shows. I make my opinions on each show I watch.
Oct 3, 2014 12:35 AM

Apr 2014
I don't really like ambiguous or vague endings like this, but it worked imo for Angel Beats. It's really up to the viewer to decide what the ending means --- to them at least.
Oct 4, 2014 9:00 PM

Sep 2014
The problem with this series was that it was way too short for the story it wanted to tell.
Oct 12, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2014
The reason Otonashi was sent after Kanade could be the fact that he lived a fulfilled life and did not need to go to the Afterlife. However, Kanade's life could not be fulfilled without thanking him. One could say that God sent Otonashi to the Afterlife for that to be fulfilled.

In a way, Otonashi is like an angel sent from heaven.

Thus why the series is called Angel Beats (his heart).
Oct 14, 2014 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
Visagezero said:
The reason Otonashi was sent after Kanade could be the fact that he lived a fulfilled life and did not need to go to the Afterlife. However, Kanade's life could not be fulfilled without thanking him. One could say that God sent Otonashi to the Afterlife for that to be fulfilled.

That makes sense, if only it was explained properly though!

The show exposed that you go to the afterlife if you HAVE regrets or didn't like the way you died. MC died in a train stupidly and didn't get to have a job or whatever that was, while his sister also didn't make it did she?

The show also doesn't explain when and how do people make it to the afterlife. As soon as they die? maybe some months go by? it is assumed that people get there instantly, and therefore MC should have arrived there immediately (assuming he had a bad life, which in my opinion he did, but following your theory it appears that he didn't need to show up in the afterlife initially, only doing so because of the main heroine's whim).

Many concepts are vague or left unexplained. It's nice when animes intentionally left things to be figured out by the viewers, but I don't think this is one of those times. They just failed to properly explain the plot and that's the cold harsh truth.

Slap more development between the main characters (I never could get to believe how MC fell in love so quickly and with so few interactions with her), have Kanade downright say the exact words explaining that she couldn't move on without saying thanks in their final conversation (it's been more than 2 years since I watched this, pretty sure she didn't say anything along these lines but there's a small chance I could be wrong), and then maybe the story would've been touching, or at least it would have made sense.
InfatuateOct 14, 2014 12:42 AM

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Oct 15, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
Visagezero said:

This explanation makes a lot of sense to me. I believe its more or less spot on exactly what happened, but there are always some questions with the whole computer program and things.

Regardless, I loved the way the series played out and ended. A lot of the show seems to reply on the viewer putting things together themselves and believing what they want. In a sense, you can interpret certain things a bit differently than the next person, and it seems its done on purpose. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people, but for me, this series played out beautifully. I wish there was more, just so I could keep watching, but the story ended just right
Oct 15, 2014 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
Infatuate said:
Visagezero said:

That makes sense, if only it was explained properly though!

The show exposed that you go to the afterlife if you HAVE regrets or didn't like the way you died. MC died in a train stupidly and didn't get to have a job or whatever that was, while his sister also didn't make it did she?

The show also doesn't explain when and how do people make it to the afterlife. As soon as they die? maybe some months go by? it is assumed that people get there instantly, and therefore MC should have arrived there immediately (assuming he had a bad life, which in my opinion he did, but following your theory it appears that he didn't need to show up in the afterlife initially, only doing so because of the main heroine's whim).

Many concepts are vague or left unexplained. It's nice when animes intentionally left things to be figured out by the viewers, but I don't think this is one of those times. They just failed to properly explain the plot and that's the cold harsh truth.

Slap more development between the main characters (I never could get to believe how MC fell in love so quickly and with so few interactions with her), have Kanade downright say the exact words explaining that she couldn't move on without saying thanks in their final conversation (it's been more than 2 years since I watched this, pretty sure she didn't say anything along these lines but there's a small chance I could be wrong), and then maybe the story would've been touching, or at least it would have made sense.

I'm a fan of the first theory that the OP explained, in which Otonashi got sent to the afterlife right after he died, and his regret was that he didn't get to meet the person he saved. Then, after waiting for years, he decided to create "the shadows" and turn himself into an NPC because he was suffering too much.

In the flashback, however, it's clear that he died without regrets, since he was happy that he managed to give his life meaning by saving the ones in the train + donating his organs. Maybe, giving him a regret was just a way (for God?) to keep him in the afterlife so that he can meet Kanade. Or maybe he really did regret the fact that he died before starting a normal life, since his actions at the end of the series don't seem appropriate for someone who was completely satisfied (trying to convince Kanade to stay with him and so on).

