Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 21, 2014 10:23 PM

Dec 2011
Probably going to learn their mistakes.. but it'll probably still suck in it's own way lol.
~Elii Hates
Aug 21, 2014 11:05 PM

Feb 2008
Meh, unless some awsome ass directx comes out. I probably won't give a shit. W7 working swell, DX11 so few games use it. So as i'm chilling, whats the damn point as a PC gamer?
Aug 21, 2014 11:12 PM

Oct 2013
I'm guessing it's gonna be a little bit better than 8 since they know how much feedbacks says that they prefer 7 but only a little still think everyone's gonna put 7 over 9.
Aug 21, 2014 11:27 PM

Feb 2008
R4vel said:
I'm guessing it's gonna be a little bit better than 8 since they know how much feedbacks says that they prefer 7 but only a little still think everyone's gonna put 7 over 9.

Which is the problem too. Gamers is the ones they should be gearing for. I mean, alot of major companies just made the leap to W7 not long ago(past year, Nationwide did), after they've been using xp for years.

I mean, it's just crap generally. Will the new Windows be useful or not?(most likely not), but as a gamer i doubt it will.

It's a damn coconut in a potato peeler, i'd dig me some sweet potato or a regular potato. But a coconut, i fucking doubt it. I try it....but still no fucking go probably....
SephorAug 21, 2014 11:30 PM
Aug 22, 2014 2:10 AM
May 2009
They should focus on making 8 Better then release another windows that could be a failure.
Aug 22, 2014 7:44 AM

Mar 2014
It sure as hell had better be better than Windows 8.
Aug 30, 2014 3:58 PM

May 2013
I've used Windows XP , 7, 8 and 8.1 and I feel like Windows 8 and 8.1 are my most prefered Windows verisions. I've read a bit about the concept of Windows 9 and I feel as if it will be worse than Windows 8/8.1. Accordingly to what I read, Windows 9 is supposed to bring the traditional start button back, which I'm not fond of, since I really like the new start screen. It is supposed to also allow modern applications to run in their own Window, which doesn't matter to me as long as I can still use snap.
ポリスマンファック
Aug 30, 2014 3:59 PM

Jun 2014
Nothing can be worse than the shit that was Windows 8.

Aug 30, 2014 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
8.1 > 7 > 8
Aug 30, 2014 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
Villa-Lobos said:
8.1 > 7 > 8

Haven't seen 8.1 in action. What was changed about it?

Aug 30, 2014 4:37 PM
Mar 2011
llook lke i have to buld another laptop hell i have tons of spare parts so yes but all also wit to up gade un till the new high end Graphics card is relses and will buy 4 to begin with its called futiure proofin imo
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 30, 2014 4:45 PM

Jan 2009
Xari said:
Villa-Lobos said:
8.1 > 7 > 8

Haven't seen 8.1 in action. What was changed about it?

Well,

* you can set up to boot it into desktop mode from the settings in the task bar. This is done automatically if you directly install from a 8.1 update 1 ISO/DVD on a normal desktop computer.
Task bar settings also allow options to disable the hot corners.

* start button isn't hidden anymore, so when you right click on it, you'll see the Windows button + X context menu. "Shutting down" has been added and there's also a shut down button in the 8.1 update 1 start screen

* 8.1 changes the version of the kernel from NT 6.2 to NT 6.3 while 7 is NT 6.1, Vista NT 6.0 and XP NT 5.1.

* task bar in modern UI and "X" button for modern UI apps (though you still have to close those apps in the task-manager if you want to completely close them)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/whats-new
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/features#personalize=startscreen

Personally, 8 = or even > 8.1 for me, since the controls are the same for me and because there are some things I kind of like better in 8:
- I don't need an extra tool to make the design and grouping in the Windows Explorer look like Windows 7 again
- "Aero Glass for Windows 8" has a watermark on 8.1(, but not on 8) if you don't donate
- my computer doesn't automatically log me in on 8.1 anymore, even though I don't use any passwords

both are better for me than Windows 7, because of the new task-manager, the new, not-so-retarded copying dialogue, the easy accessible system shortcuts from the Windows button + X menu, the option to even scan drives/partition with an OS installed for errors without having to restart Windows in the Explorer and because I don't actually miss full Windows 7 only third party themes, but can be content to get the Windows 7 design to over 95% back.

edit: fixed first suggestion point in "things I kind of like better in 8" than in 8.1 to make it appear more logical. Of course, I've meant that in 8.1 you'll need another tool (OldNewExplorer; links for the mentioned programs are in my posting under #12 in this thread) compared to 8 to have the traditional grouping back again.
NoboruAug 31, 2014 7:25 AM
Aug 30, 2014 9:57 PM

Jul 2014
Microsoft homepage said nothing.

