Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 16, 2014 8:54 PM

Jun 2014
Don't get me wrong, I "liked" SAO I. I gave it a 6/10, but felt the season had many flaws that hindered its true potential, but dayum GGO or SAO II is easily IMO levels above the first season. The execution is just really good and I find myself feeling this could be a 8/10.

Opinions?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2014 9:14 PM

May 2011
Of course this season is way more better than the previous one, It's kinda ironic that I feel that this's more intensive than season 1 though the odds of Kirito being killed is really low unlike the first season that It was more likely for people to be killed. Kirito now can logout whenever he wants. yeah, this season is better.
Aug 16, 2014 9:17 PM

Dec 2013
Yep, it's way better
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 16, 2014 9:25 PM

Nov 2012
It's very slightly better. Season 1 was a teenager trying to write a story. He thought all you needed was a concept and let the characters fuck around with said concept. With season 2, he found out that there was such a thing as character development, so he gave that a shot. It's still shitty character development mind you, but it's a step in the right direction.
Aug 16, 2014 9:31 PM

Mar 2014
Trash is trash, no matter how many subsequent continuations you attempt to cover it up with.
Aug 16, 2014 9:41 PM
Jan 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Don't get me wrong, I "liked" SAO I. I gave it a 6/10, but felt the season had many flaws that hindered its true potential, but dayum GGO or SAO II is easily IMO levels above the first season. The execution is just really good and I find myself feeling this could be a 8/10.

Opinions?

Yeah it is a bit better as a standalone.

But it is a sequel that has absolutely no reason to exist.

Feels like a filler arc honestly.

Aug 16, 2014 10:29 PM
Mar 2012
This is me basically repeating the same thing in other threads about how A-1 skipped so much content and removed practically all relevant development and details from the novels in season one. They're doing a much better job in season two, but that still can't cover for the blunders season one had.

Animation quality also got much better:
Aug 16, 2014 10:54 PM

Jul 2014
genesic123 said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Opinions?

Yeah it is a bit better as a standalone.

But it is a sequel that has absolutely no reason to exist.

Feels like a filler arc honestly.

I think it is good for the series to be so long, you can compare how he "evolves"

Miraclezify said:
It's very slightly better. Season 1 was a teenager trying to write a story. He thought all you needed was a concept and let the characters fuck around with said concept. With season 2, he found out that there was such a thing as character development, so he gave that a shot. It's still shitty character development mind you, but it's a step in the right direction.

Maybe when he´s like 30, 35 he will become what we have as a good writer, now he is learning to walk, then he shall run, and maybe will try to "clean" the athletic marathon he tried to when he was crawling and failed.
Aug 17, 2014 1:39 AM
Apr 2013
IIRC Kawahara Reki initially started SAO as a webnovel due to it's page-length exceeding a certain writing competition he initially wrote it for. This was in the early 2000s. Thus when it was finally officially published alongside Accel World in 2009. Problem was if I remember correctly Reki was beyond surprised how popular it became. Subsequently he rushed the writing for Volumes 3/4 (Alfheim) hence why it became the shitstorm that it was. Thus with Vol.5/6 (Phantom Bullet) he had more time and past lessons to draw from such that it was written quite well.

I'm waiting for the Alicization Arc, that was exceptionally well done :]
Aug 17, 2014 11:44 AM
Oct 2012
WhaleKing said:
Subsequently he rushed the writing for Volumes 3/4 (Alfheim) hence why it became the shitstorm that it was.

Personally I thought ALO was fine as written, it was horrible when animated. A-1 pretty much cut all the humor from the show and replaced it with extra fanservice.

The reason the first 14 episodes had issues was due to the fact that he wrote the first novel (episodes 1, 8-10, 13-14) and then did some side stories (which were 2-7, 11-12) and A-1 did nothing to try to make this coherent to anyone who didn't read the stories. If I had adapted them, I would have started with parts of 8 (which was the original start of the novel anyway), and then have Kirito telling his own past story, interspersed with some events as they were happening, so that some flow and context were established. Would have also helped in showing Kirito's character development.
Aug 17, 2014 6:55 PM

Jul 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
WhaleKing said:
Subsequently he rushed the writing for Volumes 3/4 (Alfheim) hence why it became the shitstorm that it was.

Personally I thought ALO was fine as written, it was horrible when animated. A-1 pretty much cut all the humor from the show and replaced it with extra fanservice.

The reason the first 14 episodes had issues was due to the fact that he wrote the first novel (episodes 1, 8-10, 13-14) and then did some side stories (which were 2-7, 11-12) and A-1 did nothing to try to make this coherent to anyone who didn't read the stories. If I had adapted them, I would have started with parts of 8 (which was the original start of the novel anyway), and then have Kirito telling his own past story, interspersed with some events as they were happening, so that some flow and context were established. Would have also helped in showing Kirito's character development.

