Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2009 11:03 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, it's over. I thought the last 2 episodes were probably the best KOR episodes in awhile, focusing on purely on Madoka and Kyosuke. Hikaru was sort of pushed to the wayside for these last few episodes, which I think is a good thing. Did anyone actually believe she stood a chance? Anyway, I was happy with the ending.

I give this series a 7/10, because of the fillers that made up a large part of the second half.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2010 3:58 AM

Nov 2008
Ends the series onto the Movies ...^.^
I felt the last few episodes of Kimagure Orange Road where the best of the series...xD
Sep 17, 2010 5:20 PM

Jun 2007
It wasn't a bad final episode, but the parallel universe nonsense wasn't required and took up the majority of the 20 or so minutes. The end of the love triangle got left to the first movie, and the kiss didn't get shown; only Madoka standing on her toes and a shot from the distance. Episode 47 satisfied me much more.

Overall, viewed as a lighthearted, feel good rom-com, it was great. Practically all of the episodes could be described as filler since sod all advanced from the start, and even the ending didn't conclude the story. But, ignoring some seriously dodgy episodes in the 40's, the series was so entertaining, heart-warming and, at times, cute that I didn't mind a great deal about the lack of progression. Every once in awhile, it's good to be able to watch a story with romance and NOT get stressed over who ends up with whom.

If you put the series under the microscope and view it more objectively, KOR does have a number of nasty flaws, though. The first is that Hikaru's a plot device, rather than a believable character - there only to keep the story going until the end of time, or cancellation. The second is the way Kyosuke ONLY ever cared about and wanted Madoka, yet, when prompted, expressed how he couldn't decide between a childishly retarded stalker and his love - and, again, this was done to keep the story going.

Ignoring the more obvious issues, I'd say Madoka's background was also bothersome. In the manga, the story went on for four years - from the final year of junior high to the end of high school. However, the anime squashed everything into one year, and I think this had a negative impact on Madoka's characterization. She changed from a smoking, drinking, biker gang chick, with a bad rep, to being friendly, pure, and all the rest. And she also went from blanking Kyosuke in public completely to there being no issue. I can't say for sure if the same unnatural transition occurs in the manga, but I certainly noticed it in the anime.

Would a problematic teenager suddenly change because some goody-goody idiot happened to helpfully inform her smoking is bad for you? Is it even possible for a partying, delinquent girl to actually be sweet and loving girl; yet to be tainted? How the heck did she get so strong? What was with her slutty reputation (guy walking out of a club comment)? Etc, etc.

The mystery behind her character was never dealt with, and that left her seeming completely fake. Lovable and hot in the same kind of jealous/angry-faced way as Kyoko from Maison Ikkoku, but impossible to view as a realistic character.

...Anyway, time for me to watch the final OVA episode before hitting the hay. Then, tomorrow, the movies. Would it be hoping for too much if I said I wanted to see more of Madoka than Hikaru, now that I'm nearly done with the anime?
Mar 30, 2011 1:03 AM
Aug 2009
good last episode :)
Jul 1, 2011 3:47 AM
Nov 2007
It has a lot of problems (some of which were pointed out by AironicallyHuman), but regardless what they were I still found the series entertaining.

My viewing of anime generally falls under one of two categories: those that I watch intently, and those I watch casually. KOR mostly belongs to the latter. It was simple: mostly comedic characters, silly and sometimes random episode premises, and sometimes some drama. That said, I enjoyed comedic episodes and generally disliked the dramatic ones.

If this series had been made in the last decade, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. For some reason however, 80s romantic comedies have a certain charm I can't help but be attracted to.

Overall, I rated this series 7/10.
Mar 5, 2012 4:35 PM
Dec 2010
Very nice last two episodes. More similar episodes and this show could have scored 8-9/10 .

I'm glad to see they actully used brain little bit in matter of influencing past that wasn't actually seen as change in present.
(Many time travel movies got character relazing that present changed but that would make no sense as charater made change in past thus he had had to live in changed world before timetravel so he wouldn't have seen that change, glad they did it right in here :-) )

Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 18, 2012 12:58 PM

May 2010
AironicallyHuman said:
It wasn't a bad final episode, but the parallel universe nonsense wasn't required and took up the majority of the 20 or so minutes.

