Forum Settings
Forums

Getting help when you didn't want/ask for it.

New
Aug 23, 2014 11:53 AM

Aug 2012
Haven't made a thread since... well basically since that discussion on trolling. Sigh. Finally got irritated enough about something to make a thread about it.
=================

So, just recently (more like 10 minutes ago) I ran into a situation where I needed help from a specific person, and while waiting for his answer, some other guy decides to guy decides to "help" by suggesting unrelated ways to "improve" my experience.

So, being the normal person that gets solicited, I politely try and explain my lack of interest. I ain't in the right circumstances to be upgrading or improving anything, nor did I even want his help.

Check back today and surprise! He wants to know why, took the additional step of walking me through the how, and is even telling me where. And here I am not sure how to turn him down anymore and bitching about it on MAL.

So, I want to ask MAL a few things:

Are you one of these people?
Why do you think you/they keep trying to help when it's unwanted?
How the hell do you turn these people down without looking like a dick?

Ghostwhite bonus since I forgot to to it last time. This happened on MAL of all places, with me asking for tech support. Ugh, I hope no one seriously stalks me to find out what I'm talking about. Seriously, go away and do something else. Like watch anime.
Aug 23, 2014 12:11 PM

Mar 2013
I don't go out of my way to help people, nor would I care enough to be so persistent with follow up questions... if somebody wants your help, they'll come to you, you shouldn't force it on them.

Anyway, I'll say you brought this on yourself by being an attention whore that everyone wants to please and be buddies with.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 23, 2014 12:13 PM

Jul 2012
this haapened to me just yesterda.

i asked a VERY simple question from someone, "do you know where that video is"
should have bee:
"shit, sorry, nopes"
"Yah right here"or evem
"let me look quick"

but no, i got an hour+ long rant on how hulu must haved moved it b/c if Robin Williams material. This from a man who thinks yahoo "took away" his email b/c he doesn't even know how to access it. (dear dad, i made you a book of passwords - siee? i just pulled up your email). In fact he doesn't even understand when when signing up for a service, he maybe actually NEED that emil OR pass when hi comp crshes one day. i can't wait!

point being: was looking for a simple link. not an hour+ rant overt nomthing!!!!
Aug 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2009

Personally, I have never denied any help or at least the attempt at it.

In my mind, they might keep trying because they haven't been told clearly enough that their help is unwanted. Besides, many potential helpers lose interest after a while if no one responds back.

If I were you, I would tell the person directly that I wouldn't want his or her help. A simple, impersonal and direct approach is the best one imho.
I guess you aren't allowed to use the ignore feature for users because of your mod status, however, in my opinion, you should be able to either resolve it in private/person or ignore it entirely and wait until the other one loses interests. That's still 2 out of 3 options (the 3rd one being an ignore function) left which came to mind.
Aug 23, 2014 12:18 PM

Aug 2012
just be a dick, melly
Aug 23, 2014 12:19 PM
Jun 2014
I was just searching through a bunch of forums on how to get Maya's Alkaline Mistress head in borderlands 2. Some turd sad something like, I use to have that head but I sold it. Wtf? That comment was not helpful in any way. Why comment if you don't know how to get it
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Aug 23, 2014 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
You already tried to tell him that you're not interested so just tell him "shut your mouth please"
Aug 23, 2014 12:28 PM

Jun 2008
Don't remember it happening to me. I don't usually go around asking for help anyway. And when I do, it's usually to a specific person privately. If I do end up asking in public, then I will expect all the help I can get. Unless they go too overboard. But I've not that happen.
Aug 23, 2014 12:32 PM

Aug 2013
they have good intentions but it just gets annoying.
Aug 23, 2014 12:34 PM

Aug 2013
I tend to stop if asked

Or I ask if I can help to begin with

You get them to stop by ignoring them
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Aug 23, 2014 1:15 PM

Oct 2012
i swear i asked this once but yeah i would tell them to stop
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1245723
UTSANOMIKOAug 23, 2014 6:57 PM
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 23, 2014 1:26 PM
Jul 2014
MellowJello said:
Ghostwhite bonus since I forgot to to it last time. This happened on MAL of all places, with me asking for tech support. Ugh, I hope no one seriously stalks me to find out what I'm talking about. Seriously, go away and do something else. Like watch anime.

Hehehehe......
Edit: I tried but eventually succumbed to laziness.
Sloth-Aug 23, 2014 1:47 PM
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 23, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2014
I have no problem with turning people down like a dick. Naturally I try to be polite about it first, but if they can't take a hint then being a dick is a good option.
Aug 23, 2014 2:04 PM

Apr 2012
I don't help people unless they ask me for it.

Aug 23, 2014 2:35 PM

Jan 2014
I'm here to help Mellow. Just give me a call.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 23, 2014 3:57 PM

Jul 2012
I usually look interested and continue with what I am doing, if someone offers advice I might say oh that's a great tip, but I already use it. I am one of those people that try to help other people, and well people are jerks to me about it.

RedRoseFring said:
I'm here to help Mellow. Just give me a call.

