Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2009 9:14 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice little story from before the start of the show and the animation is actually quite good. I like to think it happened right after they parted with Nami.

6/10

Take note, this was released BEFORE episode 1 of One Piece.
Oct 27, 2009 7:13 AM

May 2008
Yeah, the animation was pretty good and I also liked the other voice actors. They really wanted to catch the mood to the series.
Nov 10, 2009 10:56 PM

Jan 2009
Did not care for the voice actors, animation or music... Just goes to show you how much better they've gotten.
Nov 18, 2009 5:14 AM

Sep 2008
Hmmm, everything was ok for something that was aired before ep1 ^ ^

The voice actor seemed weird at the beginning with the characters but in the end they were quite ok ^ ^ It's just that I got more used to the other seiyuu's ^ ^

3/5 OVA ^ ^

"Oi, Crab! The one who's gonna be the Pirate King... is ME!!!"

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Feb 9, 2010 6:22 AM
Feb 2009
Nothing special.
I think, better to watch after episode 8.
Mar 26, 2010 10:39 PM

Aug 2009
A fun little adventure, I'm really glad they changed the voice actors to the current ones though ^^

Apr 17, 2010 2:02 AM

May 2008
"Oi, Crab! The one who's gonna be the Pirate King... is ME!!!"

Liked that quote, and I liked the OVA.
Good episode IMO. 4/5
Aug 5, 2010 8:26 AM

Aug 2008
the ending song was quite long :O
nice episode
Oct 15, 2010 3:27 AM

Oct 2008
Oh wow, I'm so glad that they didn't stick with this ova's seiyuus.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Oct 20, 2010 9:53 PM

Mar 2008
This was a nice little distraction. Its the same basic plot of most of the other specials and filler arcs. They meet a character who despises pirates because of a few bad example pirates, they beat the villain, and the character they met earlier decides that not all pirates are bad. Of course the fillers and specials do a better job of carrying out that story though.
Nov 18, 2010 5:35 PM

Jun 2009
It was okay, if anything at least it helped in getting the tv series made. That's definitely a good thing.

That said, 5/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 18, 2010 10:18 PM

Aug 2010
Was nice to see how it all began.
Nov 25, 2010 1:38 AM

Sep 2009
Was glad to see how one piece all started and how what started this great series
alsoo the VA felt really strange but weren't all that bad :)

Feb 7, 2011 3:33 AM
May 2008
wow so weird watching one piece in 1998 lol
Apr 26, 2011 9:05 AM

May 2010
I watched this OVA episode kinda late.. i'm quite impressed with the animation work since this was produced around 1998.. i was a bit off with the voice over but aside from that.. it was good :-)
Aug 27, 2011 3:42 PM

Jul 2010
Wow they sound so different... I don't mind Luffy's seiyuu but what the hell is up with them, why do they insist on using womans to voice him >.< I hate the fact that I know it's a woman and not a guy -_-

I'm really glad they changed Zoro's sieyuu, he doesn't sound as manly as he should with this one. I don't really care about Nami's though..

Nice, I would've def be interested if I were to see this before episode 1 :) 7/10
Aug 19, 2012 9:25 PM

Jul 2011
Luffy sounds like a brat... and he's not stupid-awesome enough in this. :(

Animation bothers me... mainly just Luffy's expressions though.

I'm glad that they changed it for the TV series. I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much (if at all?) if they kept it with this. Luffy's current VA is the best btw. In the first episode, I already really liked Luffy, but in this OVA he didn't really draw me into the show. (In fact he reminded me of Naruto here.)

It was okay.
Oct 16, 2012 4:19 PM

Mar 2008
I'm glad One Piece didn't turn into this.
Nov 14, 2012 7:55 PM
Aug 2010
a bit more 'normal 90s anime' than 'early Oda-style', but I actually love how it looks. the animation flowed really well at times and the artwork was pretty impressive. the animators had a great sense of perspective and shapes moving fluidly around in 3D space which is missing from a lot of modern One Piece stuff. enjoyed the color use too.

I also like how Luffy's reaction to the little girl supposedly 'dying' was very End of Evangelion-like. it's clearly a very '90s-like' OVA.
busterbeamNov 14, 2012 7:59 PM
Dec 1, 2012 3:53 PM

Mar 2012
Back to the bonds. Art is weird here. Really, it wasn't anything special here. Simple story, simple characters. Boring commercial OAV, but it wasn't as bad as with fanservice. 6,5/10
Apr 7, 2013 3:20 PM

Feb 2010
Those VAs were one year to early to get a lifelong job ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 27, 2013 2:04 AM
Aug 2011
Nami's voice is especially grating. I cannot stand it.

On the other hand though...there's WAKAMOTO NORIO.