Lol yeah I have no idea why that happened or how that contributed to the story in anyway. Is it just to show us that they'll fall in love regardless or where they are?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 10, 2013 3:12 PM

Feb 2010
Dat end. Loved it.
Aug 28, 2013 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
Overall this wasn't that great for me but had it's charm and heartwarming moments. The 1st ending and 2nd opening theme were awesome and made me crave 80's j-pop.
Apr 5, 2015 7:24 PM

Sep 2013
Lots of paradox and rather confusing last episode. Well overall I enjoyed this anime. Now moving on to the ovas and movies.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 9, 2015 11:02 PM
Sep 2015
If you thought this was a pretty good anime or you thought it woulve been a great anime if the rest of the show was like these episodes OR your just looking for a Masterpeice anime with a great Romantic story, amazing character development, and funny quirky comedy; i highly recommend Maison Ikkoku as an amazing choice. I give it a 10/10, . And oh yeah, it actually has a full-fledged conclusion. And this coming from a guy. What are you still reading this for?! Go watch it!
Mangos-and-MangaOct 9, 2015 11:10 PM
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Puddintane?status=7&order=4&order2=0

•"Akane's really a nice girl, she's just a violent maniac"- Kisume

•"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put aside childish things."- The Apostle Paul, (quoted in Ghost in the Shell)

Jan 10, 2016 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
looks like the author CAN do something good if he puts his shit into it

now if only the 3 episodes before the previous one were of quality as well
Apr 11, 2016 2:01 PM

Jun 2014
A great ending to a great Anime!

I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. I wasn't impressed at all with the first dozen of episodes I saw, but once I got more than a quarter through the series, I really started to like it, and then ended up loving it.

Mar 13, 2017 12:54 PM
Feb 2013
For a classic anime, this was a great ride! Satisfied that Madoka and Kasuga finally got together. I'm definitely gonna watch Maison Ikkoku next
May 1, 2017 11:38 PM
Feb 2017
Kinda confused on the last episode. (Future) Did madoka knew it was kyousuke that met her 6 years ago? He didnt tell his name then.
May 5, 2017 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
@A4L99 Yes, she knew. I could write about it myself but since it's already available in a better english language than mine:

rkwong.tripod.com/korguide1.html

@vigorousjammer Based on what was had been done previously in the series (The Graduate, Top Gun, Gojira/Gamera, etc), I assumed at first it was an actual nod to the movie but it turned out to be impossible (release dates).
What are those "loose ends with the rest of the cast" you are talking about? o_O The father, sisters, the cousins, the classmates and Yûsaku were never a part of the "intrigue", more like background elements providing fun or used as events triggers and inhabiting the settings. Same with Ayukawa's family.
The Kyosuke/Ayukawa conclusion's consequence will be the plot of the theatrical finale (anime original), Ano hi ni kaeritai. (not to confuse with the movie adapting the ifrst of the three novels co-written by the mùangaka and anime scenarists, who acts more as an epilogue to the manga and anime)

The OAVs were made to adapt chapters (more or less faithfully) that would not have been tolerated as in during the TV broadcast. They happened somewhere during the manga, none of them are exact sequels to the TV show. Some of them are pretty good, notably the Hayakawa Mitsuru story, and you will finally get to meet Akane, the little brat's older sister.

==============
@HeroicIdealism It was a nice read, thanks. Have a great time with the theatrical finale (I don't mean the novel adaptation but the actual conclusion for the show).
Since you will stop watching jap.animation, I won't point out Hiatari Ryôko! for you.

==============
@Jirokissaw I don't know about 9 or 10 (I can't see a masterwork here, despite being extremely fond of the show), but I know that I put an 8 because it was very charming to follow (the redesigns, colours, musics and cinema references gave an added value to the TV adaptation) for a story about friendships around an egoistical average nice guy.
Also, the theatrical finale is one of the most exemplary conclusions in this kind of stories.

=======
@funkotaku The kiss was just the picture. What counted was what it represented, a kind of way to seal the characters new resolution. (also, I would have stopped way earlier if I had started this to follow a love intrigue)
Have a good time with the finale !
Rei_IIIMar 21, 2019 12:16 AM
Dec 6, 2017 6:20 PM

Mar 2014
A pretty cool final episode, I liked the alternate present-day stuff, kind of reminded me of Back to the Future Part II.
However, the very end was a bit anti-climactic. It seems like just a normal ending to an episode. I mean, sure it's a big moment for Kyosuke & Ayukawa, but it didn't really tie up any loose ends with the rest of the cast and even the way it was presented made it feel kind of standard.

