Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 11, 2015 8:42 AM

Nov 2010
It was a great watch as a marathon, seeing Kaiki is still alive and Araragi with long hair and Charlie brown face
The story itself was quite tragic about Numachi

Can't wait to see more of it with Senjougahara and Araragi at College perhaps
Feb 8, 2015 3:59 AM

Dec 2013
10/10 for me, Kanbaru definitely my waifu, fuck this, it was so good.
Feb 11, 2015 9:20 PM

Jan 2013
Kaiki and Araragi brightened the show. Worst arc but doesn't mean it's bad.

8/10

Annoyed she cut her hair but whatever
Feb 11, 2015 11:33 PM

Sep 2011
VitaminCaim said:
Kaiki and Araragi brightened the show. Worst arc but doesn't mean it's bad.

8/10

Annoyed she cut her hair but whatever

Personally I thought it was one of the best constructed arcs in the entire series by far, both visually and in terms of overall thematic writing.

The fact that Araragi and Kaiki were brought in to purposely frame Kanbaru and Numachi's role of good/evil were definitely on purpose and not just a way to shoe-horn the characters into the arc.
ronriFeb 11, 2015 11:57 PM
Feb 13, 2015 10:48 AM

Dec 2012
Not gonna lie, like how the novel readers told me, this was the most boring arc. I actually felt refreshed after hearing Araragi's voice (don't like his new look though). I overestimated a bit, how much I like Kanbaru, because unlike Hanekewa's in the first arc, her issues were not as interesting to me. And I didn't really like Rouka that much.

But nonetheless, it was good and solid overall, and it had more thematic art than the other arcs, which is nice. 8/10
Apr 2, 2015 12:00 AM

May 2014
Loved the water effects and such in the basketball court. Very cool. Not a bad arc, but obviously not as good as the previous ones. 8/10, though! Still good!
Apr 4, 2015 4:14 PM

Jun 2014
Beautiful arc. Really like it. Even had kaiki and had some really amazing scenes. Overall it was very good so 8/10.
Apr 12, 2015 3:58 PM

Jan 2014
Wow,..

I marathonned Hanamonogatari, not expecting much from it, without any other recurring characters and never finding Suruga all that interesting. I ended up liking it more than many of season 1 and 2 main arcs. The art was just amazing (bit unmonogatari-lik though without the randomness and with the detailed backgrounds), the story and characters were solid, and then there was Kaiki all of a sudden, not only being alive, but also showing some very interesting character development.

9/10
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
May 23, 2015 6:01 PM

Apr 2015
I found pretty cool focus in the history of Kanbaru . It is interesting to turn to the secondary characters .
May 28, 2015 7:51 PM

Mar 2012
Been awhile since I really enjoyed an arc from this series, but this one was pretty well done imo

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 14, 2015 3:52 AM

Dec 2010
...she should have kiss her >w< YURI !!!
Jun 19, 2015 9:16 AM

Jan 2011
Top tier dialogs and really good characters. Not a 10/10 because at some parts it became a little boring, but overall a Great addition to the monogatari series.

9/10 from me.
Jun 19, 2015 9:23 AM

Apr 2014
I'm surprised ppl found this to be a strong arc.. while i love the shit outta the entire series and i watch hana probably the most out of any arc. i give it a 8/10 but at the same time i still think its the weakest
Jun 19, 2015 9:25 AM

Jan 2011
Moodie said:
I'm surprised ppl found this to be a strong arc.. while i love the shit outta the entire series and i watch hana probably the most out of any arc. i give it a 8/10 but at the same time i still think its the weakest

Well, it's all opinions. The dialogs are one of the strongest I've seen in the whole series. For me, the best one is Monogatari: Second Season, and the weakest: Nisemonogatari.
Jul 8, 2015 3:09 PM

Aug 2014
Not as good as Bake or Monogatari: Second season but still it was rather entertaining. 7/10.
Jul 12, 2015 11:48 AM

Feb 2015
That disappearance of Numachi hit me with some Angel Beats! feelings.
All's good now ..Suruga is fun and strong, the story will go on.
Aug 18, 2015 7:48 AM

Apr 2010
I liked her old hairstyle more tbh :P
Aug 21, 2015 7:47 PM

Jul 2010
From the start, I've never been that fond of Kanbaru's character.
Made this arc quite a bore to watch.

