Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 16, 2014 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah good bye Numachi. It lasted well...

Welp, I will miss her of course after learning a bit more of her back story. I'm excited to see Kanbaru play basketball again. It's a fun game after all. Overall, I'm rating this 9/10. Pretty good series with creativity. Kanbaru is awesome.

Stark700Aug 17, 2014 9:00 PM
Aug 16, 2014 5:01 AM

Apr 2013
And it’s over. Numachi and Kanbaru had another one on one match to decide who takes the devil’s parts and Kanbaru won. Was a little sad to see Numachi disappear. Looks like Araragi is still a huge siscon. The ending conversation when he was cutting Kanbaru's hair was really nice.
Aug 16, 2014 7:04 AM

Sep 2012
Sadly, no teaser for Kizu or Final Season there. Usually they do, certainly they did at the end of Nico Kuro when Season 2 was announced.
Aug 16, 2014 7:55 AM
Oct 2009
Well, it was good! Not my favorite arc, but it was pretty good. I'd read the novel just recently so the whole time I was like "Aww man, they skipped that really funny line!" or "They skipped this part!!" and it didn't help the viewing experience hahaha. Also, without Kanbaru's inner dialogue, I found lots of part to be more vague, and it was hard to really understand her feelings.

...I'm still giving it a solid 8... 8.5
Aug 16, 2014 8:39 AM

Jun 2013
Wait, they don't have any teasers after this!? Oh DEAR...
Aug 16, 2014 8:47 AM
Oct 2012
Maybe huge announcement at Comiket?
Aug 16, 2014 1:50 PM

Sep 2012
Suzie said:
Well, it was good! Not my favorite arc, but it was pretty good. I'd read the novel just recently so the whole time I was like "Aww man, they skipped that really funny line!" or "They skipped this part!!" and it didn't help the viewing experience hahaha. Also, without Kanbaru's inner dialogue, I found lots of part to be more vague, and it was hard to really understand her feelings.

...I'm still giving it a solid 8... 8.5
Agreed, I read it a while ago and was re-reading it recently in anticipation and when they skip some scenes in a 2 hour show it is disappointing but that's how adaptations go... they can't put it all in the show.

Still good. As you say, not the strongest arc in the franchise but good to see and hear Kanbaru and Koyomi and of course especially Kaiki again. Digging the new hair and beard styles too LOL!

Clean end card:

Here's hoping they announce something at Comiket or perhaps on the wraparound belt on Zoku when it comes out September 19th.
Aug 16, 2014 2:49 PM

Sep 2012
It was good that they gave it five episodes. Still a shame some second season arcs were short changed and crammed into 4 episodes.

And it was very detailed. Looking forward to seeing the finished product September 24 on Bluray, already ordered.

Very detailed. Veins in one of Kanbaru's classmate's boobs:
hpulleyAug 16, 2014 3:31 PM
Aug 18, 2014 6:03 PM

Nov 2013
I thought Kanbaru was faster than that, from what I saw in previous seasons. Seriously...wtf? Ougi using a bike backward was faster than her.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Aug 19, 2014 9:29 AM

Mar 2010
Yeah. Best adaptation so far, animation and content wise.
Aug 19, 2014 6:17 PM

Dec 2013
mugi said:
I skipped the ED during the stream and watched it later. Kinda sad to see those scenes after everything's done... Doesn't help either to think that this was basically the series' end.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think its been confirmed that this is the end of the adaption. the LN series certainly goes a least another season worth of material, and financially it seems like the series is still doing really well.
Aug 19, 2014 7:15 PM

Oct 2012
I really enjoyed it. Not the strongest arc but not the weakest either. I really hope more gets announced sooner rather than later so I can begin anticipating all over again.
Aug 19, 2014 7:34 PM

Nov 2013
The content got stronger and stronger as it went along for me at least, really enjoyable watch.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 19, 2014 8:11 PM

Feb 2012
Araragi seems so much more mature now, except when he said what his wish would be.. lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2014 8:33 PM

Nov 2013
Araragi with long hairs really surprised me but looked more mature. I prefered Kaiki with his shaven face, he looked even more emotionless, here he looks like an old teacher or an uncle. And I loved Kanbaru's long hair.

Story was good, not fantastic but solid. And as for the visuals, it's Shaft, I like their style as usual.
Aug 19, 2014 8:50 PM

Aug 2012
Really came full circle the last two episodes and finished strong, the benefit of being released separately and henceforth getting five eps.

But come on, Kizu teaser wheeere
Aug 19, 2014 10:09 PM

Apr 2013
I really enjoyed [i]Hanamonogatari[/i] and much of the dialogue (and that Kanbaru-service!!) was superb throughout. It was great to finally get a huge focus on Kanbaru Suruga as a character and flesh out herself, her past and her continuing issues because I feel as though she never got the focus that she deserved in her previous arc and episodes. Numachi acted as a great foil to Kanbaru (or as a mirror if you payed attention more closely later on). It was interesting to hear her takes on her "misfortune" and "devil" collecting.