I suppose there's still the OVA episodes. Here's hoping they do more to wrap things up.

Overall, I really enjoyed the series. The characters were so well written that I'll likely remember them for years to come. The comedy was also fun & lighthearted, and there were some really cool stylistic moments in terms of the presentation. It gets an 8/10 from me for sure.

Edit - 2017-12-07:
@Rei366: I guess the main loose end would be what's covered in the movie, what happens between Kyousuke & Hikaru. You're right, the rest of them are just side plots that already have a conclusion of some type.
vigorousjammerDec 7, 2017 3:56 AM
::End of Transmission::

Dec 7, 2017 10:25 PM
Nov 2015
I hate the cousin kid soooo damn much now
Dec 7, 2017 10:36 PM
Nov 2015
Fine final episode. Hideous anime.

And stop recommending this terrible anime on every review on Maison Ikkoku. The 2 are wholly different.
Sean_NessmanDec 7, 2017 10:44 PM
May 26, 2018 10:01 AM

Nov 2016
Sean_Nessman said:
Fine final episode. Hideous anime.

And stop recommending this terrible anime on every review on Maison Ikkoku. The 2 are wholly different.

Lol sadly I fell for this trap with people recommending this as something "as good as Maison Ikkoku".
May 26, 2018 10:04 AM

Nov 2016
Personally I wasn't particularly a big fan of the path they took for Kyosuke/Madoka. But it's whatever as long as it ends up with the two over that annoying Hikaru. I did enjoy the Kyosuke/Madoka moments but it definitely doesn't save this anime from its trainwreck.
Sep 5, 2018 9:11 AM

Jan 2013
Good anime. Would be one of the best ever if Hikaru was not a thing. And if it was 24 episodes. A good SoL Kyosuke x Madoka story would be hella better than those goddamn Hikaru episodes with that annoying "Darling" shit.

I'm gonna rate it a 8 for the splendid animation and the ending. Now time to watch what's left
Feb 3, 2019 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
^I love Hikaru, so I'm glad she's in the series. And I'm happy that it was 48 episodes. Wish it was even longer (it technically is, lol).

I haven't watched anime for 2 months now... but I just had to finish this one. May be the last anime I watch for a long time. My enjoyment for this medium is waning... everything nowadays has no heart, to me. Just moe cuteness and fetish overload and overused shounen tropes and "best girl" nonsense and whatnot... I can't really explain it other than, modern anime doesn't relate to me. I don't relate to it, more like.

Not the case with Kimagure Orange Road, an anime that feels very nostalgic, an anime that isn't cynical, an anime where pure love can exist. This whole series felt 'pure' to me. The 80's... it was a very different time, a simpler one. Despite the cartoony style at times, the characters in this show also felt more real than the fetish-shaped cardboard cutout moe girls of today... The main character is a naive boy who wants a pure love and isn't sex hungry. Madoka, despite starting as a delinquent, is the most gentle and loving soul there is. And the side characters are genuinely funny and lovable.

I'm no anime reviewer... so I'm not able to articulate my thoughts in an essay. I just loved this charming show, and I'll be watching the OVAs and the follow up movie. And I think Kimagure Orange Road will be a good series to end my commitment to anime with. I think it is time for me to move on to bigger things, and Kimagure Orange Road inspired me to continue trying to live a wholesome life with those I love, and hopefully even find my own Madoka along the way.
Feb 11, 2019 11:12 PM

Dec 2015
Those last two episodes wont change how awful this is the whole show plot was running in circles repeating same jokes and situation over and over without any development what a waste i cant understand people throwing 10 and 9 at this non sense disaster

@Rei366 i'm talking about the review section and i'm totally alright with you the art is charming the music is beautiful the staff did a really good job and i love 80's/90's work but the overall plot couldn't bring me to love this show in the end we all have different taste it's okay....
JirokissawFeb 12, 2019 6:12 PM
Mar 20, 2019 11:48 PM

Sep 2011
I went through 48 episodes just for a damn kiss. Super disappointed.
Apr 4, 2020 9:31 AM

May 2016
I had to come soon to write this before I forget about Ushiko san and Umao san first encounter xD

2nd first kiss for the ending nice one. 7/10
looking forward to the ova and movie.
Apr 4, 2020 4:22 PM

Nov 2016
It worked as a finale, even tho not everything was wrapped up, hoping for more closure in the movie or maybe the last OVA episode.