Don't know anything about this Numachi person -- felt like an ass-pull to give more plot to Kanbaru. And long-haired Araragi...what?

Yeah, this was disappointing. But still bearable.
6/10
Aug 23, 2015 2:17 PM

Feb 2015
Really nice ending to an enjoyable arc. I'll give it an 8 probably. I loved that ED (felt like more of an OP) too.
Aug 29, 2015 12:32 AM
Feb 2015
It was enjoyable and satisfactory, but not as good as previous additions to this series, in my opinion. But, I am excited to continue on to Tsukimonogatari, and eventually Owarimonogatari. 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2015 8:05 PM

Jul 2014
Goddamn it, I actually thought that this last episode was going to be about the basketball match, and that was only 1 or 2 minutes out of the whole episode.

1/5 for the episode, 3/10 for the series.
Sep 10, 2015 12:20 PM

Jan 2015
Kanbaru is far from my favourite character, but Hanamonogatari got to be the best arc in the whole monogatari series for me. I really loved numachi! To me she was like a tragic heroine set up to be an antagonist. I was hoping kanbaru would bring her salvation, but I was devastated to know she had died. Even if numachi says she wanted to see other people's misery, part of me believes that she actually had good intentions in collecting the stories. After all, her actions contradicts what she feels, like collecting those parts and crying for the first girl who told numachi her problems. I want to believe that she wanted to bear the devil's curse so nobody would fall for it. I guess in the end she got her salvation, but it still saddens me. Somebody like her surely deserves to ascend to heaven. RIP. ^^
Sep 15, 2015 2:09 PM
Feb 2015
is it a mistake that araragi's reflection is seen at the end?
Sep 29, 2015 7:32 PM

Mar 2009
It was okay. Thankfully, Kanbaru is best girl, so I enjoyed Hana for that alone. It's just too bad Numachi and Kanbaru never kissed.

Felt bad for Numachi, despite her being a terrible person(for the most part). She had a tragic end.

Also, Araragi's long hair lolwut. He looked weird.
Oct 16, 2015 10:25 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Monogatari at its finest.
Nov 1, 2015 6:47 AM

Sep 2013
damn that ED </3

and kanbaru, so you're more than a perverted yuri huh... this arc made me see you in a new light :D
Dec 19, 2015 11:54 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
It was kinda cool watching this after owarimonogatari. I actually forgot to watch this last year, but it turned out to be fine. The thing that probably threw me off the most was that Ougi is a guy. 9/10

Jan 14, 2016 3:58 AM
Jan 2013
Hanamonogatari was neat!

I'm watching all of Monogatari series in release date order (aka author's creation/intention order) so next shall be Tsukimonogatari~
Jan 20, 2016 9:12 AM

Sep 2015
9/10... I had my eyes wet from some beautiful moments/dialogues there... :)
Feb 8, 2016 9:59 PM

Nov 2013
So he wanna marry Karen, sure incest is wincest :3 Thank you Nisio!
I get why he prefers Karen over Tsukihi now, because Karen is wincest and Tsukihi is kind of a loophole in the law for him, however officially Tsukihi is still his bloody imouto so there is not difference from the law point of view. Can have both though, lucky bastard.

Shinobu fanservice yummy, all I can say is thank you again Shaft.

Great ep in general, touchy and good looking, Karen and Tsukihi, a bit of wincest. Previous blah-blah ep with her explanations was rather boring

+1 execution for Araragi-senpai
tsundereharasserMar 6, 2016 5:46 PM
Feb 16, 2016 6:53 PM

Mar 2014
Fuck yeah!!!! Kaiki didn't die and is still a goddamn legend!

7/10
Feb 22, 2016 9:42 AM
May 2013
lol @ Aragi's comment about Karen .
May 8, 2016 2:14 PM
Feb 2012
Bit late to the party but still glad I made it here.

