Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2014 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
As many of us are aware, Hunter x Hunter(2011)'s Anime is ending, Naruto is being said to end "soon" and Bleach is slowly entering it's final stages. Once it's all said and done, this will be giving One Piece the glory of being the one that still stands, but in modern society, there will always be differences in opinions, so there will always be those who will be liking something than others just for that sole purpose. What series do you think will replace those that are soon to end? How much do you think that the Shounen world will change?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 24, 2014 2:34 AM

Jul 2014
I think the Shounen world should just end with them.
Aug 24, 2014 2:37 AM

Nov 2011
Japan no longer seems to market their products as well as they did in the past so i doubt we'll ever see anything as popular as the big three outside of japan even if they all finish, FT has done some decent work too but the big three still remain the most popular things out there and that is unlikely to change ever.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Aug 24, 2014 2:38 AM

Mar 2014
The big 3 is only an American concept due to the fact that those 3 animes are very much alike and we're airing at the same time. If they ended then there is no big 3 anymore
Nothing can replace then no matter how popular that thing is.
Aug 24, 2014 2:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
what future
Aug 24, 2014 2:43 AM
Jul 2014
I think they will just die off or new ones will replace them. fairy tail seems like the next in line but I personally think all of them are pretty mediocre (except for one piece because I haven't seen it and I refuse to criticize something I haven't watched)
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 24, 2014 2:44 AM

Jul 2014
Miki-Miki-Fanboy said:

Not gonna happen. The shounen magazines are still going strong, Shounen is the most popular demographic of anime and manga, deal with it. Both manga of OP and Bleach are still ongoing. So is HxH's manga. I personally think moe-shit should just end, but it's not gonna happen.
Aug 24, 2014 2:46 AM

Jul 2014
AnarchicSloth said:
I think they will just die off or new ones will replace them. fairy tail seems like the next in line but I personally think all of them are pretty mediocre (except for one piece because I haven't seen it and I refuse to criticize something I haven't watched)

I seriously hope, if there are replacements, that HxH will replace Naruto since Fairy Tail is a generic, predictable shounen.
Aug 24, 2014 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
Oda will still be writing One Piece when Earth has become a post-apocalyptic landscape and he's the only person left alive (presumably in a bunker that resembles the below deck Thousand Sunny)

The HXH manga is starting to pick up again and will likely have a second season provided there aren't too many hiatuses, Fairy Tail is still around, Gintama is still going strong, Toriko is very popular in Japan, shounen will be fine without Naruto and Bleach for a while I'm sure. There are new titles all the time, something will take their place eventually.
Aug 24, 2014 2:47 AM

Jul 2014
Shadow-Samaaaa said:
Miki-Miki-Fanboy said:

Not gonna happen. The shounen magazines are still going strong, Shounen is the most popular demographic of anime and manga, deal with it. Both manga of OP and Bleach are still ongoing. So is HxH's manga. I personally think moe-shit should just end, but it's not gonna happen.

i never said anything about Moe shit, in fact i would like the Moe/harem shit to die already, but i want to see more mature anime rather then dumb dues ex machina, although there are good shounen anime they are few and rare. that's why i said that
Aug 24, 2014 2:48 AM
Dec 2013
When Naruto ends, Shounen no longer has a future.

;_;
Aug 24, 2014 2:49 AM

Jul 2014
deadleeserious said:
Oda will still be writing One Piece when Earth has become a post-apocalyptic landscape and he's the only person left alive (presumably in a bunker that resembles the below deck Thousand Sunny)

The HXH manga is starting to pick up again and will likely have a second season provided there aren't too many hiatuses, Fairy Tail is still around, Gintama is still going strong, Toriko is very popular in Japan, shounen will be fine without Naruto and Bleach for a while I'm sure. There are new titles all the time, something will take their place eventually.

Toriko is only very popular because they advertise it so much.
Aug 24, 2014 2:49 AM

Jul 2014
ScazoN said:
When Naruto ends, Shounen no longer has a future.

