Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 17, 2022 8:57 PM

Dec 2017
My favorite episode so far. I was expecting a happy ending like in the previous ones (i.e the fact that he dreamed about his family meant that the dream mushi would magically bring them back to life). The ending was sad, but understandable. The man was traumatized by the whole situation.

Since the pillow was a "soul storage" and he got rid of his pillow, then that would mean that maybe his fear of losing his soul while sleeping was actually reasonable.
Apr 26, 2022 1:20 PM

May 2019
The art is so superb and the music is relaxing. I can see why it's classified as iyashikei, yet...so many terrible things happen in this episode, it's intense, violent and dark. There's certainly a mixture of dreams and reality which I enjoy. Regardless of sub-genres or classifications this show is unique and amazing.
Aug 29, 2022 12:33 PM
Aug 2020
Damn, that was the first person he couldn't save. Downer ending but great episode.
Nov 22, 2022 7:28 PM

Sep 2008
Sometimes you just can't help people.
His descent into madness and suicide really cut deep (no pun intended)
I don't think I've seen any other anime handle themes of misfortune, depression and suicide quite like Mushishi has. Its like I'm watching it from the outside, but kinda know how the character is feeling.

Lunafleurette said:

Nice philosophical bit about the bridge between dreams and reality, and the symbolism of the pillow. The guy cut into his own soul when he cut it, hence he lost his ability to dream and there is 'nothing' for him to fall into when he slept. No surprise that he took his life.

Thanks for pointing this bit of symbolism in the episode. I guess you could say losing the ability to dream meant that his reality drove him mad.
eyerokNov 22, 2022 7:37 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 22, 2022 4:11 PM
Apr 2018
All the episodes are boring
Jan 24, 2023 6:15 PM

Jul 2016
this is my favorite episode as of thus... while i thought that the man was unsalvageable and that he should be allowed to extinguish his own flame, i did not expect this show to seriously allow that type of ending. i'm used to happy endings being shown. he lost everything, his family, his village, and even his will to live. his fear coupled with co-existing with the imeno no awai i'd imagine, is something few could cope with. including myself.
Mar 26, 2023 10:09 PM

May 2022
Really heavy episode. It's vibe reminded me of ergo proxy, which makes me like this show more.
Jan 3, 10:19 AM
Nov 2016
It's impressive how even the "least good" episode brings great reflections. A question related to dreams and the doubt in Mushi's host regarding the premonitions caused in his dreams was developed: "Do I dream about what will happen or do things happen because I dream?". This is complemented by the sad events that encompass Jin, the Mushi's host, especially the issues involving his wife and daughter.

The end of the episode brings us a reflection on how the pillow shelters our soul, as we spend our lives leaning on it when we sleep. In addition to how, when cutting the pillow that was the Mushi's crib, Jin cut himself and would later end his life in the same way. He was afraid to sleep and dream after he got rid of the Mushi crib. It's all quite thoughtful (and even a little heavy or uncomfortable).
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

131 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 8, 12:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.