In that way of adaptation you could´ve added someone asking him about everything and stuff...
Like a counselor, a psychologist or something like that
I think it is kinda difficult to make a full flashback show
They could´ve added at the end and or in the middle something like Sugou buying SAO and doing the mechanism to trap players and/or the Laughing coffin members getting out and not being prosecuted to the mix and it would´ve been easier to the ones who didn´t read the books to understand the born of the next arcs.
Aug 17, 2014 7:08 PM
Apr 2009
In my opinion the first season was much better than this one, this season is ruining everything for me.
Aug 17, 2014 7:19 PM

Mar 2013
First half of first season was better, but this entire show is mediocre.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Jul 2014
DerpHole said:
First half of first season was better, but this entire show is mediocre.

Dunno...
My common sense tells me to not trust you but that licking Pikachu tells me
"This muthafucker has the best criteria in the world and could beat the crap out of ssjokg, Link_of_Hyrule and those guys who seem to know a lot of shit about storytelling if they played on the same ground against him..."
Dunno
Can I trust you?
Those licking tongues insist me on trusting you...
It is so difficult
It makes me have more angst than Shinji Ikari.... but without the BA part...
Or the mechas
Or the angst
Or anything....
But those lickings....
Should I trust you?
RolanddeschainAug 17, 2014 8:07 PM
Aug 17, 2014 7:55 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah I think 2nd season is better
Aug 17, 2014 9:26 PM

Mar 2008
If you count just the SAO portion of the first season, it is just a tiny bit less epic. Add in the fail-train that was ALO, then yes, second season is better.
>Ecchi na no wa ikenai to omoimasu!<
Aug 17, 2014 9:34 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah,I actually thought this season is better.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 17, 2014 10:00 PM

Jul 2014
This season lacks that "immersive" feeling I got when I watched season 1. I used to play a lot of World of Warcraft back in highschool and SAO definitely mimicked that atmosphere extremely well.

I'd say the potential for season 2 is high because it doesn't have to give too much on the explanation side as people know what to expect from an SAO series.

That being said, season 2 is moving a bit slow for my tastes.
Aug 17, 2014 10:01 PM

Dec 2009
Not really, really. No.
Aug 17, 2014 10:02 PM

Mar 2014
Well Sinon's ass is pretty much the highlight of the series so....
Aug 18, 2014 12:09 AM

Apr 2013
Well, there are still people who will say SAO suck (which is not really answering the OP) even if it's a fact that this season is better.
imo, this season is better than the first but not much. But I do think that they are doing a better job on composition, not sure if it's because of the story itself or A-1 efforts
Aug 18, 2014 1:47 AM
Jul 2014
I think it's better. Now we know about the game's mechanic, the character's background, and we actually see character development in the anime.

The pacing feels too slow for me, though. But I like it better than the ridiculously fast pacing of the first season.
Aug 18, 2014 4:11 AM

Jan 2014
I feel contrary... I never liked slow pacing much. It lost its atmosphere, it became too dark without that bright feeling like in first season.

But both are great.
TapuTapuuAug 18, 2014 4:15 AM
Aug 18, 2014 4:20 AM

Oct 2012
Outside of the absolute stupidity that is Kirito's apparent PTSD out of literally nowhere, I'd said this season is more competent than the first season, especially since Shino is the best written character in the series. However its honestly been pretty boring so far, I was optimistic at first because the first season had huge pacing issues and they were taking things slow but it honestly feels like nothing has happened yet. It honestly feels like a chore to watch and I'm only really sticking it out to stay in the loop.
Aug 18, 2014 4:29 AM

Oct 2007
Pretty much playing out about the same and like the average A-1 action show so far. First couple of episodes, generally pretty decent, everything after, YMMW considerably. Take the latest episode in particular that accomplished absolutely nothing new for the narrative and could have easily been one of those portions of a story you cut for it. Really just pretty much exactly what I would have expected.
Aug 18, 2014 8:56 AM

Jan 2014
This season is the better smelling turd.
Aug 18, 2014 9:15 AM

Nov 2012
This past episode was pretty boring to me tbh... but those two sinon focsued episodes were pretty damn good to me. Also the episode where kirito meets sinon , and where kirito meets deathgun were pretty well done.

I remember I actually quite liked the first season of SAO while many had very vocal complaints about it... only thing I didn't like was fast pacing and that shit at the end that was in no way explained or believable.
Aug 20, 2014 5:23 AM

Mar 2011
Delca said:
I think it's better. Now we know about the game's mechanic, the character's background, and we actually see character development in the anime.

The pacing feels too slow for me, though. But I like it better than the ridiculously fast pacing of the first season.

Basically this. The first season had to spend a lot of time on explaining the game's mechanics and talking about the implications of a virtual world.
Now that it's done, this show has more time to focus about "classical" storytelling, which is something that the author do better than (badly) focusing about his universe like in S1, with its only break from VR being the love story of the MCs.
Aug 22, 2014 3:32 PM
Aug 2014
Nah its just you, 1st season was a lot better, though this has its moments.
Aug 22, 2014 3:56 PM

Nov 2013
Anatolian said:
Lolno.
This is vastly superior to season 1 in every way.
Aug 22, 2014 5:25 PM
Apr 2014
Anatolian said:

wat.

No, nope, not, nein.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 23, 2014 10:55 AM
Aug 2014
Botato said:
Lolno.
Reyxe said:

wat.

