Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 21, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2014
I've never watched a sports anime ever, but I see some get very good reviews and high praise. Since I love sports in real life, I'm very curious and interested in trying a sports anime out finally.

My favorite sports are easily Baseball/American Football, but I also enjoy the tour de France, and Hockey. I'm neutral to basketball really, just can't watch full games. I don't know if this will help in recommending me a series, but I figured I'd let you all know my favorites in case it does help.

Anyway, I tried Free! last summer, and thought the art/animation was fantastic, but it didn't really grab me. Although, I'm pretty sure I only watched the first 3-4 episodes.

TolzenAug 21, 2014 7:35 PM
Aug 21, 2014 7:23 PM
Jan 2009
Racing anime is the best imo

IGPX
Oban Star Racers
Redline
Aug 21, 2014 7:23 PM

Jun 2014
boxing - Hajime no Ippo
Soccer - Area no Kishi, Hungry wild striker
Football - eyeshield 21
baseball - cross game
Aug 21, 2014 7:24 PM

Jan 2008
Haikyuu and Kuroko's Basketball are by IG, so you can expect quality animation if that's more to your interest.

Not sure which football you mean but if you mean american football, then Eyeshield 21 is pretty fun, though expect your typical superpower sport anime.

If you want a more mature and thought provoking sports, then try One Outs. It's baseball.
Aug 21, 2014 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
Cross Game - probably one of the best intro sports anime that you can watch especially if you are a fan of rom-com SOLs.
Aug 21, 2014 7:30 PM

Jan 2014
One Outs
Kuroko no Basket
Slam Dunk
Hajime no Ippo
Ookiku Furikabutte
Diamond of Ace
Eyeshield 21
Haikyuu

Aug 21, 2014 7:40 PM

Jan 2014
deanzel said:
Cross Game - probably one of the best intro sports anime that you can watch especially if you are a fan of rom-com SOLs.

Thanks this looks really good since I do enjoy the rom-com/SOL elements a lot.

blessofcurse said:

I just want to ask, is there a romance element at all in Area no Kishi?

Paul said:
If you want a more mature and thought provoking sports, then try One Outs. It's baseball.

One Outs looks really interesting. Surprised and interested to see it being recommended for those who enjoyed Death Note as well. Is this suspenseful? Just wondering due to the comparisons. Looks promising though for sure.
Aug 21, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2008
DofyOne said:
Outs looks really interesting. Surprised and interested to see it being recommended for those who enjoyed Death Note as well. Is this suspenseful? Just wondering due to the comparisons. Looks promising though for sure.

It's a battle of wits anime but on the baseball field. If you liked Death Note and enjoy sports anime, you'll probably enjoy it for sure.
Aug 21, 2014 7:46 PM

Nov 2009
Major and Hajime no Ippo
-☾✩
Aug 21, 2014 7:49 PM

Jun 2014
Dofy said:
deanzel said:

blessofcurse said:

I just want to ask, is there a romance element at all in Area no Kishi?

Paul said:

One Outs looks really interesting. Surprised and interested to see it being recommended for those who enjoyed Death Note as well. Is this suspenseful? Just wondering due to the comparisons. Looks promising though for sure.

yeah, it have
Aug 21, 2014 8:28 PM

Aug 2014
Y has no one mentioned Yowamushi Pedal? Biking anime
Aug 21, 2014 8:50 PM

May 2012
After you finish Cross Game, give Chihayafuru a try. Sure karuta isn't a sport like baseball, but shows about card and board games have dramatic elements similar to sports anime. Chihayafuru also has a strong slice-of-life feel and a bit of romance which becomes more pronounced by the end of season two.
Aug 21, 2014 8:56 PM

Jan 2014
Thanks a lot for all of your rec's so far. I already have a bunch to choose from, and it's going to be hard. One Outs really interests me, but I also really enjoy SOL/Romance elements involved (be it minor or major) as well, so Area no Kishi looks pretty appealing to, and Cross Game (though I need to get over the cover art too be honest).
TolzenAug 21, 2014 9:13 PM
Aug 21, 2014 8:58 PM

Aug 2014
Giant Killing is a pretty good soccer anime that u can give a go.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/7661/Giant_Killing

Also, as mentioned before, One Outs is also a good one.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5040/One_Outs

Haven't watched that many sports-related anime to be honest, but those are the ones I enjoyed.
Aug 21, 2014 8:59 PM

Jun 2014
initial d - it has romance and a badass driver
Aug 21, 2014 9:25 PM
Feb 2014
I watch lots of sports animes. Check my page, i have lots of them scored.

Just to name a few that havent been named here:

capeta
slam dunk
captain tsubasa
prince of tennis
Aug 21, 2014 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't seen it yet but I heard Ping Pong The Animation was quite good.
From what others have said about, there's more to it than just the sport itself but a unique and beautiful story. Sorry if this didn't really help but I thought you would enjoy this based on your list ^^
Aug 21, 2014 10:38 PM

Apr 2013
Dofy said:
deanzel said:

It is one of my absolute favorite anime in general. I'd describe it as a romantic-comedy SOL with a major emphasis on baseball. The characters are great and the love develops gradually but well through the show. Also, Cross Game has probably one of the best opening episodes that I've ever seen so you should just check it out to get a very good feel for what is to come. Can't go wrong with Mitsuru Adachi imo.
Aug 21, 2014 11:04 PM

Jul 2014
Diamond No Ace and Free
Aug 22, 2014 12:51 AM

Jun 2014
Hajime no ippo, Prince Of Tennis and Kuroko No Basket.
Aug 22, 2014 12:59 AM

Jun 2012
MAJOR is the absolute best sports anime. Almost anyone who disagrees haven't seen it (for some reason that's actually a thing), or just really dislikes baseball. Though Major isn't even just about baseball. Its Goro's life from childhood to adult. If you give it a try I promise it will become one of your all time favorites.
ShepardSR2Aug 22, 2014 1:36 AM

More topics from this board

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

StrawberryBlxxd - Apr 16

12 by boguda »»
6 minutes ago

» Best mystery/detective series I haven't seen yet?

Curlybrace101 - Apr 4

10 by boguda »»
11 minutes ago

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

10 by boguda »»
16 minutes ago

» if anyone is into some messed up manhwas read I Tamed My Ex-Husband's Mad Dog

Rijouku - Apr 1

2 by Rijouku »»
2 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.