It's been a while since my last -monogatari story, truth be told, so it's nice to dip into its very peculiar realm once more. Off to the next one, then?
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 27, 2016 8:25 AM

Dec 2015
Araragi has a serious sister complex lol he gets excited when he sees his sister, but not when he sees Kanbaru naked?!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 19, 2016 4:01 PM

Oct 2012
So in the end, everything was just Suruga's way how to cope with the past she had forgotten, with a friend she had lost? It was kinda similiar to what Senjougahara went through, ironically enough, although ghost of her long-dead friend felt more like Mayoi than weight-stealing crab. And she also finally overcame insecurities of her youth and reach towards the adulthood. Both themes were nice I guess. But I wouldn't say this was the best Monogatari arc out as others resonated within me better but at least the ending was good and the slam dunk Suruga did (in fight against 'herself') was just as nice as ironic.

Glad to see some old-fashioned Araragi conversation too. Not so glad she had him cut her hairs again as long style really suited her but at least it was good old Suruga again. Shinobu and Araragi's sisters hints were refreshing but still, I expected more of a closure from this arc, since it's the last, at least chronologically-wise. But this what what it was all about, right, so now with old wounds healed and with giving the life new meanings, here comes new beginnings?

6-7/10 overall for me I guess. It wasn't really bad but it wasn't great either. Episodes 3 and 4 were very slow, almost uneventful.

Eudaimonia said:

I am glad that there are even other people who realizes the true meaning of this series lies in its metaphorical way of telling things. Very well written!

But one thing still bothers me though, and that's Ougi. Cause it was (s)he who planted the thought about Mr. Devil into Suruga's head and started whole this whole arc in the first place. I still can't grasp the true meaning of this character. Is he/she meant as devil or temptress character in Faust-like style or should she just represent hidden part of your consciousness that implants the chaos and the change into your thinking simliar how Lucifer sets things in motion and shatters stagnation? Probably the latter. I noticed her role was similiar during Nadeko's arc. But are her motives good or bad? Well, metaphorically, the change can be desirable I guess.

Joekstar said:
>How did he survive?
Don't think this needs to be "explained". The boy probably just thought Kaiki died on the spot / would die soon or didn't intent to kill him and left.

Or, Kaiki is a vampire that rebeled against Acerola back then as was told during her arc. Plain and simple. I bet he is also Suruga's father if that is possible. Anyway, this is clearly something left to be explained in future stories.
Sep 26, 2016 3:28 PM

Apr 2013
Weak start, but had a good ending. Though I hate that all the girls have to cut their hair >.<
Still the weakest season so far, 7/10
Nov 7, 2016 12:39 AM
Sep 2016
finally finish watching hanamonogatari!!!!!!!
Nov 12, 2016 11:56 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
fith and last episode, of this mini series, about Kanbaru and his problem with a ghost.

The style of animation is the same, and the plot, is more speak and less action, in this case, basketball, that is to say, the usual.

6/10.
Nov 17, 2016 12:06 AM

Sep 2015
RIP Numachi 😭😭😭

Suruga having short hair always suited her in my opinion.

Flashes of Shinobu , but no actual Shinobu 😭😭😭
Nov 25, 2016 8:22 AM

Mar 2013
It was great. I got teary-eyed towards the ending.

I wish Numachi stayed behind a little bit longer, to see her realization that she's actually a ghost and Kanbaru telling her how she actually felt about her.

The cinematography was creative and appealing as usual.
Been a while I was thrown into the pool of roundabout dialogues lol

Monogatari w/o Araragi didn't felt right. Glad he came towards the end and with his speech no less. But, I got to see my favorite tomboy Kanbaru's slender and sexy figure so it's alright haha
FinalFlash18Nov 25, 2016 8:37 AM
Nov 29, 2016 7:13 AM

Sep 2012
will they continue or was that final anime from Bakemonogatari series, cause Bakemonogatari was first i call it Bakemonogatari series
Dec 10, 2016 2:56 AM

Jul 2008
Yes Kanbaru is free of her curse. I wish she kept her hair, but I still love her anyway!

