Forum Settings
Forums

Topics/Themes You Would Like To See Explored More In Anime?

New
Aug 19, 2014 4:58 AM
May 2014
For me, I would I like to see an anime where the main character is an autistic kid. I have no clue what kind of story to think about but just a MC being autistic. Like ADHD, Down Syndrome, PDD, Scitzo. Either that or a main character with Alzheimer's. Would really to see an anime tackle down on that one.

Another I would to see more attempts of, despite the theme being VERY overexposed in other mediums is zombies. So far the only big budget zombie anime I can think of is High School of the Dead, and that one was...well not exactly a serious attempt IMO XD.

I mean in video games, we got two great ones in with The Last of Us and The Walking Dead. I would love to see an Anime that would make a serious Zombie one with THAT kind of effort.

What about you guys?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 19, 2014 5:05 AM

Aug 2014
Things that aren't in schools.

I was thinking the other day that the only anime that I can think of that takes place in a circus is Kaleido Star. Technically the beginning of Nadia is, but I mean an anime where it centers around circus life. I wouldn't mind seeing more if they are done well.

As for themes, I'd like to see more anime about what happens after you die (according to the respective anime world). Haibane Renmei and Angel Beats fit, but again... it's more rare.
Aug 19, 2014 5:10 AM
May 2014
DJStarstryker said:

I was thinking the other day that the only anime that I can think of that takes place in a circus is Kaleido Star. Technically the beginning of Nadia is, but I mean an anime where it centers around circus life. I wouldn't mind seeing more if they are done well.

As for themes, I'd like to see more anime about what happens after you die (according to the respective anime world). Haibane Renmei and Angel Beats fit, but again... it's more rare.

If only. XD

Circus, interesting. I don't know much about circus life so that would be pretty cool to see.

I enjoyed Angel Beats a lot so I as well would like to see more themes around that too.
Aug 19, 2014 5:29 AM

Feb 2013
DJStarstryker said:
midori shojo tsubaki

death billiards
last episode of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

sadly many ideas aren't easy to do a full tv series with it, but in the ova and movie world there's more interesting stuff
also crazier episodic series
romagiaAug 19, 2014 5:33 AM
Aug 19, 2014 5:37 AM

Oct 2008
Would love to see a series that follows the life of a character that is a professional athlete or taking part in anything high level sport related, starting from a young age and following throughout his youth/adulthood.Not just in high school.

Similar to how Major was except with more realism and not so much forced drama.
Aug 19, 2014 5:39 AM

Nov 2012
amateur said:
Would love to see a series that follows the life of a character that is a professional athlete or taking part in anything high level sport related, starting from a young age and following throughout his youth/adulthood.Not just in high school.

baby steps
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 19, 2014 5:43 AM
May 2014
amateur said:

Hopefully Kuroko No Basket goes this route after High School Basketball and shows the main characters in a professional league like the NBA.
Aug 19, 2014 5:47 AM

May 2013
More series centered around politics, but we won't be getting that in a million years.
Aug 19, 2014 5:52 AM

Dec 2013
new things are not usually good
like ZnT this season, it is considered as 1 of the best this summer, but it is believed to have poor sales, because Japanese thinks its surrounding around terrorists as an insult to their country
Aug 19, 2014 5:54 AM
May 2014
moonnya said:
new things are not usually good
like ZnT this season, it is considered as 1 of the best this summer, but it is believed to have poor sales, because Japanese thinks its surrounding around terrorists as an insult to their country

I'm not really talking about something that would do well in sales really. Just topics/themes YOU personally would like to see more of that haven't been tackled much if at all.
Aug 19, 2014 6:04 AM

Feb 2014
A pessimistic, introverted male lead in school. It's interesting to hear their monologues.
Aug 19, 2014 6:05 AM
Mar 2011
There are a lot but here are some:
Suicide
Nightmares
Revolutions
Storytelling
Alternative ways of thinking (like in Death Note)
Lack of purpose in the human life
Aug 19, 2014 6:05 AM
Nov 2008
a girl who gets a lot of joys from anal sex in a world where anal sex is illegal. she resorts to overly large poops for pleasure.
Aug 19, 2014 6:09 AM
Dec 2013
A courtroom drama anime. Even though it'd be boring as fuck.