I'd be happy if it is going to be released soon tho. I'm thinking about purchasing a laptop some time during the following school year. If it can have a brand new windows with it, great.

Win8 was alright once you got used to it. I'm glad that they brought back more of the win7 aesthetics in 8.1, tho.
Aug 30, 2014 10:00 PM

Jun 2013

Strongest Windows
SchwarzitgiestAug 30, 2014 10:03 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2014 10:09 PM

Feb 2011
worse than 8 for sure lol
Aug 30, 2014 10:18 PM

Feb 2013
Schwarzitgiest said:

Strongest Windows
If Cirno says, then it must be true.

You know what's sad is that 8-tan has an abysmal amount of fanart in comparison to other OS-tan.

2k-tan is best OS girl tho.
Aug 31, 2014 4:26 AM

Mar 2014
It will probably be better. This comes from one who'd never want to degrade to Windows 7 anyways and one who is used to the Metro/Modern UI.
Aug 31, 2014 1:02 PM

Jul 2014
mallobaude said:
I'm kind of conflicted on whether it'll be good or bad. On one side there's the clearly tablet focused design they went with on windows 8. But on the other side they have shown that they do listen to feedback, showing in the 8.1 update and their xbox division who did a 180 on some of their policies.

I guess time will tell, but one thing's for sure, I won't be installing windows 9 on day one.

Rumors strongly suggest that Windows 9 will enable/disable features based on system specs. For example, if ur system is not touch screen based, you wont have the Metro UI.

I strongly suggest that everyone trys the beta and give feedback. Its the best way MS can properly fix the OS and provide the best experience on day 1 when its on store shelves.

Also Ive heard, it supposedly a free upgrade for 7/8/8.1 users.
Sep 12, 2014 1:05 AM

Jan 2009
microsoft brought back the start menu as they promise, here is a video showing windows 9 in action

http://youtu.be/--wgAsHWNRE

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/12/6139255/windows-9-video-demo-features-start-menu

Mod Edit: Merged duplicate threads together. This was the first post in second thread.
rodacSep 12, 2014 3:30 PM
Sep 12, 2014 2:00 AM

Jul 2014
What windows 8 should have been.
Sep 12, 2014 2:38 AM
May 2009
I want the PC Version not the have the metro apps and stuff, just clutter to me.
Has anyone ever used them?
Sep 12, 2014 2:47 AM

May 2012
I know they are trying to promote the metro apps, but why not just offer it for touchscreen pcs?

I do not want metro on my Desktop pc and i cannot be too hard to recognize "oh, theres a touchscreen user -> activate metro mode"
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Sep 12, 2014 3:03 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty cool!
Sep 12, 2014 3:52 AM

Aug 2012
Meh, i will still use W7 till 2020.
Sep 12, 2014 8:09 AM

Jan 2009
1:48
what a fail. Even in Windows 9 you can't properly arrange those tiles. Well, that's just a sign to not bother with it. xD

While the new start menu still looks a bit plain and seems to take too much space even without pinned apps, it's still better than the start screen from Windows 8 imho.

I find the new design of the calculator ugly. Also, I know that that's just a technical preview and many things might be changed later on if not with third party applications, but seriously, they could've re-added aero effects instead of even reducing the window frames.

Well, let's see what else Windows 9 has to offer. I'm curious about the technical improvements.
Sep 12, 2014 8:25 AM
Jun 2014
Horrible fucking horrible. Seriously Desktop PC doesn't need fucking Metro. That is not innovative that is pure stupidity.
Windows 8.1 should have gotten that start menu and Windows 9 should be something new.
LashLethal said:
Who knows? Perhaps the devil is the good guy. Aaaaaaaaah

Lucifer is the good guy.
Sep 12, 2014 8:33 AM

Aug 2014
I might try it out once it's released since it looks kinda interesting. I doubt I'd be using many or any of the metro apps though.

I'm sure there will be heaps of other changes once it's released, but pretty sure they're gonna keep the metro apps for desktops and laptops, whether they have touch screen or not.
Sep 12, 2014 9:05 AM

Jul 2013
Looiks the same as windows 8 .

I want to see windows 7 back with some improve features and not just remove the start button and say it is windows 8
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2014 9:14 AM

May 2010
Given that it's a "leak" it's very possible this is fake.