;_;

Lol.
Aug 24, 2014 2:51 AM

Oct 2012
I guess people could name the next 3 top selling on-going Weekly Shounen Jump titles 'The Big 3'. Though I don't really see the point in doing that.
Aug 24, 2014 2:53 AM

Jul 2014
Miki-Miki-Fanboy said:
Shadow-Samaaaa said:

i never said anything about Moe shit, in fact i would like the Moe/harem shit to die already, but i want to see more mature anime rather then dumb dues ex machina, although there are good shounen anime they are few and rare. that's why i said that

There are plenty of good seinen anime/manga out there. And I never said that you said anything about moe-shit, I was just stating my opinion about moe.
Aug 24, 2014 2:53 AM

Jun 2013
The future is bright as long as Togashi keeps writing. We may just have to wait a couple hundred years.
Aug 24, 2014 2:55 AM

Jul 2014
FloatsBoats said:
The future is bright as long as Togashi keeps writing. We may just have to wait a couple hundred years.

Agreed, Togashi is a great writer. But he is a shit drawer lol
Aug 24, 2014 2:55 AM

Jul 2014
Shadow-Samaaaa said:
There are plenty of good seinen anime/manga out there. And I never said that you said anything about moe-shit, I was just stating my opinion about moe.

Yeah. my bad there
Aug 24, 2014 3:08 AM

Jan 2013
deadleeserious said:

I give Oda 5 years before he dies from overwork and lung cancer
Aug 24, 2014 3:10 AM
Jul 2014
deadleeserious said:
Gintama is still going strong

Gintama is no where near as popular as the big three over in the west (as far as I know) so I doubt it will replace them.
Shadow-Samaaaa said:
I seriously hope, if there are replacements, that HxH will replace Naruto since Fairy Tail is a generic, predictable shounen.

HxH probably will replace them if it returns but people are complaining about the manga author's long hiatuses so it may not live long enough to become as big.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 24, 2014 3:28 AM

Feb 2013
AnarchicSloth said:
Shadow-Samaaaa said:

HxH probably will replace them if it returns but people are complaining about the manga author's long hiatuses so it may not live long enough to become as big.
the traditional 'big 3' won't be replaced ever cause its a term used to refer just to naruto bleach and one piece which were the best selling mango with long animu adaptations when the term was coined

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/01/one-piece-tops-2013-manga-sales-in-japan
snk, magi, kuroko manga outsold 2 out of the big 3, so in that way they you could consider them the new big 3, but the big 3 still have a way longer anime which makes them stand stronger
toriko, fairy tail, gintama and hxh are the only best selling mango with 100+ eps anime newer than the big 3, and thus similar enough to them to be put in the same category
but since fairy tail is the only one that is ongoing and won't end anytime soon, it's the only one that can actually compare to the big 3, in terms of both manga and anime
but it will never replace them
Aug 24, 2014 3:33 AM
Jul 2014
romagia said:
AnarchicSloth said:

the traditional 'big 3' won't be replaced ever cause its a term used to refer just to naruto bleach and one piece which were the best selling mango with long animu adaptations when the term was coined

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/01/one-piece-tops-2013-manga-sales-in-japan
snk, magi, kuroko manga outsold 2 out of the big 3, so in that way they you could consider them the new big 3, but the big 3 still have a way longer anime which makes them stand stronger
toriko, fairy tail, gintama and hxh are the only best selling mango with 100+ eps anime newer than the big 3, and thus similar enough to them to be put in the same category
but since fairy tail is the only one that is ongoing and won't end anytime soon, it's the only one that can actually compare to the big 3, in terms of both manga and anime
but it will never replace them

I'm sorry, I used the wrong words. I should have said "next big three" instead. I hope that clarifies what I meant. Also I hope magi does become as "big" as the three (confirmed fanboy)
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 24, 2014 3:44 AM
Dec 2013
Hopefully, after Naruto and Bleach end, Masashi Kishimoto and Tite Kubo make another mainstream battle shounen manga, that'd become as big as their previous work. (But there probably isn't any point because they're rich as fuck). I doubt they're gonna retire after those manga finish, though.