Gets an 8/10 for me. A solid outing in the series.
May 21, 2017 6:50 AM
May 2017
Huh, Araragi said that 3rd girl he cut hair? Who's the other 2 girls then and in which episodes did that happened? Monogatari have some very confusing series order, i probably missed some story arcs lol
Jul 4, 2017 1:27 PM
May 2012
she should have dunked the devil's head
and i like how araragi now has longer hair than the girls except shinobu
well, onto the next one
Jul 24, 2017 10:51 AM
Sep 2015
Didn't care much for the plot in this arc, but the dialogues and presentation were great as usual.

7/10
Aug 31, 2017 2:29 AM

Aug 2013
Finally done with this. Lovely Shinobu pictures.
Koyomi still the best though, he's still a siscon all the way.
Sep 10, 2017 4:42 PM

May 2014
Nooooo, Kanbaru looked so good with that long hair. Out of all the girls, she pulled off long hair the best...and now it's gone back to the tatty, short style. Like, at least get a cute, bob cut. ;-;

Numachi disappeared pretty suddenly too- I can't believe she had all those Devil parts!

This was a pretty interesting arc anyway...so what I basically got as the "moral" of the story is that it's okay to make decisions at the expense of others because in the end, it's impossible to please everyone. If you can't make decisions as yourself, then you can't look to those around you to replicate areas of their personality or decisions.
You are still allowed to be unsure within yourself because things are rarely an all or nothing gamble nor are they wholly good or bad.
Seems like Kanbaru finally fixed her problem fully though, and gets that all is well so long as you don't regret the actions you take.

I also loved the end scene with the cherry blossom right when Araragi cut her hair. Y'know, the whole- things change and feelings don't last- one day they'll just be memories...but that's okay. Basically the entire thing Kaiki stands for.

I wonder if Kanbaru will ever have another arc?? I mean, unlike a lot of the other characters, her story seems largely concluded, having faced her problems and coming to a complete acceptance of herself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2018 7:36 AM

Jun 2016
Let's start saying that i really liked Hanamogatari, of course i watched the full movie version in one go. Visuals are above average for monogatari stardards, and the feeling of a movie as a whole arc was really great. Some of my friends said that this is a bit of a plot heavy arc. I don't think it was boring tough, it caught my attention and curiosity for it's whole duration, i've even watched it a second time to write a better comment.

As usual, i especially like to speak of the "food for thoughts" this series give, so lets begin.

The arc starts with Kanbaru mentally speaking with her dead mother, which is considered a bad person. In "being the poison" i think she mean that it's better to crush others than to be crushed, but Kanbaru refuses this reasoning and wants to be different from her. Her mothers warns her that it will be hard: if you want too many things, you may obtaing nothing.

Kanbaru soon meets Numachi the Demon in this arc, and find her similiar to Araragi-senpai. This encounter officially stop the operate of the demon, which lasted for 3 years.

She did this "profession" for herself only, by meeting persons with bigger problems than her, she feels better. She just listen to them seriously, but on the inside she may laugh at them. After that, she do absolutely nothing. That's because, apart for extreme cases where she advices to contact autorities, she is avare that time heals every wound, and committing to face all your problems in one time only brings you damnation. This is her thought.

Suruga actually had a big price to pay for deciding to face her problems right away, not enduring for a better situation. Her demonic arm caused her a whole hell of problems.

After she hoped that someday, the arm will disappear, Numachi made that happen by stealing the demonic piece from her while she was groping her breast.

After this encounter, we have another moment of conversation with suruga's mother. This time i find it really accurate and true: to put a serious face while pondering things, is to be stupid, real winners face things as they come, directly. To worry is to waste time, and if you actually got that time, then you can use it to ACT. It's no use crying over spilled milk.

Man, SO TRUE YET HARD.

Suruga wakes up without her demonic arm, and is overjoyed. After school she will meet Kaiki, who was looking for her. Kaiki sees immediately through her and knows how she thinks: Some thing can never resolved by running away, and there are wounds that time will not heal (numachi physical wound for example).