If Microsoft ever acknowledges it as real I'll believe it. Although this is what 8 should have been.
Sep 12, 2014 9:27 AM

Mar 2012
The leaked (probably fake though) menu is pretty nice, I'm looking forward to use it. Hoping that the performance is even better than Windows 8 =D Like turning my pc on within 4 seconds with SSD XD jk
Sep 12, 2014 9:35 AM

May 2014
b1GZZ said:
The leaked (probably fake though) menu is pretty nice, I'm looking forward to use it. Hoping that the performance is even better than Windows 8 =D Like turning my pc on within 4 seconds with SSD XD jk
jk? so you mean you don't like 4 second boot times?
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 12, 2014 11:10 AM

Aug 2009
MrAwesome2014 said:
Meh, i will still use W7 till 2020.
Sep 12, 2014 11:15 AM

Feb 2011
Meh, I will still use Windows 8.1 in 2020 and longer if I have my way, especially if they're going this route and bringing back the old Start menu crap. The people complaining about Metro just don't want to evolve. The UI in Windows 8/8.1 is very efficient and clean. People just don't want to adjust.
Sep 12, 2014 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
I will also most-likely keep on using 8.1, but for other reasons.

If it doesn't have any technical advantages over 8.1 like 8 over 7 with integrated USB 3.0 support even during installation, a better copy dialog + task-manager, better scaling, integrated AV, and the Windows button + X menu, I don't see any point in installing it.

Windows 9 might be interesting for future builds if it were to have integrated USB 3.1 support, if games were to come out for DirectX12 and Virtual Desktops were to be implemented.
Hopefully, it will be less buggy and with more options than Desktops or Dexpot.
Sep 12, 2014 11:50 AM

May 2009
Gamagori said:
MrAwesome2014 said:
Meh, i will still use Vista till 2020.
Fixed.

The fuck?
Sep 12, 2014 11:51 AM

Jan 2009
Gamagori said:
MrAwesome2014 said:
Meh, i will still use Vista till 2020.
Fixed.

I hope without internet connection after April 11, 2017, then:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
Sep 12, 2014 12:31 PM

Apr 2014
Windows 8 improved a lot of things windows 7 had flaws in. Boot times, RAM utilization, Direct X optimizations. Granted, it was shit when it first released due to a lot of bugs, but since then, and since 8.1 it actually have been an improvement over 7.

It seems the only reason why people hate it is for the metro, which isn't a bother if you can navigate a computer... without the start menu crutch. But I can understand that.
Sep 12, 2014 12:55 PM

Mar 2014
It looks great. Day one pirate.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 13, 2014 3:34 AM

Nov 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing more videos of Windows 9 in action.
It always seems like every other OS is great and this time around it's looking good so far.

I've played around with Windows 8.1 and while it has improved quite a lot from 8 there's still more to be worked on. A lot of the students and faculty I work with at my job still have a lot of trouble adjusting to Windows 8 and it's getting to the point where apparently there has been so many complaints we have plans to switch all the PCs back to Windows 7.

Bringing back the Start menu is a huge plus as that's one of the #1 problems a lot of the people I work with have understanding(Big problems coming from the littlest of details).

Still running on Vista, but I'll be more than happy getting Windows 9 on my new rig if it turns out well.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 13, 2014 3:56 AM

Jun 2008
For the love off...i just bought Window 8.1 this summer and now they are putting Windows 9? They are getting ridiculous. This life circles are too short. They are trying to hard to cash in.
Fuck them, i ain't changing for at least another 5 years, they are not gonna make me their little consumer zombie. An OS should have at least 5 years life cycle unless it's a real failure like Vista and Millennium.
Sep 13, 2014 4:45 AM

May 2012
I use Mac OS X and windows 7 on a daily basis.

I hope it will get some of the Win7 functionality back and be as pretty as Mac OSX.

Atm, Win7 is just far more attractive for me than Windows 8 without having to rely on 3rd party programs to get rid of the metro shit (sorry..)
Sep 13, 2014 11:21 AM

Jan 2009
Multiple desktops! That's a feature to look forward to hide my (loli-)Pr0n on a virtual desktop and switching back to "work mode" like a boss when someone is nearing me:D
Sep 13, 2014 11:58 AM

May 2012
Monad said:
For the love off...i just bought Window 8.1 this summer and now they are putting Windows 9? They are getting ridiculous. This life circles are too short. They are trying to hard to cash in.
Fuck them, i ain't changing for at least another 5 years, they are not gonna make me their little consumer zombie. An OS should have at least 5 years life cycle unless it's a real failure like Vista and Millennium.

You actually BOUGHT a windows license?
Just ignore that and download Windows 9. You can activate it for 180 days and then wait until there is a permanent activator out.
Sep 13, 2014 12:12 PM

Jun 2012
So far the most promising feature for me is virtual desktops. But i don't think that the developer preview will be like this build. It MIGHT be a build from a while.
Sep 13, 2014 12:50 PM

Mar 2012
OnlyTemporary said:
b1GZZ said:
jk? so you mean you don't like 4 second boot times?

Nop, I mean the opposite, I want my pc to take just 4 seconds to boot, mine isn't all that fast, maybe around 10 seconds, I want it to boot almost instantly xD.