But yeah, The Big 3 is a Western term, and it'll always mean One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.
Aug 24, 2014 4:04 AM

Feb 2013
AnarchicSloth said:
I'm sorry, I used the wrong words. I should have said "next big three" instead. I hope that clarifies what I meant. Also I hope magi does become as "big" as the three (confirmed fanboy)
manga-wise, magi, snk and kuroko already beat naruto, and like 10 more titles outsold bleach in 2013, but anime-wise i don't see them getting even getting a very long ongoing adaptation like the original big 3 because of changes in the industry
Aug 24, 2014 4:08 AM
Jul 2014
romagia said:
manga-wise, magi, snk and kuroko already beat naruto, and like 10 more titles outsold bleach in 2013, but anime-wise i don't see them getting even getting a very long ongoing adaptation like the original big 3 because of changes in the industry
It's unfortunate but a man can dream, right?
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 24, 2014 4:13 AM

Oct 2013
Pokemon will be the last anime standing.
Aug 24, 2014 4:18 AM
Jul 2014
-Riptide- said:
Pokemon will be the last anime standing.
Ash never ages so it can never die. Or the show gets canceled because they can't think of new additions to the pokeverse.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 24, 2014 4:24 AM

Sep 2012
Naruto is not going to end anytime soon according to Kishi.

Bleach will last 10 more years as stated by Kubo.
Aug 24, 2014 4:34 AM

Mar 2014
ExtraZero said:

No it won't.

And fun fact: It was Ichigo's VA Masakazu Morita who said that instead of the falsified rumor claiming it was Kubo. He was joking too might I add. It was in an interview where he asked Kubo if the story was going to continue for a few more years, Kubo nodded and said "Something like that yes" and then Morita shouted "Hey everybody, Kubo just said it's going to continue for 10 more years!"

Laughs were had, context was lost.
Aug 24, 2014 4:40 AM

Mar 2012
Ryukatsuka said:
ExtraZero said:

No it won't.

And fun fact: It was Ichigo's VA Masakazu Morita who said that instead of the falsified rumor claiming it was Kubo. He was joking too might I add. It was in an interview where he asked Kubo if the story was going to continue for a few more years, Kubo nodded and said "Something like that yes" and then Morita shouted "Hey everybody, Kubo just said it's going to continue for 10 more years!"

Mathematically it could last for at least 5 year since (if I'm not mistaken) Kubo say that last arc will be longer than Arrancar arc.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 24, 2014 4:45 AM

Mar 2014
NeoAnkara said:
Ryukatsuka said:

No it won't.

Mathematically it could last for at least 5 year since (if I'm not mistaken) Kubo say that last arc will be longer than Arrancar arc.

5 years is a possibility. Depending on the pacing and how much happens off screen, I'd say the general range is from 2-5 years. There's still a lot more left of this final arc, that much is for certain. If it's anything like Hueco Mundo, we're probably only in the first half.
Aug 24, 2014 5:16 AM
Nov 2010
I hope Naruto ends ASAP.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Aug 24, 2014 5:31 AM

Nov 2012
the toriko manga is prime big 3 level, but i doubt the anime will come back, toei ruined the cooking festival arc and gave it a filler ending ( but who knows)

the toriko cast said it will be a high possibility for toriko to return
Aug 24, 2014 6:12 AM

Dec 2012
Goodness the ignorance here.

There is nothing to replace. It's a western term specifically made for those three titles. It doesn't get updated, changed or anything.

And the future of Shounen manga is not gonna get affected if Naruto ends, or if even One Piece ends, seeing as it's the most popular manga demographic, and there are always next big manga from Shounen magazines (Attack on Titan, AssClass, Magi, KnB, etc)

aboe said:
the toriko manga is prime big 3 level

In terms of sales and popularity, no it's not.

It's not even in Bleach's level.
tsudecimoAug 24, 2014 6:16 AM
Aug 24, 2014 6:28 AM
Jul 2014
tsudecimo said:
Goodness the ignorance here.

There is nothing to replace. It's a western term specifically made for those three titles. It doesn't get updated, changed or anything.