That being said, Hanamonogatari was a little light on action, variety and progression at least until we got to the last 2 episodes or so. Also, the twist wasn't all that big of a shocker for me either. I never got really hit with the feels at any point like I did during Second Series or Bakemonogatari but the ending dialogue with Araragi was pretty nice and relatively touching. It was a nice journey to see the progression of Kanbaru's character into accepting her decisions, wishes and herself. This was not my favorite arc but it seemed like SHAFT adapted it about as well as they could from the story in the LN.

The art and animation was beautiful without a doubt with plenty of head turns, delectable fanservice (I pray to God that Kanbaru eventually swings the other way eventually) and spectacular backdrops (the "sinking" basketball court for the win). This was definitely some of SHAFT's best work in terms of imagination and variety here just based upon the source. I guess the problem was that there just wasn't much to really animate or really go off of.

I'll give this a solid 8/10 (maybe a bit higher) and I'd probably put this around the same level or higher than Nekomonogatari: Kuro and obviously better than Nisemonogatari. Doesn't come close to Bake or the perfection of Second Series. Now, bring on Kizu! There are no more excuses left.

I'll leave the end card here as my last memory of Hanamonogatari and Kanbaru's journey. Just beautiful.

[spoiler][spoiler]
dankzelAug 19, 2014 10:18 PM
Aug 19, 2014 10:26 PM

Jun 2013
I'll just quote my post from the other thread

Javyer said:
I found it strange to see Araragi driving a car. He looks a lot more mature than before, up to the point that it annoys me a little. I like a lot how he is, but seeing him like that made me feel that his youth ended, and with his youth, so does mine. Araragi became my favorite character from the beginning because I could always feel myself related to him. I don't know. This episode left me empty. Too many things.

Also, Kanbaru is one of my favorites characters, so I really enjoyed the series. Her embarrassment face was so kawaii

I really hope that the series end so I can finally read the books without feeling guilty. But at the same time I don't want them to end.
Aug 19, 2014 10:38 PM

Jun 2013
I wonder if popular fan opinion will demand for spin-offs and continuations after the novels are done this fall...
Aug 19, 2014 11:15 PM
Aug 2013
I'm not sure if I really understand... If someone could explain to me, what was it exactly that Kanbaru was "struggling to deal with" (which was what she and Araragi were talking about in his car)? Was it the decision to
If so, what does that have to do with Kanbaru's character, emotional state, etc? How does that affect her at all?

I want to like this arc as much as I have liked the past Monogatari anime series, however I don't know if I understand Kanbaru's situation well enough to say that I liked it.

Edit: Same with the Kanbaru's relationship with her mother... Can someone explain like I'm 5?
PlopasaurusAug 19, 2014 11:22 PM
Aug 19, 2014 11:18 PM

Apr 2013
Pretty good. I really like Kanbaru, I'm glad she got her own series.
I liked episode 1,2,3 and 5. 4 was sort of a bore.

Watching Kaiki run was fucking golden, his beard is amazing.

Can't say i'm going to miss Numachi.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 19, 2014 11:27 PM
Mar 2011
i feel like this is a prelude to something more. maybe future novels with kanbaru as main. ive never read any of the readings. but her being a "Gaen" need to be explored, same with her mother and that Ougi guy, wasnt he a chic before? also, they rarely name people, unless they play a main part, in this entire series. Its always "that girl" or "this guy" but somehow that girl who gave numachi the devil leg, her name was mentioned several times. will she get explored too?
oh yeah, im sure theyll eventually explain how kaiki recovered from that injury at the end of the second season.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Aug 19, 2014 11:34 PM
Mar 2011
Plopasaurus said:
I'm not sure if I really understand... If someone could explain to me, what was it exactly that Kanbaru was "struggling to deal with" (which was what she and Araragi were talking about in his car)? Was it the decision to
If so, what does that have to do with Kanbaru's character, emotional state, etc? How does that affect her at all?

I want to like this arc as much as I have liked the past Monogatari anime series, however I don't know if I understand Kanbaru's situation well enough to say that I liked it.

