Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 21, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
I'm glad that retard old dude died... but, now it makes me wonder what the young ghoul hunter will do... will he continue to fight ghouls as revenge for that old guy, or will he realize that both humans and ghouls are in the same place?
Aug 21, 2014 2:49 PM

Apr 2014
Kaneki pathetic....Even worse than Shinji? LOL

Aug 21, 2014 2:50 PM

Feb 2014
I'm soo happy that Mado finally died.
Aug 21, 2014 2:51 PM

Mar 2014
Finally Mado is dead! He was annoying throughout the anime but I guess I feel bad for his family even if he was a messed up dude. Kaneki got his ass kicked pretty badly till the end and finally fought for real. A pretty good episode even though there were some animation problems here and there.
Aug 21, 2014 2:54 PM
Aug 2014
And that ring????!!!!!!!!! :0
Aug 21, 2014 3:04 PM
May 2014
WOW! KANEKI STOPPED BEING A USELESS PIECE OF SHIT! about halfway through the episode...

Seriously though, I was so happy when he released his kagune and started fighting but still getting his "good guy" side in!

Can't wait for next week ^_^
Aug 21, 2014 3:16 PM
Apr 2014
Caeca said:
Kaneki vs Amon - they skipped the part where Amon said he thought Kaneki was an ordinary person since he was so weak. Might not have been important in the grand scheme of things, but it would've made Kaneki look a little less pathetic imo. Did Kaneki really get beaten up that badly in the manga?

No he didn't get beaten up that badly in the manga. In the anime they made him a bit more weaker for some reason. Also it seems to me the dialogue for Kaneki in the manga is a bit different than the anime. The dialogue felt more of what a Shonen protagonist may say in the anime, which felt weird to me.

Though as a standalone the anime is good.
Aug 21, 2014 3:16 PM

Nov 2007
I can't believe they killed the geezer......they are offing all my fave characters wtf.
He was so good at mental torture...i will miss him.
I wonder if Amon will now be Mado 2 or an alley.

Uhm anyway,very good episode. The previous one kinda bored me but this was really nice.
Aug 21, 2014 3:23 PM

Jan 2013
Ridku said:
How did Amon and Mado knew where Rabbit and Hinami were? I don't get it did Touka set a trap through that phone call? or was it just a coincidence that Hinami went there and Mado found them? please I am confused

Well, it wasn't explained very well. Ghouls have heightened sense of smell, so Mado basically used Hinami's mother's head as bait (I assume it was the head.) It doesn't explain how they knew she had a particularly keen sense of smell even for a ghoul, but maybe they didn't know. They knew Rabbit was going to be in the area, because she was trying to lure them there to fight. Then Hinami's scream pretty much alerted all concerned parties that someone found the bait.
Aug 21, 2014 3:26 PM

Jul 2008
Definitely kicked it into high gear with this episode...
Aug 21, 2014 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
Also, someone didn't think this through:

Aug 21, 2014 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Mado put Hinami's mom's head into the bag.

We finally can see Kaneki in action.

Lol @ the end scene after the credit, Mado went to hell was a lol.
Aug 21, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2011
Black_wind said:
I can't believe they killed the geezer......they are offing all my fave characters wtf.
He was so good at mental torture...i will miss him.
I wonder if Amon will now be Mado 2 or an alley.

Uhm anyway,very good episode. The previous one kinda bored me but this was really nice.

I miss him too. Amon doesn't seem nearly as strong.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Aug 21, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2014
AquaWateria said:
Caeca said:
Kaneki vs Amon - they skipped the part where Amon said he thought Kaneki was an ordinary person since he was so weak. Might not have been important in the grand scheme of things, but it would've made Kaneki look a little less pathetic imo. Did Kaneki really get beaten up that badly in the manga?

No he didn't get beaten up that badly in the manga. In the anime they made him a bit more weaker for some reason. Also it seems to me the dialogue for Kaneki in the manga is a bit different than the anime. The dialogue felt more of what a Shonen protagonist may say in the anime, which felt weird to me.

Though as a standalone the anime is good.

Just a thought..This arc would have even made much more sense if it was presented like it was in the Manga.
Because in here Kaneki still hasn't complete control over his urges and makes sense to be this arc instead of Gourmet being first.
Also Pierrot can do their work Awesome if they took it seriously..Wish it was the same for the other episodes.It was Half assed.