And the future of Shounen manga is not gonna get affected if Naruto ends, or if even One Piece ends, seeing as it's the most popular manga demographic, and there are always next big manga from Shounen magazines (Attack on Titan, AssClass, Magi, KnB, etc)
No one asked about the future of shounen manga (I don't think), the thread is about the big three. What I am predicting is that, when they stop airing/releasing, the western viewers/readers will start to explore different types of anime/manga, and eventually new material will become the mainstream stuff over here. Thus the big three will eventually fade into peoples vague memories.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 24, 2014 6:37 AM

Dec 2012
Not really. Bleach still has high ratings as a re-run in Toonami for example.
Aug 24, 2014 6:45 AM

Dec 2012
Maybe Oda's new work after One Piece'll debut, who knows. I don't think the big 3 will fade that easily, I'd like to tell me grandkids about them somday.

Aug 25, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2014
kurosaki344 said:
As many of us are aware, Hunter x Hunter(2011)'s Anime is ending, Naruto is being said to end "soon" and Bleach is slowly entering it's final stages. Once it's all said and done, this will be giving One Piece the glory of being the one that still stands, but in modern society, there will always be differences in opinions, so there will always be those who will be liking something than others just for that sole purpose. What series do you think will replace those that are soon to end? How much do you think that the Shounen world will change?

Big Three is just a western term referring to Naruto, Bleach, One Piece. No show is going to replace them because the wording "big three" is literally referring to the 3 specific shows.

In Japan there is no such thing as the "big three" It's basically One Piece and every other anime/manga miles below.

If you're talking about main stream Shounen's that will hit the western market in the future then I don't know. Clearly as of now HxH, Gintama, Hitman Reborn, Fairy Tail, Toriko aren't appealing to the western audience and hasn't made a fraction of impact to western viewers as much as the "big three". And I doubt Anime itself will ever be as big as It was for the western world back in 2000-2007. Anime only ever got so big in the western world because back then America looked at Japan for their entertainment and surprising was the boon of the Anime industry when Dragon ball z hit the market. Therefore we got exposed to Anime from watching tv when Anime was aired on Cartoon network. Now in 2014 that's not the case anymore. Kids aren't exposed to Anime anymore. Only our generation, us in our 16-30s are mostly the Anime community because we were exposed to Anime when we were young. Now kids aren't being exposed to Anime so they cannot even start.

what I'm saying is the "big three" and Anime itself won't be big here in the western world anymore. When you were 10 years old you were watching Pokemon, Dragon ball z, Yu-gi-oh. now a days kids right now are watching Adventure time.

basically the "big three" only happened because of "Luck" and unless something happens Anime most likely won't ever be mainstream in the west again and if that doesn't happen you cannot expect another "big three"
Aug 25, 2014 4:48 AM

Mar 2014
they will finish as the kings of anime (in america)
Aug 25, 2014 5:40 AM

Dec 2012
You mean, the future "after" the big three? Nothing to worry about. I am sure that Shounen Jump has piles of crap like PSYREN to replace them.

And One Piece and HxH are not ending, so ...

Hypothetically, a chance to adapt or animate a good shounen source still exists, so ...
Aug 25, 2014 5:50 AM

Mar 2014
Psyren?

Lol wut.
Aug 25, 2014 6:41 AM

May 2013
The big 3 died out when the Bleach anime ended. As they much as they would like to, Hunter X Hunter nor Fairy Tail could ever hope to take it's place, much as they would like to do so.
Aug 25, 2014 6:55 AM

Mar 2014
Well One Piece is still there, and hopefully HxH will have another series in a few years (if there won't be any other long hiatuses).
Aug 25, 2014 6:56 AM

Dec 2013
^ so whats the Big 3 now?
in my country, we keep saying its OP, Naruto and Bleach
But I and my friends also know that theres only OP left after Naruto ends, making theres no Big 3 anymore ...
Aug 25, 2014 7:02 AM

Aug 2014
never watched them, so it doesn't bother me. Maybe they start with a new anime and that becomes the next big anime.
Aug 25, 2014 7:35 AM

Apr 2011
There will be something big enough to replace Bleach and Naruto but One Piece will still being on forever until Oda gets bored of it which likely wont happen.
Aug 25, 2014 8:17 AM

Apr 2010
Thread locked

Please keep all the discussion about the big three in this thread http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1159865.
Discussion about this subject tends to get out of hand very fast so we prefer to keep it in one thread which makes things easier on both users and mods.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

10 by Citrone39 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 42 minutes ago

9 by Kenzolo-folk »»
16 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

19 by IKKIsama »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 5 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.