But more importantly I loved this series for the slice of life-comedy and it's episodic nature. The cast was amusing albeit equally irritating at times xD

Was never bored while watching and I could see myself revisiting it in a few years.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 28, 2021 4:11 PM
Oct 2019
It has finally come to an end. What a great ride I'll have to say. This show really made me have a strange feeling of nostalgia. Glad I was part of this journey getting to experience again what it means to be a 15 years old boy. A well deserved 10/10 from me. Kyousuke x Madoka <3
Now all I have to do is to jump right into the OVAs and Movies to get the whole KOR goodness.
Jul 31, 2021 8:29 PM

Sep 2020
And at last, the show is over.

As I was saying in the episode 47 forum, this is KOR's finest hour, with some outstanding last episodes that once and for all, give the Ayukawa x Kyosuke relationship its very deserved kiss in such a terrific manner. These episodes alone are a 10/10, but since we are qualifying the whole experience, I'll have to agree that a 7/10 is good enough for KOR... At least until I rewatch it.

Ngl, now that it's over am feeling kinda nostalgic and melancholic, I truly had a good time watching this anime.

Follow me next time, when I watch the OVA and the movie.

QueenHaruko out.
Jan 19, 2022 10:15 AM

Jan 2018
"I just dance in the sweet memories!"

I really enjoyed this episode. It was actually a unique time travel story. Thanks to Kyosuke's Grandpa. Now Madoka knows about Kyosuke... And the two finally kissed! I wish we could get a longer more passionate kissing segment after so many teases but I'll allow this.
The parallel world segment was strange because it had police officer Komatsu and Hatta which makes absolutely no sense. But I liked seeing delinquent Madoka for probably the last time.
Kyosuke better wait for Madoka to return from America instead of getting it on with Hikaru...

I finished Kimagure Orange Road (TV) in 5 days so I was watching like 10 episodes each day... Part of what made it easier to finish so fast for me were the episodic nature of the series. But I wish it was less formulaic and episodic.

I loved this anime, simply put. Obviously not all 48 episodes are perfect and there are some gaps in quality unfortunately. I think the series' best episodes were from episode 1 to before episode 30's. I'd type out what my most favorite episodes were but it's not like I remember the episode number or titles :( I'll just give short descriptions: the first episode where Madoka asks Kyosuke to stay over at his home, the island episode and the last 2 episodes probably. There were other great episodes like Kurumi and Manami dedicated episodes and ones where Kyosuke is either hypnotized or have his personality changed. There's a surprising amount of variety in the episodes (though not as much as something like Urusei Yatsura albeit that anime is 4 times longer so)... which makes KOR truly... whimsical.

My favorite character is obviously Madoka Ayukawa. She's the main reason I even bothered to continue watching this series. Strangely I thought I'd dislike her the most cause I didn't like her slutty looks in the promotional materials I saw prior to watching the series. She's surprisingly way more reserved in the series despite her delinquent background.

My biggest frustration with the series is the 2nd lead character Hikaru. I don't even remember her last name. There's actually great amount of potential with her in the love triangle since unlike most romcoms the 2 lead female characters are best friends and instead of turning into rivals they still continue to be friends which is fun to see. Madoka knowing about the whole situation but not telling Hikaru a word is kind of what makes this show thrilling to watch. But I think it's all wasted because the anime simply doesn't explore Hikaru and her core much. There were some attempts at making Kyosuke like Hikaru but it was never even a competition. She's just a hindrance that the main character has to avoid in order to reach his actual goal. The only positives described by Kyosuke's grandmother was that she's always "cheerful" and "caring" (to a fault I must add). People call Madoka a Mary Sue but I think the term suits Hikaru better, or at least it might've if she wasn't so damn annoying in almost all of her screentime. There were absolutely zero moments where I could seriously consider Hikaru as a genuine contender for Kyosuke. She's just a wasted character. I've been wanting to say all this for so long but I didn't thinking it might change in the next episode but that never happened. I can see in today's shitty romcoms with the main character ending up with the secondary much less interesting heroine instead of the main heroine you've been rooting all along just for the sake of subverting the viewer's expectations. I'm sure glad this sort of bullshit weren't common in the 1980's. Just like Hikaru, Yuusaku is also a character with wasted potential. He never really posed any threat to Kyosuke or his little love triangle. Since he was attached to the less interesting Hikaru it also affected his character.

