Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 19, 2014 6:00 PM

Oct 2011
Okay, so I get joked about a lot in the workplace since a lot of them aren't Southern (as in the South of USA) and I was wondering what are some phrases/dialect/words/etc. unique to where you live in the country/world that people wouldn't say or understand elsewhere? Yes, this even includes phrases that make sense in your language, but really wouldn't catch on in the English language.

For example, instead of saying someone "flicked" me or "flicked" a bug off the table, I say "thump."
I got a lot of shit for it actually haha.
I also said something similar to "There's more than one way to skin a cat" but I say "There's more than one way to fry a chicken." I dunno. In the end no one got the way I said it OR the actual saying lol.

What are some things you say that you feel like others wouldn't say or understand in other areas of your country or even the world?
Perhaps you should mention your location when you do!
Discuss pls.
MaiTaiAug 19, 2014 6:22 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 19, 2014 6:04 PM

Jun 2008
*phrases

confused me loads and wasn't sure if i should click the thread
Aug 19, 2014 6:07 PM

Jul 2014
Impossible to translate as those are made-up words but : dicave, chourave, poucave, grayave... French dudes should get it.
~ça vax~

Aug 19, 2014 6:12 PM

Apr 2012
unique word maybe?

"hella". Though I don't use this word much myself

Aug 19, 2014 6:21 PM

Oct 2011
Tachii said:
*phrases

confused me loads and wasn't sure if i should click the thread

gg

Aug 19, 2014 6:24 PM

May 2014
''Pussy on the chain wax''
Aug 19, 2014 6:25 PM

Mar 2013
Azure719 said:

Key and Peele ?
Aug 19, 2014 6:28 PM
Dec 2013
lots of odd slang words in the midlands that people with local accents sometimes use like:

a 'cob' (a bread roll)
'council pop' (water)
'donny' (hand)
a 'piece' (a sandwich)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIqSlt9PXg the 'black country alphabet song' is fun
Aug 19, 2014 6:30 PM

May 2014
KawaiiGod said:
Azure719 said:

Key and Peele ?
No, Monty Python.
Aug 19, 2014 6:30 PM

Mar 2013
Azure719 said:
KawaiiGod said:

Key and Peele ?
No, Monty Python.
tenks
Aug 19, 2014 6:51 PM

Oct 2011
Twerk used to be one down here, but then Miley ruined it.

Aug 19, 2014 6:58 PM

Jul 2013
"Dá carrim não, má". Then they slap you in the face.
Aug 19, 2014 7:11 PM

Jul 2014
If I listed all the phrases unique to the U.S. it would take me an hour or more.
Aug 19, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2009
Pasma is unique word as far as filipino medicine is concerned, it even got a wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasma
Aug 19, 2014 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
It's not necessarily phrases but people around here have strange pronunciations of certain things, or awkward grammar. It's an Upstate New York thing I guess.

- pronouncing a name like "Stewart" like "Stort"
- pronouncing "sandwich" like "sanwich"
- saying "across" like "acrosst" (I never understood this one at all)
- "It don't mean nothin'" instead of "It doesn't mean anything"
- "I ain't done nothin'" instead of "I didn't do anything"

I could go on, but I'd rather not put my head through a wall. I've lived in Upstate NY my entire life and I still hate all that crap.
Aug 19, 2014 7:57 PM

Jul 2012
pop = western NY and who knows where else

boston area used to say = wicked pissa! hehe
Aug 19, 2014 8:01 PM

Jun 2014
Where I'm from, "The Dose" is an STD/VD.

Aug 19, 2014 8:50 PM

Oct 2011
PureBlueSF said:
It's not necessarily phrases but people around here have strange pronunciations of certain things, or awkward grammar. It's an Upstate New York thing I guess.

- pronouncing a name like "Stewart" like "Stort"
- pronouncing "sandwich" like "sanwich"
- saying "across" like "acrosst" (I never understood this one at all)
- "It don't mean nothin'" instead of "It doesn't mean anything"
- "I ain't done nothin'" instead of "I didn't do anything"

I could go on, but I'd rather not put my head through a wall. I've lived in Upstate NY my entire life and I still hate all that crap.