Man it would have been awesome if Norio had stuck around and been a re-occurring OP character.
Apr 26, 2014 6:34 AM

Jan 2014
As the first animated version of One Piece, one that was supposed
to get people into this show, it is pretty good, though. It contains all
important elements of a good One Piece episode, except maybe for
the animation itself, which is, compared to the TV show, really poor.
But the story, that atmosphere, everything is just fine, of course not
a masterpiece, but a good watch, good introduction for sure ^____^
Sep 14, 2014 5:56 AM

Aug 2012
The story sucked & to think there is a Medaka more annoying than the one in Medaka Box is astounding (at least I liked that Medaka for awhile). I suppose the only thing about the plot I really liked was that the villagers actually took action & weren't just there to be saved. But man, everything else falls into a lot of trappings I hate.

& at the time, it may have been cool to see them use so much from the Orange Town arc but it just felt redundant after seeing said arc so many times (& it's one I never really liked to begin with). Like seriously, they took so much from that arc. Medaka's role mirrors Nami, both hating pirates but growing to like Luffy (also, Luffy helps both of them out from two pirates at the beginning, strikes a "friendship" with them, before finding out there a pirate latter) & playing a vital role in defeating the big bag (whether tying parts of Buggy off or pretending to be decapitated); in both cases Nami leads Luffy to being kidnapped (or well, doing the kidnapping in Orange Town) & frees him later; both of the main villain damage Luffy's hat & upon hearing it's important to him because of Shanks, damages it further; both villains deal primarily in explosive, as well as taking over a town (though, Ganzack was the only to enslave) & perhaps more but that's all I got off the top of my head.

On the other hand, I quite liked the score & the animation had some pretty great moments (at points, I wished the anime had adapted this style for the earlier OP episodes). Had some issues with the art, I don't really feel, along with the animation, lent itself it One Piece's brand of humor (mostly talking about facial expressions here). But regardless, it was nice to see something so patently 90's again. I didn't really mind the different seiyuu's either, they aren't as good as the origi...replacements (?) but still a serviceable cast. & the Straw Hats, were the Straw Hats. Not the funnest they've been to follow, or their most distinct but it was still nice to see them. 5/10.
Oct 12, 2014 11:19 AM

Feb 2014
Hahaha, Zoro's voice actor is the one who voiced Onizuka from GTO, Aoki from Hajime no Ippo and Obito from Naruto: Shippuuden! I thought that was pretty cool. Didn't really like Luffy's voice. Overall I thought the episode was ok.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Feb 24, 2015 8:05 AM

Mar 2013
Well that was boring and a bit confusing.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
May 21, 2015 6:30 AM

Mar 2014
All of the people complaining about the animation in this thread is really bizarre to me.
I think the animation looks leaps and bounds ahead of the TV series, which is honestly to be expected from a standalone OVA.
Of course, I've only watched up to Episode 18, so perhaps the TV's animation gets better later on, but currently the TV series has very standard-style TV animation of that era, while this has very standard OVA animation of the era.
However, OVA animation of the era was typically more detailed than TV...

In any case, the story was somewhat standard, but it's a cool little OVA that was fun to watch and managed to be entertaining.

Also, I might just be crazy, but I didn't notice any difference between the voice actors here and the ones in the main series. XD
::End of Transmission::

May 22, 2015 2:27 AM
Aug 2010
The "ugh, why does it look different, what the FUCK!" reaction in this thread is pretty ridiculous. This is an old, old OVA that was NOT intended as an introduction to the anime series (it wasn't even made by Toei!) but a companion piece to the early manga. I agree that its 90s anime style more reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion would not have been fitting for the ACTUAL anime series, but this is not an adaptation; it's just a one-shot by anime staff with an original story. And given that fact, the art style is great at being an alternate look at One Piece. It's very Eva/Sadamoto-like, and I'm sure Luffy's reaction to the little girl seemingly being decapitated is a direct reference to Shinji freaking out at the aftermath of Asuka's fight in End of Evangelion.

But then you guys are acting as if it ever was, or still IS, in any danger of replacing the current style. It's not, so why not just appreciate the impressive craft that went into this instead of acting as if a one-shot could somehow have any influence on the franchise today?

It's also worth noting that, whether accidentally or not, this actually resembles Oda's 1996 art for Romance Dawn, the One Piece prototype. Back then he was also inspired by that Eva/Nadia look and his drawings had far more of a 90s anime aesthetic. Once again I have no idea if they WANTED to achieve this effect, but I think it's an interesting thing to take note of.

FestinaLente said:
As the first animated version of One Piece, one that was supposed
to get people into this show, it is pretty good, though. It contains all
important elements of a good One Piece episode, except maybe for
the animation itself, which is, compared to the TV show, really poor.
But the story, that atmosphere, everything is just fine, of course not
a masterpiece, but a good watch, good introduction for sure ^____^

Why are you using "animation" to mean "art"? I agree the art is not as good as Oda's style, but the animation is much better than most One Piece animation. http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/14062/animated-character_acting-one_piece-one_piece_defe It's extremely rare to see not just this level of fluidity but also this type of genuinely natural and believable motion in a One Piece project.

vigorousjammer said:
All of the people complaining about the animation in this thread is really bizarre to me.
I think the animation looks leaps and bounds ahead of the TV series, which is honestly to be expected from a standalone OVA.
Of course, I've only watched up to Episode 18, so perhaps the TV's animation gets better later on, but currently the TV series has very standard-style TV animation of that era, while this has very standard OVA animation of the era.
However, OVA animation of the era was typically more detailed than TV...