Aug 21, 2014 3:45 PM

Jul 2013
awesome episode... finally we saw kaneki's kagune in action
i don't agree with those who say he's a wimp... i like to think he just doesn't want to give up on his beliefs
art of ED beautiful once again
Aug 21, 2014 3:54 PM

Apr 2014
retepeters said:
awesome episode... finally we saw kaneki's kagune in action
i don't agree with those who say he's a wimp... i like to think he just doesn't want to give up on his beliefs
art of ED beautiful once again

They just don't understand what's Kaneki is experiencing right now.He just recently turned into a Ghoul.
Oh wait..It doesn't make sense because they switched the Arcs around Lmfao.It would make sense if Dove arcs comes first because Kaneki is still fresh from being a human turned ghoul and pretty understandable why He's struggling with his hunger.
I also don't like how Kaneki is acting as if Rize is inside him(Which isn't) its gonna give some misunderstanding to New anime viewers because Rize is just a fiction of his imagination that's Acting as..I won't spoil anything.
Awesome episode though Still can't comprehend the need to switch around the arcs.Its still basically the same. but with a different order of events.

Aug 21, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2012
Man, they don't even show an amputated hand...
Aug 21, 2014 4:05 PM

May 2013
Well, as an anime-only viewer, this was my favorite episode so far. Great action sequences and music. I will definitely check the manga once this is over.
Aug 21, 2014 4:28 PM

Feb 2008
Why do they have to make Kaneki far more pathetic in the anime?? That's my biggest gripe with this episode, he didn't take those beatings in the manga and it felt really unnecessary and cliche the way it happened in the anime.
Aug 21, 2014 4:36 PM
Apr 2014
yaHzee said:
Why do they have to make Kaneki far more pathetic in the anime?? That's my biggest gripe with this episode, he didn't take those beatings in the manga and it felt really unnecessary and cliche the way it happened in the anime.

Well since Studio Pierrot adapts a lot of Shonen series like Bleach, Naruto, and etc. They made this series into a Shonen battle manga which it isn't. Thus why your seeing these unnecessary content and a lot of skipped material.
Aug 21, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2013
Good fight scenes, characters are questioning their resolve for the imminent character development, and seeing Yomo shrug off that point blank impale like it was nothing.

R.I.P Nutty Professor you were a interesting antagonist.
Aug 21, 2014 5:08 PM
Jul 2013
Intense!

God Hinami is a bamf
Aug 21, 2014 5:21 PM

Apr 2014
Animation was top quality, hated that they once again removed plot details (Amon was supposed to think that kaneki was a human at first but they changed it to kaneki getting hit for home runs over and over????) Studio parrot at its finest. Also right hand being chopped is way too gory right???? compared to anything from corpse party or mirrai nikki. Just look at that natural black light that happened to be covering mado. Whoever is directing this needs to get their head out of their ass and quit with the censoring.
Aug 21, 2014 5:29 PM

Mar 2014
This felt like a last episode even though it wasn't.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 21, 2014 5:45 PM

Aug 2014
The way that Kaneki was getting beat up was pissing me off. Thank god he did some cool stuff after that.
The censoring is still crap.
And poor Hinami :(

Xway101 ~By me~
Aug 21, 2014 6:20 PM

Apr 2014
Kaneki was more Calculative in the manga and him being Pathetic here is Overkill.
The inner monologue was awesome,They definitely need more of that for "Chair" Scene to have much more impact to the viewers.
Honestly I really don't give a S*** if they rush it or End it in a cliff hanger as long as the Most important Character development is done right and true to its sources.

Aug 21, 2014 6:25 PM

Jul 2009
pretty good episode. i didnt notice too much difference from the manga... i think amon thought ken was a normal human being pretending to be a ghoul, i think they omitted that. yeah, pretty good.
Aug 21, 2014 6:43 PM

Aug 2011
So tired of the unfair power balance between protagonists and antagonists.....But finally Mado the disgusting prick died. Why is Kaneki the only one who can't control his ghoul shit? Touka seems to have no problem?? Also annoying hoW Kaneki doesn't wanna hurt or kill anyone..
Aug 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Sep 2008
StrawberryRain said:
This felt like a last episode even though it wasn't.