Of course, it's all speculation. The show didn't explain it properly, but it left many clues pointing in this direction (as the OP noted), and the "alternate ending", in which Otonashi states that he's waiting for someone, may in fact be a scene from before he turns into an NPC, while he was waiting for his "love" to come to the afterlife.

Unfortunately, it's an habit of Key to introduce supernatural elements in the most vague way possible, so that they can basically do whatever they want with them.

It is also true that the two MCs fell in love too suddenly, but they definately had at least some bonding time, and the connection they shared by having the same heart still managed to move me.
I don't remember if Kanade says those exact words you mentioned, but she definately says something along those lines (it was the exact moment when a river of tears started flowing from my eyes, so I'm pretty sure about this).
Lollo36Oct 16, 2014 12:30 AM
Oct 16, 2014 11:38 PM

Dec 2012
kokusho36 said:

I don't remember if Kanade says those exact words you mentioned, but she definately says something along those lines (it was the exact moment when a river of tears started flowing from my eyes, so I'm pretty sure about this).

To make myself clear, I meant it as in Kanade saying (based on the theory I initially referenced) explicitly that the only reason why the MC was summoned there was because she needed to say thanks.

Oct 16, 2014 11:44 PM

Aug 2014
kokusho36 said:

I'm a fan of the first theory that the OP explained, in which Otonashi got sent to the afterlife right after he died, and his regret was that he didn't get to meet the person he saved. Then, after waiting for years, he decided to create "the shadows" and turn himself into an NPC because he was suffering too much.

In the flashback, however, it's clear that he died without regrets, since he was happy that he managed to give his life meaning by saving the ones in the train + donating his organs. Maybe, giving him a regret was just a way (for God?) to keep him in the afterlife so that he can meet Kanade. Or maybe he really did regret the fact that he died before starting a normal life, since his actions at the end of the series don't seem appropriate for someone who was completely satisfied (trying to convince Kanade to stay with him and so on).

Of course, it's all speculation. The show didn't explain it properly, but it left many clues pointing in this direction (as the OP noted), and the "alternate ending", in which Otonashi states that he's waiting for someone, may in fact be a scene from before he turns into an NPC, while he was waiting for his "love" to come to the afterlife.

Unfortunately, it's an habit of Key to introduce supernatural elements in the most vague way possible, so that they can basically do whatever they want with them.

It is also true that the two MCs fell in love too suddenly, but they definately had at least some bonding time, and the connection they shared by having the same heart still managed to move me.

Agreed. Everyone complains that the show is too short to tell such a story filled with romance and a wide variety of characters, but I believe it managed to do just that in as little as 12 episodes. While it may feel compact at first, each episode had it's own meaning and progression towards the ultimate truth. After all, these shows were meant to be watched over the span of 12-14 weeks. Gives the viewer plenty of time to take it in, much like fermenting wine to me.
Oct 17, 2014 10:40 AM

Dec 2012
Visagezero said:
While it may feel compact at first, each episode had it's own meaning and progression towards the ultimate truth.

Are you serious?

Oct 18, 2014 4:47 PM

Nov 2013
Visagezero said:
Agreed. Everyone complains that the show is too short to tell such a story filled with romance and a wide variety of characters, but I believe it managed to do just that in as little as 12 episodes. While it may feel compact at first, each episode had it's own meaning and progression towards the ultimate truth. After all, these shows were meant to be watched over the span of 12-14 weeks. Gives the viewer plenty of time to take it in, much like fermenting wine to me.

Honestly, the first 9 episodes weren't exactly compact or fast-paced, to the point of feeling like filler at times, while the last 4 episodes were clearly rushed.
Angel Beats made me feel many things, but I've never got the sensation that it was always well planned out, coherent and meaningful.

If people felt that the ending (for example) was rushed and illogical, good for them.
I personally didn't even think or care about the order in which the protagonists came to the afterlife, and the bond they shared was enough for me.
But it could have been sooooooooooooooo much better, so I can't completely deny their criticism.
Apr 8, 2015 4:15 PM

Dec 2014
http://angelbeats.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:3859

"I somehow feel that...." was my post. Check it out please!!! :)
I was here? Prove it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

538 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.