Kyosuke isn't really that interesting of a character. He didn't really go through much change over the course of the series but that doesn't mean he didn't have any character development at all. Most of it happened near the end of the series. But there's probably a lot I'm missing from the movies which I heard are much more serious. I don't think he's a bad character. Far from it. And I agree with Madoka's preference that he's fine just the way he is. It's because of the involvement with Hikaru that everything got complicated.

I gotta say the telekinesis power was an interesting plotdevice. But the show really wasn't about them and for the bulk of the episodes it took a backseat. It felt more like they were used to make the story shorter and more concise which I think was a good way of using them at least. Of course they played a major role in the last 2 episodes.

Manami and Kurumi had some nice moments and a few good dedicated episodes but just like the power they didn't serve too much purpose to the overall story. But if there were any sort of Kimagure Orange Road sequel I want these two to take the roles of the lead characters. I'd watch the shit out of that. At the end we didn't get to learn what happened to their mother. I'll probably have to dig some wikia later and find out about the complicated Kasuga family tree... Komatsu and Hatta can burn in hell. Idk if they were created inspired by Lum's Stormtroopers or something and if they were, they totally failed. Lum's Stormtroopers (most Megane) are fun characters to have in your show as comic relief but these two bozos are severely outdated now and I doubt they were popular even back in the day. I REALLY hope they don't end up with the Kasuga twins...
Jingoro was a pretty funny mascot character and I'm surprised by how much attention he got in the series even though most of them were abusive...

The music is a classic but that goes for almost anything that came from the 80's today. In the first episode I said that I disliked the artstyle of the series. As predicted I did start liking it more and more as I continued. I like Madoka's design the most cos she reminds me of other characters like Kyoko Otonashi. Ig this sort of design was popular then and I completely understand why. I think the rest of the female cast look great too except for Hikaru. I don't like her shorter hair.

Now I have to watch the movie, then the last OVA and finally the 2nd movie. After that I might watch the pilot episode which has the same story as episode 46 which I liked.

I wish I had patience to read mangas cause I heard KOR source is better than its adaptation. I'll probably read it someday if I'm feel nostalgic which I certainly will.
0451Jan 19, 2022 11:15 AM
Feb 27, 2022 3:44 PM
Feb 2022
This series was released in 1987. Yes, quite a lot of things have come cliche. But it was new 35 years ago.
May 3, 2022 9:34 AM

May 2019
The last 2 episodes actually make me increase my score a bit after long burned annoyance for trying to binge this. The powers are interesting but failed completely because of the horrendous protagonist and messy scripting which create paradoxes. I could never see or relate to Madoka as a real girl other than she is written to adhere to the shitty protagonist throughout the show. From her background as a delinquent become such a kindhearted strong perfect girl just from her meeting with this one idiot boy is just doesn't feel natural. She also lacks any real character flaws. Hikaru is too annoying and not fit to become a contender for the love triangle to work. There is no real progression between them and most of the episodes are brimmed with garbage fillers. None of the cast is good or funny enough for me to actually enjoy the show. Not to mention the lame comedy that only shows how much pathetic Kyosuke is. The only good thing that I could say about the show are eye candy characters design by Akemi Takada that stay consistent throughout the whole show and the overall 80's vibe from the show. This is really disappointing to say the least.
VivaceRexMay 3, 2022 9:42 AM

Nov 15, 2022 5:46 AM

Sep 2021
wew that was kinda rushed. too many unexplained things. plus no closure for Hikaru-chan.

tho I'm still happy kyousuke x madoka sailed away.