That multi-desktop function isn't all that good, it's "windows", why do we need multiple desktop screens? It will maybe help programmers, designers and that kind of people who need a bunch of windows opened at the same time, but it won't be of any use for a "normal user".

Monad said:

Nope. Windows 8 wasn't all that good too, people complained A LOT about the lose of the normal start menu, after all the complaints they made Windows 8.1, which is as good as 8 but just with a the start menu. They're just improving their operating system, trying to please their customers as they should do, it's not trying "hard to cash in", like Bill Gates needs more money than he already has *facepalm*.

Noboru said:
hide my (loli-)Pr0n on a virtual desktop and switching back to "work mode" like a boss when someone is nearing me:D

ALT+F4 is easier than changing to a multi-desktop though.

I'm looking forward for the multi-desktops, I will make good use of them. I just hope that it doesn't lower the operating system's performance, if the performance is worse than Windows 8 I prefer keeping it.
The start menu is amazing, they will keep the metro Apps and the "classic" menu at the same time, pretty cool imo.
Sep 13, 2014 1:54 PM

Jan 2009
b1GZZ said:
ALT+F4 is easier than changing to a multi-desktop though.

Why should I close it and waste time and effort to re-open it again later on when I can just hide it?
And about the normal use: until I tried it out for myself, I hadn't had a use for it, too.
Even when using multiple monitors, there might be situations when the displays alone aren't enough and you'd want to have additional space with another set of programs/run actions.
For example, you could have your Anime on the first desktop on one screen + the browser with MAL and other stuff on the other screen. Then a new virtual desktop behind with pr0n, then a new desktop with other stuff whereas you don't want to overlay a new browser window over your browser or over your Anime and last but not least, the totally save neutral/work-mode desktop.
Possible applications for using multiple desktops are already there. You only have to find them.

I'm looking forward for the multi-desktops, I will make good use of them. I just hope that it doesn't lower the operating system's performance, if the performance is worse than Windows 8 I prefer keeping it.

You can test Desktops and/or Dexpot.
I don't have any performance problems using it, but I also neither have that bad computer systems, nor do I use any resource-hungry applications to view a difference.
NoboruSep 13, 2014 2:10 PM
Sep 13, 2014 1:58 PM

Mar 2013
In my personal opinion I thought windows 7 was the best version of windows. I just found all of the previous just so slow in comparison and windows 8 is just content in shoving "features" that I don't want and/or care about down my throat.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Sep 14, 2014 8:37 AM

Mar 2012
Noboru said:
You can test Desktops and/or Dexpot.
I don't have any performance problems using it, but I also neither have that bad computer systems, nor do I use any resource-hungry applications to view a difference.

I might give it a try, thanks.
Oh, and I was talking about OS performance overall, didn't mean PC performance. Even if you have the best PC in the world, if your software performance is bad then it's a waste to use it, it's just limiting your hardware, I prefer having better performance in both than losing "a bit" of it, if you know what I mean.

mattbenz99 said:
In my personal opinion I thought windows 7 was the best version of windows. I just found all of the previous just so slow in comparison and windows 8 is just content in shoving "features" that I don't want and/or care about down my throat.

I actually still use Win7 in my main PC but Win8 has definitely better performance compared to all the previous Windows OS. Win7 may be the easiest to use because everyone is used to it's design but once you get used to Win8 and it's features, you will see that it is even easier than in Win7.
Sep 14, 2014 10:30 AM

Jan 2009
b1GZZ said:
I might give it a try, thanks.

You're welcome and I'd recommend to either download the portable version for Dexpot or to take care what you agree with during installation.
While I agree with you that better optimized software or a better optimized operating system is of course better, my point was, that you can easily get more than enough performance to have some comfort and that the differences are more than negligible for casual users.

b1GZZ said:

I actually still use Win7 in my main PC but Win8 has definitely better performance compared to all the previous Windows OS. Win7 may be the easiest to use because everyone is used to it's design but once you get used to Win8 and it's features, you will see that it is even easier than in Win7.

Having used both Win7 and 8/8.1, I haven't felt any noteworthy difference.
Also, you can change the design back to W7 if you prefer that one:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1255135&show=0#msg33735033

edit: before I forget: I've used alt+tab many times before using virtual desktops.
NoboruSep 14, 2014 10:35 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime List Randomizer

pofesso - Apr 12

2 by pofesso »»
8 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - 29 minutes ago

1 by kenzozo »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you want to quit smoking?

French-Japanese - 2 hours ago

0 by French-Japanese »»
2 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

24 by French-Japanese »»
2 hours ago

» Error 404 on Windows 9!

French-Japanese - 5 hours ago

2 by French-Japanese »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.