Forum Settings
Forums

What's with everyone saying it's overrated?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 18, 2014 3:16 PM

Mar 2014
Because people have shit taste and are in need of an education.
Aug 18, 2014 3:18 PM

Apr 2014
MundaneAfro said:
So much unnecessary bashing on <insert anime> because it was even remotely popular. "i don't like it because people like it"

IMO I think a lot of people dislike "popular" anime not because it's popular, but because of the fandom it has.

I used to love Death Note before the anime came out, and then going to conventions and dealing with the fandom made me really just turn away from it, and I haven't ever really started liking it again. I'm going to try watching the anime soon, but I'll never like it as much as I once did. Not because it got popular, but because of the fandom and people it attracted.

It's the same thing with things like Hetalia. I know lots of people who just hate the whole thing now purely because of the fandom.
Aug 18, 2014 3:52 PM

Oct 2013
sn0wtiger said:
MundaneAfro said:
So much unnecessary bashing on <insert anime> because it was even remotely popular. "i don't like it because people like it"

IMO I think a lot of people dislike "popular" anime not because it's popular, but because of the fandom it has.

I used to love Death Note before the anime came out, and then going to conventions and dealing with the fandom made me really just turn away from it, and I haven't ever really started liking it again. I'm going to try watching the anime soon, but I'll never like it as much as I once did. Not because it got popular, but because of the fandom and people it attracted.

It's the same thing with things like Hetalia. I know lots of people who just hate the whole thing now purely because of the fandom.

Well with that logic you will not like anything that's popular. Because it's just natural for people you know to go out and talk to other fans of stuff they like.

I don't understand people is like they want everyone to just shut up and don't talk. about something they like. If that's what you all wish for then good by to having a discussion then.
Aug 18, 2014 3:55 PM

Oct 2013
sn0wtiger said:
MundaneAfro said:

By your logic everyone should just shut up.
Aug 18, 2014 3:59 PM

Feb 2014
geniobastardo said:
MundaneAfro said:
. "i don't like it because people like it"

exactamundo!

Amen.

It can be fun having a differing opinion on something everyone agrees on.
Aug 18, 2014 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:
sn0wtiger said:

Well with that logic you will not like anything that's popular. Because it's just natural for people you know to go out and talk to other fans of stuff they like.

I don't understand people is like they want everyone to just shut up and don't talk. about something they like. If that's what you all wish for then good by to having a discussion then.

The only reason I can think of for this is they want to be special for being one of the few people who know [insert anime] and once more people jump onto the bandwagon, they turn to dislike it.
Aug 18, 2014 4:25 PM

Jun 2013
As long as someone can bring up decent points as to why something is overrated or underrated it's okay in my books. It opens the topic up for a discussion and you can debate x and y points as to why the think its under/over. There will always be people who call stuff overrated just cause they hate the fan base or any other random reason but it's pretty easy to just ignore those. It's not like they are attacking you personally but rather your favorite show.
Aug 22, 2014 6:50 AM

Jun 2014
Just because you like something doesn't actually mean that everybody will.
Aug 22, 2014 6:59 AM
Aug 23, 2014 6:12 PM

Aug 2013
a
Aug 23, 2014 6:16 PM

Aug 2013
b
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2014 7:28 PM

Nov 2013
Since when was calling something "overrated" the same as calling it "bad?" It seems like a lot of people think the two words are synonymous. I'm sure there are people out there who consider a particular anime overrated but still like it anyway.

I've always been under the impression that the word "overrated" was more of a jab to the fanbase of a show rather than the show itself — that is, it insinuates that the fanbase of said show has poor judgment because they think it's better than it is.
Aug 23, 2014 11:42 PM

Apr 2014
I'd only say it's overrated if it's quality-popularity ratio is skewed to the latter.
I mean, everyone has different tastes, but that's not quality.

An example would be SAO.
Extremely popular, poor quality. (In terms of characters and story, not animation and music)
http://www.oocities.com/Tokyo/Lights/8305/

My Favorite Anime>Your Favorite Anime
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
50 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Today

47 by Piromysl »»
58 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
1 hour ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

37 by Ex-Aid »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.