I always thought people blamed double negatives on the south. The more you know.

Aug 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Jun 2014
The aren't really any in my current location, but I used to live in the bay and they basically speak a different language down there.
Aug 19, 2014 9:54 PM

Jul 2014
Depends how broadly you define ''location''

The French spoken in my area is not much different than the French spoken in the rest of Québec. The one local expression I'm aware of is ''Se faire lutter par un char'' for ''Getting hit by a car'' The verb lutter wouldn't be used in that context outside my region, they would use the much more common ''frapper'' instead.

If you mean the differences in beetween Québec french vs European French tough, we could discuss this matter for hundreads of pages XD
Aug 19, 2014 11:16 PM

Jul 2013
I just use more common slang like hella HELLA times. There are also hella more uncommon words: molly whop, hoot, hecka, scraped to name a few.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Aug 19, 2014 11:22 PM

Oct 2013
A lot of dubfucks pronounce pizza as "pisa"

Fuck them, fuck them.

holy fucking shit, I hate them.
Aug 19, 2014 11:39 PM

Dec 2011
I guess howdy? Although I don't hear many people say it.

Aug 20, 2014 12:03 AM

Mar 2011
Package Store, Packy

All I can think of at the moment.
Aug 20, 2014 12:22 AM
Dec 2010
"Lagom", the closest you get in translation is "just right", but if I recall correctly then it's a unique word that only exists in Swedish and Korean(?).
Aug 20, 2014 1:07 AM

Feb 2013
"Finna" meaning going to.
"I'm sleep" meaning boring or ignorant.
"Pound cake" meaning ass.
Aug 20, 2014 7:12 AM

Oct 2011
Caking = Flirting

Aug 20, 2014 7:44 AM

Jul 2014
Stalker-tan said:
"Lagom", the closest you get in translation is "just right", but if I recall correctly then it's a unique word that only exists in Swedish and Korean(?).
I think it's just swedish.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Aug 20, 2014 10:18 AM

Jul 2014
south african

babbelas (bub-buh-luss) – A hangover.

bakkie (buck-ee) – A pick-up truck.

biscuit – In South Africa a cookie is known as a "biscuit". The word is also a term of affection, as in, "Hey, you biscuit".

blooming (blimmin) – A variation on "very", as in, "That new bakkie is blimmin big.

boet (like "book", with a t) – A term of affection, from the Afrikaans for "brother".

braai (br-eye) – An outdoor barbecue, where meat such as steak, chicken and boerewors are cooked, served with pap and bredie.

bru (brew) – A term of affection, shortened from Afrikaans broer, meaning "brother". An example would be, "Hey, my bru, howzit?"

café (kaf-ay, kaff-ee or kayff) – The ubiquitous small neighbourhood convenience store, often found on street corners and stocking cigarettes, cold drinks and newspapers.

china – To most people, China is the world’s most populous country, but to a South African it can mean something entirely different. China means "good friend", as in, "This oke's my china". It's one of the few Cockney rhyming slang words to survive in the country, coming from "china plate" = "mate".

dinges (ding-us) – A thing, thingamabob, whatzit, whatchamacallit or whatsizname, as in, "When is dinges coming around?"

dop (dawp) – An alcoholic drink: "Can I pour you a dop?" It can also mean failure: "I dopped the test."

flog – No whips implied. South Africans use flog to mean "sell", as in "I think it's time I flogged this old car."

graze – Eat.

howzit – A traditional South African greeting that translates roughly as "How are you?", "How are things?", or simply "Hello

is it (as one word: izit) – An expression frequently used in conversation and equivalent to, "Is that so?"

jol (jawl) – A versatile word with many meanings, including "party", "disco", "having fun", or just "thing".

just now – If a South African tells you they will do something "just now", they mean they'll do it in the near future – not immediately, as in, "I'll do the dishes just no

kif – Cool, neat, great or wonderful. From the Arabic kayf, meaning enjoyment or wellbeing.

lekker (lekk-irr with a rolling r) – Nice, good, great, cool or tasty.

oke, ou – A man, similar to "guy" or "bloke". The word "ou" (oh) can be used
interchangeably.

robots – Traffic lights.

rock up – To arrive somewhere unannounced or uninvited. It's the kind of thing friends do: "I was going to go out but then my china rocked up."

sarmie – Sandwich.

