Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 17, 2017 7:32 AM

Mar 2016
Pretty strong overall, but that ending is kind of fucked. Haruka's attitude to Karasu left a bad taste in my mouth with Yuu basically living in the shadow of his older self from another dimension. I also think the (meta)physics of this story can be read either literally or metaphorically, metaphorically it's more interesting and the message is clearer Literally, the message is muddled. Also, for all the daily-life scenes and character development we get between the children, it'd have been nice to see an episode-length epilogue
syncrogazerApr 17, 2017 7:43 AM
Apr 30, 2017 10:39 PM

Apr 2017
Such a frustrating ending...

Atari shouting, "I won't let the future happen!" ... Good luck with that bro!

Noein shouldn't really have disappeared at the end. Noein's self-recognition should be enough to "establish" him (see Decartes). Also, Yuu and Karasu were very narrow-minded to reject Noein as one of them. In an infinitely dividing system of dimensions, there should be an infinite number of distinct futures. Among these futures, there will be ones in which Yuu does forget about Haruka, ones in which Yuu also dies, ones in which Yuu remembers Haruka, ones in which he becomes like Noein, and ones in which he becomes like Karasu. Yuu will go on to become ALL possible future Yuus, not just the ones he wants to. That is what an increasing multiverse implies. That is part of the fundamental premise of this series. I have little sympathy for characters who are deluded by their emotions.

Also, falling out of a car during an accident is MUCH more dangerous than staying in the car during an accident. That is one of the main reasons we wear seatbelts.
May 14, 2017 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
The ending was kind iffy,the way all the timelines were prevented from becoming Shangri-La and Noein disappearing due to Yuu refusing to become him felt too easy/simple imo.

The first half was great,the second half dropped in quality a little bit due to some lacking episodes but it eventually picked back up,the ending didn't really satisfy me honestly so keeping this at a 7.5 instead of a 8/10.
May 27, 2017 3:48 AM
Feb 2016
Will from what i saw the story is very good
And the ending was reasonable since there is nothing can be done by anyone except yuu and haruka ... But what happen in lakrema and the past time line ... What they did ... How did they helped haruka .. that is iam confused from ....
A very good show i think i'll watch again if i could spare some time in the future

I give it 9/10 for the story
Jul 20, 2017 4:27 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I feel like I am the 1% that didn't enjoy the anime in this thread. xD...

There were things here and there that bothered me and it all added up to something mediocre. Did anyone not feel creeped out by Yuu's mom's sudden change in personality? That made me cringe. The quantum mumbo jumbo confused me even more.

Also got annoyed with this repetitive story of one soldier going down to kick Karasu's butt. Each of those soldiers keep saying "Oh this world is an illusion, Haruka is an illusion!"
Then Karasu would reply with "I gotta protect Haruka!"
And then Karasu would win and they would all become friends and they either die or stay in this world like nothing happened.

And I didn't feel anything with Yuu's love for Haruka, despite it being the main influence in this anime. Most of the time he was either depressed with his grades or hating on his future self. I saw barely any compassion or care towards her. I'm pretty sure someone has a sadder story than he does. That person could have been a better Noein.
Apr 21, 2018 11:36 AM

Nov 2009
The story/idea is amazing but the execution is very lacking. The ending was pretty abrupt and unsatisfying.

Disappointing because with such a strong start I thought this series would be one of my all-time faves...but alas.
May 6, 2018 12:06 PM

Jan 2010
'Twas a fun story with quite a few twists, but I feel that the show could have been fleshed out a lot more. Noein felt underwhelming, despite being a show about the fate of the multiverse. The scale of the conflict is unimaginably immense, but the most that was shown was Earth, the alternate future of Earth, and Shangri La. I felt like there was an opportunity to really go universal scale, or to somehow visually show what infinite dimensions look like, but as is it felt like a relatively middling show with a lot of big ideas. The fight scenes are fluid and dynamic, even despite of the drops in art detail during those scenes. The ideas are fun to bounce around and ponder about, especially since the character of Yu was presented as both hero and villain in multiple forms. There were the pieces here for something really, really mind bending, but I think it fell short not by doing anything wrong, but by not doing enough. Really wanted to see this show push itself further.
May 14, 2018 6:00 AM

Dec 2015
Episode: ?