Definitely would like to see more police anime and detective anime.

I'd also might like to see more prison drama anime too, though I'm aware of one that already exists (Rainbow).

Also, no more zombies please. I know the genre barely exists in anime, but I'm sick of seeing them in the Western media. Same with vampires. There's too much of them. We're oversaturated with them.
wildhoodSep 9, 2014 4:12 PM
Aug 19, 2014 6:10 AM
Dec 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
More series centered around politics, but we won't be getting that in a million years.
I'd say that would bore the shit out of the majority of anime fans as there is more teens-horror-fighting-psychological-sports-ecchi-shounen-mecha-PEW-PEW fans.
UchihaAug 19, 2014 6:25 AM
Aug 19, 2014 6:12 AM

Sep 2012
ScarYaY said:
amateur said:

Hopefully Kuroko No Basket goes this route after High School Basketball and shows the main characters in a professional league like the NBA.

Kuroko no Basket isn't realistic.
Aug 19, 2014 6:12 AM

Mar 2014
The Legend of Koizumi needs a proper anime, stat.

inb4 ovas
Aug 19, 2014 6:23 AM

May 2013
A dark romance anime.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 19, 2014 6:26 AM

Mar 2011
SetsukoHara said:
ScarYaY said:

You're telling me that they don't have magic in real life Basketball?

Bullshit, I refuse to believe it.
Aug 19, 2014 6:36 AM

Dec 2012
I'd like more mature slice-of-lifes like the manga series Deep Love; where it shows the depressive reality of people in Japan (in particular, girls and their reason for prostitution and for getting into the drug scene-- and an attempt to clean themselves up but something happens), something like how Jigoku Shoujo shows a story of one person each episode and how they suffer and how they want revenge.

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK already and I loved it)
Aug 19, 2014 6:43 AM

Feb 2012
Super robots and a lot more slice of life that is not about japanese people or present times.
Aug 19, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
a girl who gets a lot of joys from anal sex in a world where anal sex is illegal. she resorts to overly large poops for pleasure.
I just shed a tear.
Aug 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Jan 2013
I'd want to see anime with more serious topics and which are more authentic. It doesn't always have to be super cute or funny, I'm more the fan of realistic anime.

Aug 19, 2014 10:21 AM

Oct 2008
ScarYaY said:
amateur said:

LOL

Ok sorry for the immature response,but Kuroko No Basket is in no way shape or form realistic or has enough hindsight to go that way.
Its 1 step away from being DBZ in basketball form,maybe if they would stop milking the whole "The Generation of Miracles" thing already it could actually start going somewhere...
Aug 19, 2014 10:38 AM

Jul 2011
I WANT

- A good post-apocalyptic anime
- College romance drama
- More gangs/mafia anime
- A historical anime with real life figures
- More anime set in the west ( NOT japan )
- MORE MORE AND MORE Dark psychological thrillers
Aug 19, 2014 10:54 AM

Jul 2014
I want more satires like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that poke fun at the way culture has developed. Going along with that, more political satires.

Less harems with flat chicks showing off their zettai ryouiki, panties, and disproportionate boobs to a boring male.
Aug 19, 2014 10:58 AM

Jan 2010
The life of working adults. I know of stuff like Hataraki Man, Bartender, and Ristorante Paradiso, but I can't think of anything else.
Aug 19, 2014 11:03 AM

Jan 2008
A cyberpunk story with adult characters (please, unless it's new Lain: no teen-hackers living in a basement).

A good detective series, with deduction, police work and no supernatural / deus-ex-machina case solving.