Now off to watch the movies and OVAs.
Jan 6, 2023 9:32 AM
Oct 2017
Creme de la creme <3
May 22, 2023 2:11 PM
Jun 2019
it isnt the best ending, but it was fine
Oct 21, 2023 10:08 AM
Apr 2022
[Story] - 3.5
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 5
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 3.5
[Enjoyment] - 3.5
[Overall] - 3.5
Enjoyed this show not much into romance school themes but liked this one and the OVA that takes place after the show ends all that left is the two final films. Love 80's art style plus the music was great loved hearing it every time it aired the cast was good (Madoka Ayukawa) best girl. It took awhile for me to finished almost gave up around past ep 20's but was happy I pushed throw and saw the end of their story.
Jan 1, 4:31 PM
Oct 2020
// ---------- Intro ---------- //

Kimagure Orange Road is one those series I have never seen in my county.
So how did I end up watching it?
Because damn, those 70s vibes with that bang music is so good.
So after watching a couple of scenes from the anime, I decide to watch.

From what I understood, the main female character, Ayukawa Madoka, is a delinquent who knows about the adult life, and as a result of that life,
has a widsom of a meture woman.

So how does the anime start?

// ---------- The Start ---------- //
The series starts with the main character who's a boy that lives in a family with super natural powers.
The family recently moved into the big city, which is very different from what they're used to.
The boy, Kasuga, is the "main character" of this series.
He's kind young man who's about to change one girl's heart.

In the first episode where we see him meet Madoka, they both enjoy each other's company.
Madoka is pictured as a mature yet young girl, and Kasuga is rightly charmed by her personality along with her natural beauty.

After that 1st scene, we see in the 1st episode Hiruka, a cheerful girl who's also a delinquent like Madoka (supposedly).
To not spoil too much and ramble about the first 2 episodes, I'll summorize how the anime presented the 3 main characters.

Kasuga the kind young boy will who's suppose to change Madoka's life style.
Hiruka, the (supposive) delinquent that falls in love with Kasuga by pure Anime cliche.
And Madoka the girl that charms Kasuga but is slowly "purefied" from the delinquent life style.

// ---------- How Ayukawa Madoka was suppose to be ---------- //

Ayukawa IS the main character of the series, and it's not just because she's attractive and all.
From what we understand in the 1st 2 episodes (and some early episodes later), Madoka is a girl that opposes the system.
She goes to clubs
Smokes cigarettes
Drinks alcohol casually
Beats other people if the threat her or her friends and is feared among her classmates.
Raises her voice if someone talks down on her.
And probably knows about the ins and outs of sex (which is VERY hinted in one of the episodes, which I'll mention at the end)

However, the unique thing about Madoka, is that she ain't a delinquent in a cartoonish way.
Since she lives in the clubs (or "discos" as they referred to them back then), she matured rather quickly then her classmates.
She has this mysterious past about her which charms Kasuga Kyosuke, as he couldn't believe a girl like her can be a delinquent.

This is why in the 1st episode, Kasuga kyosuke stops her from smoking again.
While she was mad at him, she was touch by his reason for doing what he did.
"If you smoke, you won't have healthy kids".
Finally, someone in her life recognizes her as a girl and not a delinquent.
Someone that is kind to her and not afraid of her like her classmates.

I love this kind of plot and it gives Madoka a unique character development while also giving Kyosuke his own development into mature life.

However, this plot is immediately drop later down the series

// ---------- Suddenly, Ayukawa is also smart, good at sports etc.. ---------- //

So, after assuming Ayukawa was this serious delinquent girl with a hard & mysterious past, suddendly we see that:
- She's dedicated to academics and is shown to enjoy studying
- She can play tennis, despite smoking
- She can play Saxophone because her parents are a workaholic professional musicians that perform worldwide.
- So in other words, she's kinda rich and a celebrity
- And thus, in most episodes later, her delinquent life style is completely absent.

And this is main reason why I dropped the series.
You can't have a main character who's also a delinquent but is a Mary Sue as well.
What's the point of Madoka's stuggle in society, if she's completely fine without Kasuga's help?
If she can get anything and have no trouble, why did she become a delinquent in the first place?
Just because her parents were absent from her life doesn't mean her friends can't help her in her life.
She has 2 childhood friends that love her very much and their not that all delinquents.
So why did she become a delinquent if she's Mary Sue?
No idea.