Aug 23, 2014 5:27 PM
Jan 2014
Usually people like that who try to help or "force" their help on you are the ones who do it to feel better with themselves, the majority of course.
If somehow someone just stumbles and tries to help me without me even asking I'll just tell the person to fuck off. Rude yes but it works like a charm.
Aug 23, 2014 5:28 PM

Apr 2013
There are some rude, unsocial motherfuckers on this site.

I accept help whenever I can get it. Unless I know what I'm doing.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 23, 2014 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
I'm lazy as fuck, so if somebody wants to do the work for me while I get the rewards, let the dumb bastard do it.
Aug 23, 2014 5:51 PM
Aug 2010
ask your questions privately if you don't want others to answer. you win by not receiving unrequested replies and the chat room wins by not getting useless, exclusive messages. win-win.

and please don't blame people for replying to public queries. if anything, it's your fault for posting your private question publicly.

Aug 23, 2014 5:53 PM

Sep 2011
mclovinballz said:
I'm lazy as fuck, so if somebody wants to do the work for me while I get the rewards, let the dumb bastard do it.

mmmmmm this :]

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Aug 23, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
"I don't want/need your help."
Aug 23, 2014 6:40 PM

Aug 2012
lpf said:
ask your questions privately if you don't want others to answer. you win by not receiving unrequested replies and the chat room wins by not getting useless, exclusive messages. win-win.

and please don't blame people for replying to public queries. if anything, it's your fault for posting your private question publicly.
To be fair, anyone could've helped me. This was a public "ask support questions here" type thing. I just happened to be helped in a way I didn't want.

ReaperCreeper said:
Easy on paper, hard in practice.

People get too offended easily...
Aug 23, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2011
MellowJello said:

ReaperCreeper said:
Easy on paper, hard in practice.

People get too offended easily...
"How dare you be capable on your own!"
Aug 23, 2014 7:29 PM

May 2013
Just explain to them that someone else is helping you and that their help is unneeded and unnecessary. You're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.
Sep 4, 2014 8:10 PM
Mar 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Just explain to them that someone else is helping you and that their help is unneeded and unnecessary. You're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.
Usually if it's a just a casual friend or stranger that would be enough. Sometimes you might have to repeat yourself in a firmer tone but they'll usually listen to you.

It's not so easy though when it is someone really close to you like a family member though. This is especially because they can be very stubborn and I feel bad for refusing their help so many times after they insist over and over again.
Sep 4, 2014 10:29 PM

May 2010
"Thanks you for your interest in helping me, and while your suggestions might provide me some benefit, I'm looking to resolve my specific problem in a very specific manner, and I have no immediate intentions to employ other possible solutions at this time."
Sep 4, 2014 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
Probably because he/she wants special treatment from you in one way or another, and by 'helping' you he thinks he'll get that. Maybe out of jealously cause they would like you to ask them for help instead of said other person depending on the situation. Most likey something somewhere along those lines
Sep 5, 2014 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
Only going to help if they asked for it.
And I don't mind getting help from other people as long as they don't make me feel/look stupid in front of other people. I'm dumb enough to use a rice cooker.
Sep 5, 2014 12:56 AM

Jul 2012
I intentionally try to help whoever with whatever, even if they don't ask for it. I don't see the issue with it, and honestly if you take issue with people trying to help you when their help isn't helpful or wanted you should just tell them straight up. You don't need to tell them to "screw off" or anything, but just politely explain that you aren't interested and were specifically looking for a specific person's answer on the subject. As for why the person is pushing, it might be the way you responded to him. I don't know his circumstances, but I figure that saying I'm not interested in a certain way might sound weird or like rejection to some people. In any case, like I said, just explain that you were looking for a specific person's response. Its no big deal and if he takes issue by it its his own fault.
Sep 5, 2014 1:52 AM

Oct 2009
Maybe, but I usually just drop a few info or link and leave.

Maybe because they want to be helpful, maybe they do that to repent for their sins, maybe they were hitting on you, maybe they were forced by the malevolent god to help at least one people everyday for the rest of their lives, maybe- who knows?

You have to be a dick, that's how to get point across to overtly helpful people.

I hope my answer helps you.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 5, 2014 2:02 AM

May 2012
I never give any help unless I'm asking. I can't take hints either so you have to specifically tell me "I need help" for me to help you, but when someone needs help I go out of my way to do everything I can.

On the other side, I like to receive help always when I ask, and sometimes when I realize I don't ask for it, but I still need it.
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Sep 5, 2014 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
If someone is having some kinda personal issue, I'm not going to butt-in, unless I'm presented with one of two scenarios:

1.) The person is alone, and no one else seems to care while they sit/stand there and cry.
2.) The person is being openly ridiculed by others, at this point I'll jump in and tell them to fuck off.

If someone looks confused, or lost, I will OFFER help, instead of just leaving them there not knowing what to do.

If someone drops something, or a stack of something, I will instantly drop to the floor and begin helping with whatever was dropped.

So yeah, I'm a helper, but it depends on the situation. I rarely force my help one someone, unless it's something like the last scenario I mentioned, in which case, it'd be seriously rude to just sit there and watch them pick their crap up.
Oct 23, 2014 11:53 PM

Oct 2012
Where have you been this is kind of serious... leaving without reason?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 9 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
24 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

1 by KitsuFrost »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.