Suruga has been warned against Kaiki, and tries to hate him, but she can't, he is really too kind with her, you could say even affectionate! After all suruga is the daughter of Kaiki's best friend and tutor. In the past, she asked to him to look after her child if something happened to her.

Kaiki brings something interesting to us: not always love is given back, and not always hate is responded with hate. Nobody and nothing is pure evil, every personality is totally different, and nobody is always coherent. We will find more of this later with our friend Numachi.

Kaiki is really affectionate with Suruga in many ways, this reveal his true face. I really like him, he is a great character!

Second encounter with Numachi: she still insist that running away is not always wrong, to face your problems is to jump right in to them, while avoiding them may not take away your happiness, on the contrary it can help you to accept your destiny and circumstances. She suffered from the hate that talent differences brings, she tried to hide her it as much as she could by starting a sport difficult for her. From soccer where she would use her foots, to basket where arms are used. She also played in defense to hide even more her incredible skill. She then hurted herself and was hospitalized.

After she got to hospital, a girl pretending to be her friend came to her, and asked her for advices. Both of them thought the condition of the other was worse than their personal one. Anyway, Numachi was delighted of her misfortunes since this reminded her she was not the only one to be suffering, she was not alone.

She then explain why her method works: the important thing is the relief she gave to that person by listening to her, by doing that, one stops to worry about his problems and goes on with their life, making those "obstacles" disappear quickly. A tombstone is mentioned, this may be a hint telling you that Numachi is already dead.

After this explanation, we talk again about absolute evil. It does not exist, and every baleful event is (often) needed to help something or someone. Also, every act of justice may hurt someone. So in the end, evil or good extremes may not exist at all.

Another interesting thing to mention is that Kaiki says that he do not believe on anomalies, even if they were clearly there in the series. Is this a hint too about the fact that they only exist in the characters psyche?

Suruga leaves Numachi, then proceeds to run until exahusted in the middle of the night.

She meets the now grown Araragi-Senpai.

He talks about how often we change ourselves to be liked by others, after all social acceptance is SO IMPORTANT for us. But beware, by adapting too much we risk to loose sight of many things.

Then they start talking about helping someone which is in a bad situation. Let's say this person is happy, even if she lives in misfortune. Suruga wonders if it is right to act just to tell that person how bad their situation is, potentially causing more problems.

Araragi has a simple yet effective solution: you must act if it bothers at least YOU.

To commit to something because you are worried is always a good thing.

As oshino said (and this IS the setting stone of the series)

Only You can help yourself. Suruga decides to act for her friend.

In their last encounter Numachi says she prefers to regret something she did not do. Well here i can answer thanks to my personal experience: it's usually better to regret something you did, rather than regret something you did not do, because you will never know what consequences your effort would have brought, you would not like to miss new opportunities and new happiness for yourself, right?

In the end Suruga meets her senpai again, and boy we talk of some deep shit here.

One of the most powerful yet simple truth in this arc lies near the end:

It does not matter to make a wish real, but what really matters is the fact itself to have a wish, a desire. Whatever it is a realistic one or not, we really need wishes, we can use them to know ourselves better and focus on what we truly desire. If you do not know what you want, what you want to be, or who you are, you will always loose the way on your life. This important point can make the difference between a life which has been lived and one where someone only survived.
This is a lesson essential for your life.
Apr 30, 2018 9:42 PM

Aug 2015
Of course Araragi's going to to end it off with incest jokes.
May 26, 2018 5:31 AM
Nov 2017
Good show but still not better than bake,nisi,neko, and second season
7/10
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tj_odee - Aug 19, 2014

110 by SouthRzVa »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

112 by TheColonel76 »»
Mar 28, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mills - Aug 16, 2014

73 by trinitroglycerin »»
Feb 5, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

56 by trinitroglycerin »»
Feb 5, 11:53 AM

» Is this really the true watch order?

Patefes - Jul 16, 2022

14 by INSANELYWP »»
Aug 1, 2023 12:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.