5/5

Overall:
A poignant friendship story untertwined with a grandiose sci-fi plot about parallele worlds and time-travel. This offers an interesting and effective mix of grand and personal scales.
The design is pretty and the animation good even if you considere some flaws in certain episodes. The battle scenes are very stylish and impressives despite the extensive use of CGI during them.
Direction-wise, it is pretty good and has a certain style too (a double edge quality:you'll notice a questionable extensive usage of "whirlwind camera" shots for example).

Score: 9/10
I waited for a long time to watch it (saw the announcement trailer back in the days then had to wait 3 years for external reasons) but it was more than worth it.
Feb 21, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2008
After rewatching I have to say I don't like this anime as much as I used to, I find more problems than i did when first seeing it a decade ago. Character development was lacking really beyond Haruka and Yuu with too much whining all around. L'Cryma (sp?) was very underdeveloped and I think that the scientists could have been cut completely, found them to be a waste of time. Even Haruka's father wasn't given much to do despite the hype he was given.

I suppose I'll give a 7 though, drop from the original 8, was decent enough if nothing spectacular. Won't need to see again though.
Mar 1, 2019 10:37 PM
Oct 2017
Honestly, while I really liked this anime a few things bothered me about it. Towards the end of the series and even in this episode, a few things don't properly get wrapped up or answered like if Haruka's Mother and Father have that final call or if Haruka sees Karasu like they said they would see each other in 15 years. Not to mention when everyone is going back to the future Kosagi just doesn't get a scene when disappearing, and Atori's way of going out kinda cheeses me too because I would like to see his big brother relationship further expand with present or future Miho. To add onto that, Yuu has a father in this series but he's never shown and from my knowledge only mentioned twice. From Yuu's family life it would make sense if his father was more involved with his school choices and how his mother acts, but I guess not.

Also hearing the characters say quantum in almost every other sentence gets a little draining and confusing, maybe it was only the subs that had this. I would have to watch the dub to find out.

I do love the characters, however. The reason I gave this a higher rating than what I would have is mostly because they're really interesting and likable, I found I got attached to them easily.

This show is worth watching in my opinion despite the few loose strings, they're only a few details that I am getting high strung over.
Mar 1, 2019 11:27 PM

Dec 2015
@LxveMachine "if Haruka sees Karasu like they said they would see each other in 15 years. "
I don't have a player to check right now but I think I remember that it was about Yû reaching Karasu's age in about 15 years.

The japanese "quantum" was used many, many, many times.
Mar 8, 2019 8:43 AM

Jan 2018
Someone knows why miho is blind in lacrima??
Jan 15, 2020 11:35 AM
Nov 2019
So despite all the quantum science stuff that I couldn't understand and The reason why Karasu and the Other Soldiers from L'cryma have powers never being explained and also some other stuff that wasn't Explained either ( That cryptic Oldman ), they still Gave me Characters that I cared For And A Story That Kept Me Hooked Which was Enough.

Before I started Watching This I was Kind Of Scared because Everyone Kept Saying it was One of those Anime's that Doesn't give Clear Answers to the Things that Happen and Wants The Viewers To make Theory's Instead ( That Gave me some Rahxephon Flashbacks which I Didn't Like ), But In The End It wasn't that Complicated and had enough substance.

My main Complaints Are that I felt that it Dragged a bit In the Slice of Life Parts And the Anime could've benefited from having an Epilogue episode, For me this Is a 8/10.
Nov 14, 2021 7:16 AM

Jun 2015
This series definitely felt too long for its core concept and the execution did little in its favor. I mostly got through it due to expectations of it reaching any interesting point, but alas, that never seemed to be the case.

The blandness and how uninteresting all the "fighting" scenes were was already a cause of skepticism, yet that wasn't the only thing that felt pointless or excessively reiterative by the end.