LOL yeah they could totally end it right here.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Aug 21, 2014 6:53 PM

Sep 2013
Good thing Mado died, just like he killed Hinam's mother for no reason, Touka also has the right to kill him for no reason :(

ninjastarforcex said:
i dont want season 2 because enough with butchering tokyo ghoul

What a fan folks, would rather have no anime just because they changed 2 small arcs around and TV censorship (even thou it'll be in Blu Ray)
Aug 21, 2014 6:56 PM

Mar 2014
Pangeaa said:
So tired of the unfair power balance between protagonists and antagonists.....But finally Mado the disgusting prick died. Why is Kaneki the only one who can't control his ghoul shit? Touka seems to have no problem?? Also annoying hoW Kaneki doesn't wanna hurt or kill anyone..

If he doesn't hurt or kill that's fine.. In the manga he still beat Amon and gave him time to escape.. If he wanted to kill him it would've been providing the Doves more fuel for their already existing hatred of ghouls.. I saw nothing about his actions that were annoying
Aug 21, 2014 6:57 PM

Apr 2011
I celebrated every ounce of blood that evil, sadistic fuck Mado bled this episode, and was glad he was finally slain. I give him no slack, I don't care what his tragic backstory was. The way he murdered Hinami's parents and taunted her with their remains, the guy deserved to die in a much slower and agonizing manner. Maybe eaten by Gourmand limb by limb. Was even kinda pissed when his partner was mourning his death; someone that evil doesn't deserve to have a single tear shed for them, by anyone. At least he went to Hell in the end.

I was just sad that Hinami passed up the opportunity to kill Mado herself. With that badass power she's got, she could have made it nice and slow and painful, too. She is just a little girl though, so maybe it's good she's not as sadistic as I would've been.

Plus, Kaneki finally did something! I guess he wasn't able to manifest his powers because he'd been resisting his hunger up until he took a bite out of the one-eyed man's shoulder. After that he was pretty damn effective, so effective he had to try really hard not to kill the Dove.

I'm betting this draws more attention from the Doves on the local ghouls, though. Evil and worthless of an asshole as Mado was, he had allies who are going to want revenge.
Blind_GuardianAug 21, 2014 7:01 PM
Aug 21, 2014 6:59 PM

Jul 2014
If it wasn't already stated that there's an ever growing grey area between ghouls and humans, this episode explicitly states that (via Kaneki's internal dialogue). Although I would say that they statement was to explicit to the point of being dumbed down for the audience. My brain kinda hurts thinking about the ghoul-on-human struggle and trying to find a middle ground, there maybe isn't any, but It would certainly break the "chain of grief" pointed out by Kaneki. Finally, I like the motif (which is true) that sometimes the only way we distinguish good from bad is our point of view.
"I only studied a little bit of history and I have learned there are two current thoughts in human history. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When the war begins, it is on the pretext of the former type of people and it justify the latter when the war ends"
Aug 21, 2014 7:09 PM
Aug 2014
Hmm I think I prefer the manga's version of Kaneki's fight over the adaption. I mean just look at the badassness of kaneki at his pubescent stage. Yes he becomes even more badass later..

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/toukyou_kushu/c025/18.html.
Aug 21, 2014 7:18 PM

Oct 2013
Oh man that was the best episode so far. A good amount of action, drama, suspense, blood, and epicness. Censoring still ruined some parts though, like honestly can we not see a guy with a handless arm? Sheesh.

Dat Mado death too :O I am still gonna read the manga though when I get the chance!
Mr_HayabusaAug 21, 2014 7:21 PM
Aug 21, 2014 7:21 PM

Jun 2009
jdinh said:
Hmm I think I prefer the manga's version of Kaneki's fight over the adaption. I mean just look at the badassness of kaneki at his pubescent stage. Yes he becomes even more badass later..

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/toukyou_kushu/c025/18.html.

Thanks for the link. I was wanting to show anime only viewers how Kaneki's "revelation" was handled, but I wasn't sure what chapter it was in.