No, nope, not, nein.

I'm tempted to claim that you guys just have bad taste and it cant be helped.

But I wont and I refuse to continue this discussion until we have finished this season... things might change.

You see, I'm open minded person.
Aug 23, 2014 11:02 AM

Jun 2013
Character development and animation have improved. World immersion has gotten worse (it sort of stinks that they're stuck immediately into the BoB and don't get to explore the world at all)

Dialogue is still the same
Aug 23, 2014 11:44 AM

Nov 2013
Anatolian said:
Botato said:
Lolno.
Reyxe said:

wat.

No, nope, not, nein.

But I wont and I refuse to continue this discussion until we have finished this season... things might change.

Uhhm sorry but there's no "bad taste" bullshit so save me your trolling.

SAO II has better art and animation, music is just as good, this time we don't have a shit pace ruining the story and any meaningful characterization while at the same time filling the entire show with plotholes and asspulls. I don't know but I find this to be light years better than the mess that was season 1.
Aug 23, 2014 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
First season wasted too much time on characters that don't really matter. I feel like this season is more focused and the only things that are dragging it down are having to make up for what the first season lacked ((like showing the Laughing Coffin stuff now instead of then)) and still having to drag around Kirito's fan club.
Aug 23, 2014 9:08 PM

Mar 2014
I'm gonna wait till the season is actually over before I compare it to first season.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 24, 2014 1:57 AM

Dec 2012
Anatolian said:
Botato said:
Lolno.
Reyxe said:

wat.

No, nope, not, nein.

The person with bad taste is the one who think season 1 is better than 2,including the second half,the disguisting ALO.
Aug 24, 2014 4:24 AM

Oct 2013
Writers tend to improve as they write more books.
Aug 24, 2014 5:29 AM
Apr 2014
Anatolian said:
Botato said:
Lolno.
Reyxe said:

wat.

No, nope, not, nein.

Lulwat, SAO1 better than SAO2? just wtf.

There's a difference between being "open minded" and blind.

SAO2 is superior in maybe every single way to SAO1, deal with it.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 24, 2014 6:49 AM

Oct 2013
This has seasons? In any case I prefer summer.

For me SAO 1 was an 999/10 anime for its brilliant character development and the orgasmic story.

SAO II or Gay Gathering Online or Sinon Ass Online on the other hand was just 998/10 anime for me, Would be 1000/10 if they showed more of dat juicy Sinon ass.
I am a human.
Aug 24, 2014 6:50 PM

Jul 2014
AppoX said:

For me SAO 1 was an 999/10 anime for its brilliant character development and the orgasmic story.

SAO II or Gay Gathering Online or Sinon Ass Online on the other hand was just 998/10 anime for me, Would be 1000/10 if they showed more of dat juicy Sinon ass.

Aug 24, 2014 7:32 PM

Apr 2013
No Asuna=Not that good IMO.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Aug 24, 2014 8:52 PM

Mar 2011
We're not talking about individual tastes here, like "I like x character better". We're talking about a (semi-)objective PoV, regarding the quality of the animation, what they skipped compared to the novel and why, etc. I don't get why people usually don't get that this is about execution and *objective* things. Everyone is free to have its own tastes, but does this HAVE TO implie that you cannot have a brain and recognize the qualities of the things you don't like? (not only with SAO, it's a recurring problem)
I ldon't like some VG, well, if someone asks me, I'm still able to tell the good points they have despite me not liking them, because I know that y tastes != everyone's tastes. Half of the messages on the forum would probably not be hater vs fans if people worked like that.
Aug 24, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Opinions?

i have the EXACT same opinion as you
Aug 26, 2014 12:51 AM

Oct 2012
i guess though it could change if it becomes like the first season so far i think its ok
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 27, 2014 8:47 AM

Aug 2014
It is better, yes. Though the gap would be less if it wasn't for the second arc of Season 1.
Aug 27, 2014 9:29 AM

Mar 2014
Miraclezify said:
It's very slightly better. Season 1 was a teenager trying to write a story.

that story won a contest.
Aug 27, 2014 2:41 PM

Jul 2014
AzuStar said:
Miraclezify said:
It's very slightly better. Season 1 was a teenager trying to write a story.

that story won a contest.

That means either it is not as bad as it is thought to be, that the others utterly sucked or both
Aug 27, 2014 4:37 PM

Jan 2014
Sh1cky said:
No Asuna=Not that good IMO.

Yup.

No problem, we will get to see her soon. ^^
Aug 27, 2014 4:42 PM

Feb 2014
AppoX said:

lol dat troll

but yeah, this season is way better than the first one

悲しい… 悲しいわ…
今日のこと、「お月さま」にも教えてあげないと。
あなたも… 私 “たち” の中に… 取り込んであげる。
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Dec 20, 2014

618 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

958 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 17, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 25, 2014

289 by erixqh »»
Feb 22, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

762 by minu11 »»
Jan 26, 5:10 AM

» While you're watching Season 2

Bijou146 - Jan 14

23 by katnissmaezie »»
Jan 24, 11:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.