Boer - Afrikaans word for farmer

Boerewors (boerie) - spicy South African farmers' sausage

Choon - South African Indian slang for telling someone something, could also be a song

Doss - nap

Hundreds - excellent, good - Hi buddy how are you? I am hundreds

Monkey's wedding - a rain shower when the sun is out

Laaitie (Pronounces as "lighty") - a young person, usually a young male such as a younger brother or son

Larney - fancy / designer

Siff - Used in South African English to discribe disgusting, horrible or ugly - "This milkshake is siff!"

Kak Pron. Kuk, meaning crap/shit - as in "That Boerie is really Kak!"

Doos Pron. Do-is. Afrikaans for 'box"/or cunt - used to decsribe a stupid person (very rude, not to be used in poilte company) referring to a woman's genitalia! As in " Stop being such a complete doos!"

Bankie – Bank bag filled with dope

Blind – Embarrassing

Boot – Trunk

Chop – Moron

Connection – Person (Can be a friend or a vaguely related person)

Dagga (pronounced: ‘duh-ch*-uh’) – Marijuana

Deck – Punch

Fong-Kong – Fake

Full on – Absolutely

Fully – Yes

Goofed – Stoned

Half and half – Half brandy, half coke drink

Ja-nee (pronounced: ‘yaa’ ‘knee-ya’) – Equivalent of ‘I don’t know’ / sure

Johnnie Walker – Someone who doesn’t own a car

Lank – A lot

Pull in! – Come around

Scale – To steal / To jump over

Smaak (prounounced: ‘smaark’) – To like/love

Waai – leave/go
Aug 20, 2014 10:32 AM

Sep 2013
Selaw = Slow
pretty stupid.....
Aug 20, 2014 10:41 AM

Mar 2012
Marving - Starving
Mucky Dees - Mc Donalds

Thats all i can think of atm
Aug 20, 2014 4:27 PM

Aug 2014
"Bah! What a total pussy!"
Aug 20, 2014 4:31 PM

Nov 2012
There either aren't any unique phrases in my location, or I have just not recognized them yet.
Aug 20, 2014 4:47 PM

Oct 2013
In like the few months after the new year in the winter the students at my last college called it the 'suicide season', because every year during that time lots of people would jump in front of the train and as a result trains home and to college were delayed by hours. People who didn't go to my college thought i was talking about some band when I mentioned it in conversation so.

Aug 20, 2014 4:50 PM

Jun 2014
Loli_Sensei said:
In like the few months after the new year in the winter the students at my last college called it the 'suicide season', because every year during that time lots of people would jump in front of the train and as a result trains home and to college were delayed by hours. People who didn't go to my college thought i was talking about some band when I mentioned it in conversation so.

Jesus. Is your college in a prison or something?
Aug 20, 2014 7:22 PM

Jan 2012
Mighta already been mentioned but "Heyna" is a pretty big one where I live, or was when I was younger anyway. It's basically seeking confirmation. It's another way of saying "Isn't that so?" For example you might say or hear someone say something like "Nice weather today heyna?"
Aug 20, 2014 9:45 PM

Jul 2014
I grew up in Virginia Beach and there, people say "weak" to describe something that's funny. Strangely, even in other places in Virginia that aren't too far away (such as Williamsburg or Richmond), people don't use the term at all.

Ex. "That joke had me weak, bro."

here's the urban dictionary thing for it.
Aug 20, 2014 9:53 PM

Apr 2013
There's a train depending on what you are referring to out here.

I know this one pretty well because I started this trend. I started a Tumblr and on my last Facebook I had a lot of friends. One of my friends is always prone to learning about certain things later than everyone else so I called him out one day by saying, "welcome to the late train!" The phrase "late train" now refers to anybody who catches on late.