Edit: Same with the Kanbaru's relationship with her mother... Can someone explain like I'm 5?

i believe it was because Kanbaru is finally free of the devil hand and should she just accept it and live a normal life OR help Numachi ascend. Numachi said it herself, they'll never see each again. I guess Kanbaru just didnt like the idea that shes out there collecting. Her decision to help was because she idolizes Araragi always helping people out

As for her mother, (and this is all just from the series, as ive never read the books), nothing much have been said other than the monkey paw was from her and she gave it to Sugara. thats why at the end of this one she wondered if that was a reason why her mother gave it to her.

gotta give it to Kaiki as well, he sent the head to Sugara, probably because he knows shes the only person who can get rid of his competition. LOL
"....i am the villain in this story"
Aug 19, 2014 11:55 PM
Aug 2013
amginex said:
Plopasaurus said:

i believe it was because Kanbaru is finally free of the devil hand and should she just accept it and live a normal life OR help Numachi ascend. Numachi said it herself, they'll never see each again. I guess Kanbaru just didnt like the idea that shes out there collecting. Her decision to help was because she idolizes Araragi always helping people out

As for her mother, (and this is all just from the series, as ive never read the books), nothing much have been said other than the monkey paw was from her and she gave it to Sugara. thats why at the end of this one she wondered if that was a reason why her mother gave it to her.

gotta give it to Kaiki as well, he sent the head to Sugara, probably because he knows shes the only person who can get rid of his competition. LOL

But at the end, isn't she still free of the hand, regardless of her decision about Numachi? And I suppose that second part makes sense, that she should want to help Numachi selflessly, following Araragi's example.

I suppose what I mean is that i don't really understand Kanbaru's "dilemma" (this also relates to her relationship with her mother). In the beginning and end of the show, Kanbaru supposedly talks to her mother in a dream about water, where her mother says if she is not medicine (referring to a force of good in the world), then she should be poison (referring to evil). Kanbaru suggests that she wants to become hot water, which I understand to mean somewhere inbetween medicine and poison, so what does this actually mean, and how does it relate to her "dilemma"?

Tl;dr what is the problem she is having to face / run away from?

Super confused >.>
Aug 19, 2014 11:55 PM

Jan 2008
Since I marathoned through all of it back to back, it was hard to tell which "episode" (if you can call them that), that I should write my comments on, so I'll just post one, for the last ep:

Yay, Kaiki is revealed to not be dead after all! Although we still never find out how he survived an attack from a cursed child beating him til he bled pools of blood. I guess we can just assume the cursed child (that was rejected by Nadeko) was still in the end, a child...and thus was too weak to finish the job, or something along those lines.

I kind of like how as time pass, each character goes through some kind of hair-related change, Araragi included. Which is too bad in the end, I really liked Suruga's long hair. Charlie Brown/Peanuts-reference spotted! How fitting that he's driving a yellow Beetle. What generous parents to give him enough money for a car as a graduation gift. I love the little power-puff girls art-style Shinobu keychain attached to Araragi's car key. I'd totally buy if they make merchandise out of it.

Eww...that reveal of the head.

Holy shit....Numachi Rouka was
That was a pretty staple urban legend type of twist, but still well executed. Them feels....makes me feel really sad for Numachi Rouka, and what she must have been through 3 years ago when she was still "alive". I'm glad she was able to properly "pass on" though.

I admit, I was all smiles when Numachi said she wanted to kiss Suruga. Suruga was right, Numachi was cute.

Was Suruga talking to her mom's spirit in her dreams? That sounds like the most likely scenario.

This arc was one hell of a great ride, and I loved the ending too. I have high hopes for the next one as well, hoping it can make me just as "full" with satisfaction as this arc did.

Estoy_GordoAug 20, 2014 12:03 AM
Aug 20, 2014 2:10 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I never cease to be amazed at how much wasted potential Monogatari seems to have, and this entry sure as hell didn't do anything to help me feel otherwise :(

5/10
Aug 20, 2014 2:26 AM

Mar 2010
HaXXspetten said:
I never cease to be amazed at how much wasted potential Monogatari seems to have, and this entry sure as hell didn't do anything to help me feel otherwise :(

5/10

"wasted potential"
care to elaborate? What is actually your expectation, if not wholely, of just this arc?
Aug 20, 2014 2:43 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
yukaru00 said:
HaXXspetten said:

5/10

"wasted potential"
care to elaborate? What is actually your expectation, if not wholely, of just this arc?
Nah my expectations on this particular arc were about what I got, I.E. very average and nothing more. My hype for the series kind of died long ago so I don't expect that much anymore. As a whole though I love the art style and don't think the concept was bad initially, but since the beginning every single arc just feels like a repeat of the last one. There's no sense of overall progression, and as a result every arc feels almost meaningless as they (almost) return to the status quo afterwards (few exceptions of course). Above all though I *really* don't like the way the story treats its heroines. Basically every arc consists of a) some girl's life getting messed up because of an oddity of some sort, b) Araragi helping her out until things get sorted out, c) The girl gets pushed aside as if nothing happened and then restart from a). Despite the fact that there are so many sort-of main heroines in the series, the only characters that are ever relevant at any point in time are Araragi (as the protag), Shinobu (because she's stuck with him) and the heroine who's arc they're currently on (add Kaiki too if he's involved at the time). Everyone else sort of just vanishes for no apparant reason, hell even Senjougahara who's supposed to be Araragi's girlfriend got pushed aside for like 20+ episodes over the consecutive arcs at some point. Since there are so many girls to focus on one at a time and since the arcs are so long, any sort of character development simply gets forcefully halted all the time as the girls never get any proper screentime (Shinobu being the only exception). I wish the series had one consecutive longer story instead and that it didn't utilize any sort of story arcs altogether because they've really killed the enjoyment value of the show from start to finish for me.
Aug 20, 2014 3:17 AM