Not sure what it is, but I really like this panel: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/toukyou_kushu/c025/15.html
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 21, 2014 7:28 PM

Aug 2014
Blind_Guardian said:
I celebrated every ounce of blood that evil, sadistic fuck Mado bled this episode, and was glad he was finally slain. I give him no slack, I don't care what his tragic backstory was. The way he murdered Hinami's parents and taunted her with their remains, the guy deserved to die in a much slower and agonizing manner. Maybe eaten by Gourmand limb by limb. Was even kinda pissed when his partner was mourning his death; someone that evil doesn't deserve to have a single tear shed for them, by anyone. At least he went to Hell in the end.

I was just sad that Hinami passed up the opportunity to kill Mado herself. With that badass power she's got, she could have made it nice and slow and painful, too. She is just a little girl though, so maybe it's good she's not as sadistic as I would've been.

Plus, Kaneki finally did something! I guess he wasn't able to manifest his powers because he'd been resisting his hunger up until he took a bite out of the one-eyed man's shoulder. After that he was pretty damn effective, so effective he had to try really hard not to kill the Dove.

I'm betting this draws more attention from the Doves on the local ghouls, though. Evil and worthless of an asshole as Mado was, he had allies who are going to want revenge.

Yeah I agree. But I really like hinami for not killing him. It just shows how much of a "human" she is despite being a ghoul.

Xway101 ~By me~
Aug 21, 2014 7:32 PM

Aug 2010
im hating kaneki even more.

just once please be a badass

turn into that grey haired dude already
Aug 21, 2014 7:41 PM

Jun 2014
iWishTifaWasReal said:

Hahaha *from a manga readers perspective*
Aug 21, 2014 7:41 PM

Sep 2012
Didn't expect Mado to go down so early. Welp we all know Amon-kun is coming back with a vengeance.
Aug 21, 2014 7:47 PM

Jan 2011
Shiyu said:
From someone who hasn't read the manga, I really liked this episode.

me too still don't think Ken has earned the right to wear such a badass mask yet though.

ending short was both funny and sad at the same time
Aug 21, 2014 7:48 PM

Oct 2013
Please tell me this is going to have a second season lol can u even imagine what'll happen if they do kanekis metamorphisis (cough) in the next few episodes
Aug 21, 2014 7:50 PM

Aug 2014
Why oh why did Mado's death feel so weird. I mean...I was never a fan of the guy so feeling something for the way he died or the fact he was married or the fact that Touka and Amon reacted so strongly to his death. The censoring ((he got his legs cut off right?)) combined with everything else...I couldn't even be happy that he died it was just too strange of a scene overall.

Looking forward to saint Kaneki unite humans and ghouls.
Aug 21, 2014 7:52 PM

Jun 2014
Best episode so far.
Aug 21, 2014 7:52 PM

Sep 2008
Blind_Guardian said:

I don't know about that lol. I think he's much more justified in his actions than say, Touka, who killed random people in a blind act of vengeance. If you knew his backstory you wouldn't say what you did, I think.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Aug 21, 2014 8:06 PM

Sep 2013
iWishTifaWasReal said:

Please be a badass?

Hahhahahaha - Manga reader
Aug 21, 2014 8:24 PM

May 2012
At least the action didn't suck as much as the previous episodes.

5.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Aug 21, 2014 8:28 PM

Dec 2011
I thought we would get some more of Kaneki's power... but he is still kind of pathetic... it was interesting to see that there are other one eyed ghouls there.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2014 8:28 PM

Dec 2013
I haven't read the manga yet (though I plan to), so I actually really enjoyed this episode. I've heard of all the censorship they've been doing, and that kind of disappoints me because censorship is something that I really can't stand. Regardless, since I have no personal experience with anything else, I thought this was a nice episode. I do kind of wish Kaneki fought a little more.

I've seen some comments about the point that Kaneki is supposed to be the gateway between humans and ghouls and how it probably went over the heads of most anime-only people, but I understood it just fine myself. Perhaps not everyone will, I don't know.

Also, Amon's scream at the end gave me chills.
Aug 21, 2014 8:32 PM
Jul 2014
The irony portrayed within the human and ghoul's side was great. Need to know Mado's backstory. He never seemed to have a motive, until now. Also it looks like Amon is going to be motivated for revenge. His scream at the end was important, it showed that even the doves have feelings and arent just heartless b&#tards. But its sad since, ghouls are the same.
HuaXueAug 21, 2014 8:36 PM
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

843 by Fauxquse »»
Apr 4, 11:47 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

430 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 7, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

319 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 6, 10:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.