And some post-apo would be nice.
-
Aug 19, 2014 11:09 AM

Mar 2014
-some more natural disaster anime
-serious attempt at zombie apocalypse *like you said
Aug 19, 2014 11:11 AM

Jul 2014
Serious or demiserious sci-fi, detective, post-apocalypse would be nice as a setting, I guess. Also some -punk settings: dieselpunk or cyberpunk, maybe biopunk. Even fantasy has some untapped potential, actually.
Just, please, no shool, not even magical shool, not mecha shool too.

I'd like to see more adult characters.

As for the topics - I am a fan of psychological stories, with psychological stuff visualized. I'd watch almost anything about a person with psychological problems, that don't make him stronger or not only make him stronger but actually hinder his everyday life.
Aug 19, 2014 11:12 AM

Feb 2012
Infinite said:

You're telling me that they don't have magic in real life Basketball?

Bullshit, I refuse to believe it.

They had Magic Johnson.
Aug 19, 2014 11:36 AM

Aug 2014
I would like to see more sci-fi set in the near future, possibly apocalyptic, with a convincingly detailed world, and loaded with social/political commentary presented through multi-layered metaphors and idealogical/philosophical conflitcs.

Like Mars of Destruction.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 19, 2014 11:36 AM

Oct 2012
Eating Disorders
There isn't even ONE serious Anime about it.

Also, I wish for more adult characters (that also LOOK like adults)... Some where they don't just add two wrinkles around the mouth and that makes them 60 years old. >.>
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Aug 19, 2014 11:57 AM
Aug 2014
DJStarstryker said:

AMEN to that! Would love to see more anime like Fate Zero.
Aug 19, 2014 11:59 AM
Aug 2014
wallflowers said:
I'd like more mature slice-of-lifes like the manga series Deep Love; where it shows the depressive reality of people in Japan (in particular, girls and their reason for prostitution and for getting into the drug scene-- and an attempt to clean themselves up but something happens), something like how Jigoku Shoujo shows a story of one person each episode and how they suffer and how they want revenge.

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK already and I loved it)

Thanks I'm adding Deep Love to my manga to read.
Aug 19, 2014 12:01 PM

Jan 2013
I want more historic anime.
Aug 19, 2014 12:05 PM
Aug 2014
deadoptimist said:
Serious or demiserious sci-fi, detective, post-apocalypse would be nice as a setting, I guess. Also some -punk settings: dieselpunk or cyberpunk, maybe biopunk. Even fantasy has some untapped potential, actually.
Just, please, no shool, not even magical shool, not mecha shool too.

I'd like to see more adult characters.

As for the topics - I am a fan of psychological stories, with psychological stuff visualized. I'd watch almost anything about a person with psychological problems, that don't make him stronger or not only make him stronger but actually hinder his everyday life.

YES. Currently, I'm going into the classics: Boogiepop, Paranoia Agent, etc. Not to say I don't enjoy the school life/slice of life here and there but, I'd prefer to see more animes like Psycho Pass or the like come through. Animes that really make you think, have you sitting down for deep discussions, that's anime worth remembering.
Aug 19, 2014 12:05 PM

Oct 2012
More cyberpunk is always welcome.
Aug 19, 2014 12:10 PM

Aug 2014
xstina0314 said:
deadoptimist said:

YES. Currently, I'm going into the classics: Boogiepop, Paranoia Agent, etc. Not to say I don't enjoy the school life/slice of life here and there but, I'd prefer to see more animes like Psycho Pass or the like come through. Animes that really make you think, have you sitting down for deep discussions, that's anime worth remembering.

Have you seen Himitsu: Top Secret, or Mouryou no Hako?
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 19, 2014 12:11 PM
May 2014
SetsukoHara said:

amateur said:

LOL

Ok sorry for the immature response,but Kuroko No Basket is in no way shape or form realistic or has enough hindsight to go that way.
Its 1 step away from being DBZ in basketball form,maybe if they would stop milking the whole "The Generation of Miracles" thing already it could actually start going somewhere...