In any case, the story was somewhat standard, but it's a cool little OVA that was fun to watch and managed to be entertaining.

Also, I might just be crazy, but I didn't notice any difference between the voice actors here and the ones in the main series. XD

No, these people are just using "animation" wrong.
busterbeamMay 22, 2015 2:32 AM
Sep 12, 2015 7:40 PM

Jun 2014
Hell yeah, Wakamoto voicing Ganzack made it worth it.

The ending theme was really catchy as well, if a little dated.
Sep 17, 2015 3:31 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Nothing special.
happy they changed a lot after this one

Jul 11, 2016 6:21 PM

Mar 2015
This special was to help potential viewers to get hyped for the epic anime that One Piece has become today. In light of that, it was a fun watch!

7/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 24, 2016 10:11 AM

Oct 2015
A nice little OVA. And for something made in 1998, it doesn't disappoint ^^
6/10
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Aug 31, 2016 2:02 AM
Jul 2010
Any other animation studio is better than TOEI. Production I.G did a neat job, considering that it's made in 1998.
Everything else is fine, nothing special, but not bad either.
Sep 18, 2016 11:39 AM

Sep 2014
Ok episode. The story is common so nothing extraordinary
Oct 1, 2016 1:20 AM

Jan 2015
This Special was fine and good for a 6/10
I like the background music when Luffy turns things around :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Feb 1, 2017 9:42 AM

Dec 2016
Despite it's obviously old age, the charm of the show is still very much existent

7/10
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 1, 2018 1:31 PM

Feb 2015
This was good considering it aired before the first episode, the voice actors obviously aren't as good as the ones we have now but I feel like they did their job well.
Jan 8, 2019 2:06 PM

Sep 2018
chekrdnickrs said:
This special was to help potential viewers to get hyped for the epic anime that One Piece has become today. In light of that, it was a fun watch!

7/10

No it was not, it was made by a different production company. It possibly might have been produced as a failed pilot though. It was also originally shown as part of a travelling tour of short animations.
KristiwazhereJan 8, 2019 2:12 PM
May 12, 2019 3:07 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
A nostalgic throwback for sure, the animation was a nice refresher from the modern One Piece we have now and the old early Toei.
The characters are strangely the same they were at that point of the story too, great OVA.
Aug 8, 2019 8:57 PM
Nov 2009
First time One Piece gets an animation and Luffy kills the main villain. Bellamy's VA was the original Zoro. Luffy's stretching sound actually sound like rubber. The story was generic but I wouldn't have minded this style for the show tbh. I wonder what the reason was for changing studios to Toei?
Feb 7, 2021 4:06 PM
Oct 2017
Tbh it felt so weird hearing them with differents voice actors !
Nov 17, 2021 3:45 PM
Sep 2010
fits in nicely between episodes 8 and 9 :)
Jan 1, 2022 8:40 PM

Jan 2020
Cool. It was pretty interesting seeing Production IG's early take on One Piece and visuals weren't bad for it's time imo.

I miss the voice actors we were familiar with but this was alright I guess

Mar 22, 2022 10:56 PM
Dec 2016
This was fine. Essentially this was to promote One Piece, so. I mean, it probably did its job back in the day. But it's super outdated now. 5-6/10
May 17, 2022 11:21 PM

Feb 2021
This was so good. Up until this ova and the previous episodes, the ova clearly takes the dub. Smooth and good 90's style animation by Production I.G. was cool.

The different VA for Luffy was bothering me a bit. I didn't hate it but it sure felt off to me.

Really glad that Luffy actually kills the main villain this time rather than just flinging them off after giving them a beating.

May 25, 2022 6:58 PM
Jan 2020
people are too mean to this OVA, likely just because they are too used to the actual show. it was a fun lil time
May 26, 2022 12:38 AM

Jun 2021
I'm very excited to see this ova. I can't wait.
Jun 1, 2022 9:57 AM

Oct 2015
VAs were strange, not what I am used to. Oh well, typical one piece episode. Arrive to an island, liberate from a tyrant and Luffy gets food at the end. We all celebrate, the end. Nami was the MVP though
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 21, 2022 2:51 PM

Nov 2010
Very interesting. So, this is the ep. 0 of One Piece. No wonder the VAs were different. Also, the copy I watched seemed like it was ripped from VHS. It was so nostalgic! 7/10
Jul 22, 2022 8:16 PM

Sep 2015
Came here from the One Piece day live stream, watched all of it, and this was amazing !
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ending Theme

Cooltiviert - Feb 13, 2011

2 by Rocko52 »»
Feb 25, 2016 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.