It expanded to different trains still completely dependent on the situation, but more people reference "late train" more often. It also became an adjective, so instead of saying "[blank] is on the late train," people just say, "[blank] is so late train."

I left for college back in 2012, but I know it's still here. I still hear it.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 20, 2014 11:24 PM

May 2011
"Don't stick your finger up others' butts because that's so dirty you slut"
It's said when someone stick his finger up your ass and you find that too dirty.
Aug 21, 2014 6:32 AM

Sep 2013
Satan-sama said:
"Don't stick your finger up others' butts because that's so dirty you slut"
It's said when someone stick his finger up your ass and you find that too dirty.

^ lolwtf

What's trending here is removing a letter from a word
i.e "That guy is hella sketch(y)" or "She is my ba(b)e"
The advocate of [i]equality[/i].

"Imagine if the air we breathe was a drug and makes us see a dazed, weird version of the world,
and people took 'drugs' to try and see the true world and that's why its illegal..."
-EPICBOXSKILLZ
Aug 21, 2014 6:35 AM

Oct 2011
ruraljurors said:
I grew up in Virginia Beach and there, people say "weak" to describe something that's funny. Strangely, even in other places in Virginia that aren't too far away (such as Williamsburg or Richmond), people don't use the term at all.

Ex. "That joke had me weak, bro."

here's the urban dictionary thing for it.

I've heard that used down here (South Louisiana) too, but not enough to consider it part of our vocabulary. Interesting.

Aug 21, 2014 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
we call our dicks pissers

when you get a blowjob, the girl smoked your pisser
Aug 21, 2014 6:47 AM

Nov 2012
jesusdiedLOL said:
we call our dicks pissers

when you get a blowjob, the girl smoked your pisser
how charming
Aug 21, 2014 6:49 AM

Feb 2010
A whole shitton. Vienna slang is the best slang.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 21, 2014 6:52 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Ohioans (And to a greater extent, THE FGC) like to use the term "Salty" for anytime a person gets frustrated or angry.
If a person/team loses a game and were close to winning, they are salty.
A teacher who got corrected by a student and was correct, they are salty.
Principle suspends a student, they are salty.
"On a scale of one to pretzel, how salty are you?????"
Got beat by Marn and sent to losers of EVO? they are salty.

Dancers in the area enjoy saying everything is dope or tight.
Killed a beat, dope.
Finally got your flares down, tighttt.
New pair of chachi-mamas came in, dope.

I remember during my stay in Melbourne a few years ago, ass was a thing to add to the end of anything. It was just extra emphasis
"That was cool-ass"
Aug 21, 2014 6:55 AM

Oct 2011
Zelot said:
Ohioans (And to a greater extent, THE FGC) like to use the term "Salty" for anytime a person gets frustrated or angry.

I'm going to Ohio tomorrow. seeyousoon

Aug 21, 2014 6:57 AM

Jun 2008
Considering my city is waaaaaaay too multicultural, the only thing that do comes to mind is just how easily and frequently the word "sorry" comes up. We apologize way too much. But I only been to China and I know this isn't the case there. We say sorry at the smallest things here, like being on the sidewalk and people walking to opposite directions gets stuck as both tries to walk on the same side. Or not holding the doors for someone behind. Just yesterday someone said sorry to me as they accidentally touched my hair in the bus lol
Aug 21, 2014 7:35 AM

Jul 2014
o, an expression that really amuses the europeans is ''crisser le camp''

It means ''getting the fuck out'' in Québec French.
Aug 21, 2014 7:36 AM

Jun 2014
"Dont burn the house down to catch a rat"

Team Blackbeard||Hot Seat Thread||-主人-様 <3||DIE
Aug 21, 2014 7:37 AM
Feb 2014
Ala dakran = Ala zubbi = on my cock = I don't give a fuck

I apologize for the strong language,but that's all I know.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

14 by rohan121 »»
4 minutes ago

» what is your favorite ice cream flavor? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 5

62 by duchessliz87 »»
6 minutes ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century?

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

46 by Hikinekomori »»
2 hours ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - 11 hours ago

11 by KittenCuddler »»
2 hours ago

» How do you process death?

Lightskynight - Apr 14

35 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.