I wasn't aware we were talking about realism. 0_0 My bad XD.
Aug 19, 2014 12:14 PM
May 2014
Jody32 said:
It's funny how I can think of an anime/manga for each and every topic that has been asked.

It's not about if the anime for a certain topic has been done before, it's about a topic in your opinion that there should be more of.
Aug 19, 2014 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
Hardcore kite flying
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Aug 19, 2014 12:30 PM
Aug 2014
PencilSharpener said:
xstina0314 said:

Have you seen Himitsu: Top Secret, or Mouryou no Hako?

Haven't seen either. Will add them to my list, thanks for the recommendation. :D
Aug 19, 2014 12:53 PM

Jul 2012
There isn't any anime about a world that is completely clockwork as if electricity was never discovered

Something like pirates of the Carribean

Journey to the center of the earth or hidden world under the earth type things

Supernatrual comedies
Not serious at all.
Like ghostbusters
Aug 19, 2014 1:30 PM

Sep 2013
More psychological stuff in general. I want to see more characters faced with mental/emotional challenges instead of physical ones. Also more shows that show more strategic/tactical stuff because I really enjoy series that show battles from those perspectives.
Aug 19, 2014 1:58 PM

Sep 2012
This might be a weird one: I want a serious, down-to-earth, clusterfuck of a relationship. Where two people, not-giving-fuck of their gender, are flat-out physically and mentally abusive towards each other to the point where they both just wanna rip each other's head from the necks. But, at the same time, they remember as to why they even started the relationship. They have these short glimpses into why they yell at each other day and night and still choose to stay together. I think it'd throw a nice spin to those people that say "well, if it's abusive, just leave her/him".

Also, I really want to see anime that deals with drug-abuse, serious mental disorders (bi-polar, MPD, schizophrenia etc.). So ... yeah. Dark shit. Sorry.
Aug 19, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2012
More tragedy, I enjoy happy shows as much as next person but there is a certain appeal to watching everything fall apart and result in suffering and possibly death for the characters.
Aug 19, 2014 3:17 PM
May 2014
MAND4 said:
This might be a weird one: I want a serious, down-to-earth, clusterfuck of a relationship. Where two people, not-giving-fuck of their gender, are flat-out physically and mentally abusive towards each other to the point where they both just wanna rip each other's head from the necks. But, at the same time, they remember as to why they even started the relationship. They have these short glimpses into why they yell at each other day and night and still choose to stay together. I think it'd throw a nice spin to those people that say "well, if it's abusive, just leave her/him".

Also, I really want to see anime that deals with drug-abuse, serious mental disorders (bi-polar, MPD, schizophrenia etc.). So ... yeah. Dark shit. Sorry.

So...a Married couple? *ba dum tsh*

Same. :D
Aug 19, 2014 3:24 PM

Jul 2014
MAND4 said:

I agree, that would be good. Drug abuse as a center of story isn't my cup of tea, but mental disorders are interesting.
Aug 19, 2014 3:41 PM

Jul 2012
ninjastarforcex said:
amateur said:

baby steps

I hope Baby Steps goes further into the future. And I'd also love to see another Major with more realism. We either have high school sports or pro-league sports (Giant Killing, One Outs...). I'd love to see both.

Shocked said:
The life of working adults. I know of stuff like Hataraki Man, Bartender, and Ristorante Paradiso, but I can't think of anything else.

Servant x Service?

-Klad- said:
I want more historic anime.

Yes please.

PencilSharpener said:
I would like to see more sci-fi set in the near future, possibly apocalyptic, with a convincingly detailed world, and loaded with social/political commentary presented through multi-layered metaphors and idealogical/philosophical conflitcs.

Shinsekai Yori
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 1 hour ago

11 by SwordBreaker36 »»
52 seconds ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

11 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

27 by SwordBreaker36 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
22 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.