The most out there thing the show attempts is seemingly making a connection between several cases of alienation of youth and the "recognition" aspect. But none of what I could discern really makes up for the jumbled mess of the bigger picture nor how unengaging and unmemorable the overall delivery is.
Dec 18, 2021 9:55 PM
Apr 2014
This show would have made for a solid 12 episode anime, but there was so much that just didn't need to be part of the story. it seemed like it wanted to talk about youth and adulthood but that never really amounted to anything in the series. the scientists didn't really need to exist in the series at all. I'm still confused whether it was their device or the dragon torque Noein needed to converge dimensions. overall I didn't hate it, probably should give it a 6/10 but after last POS I watched this seemed great so it gets a 7.
Dec 20, 2021 6:26 AM

Apr 2020
It's good but it drags for too long to the point of being annoying. 6/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jan 22, 2023 9:11 AM

Nov 2009
No comments in 2022, but the first one in 2023 from me.
Overall it's good. The ending feels nice.
And the Russian church in the final shot looks fabulous.
Apr 4, 2023 10:42 PM
Mar 2016
First, addressing a few questions I've seen in the thread:

1) The Lacrima council wasn't entirely important. It existed to be a parallel to AbCom, and was likely made up of them and world leaders. The vast majority of them were dead (empty chairs), and one of them was a doll.

2) Atori, Tobi, and the other knights were also from that dimension. They just grew up in different countries other than Japan.

3) The knights get their powers because their cells were somehow given extra quantum flexibility, so they could theoretically morph their bodies into anything provided they had enough energy. It was apparently an experiment to create a super soldier.

4) Yuu's dad abandoned their family after the divorce because his mom was crazy. He doesn't contact either of them anymore.

5) Like most science explanations, after establishing the premise it quickly gets lost in jargon and technobabble. Don't worry if you can't really follow it. They overcomplicate the simple parts of the explanation to make it seem more complex, and the rest was never really supposed to hold up to actual science.

6) Noein had already assimilated all of the Yuus that became lost in their madness and despair. So apparently after Yuu decides not to become that, there can't be another dimension where it happens. At least for a while because Noein doesn't completely die. Honestly even by the show's logic it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever. Must be an extra firm conviction.

At least those are the justifications the show gives. Not saying they're great ones. I'll talk more about my thoughts in the next post. I'm still collecting them and analyzing how I feel about this anime.
Apr 4, 2023 11:54 PM
Mar 2016
I rate shows based on enjoyment, and my instinct is to give this an 8/10. I really liked many things about this anime, but at the same time I have many gripes. I see some people saying this could have been shortened by a lot. While I understand where they're coming from; I actually think the opposite. I wish it was significantly longer.

Starting with the main relationship... Haruka is quite cute. She's strong and spunky, and you can't help but root for her. Sadly this aspect of the show really drags its feet, despite Yuu realizing his feelings halfway through. There's basically no further development after that. It really hurts Yuu's character.

A lot of shows have couples where one person primarily does the saving, but the other person usually repays the favor a few times or at least tries to do so. It's not really Yuu's fault, since he's just a regular kid, but this dynamic forever cucks him to his future self. He rushes in bravely, gets beaten down immediately, and has to look to Karasu for help. I kept waiting for opportunities for Yuu to man up and show Haruka just how much he cared about her, but they never really panned out. It's also quite strange for Haruka to realize how much Karasu loves her, but not put two and two together about the present Yuu.

They really don't explore Yuu's jealousy very much. That element is dropped rather quickly. Despite consistent messages to Yuu to get stronger and protect Haruka himself, he never grows in that direction. There's also the constant threat of Karasu unraveling, but that never materializes either. I was really hoping Karasu would die at some point, leaving Yuu to pick up the mantle. Their relationship doesn't really have much promise.

It was strange how quickly Yuu's mother had a change of heart, and particularly how that realization occurred after echoing the sentiments she'd already expressed many times. I don't think this should have even happened. I think her abuse should have continued escalating until he permanently left the house or hurt her. She could have even started calling him Emi and talking to her dead sister.

It feels like a waste for Yuu to choose the Tokyo route anyway. I understand that he wanted to better himself and was looking for his purpose in life, but realizing his feelings for Haruka should have given him that meaning and direction. It would have been way more satisfying if he stayed, and the extra distance only increases the odds that Haruka won't get over Karasu.

Ai and Fujiwara were also cute. I honestly liked their ship more, and I was disappointed we didn't get to see more of it. At least they opened up to each other and held hands in the end. We didn't get to see enough of Lacrima or the other dragon knights either. Honestly, I didn't care about the crippled guy or the throwaway characters, but I really wanted more scenes with Kasugu and the future Ai, Miho, and Fujiwara. More threads that died before they had a chance to go anywhere. I don't think we needed much more time with present Miho, but I definitely wanted scenes with Yukie. It would have been funny to see Fujiwara follow her around like a puppy while Ai fumes.