And so we're , instead, stuck in a forced love triangle that doesn't elevate the series.

// ---------- A love triangle that flash froze the main plot ---------- //

If I would pick the 1# mangaka that knows how to utilize love triangles well, it's gotta be Rumiko Takahashi.
Wether it's for comedic scenes like in Ranma 1/2 or for love development and shifts in Inuyasha, it's always used right.

But in the case of Kimagure Orange Road, this only makes it tiresome to watch and suffer.
Madoka constantly flirts with Kasuga, and Hiruka is dumb AF.
So dumb, that even after catching Kasuga not once, BUT TWICE, with Madoka, she insists on forcing a stupid love on Kasuga.
She's pretty much the OG Ruka from Rent a Girlfriend, only here she's also naive and dumb and more annoying.

// ---------- Comdic scenes don't work with serious female characters ---------- //

You know, I really enjoy mature female charaters in Media.
One of the great examples for that has to be Kikyo from Inuyasha.
There's not one scene where Kikyo shows a cartoonish goofiness.
This works great, because it emphasises her mature personality compared to Kagome who's childish sometimes.

This goes for Madoka Ayukawa as well.
You can put her in an erotic scene, and it works.
You can put her in a serious scene, and it works.
But you can't use her for comedic scenes. It just doesn't work with characters like her.

It's like, imagine this, in Inuyasha.
Inuysha meets Kikyo capturing souls to keep her self alive.
She's immobilized and yet she trusts Inuyasha to comfort her (much like how Ayukawa trusts Kyosuke).
Inuyasha rushes down to support her, but then, falls to the grounds and ends up touching a tit.
Wow, what a funny scene to watch the MC comedically fall on her breasts or whatever *COUGH* NOT.
Oh well, let's make Kikyo mad like a tsundere and slap him in the face and shout "BAKA".

It destroys the persona of the serious female character.
I can't stress this enough.
And let alone by the fact that the series ditched the original concept for something so unoriginal.

// ---------- Summary ---------- //

Much like with Rent a Girlfriend, I expected this series to be one thing only to be another.
It had such great potential to transform Madoka Ayukawa from being a delinquent mature girl, to a truly pure mature girl (i.e. best of both worlds).

It could have used the scene where Madoka & Kasuga were on a date and suddenly, an adult couple called her out for being a slut, indicating that Madoka probably had sex once.
But nope, that too deep, let's make a shallow love traingle with a naive girl that refuses to except reality...

Oh well...
Jan 1, 4:37 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to Jirokissaw
Those last two episodes wont change how awful this is the whole show plot was running in circles repeating same jokes and situation over and over without any development what a waste i cant understand people throwing 10 and 9 at this non sense disaster

@Rei366 i'm talking about the review section and i'm totally alright with you the art is charming the music is beautiful the staff did a really good job and i love 80's/90's work but the overall plot couldn't bring me to love this show in the end we all have different taste it's okay....
@Jirokissaw You're damn right
Apr 12, 4:18 AM

Jul 2023
When I was reading the episode title, I dreaded the possibility that time will reset to Episode 1. Glad that didn't happen.

Anyway, Kasuga timeslipping to an alternative timeline where he doesn't exist can be cut.

Its point may be to show that he will protect Ayukawa whichever version of Ayukawa is, but it dragged the pacing of this episode. It could've been a perfect episode, but it's good enough.

The feels of ep 47 is enough for me to rate this highly despite the bullshit in the episodes prior to it.

eta: Starting from January, it was a wonderful 5 months of watching Kimagure Orange Road. I'll just have to finish the two movies and the last OVA episode, and it's officially over.

edit no 2:

I found this podcast series that claims Kimagure Orange Road is the greatest anime of all time. My gut reaction is not to agree, but it may be worth listening. I'll listen after I finish the rest and will have written my reviews.

https://pod.link/abcb

Abcb Café

Team Alme Productions

The ONLY English-language podcast dedicated exclusively to a rigorous literary analysis of the greatest anime of the 80s (and possibly of all time): Kimagure Orange Road.
patkarununganApr 12, 6:46 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 47 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 23, 2009

21 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 12, 3:40 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 46 Discussion

9 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 45 Discussion

16 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 44 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 22, 2009

13 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 43 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 22, 2009

37 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.