The plotline with Haruka's dad was the worst one. I almost feel like the plot had gotten so convoluted by the end, that the writers just forgot certain elements. They completely ignored the threats against his family in the Magic Circle experiment. I would have much preferred if her father was the Time Drifter, and didn't even work in the real world anymore. If the experiment had already happened and failed, we could have also gotten interesting developments on why Haruka's childhood missed a few years, why she couldn't remember her grandmother, and why her friend in Tokyo didn't remember her at all. They didn't explain why her parents' divorced either. Uchida ended up completely irrelevant in the show too.

The show definitely could have gone deeper into the parallel worlds concept and shown all sorts of possibilities. Different characters getting together. Different outcomes from the present timeline's events. Even a teaser where Haruka and Karasu get together.

This show could easily have cut some of the more repetitive bits, focused a bit more on Uchida's investigation, and added in a lot more character development. At least 6 more episodes would have been nice. We didn't get to see how the dimensions were "fixed." Lacrima seemed doomed regardless, since so many people already died. At the very least we needed an entire episode dedicated as an epilogue.

The technobabble got really annoying after a while. It felt like an excuse to use the word "quantum" every 5 seconds, but at no point did they ever even use the branching path analogy. Most of the explanations for things didn't make sense. Haruka got her powers because the universe chose her to be the "Absolute Observer," but also every human is an "Absolute Observer." Despite that Lacrima lost the ability to observe itself without Haruka, although it already didn't beforehand (it had a dedicated team of Astronaut observers), and used a computer made of human bodies. At first I thought they were all Harukas from different dimensions, but there was only the one. But they had hunted many Harukas down before. If they all shared similar pasts and powers, why did this one change Karasu? If this dimension was a simulation, does that mean Lacrima gave her those powers? Why didn't they give them to someone else. But it's also not a simulation because it already existed before they even had the chance to observe it.

How did Noein get his powers and giant machines in a world without anyone else? How exactly does Yuu defeat Noein with a promise? 15 years is a long time. Why can't one of the infinite other Yuus become Noein? Why isn't there a parallel world where Noein lives? If Noein dies because no humans can observe him, then why are remnants of his consciousness still there? Why didn't Noein just kill Haruka when his plan failed and continue slowly merging dimensions the way he did before? Surely he'd eventually be powerful enough to perform similar feats. How can his touch instantly kill things except in the last episode? There's plot armor, and then there's just forgetting all of the rules and world-building you did before.

I really did love this show, but I am upset Yuu didn't get a chance to shine. I am convinced that the writers got ahead of their skis and had no idea what to do around 18 episodes in. The end feels very rushed. Weakened characters are taking on armies of robots they nearly died fighting 3 on 1. They don't actually try to stop the experiment or shoot the bad guy. It's like they just needed an ending, and they needed certain things to happen for the one they chose, so things just happened.

If I had a magic wand, this show would have completely changed course after the fight with Fukuro. Yuu would have stepped up and shown brightly in Haruka's eyes. Ai's couple would have blossomed. The investigation would have led to the father's failed experiment that resulted in Haruka being the first quantum being. And Yuu would have defeated Noein by hugging Haruka tightly and declaring that no dimension had only suffering if she was in it because her very existence made him happy. He would have recalled the smile he fell in love with and swore to do everything in his power to thwart the bad futures. Yuu would callupon the power of every parallel Karasu to kick Noein's butt. A kiss would awaken the Dragon Torque's true power, the dimensions would be restored, and ShangriLa would disappear. And we'd get a nice epilogue showing all of the characters happy. Maybe even Uchida letting the cop have a pity date, or the remnants of the Haruka's father brushing her mother's cheek alongside a loving whisper.
DarkdaxterApr 5, 2023 12:10 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e Episode 11 Discussion

zao - Jun 24, 2008

12 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Feb 6, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e Episode 7 Discussion

HaiAlwaysHungry - Mar 14, 2009

9 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Feb 5, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e Episode 4 Discussion

zao - Jun 24, 2008

11 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Feb 4, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e Episode 12 Discussion

Drkness19 - Apr 15, 2009

10 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 24, 2023 3:59 AM

Poll: » Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e Episode 8 Discussion

zao - Jun 24, 2008

12 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 23, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.