Jul 2014
Can someone tell me how far we are into the series comparing to the light novel?

Also has the light novel ended or are we expecting this series to go into the 100's of episodes?

- Thanks in advance.
"Hi!"
Aug 20, 2014 3:17 AM

Jul 2014
The best adaption this season imo. It was really good, i enjoyed it a lot.
Oh and that glorious beard.
Aug 20, 2014 3:40 AM

Mar 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Nah my expectations on this particular arc were about what I got, I.E. very average and nothing more. My hype for the series kind of died long ago so I don't expect that much anymore. As a whole though I love the art style and don't think the concept was bad initially, but since the beginning every single arc just feels like a repeat of the last one. There's no sense of overall progression, and as a result every arc feels almost meaningless as they (almost) return to the status quo afterwards (few exceptions of course). Above all though I *really* don't like the way the story treats its heroines. Basically every arc consists of a) some girl's life getting messed up because of an oddity of some sort, b) Araragi helping her out until things get sorted out, c) The girl gets pushed aside as if nothing happened and then restart from a). Despite the fact that there are so many sort-of main heroines in the series, the only characters that are ever relevant at any point in time are Araragi (as the protag), Shinobu (because she's stuck with him) and the heroine who's arc they're currently on (add Kaiki too if he's involved at the time). Everyone else sort of just vanishes for no apparant reason, hell even Senjougahara who's supposed to be Araragi's girlfriend got pushed aside for like 20+ episodes over the consecutive arcs at some point. Since there are so many girls to focus on one at a time and since the arcs are so long, any sort of character development simply gets forcefully halted all the time as the girls never get any proper screentime (Shinobu being the only exception). I wish the series had one consecutive longer story instead and that it didn't utilize any sort of story arcs altogether because they've really killed the enjoyment value of the show from start to finish for me.

Thank you. Nice knowing other person's perspective of this series.
Aug 20, 2014 3:49 AM

Aug 2010
Good conclusion ^^

Lol'd at how Numachi was pissed at Kaiki's scam with how he actually had the head XD

The game was pretty nicely done. Loved the way Suruga "won" Totally didn't expect she'd pass steal and dunk hehe. Good stuff ^^

Dem Yuri vibes after that were quite cute :3

And Oh Koyomi, u and ur incestious fetish XD Always gets me XD Saying he's getting turned on by his sisters when stripping them XD And wishing about not being blood related with Karen then changing his mind since it won't be incest anymore lol XD

And Suruga is the 3rd girl he cut hair for XD What a player indeed ^^; Loved his interactions with her.

All in all 9/10 :D I want more Monogatari >.<

Btw for LN readers, which part shows what Koyomi was doing during the Hanekawa arc? When he came at the last moment with the huge sword?
Aug 20, 2014 3:52 AM

Mar 2010
Barion-Zara said:
Btw for LN readers, which part shows what Koyomi was doing during the Hanekawa arc? When he came at the last moment with the huge sword?

That will be told later in the final season.
Aug 20, 2014 4:06 AM

May 2013
NOOOO. WHY DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR SURUGA? T^T

Well, what a great way to end Hanamonogatari. I loved the basketball match, Suruga and Rouka's convo and with Koyomi too. We had a 5 seconda showing Shinobu's pictures :> Byebye Rouka too.

I loved the ED. Me want to ship those two girls. Haha.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 20, 2014 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
Well, first of all I've to say that Araragi looked sexy as fk with dat long hair, but I still feel kinda sad knowing that his high-school life just ended like mine.

I liked Kanbaru personality from the previous seasons and I like it even more now.

I wanted to see Shinobu but the 4 pics of her at the last episode were good enough :D
LupeAug 20, 2014 4:46 AM
Aug 20, 2014 5:07 AM

Jul 2013
Numachi and Kanbaru having one final match
Kanbaru won, very nice.
LOL Araragi, you crazy siscon.
His wish XD
Gah, no teasers huh.
I wanted to see a bit of Shinobu in this too (other than the few images over like a second), but ah well.
Anyway, overall 9/10 for me.
SandyBoiAug 20, 2014 5:13 AM
Aug 20, 2014 5:13 AM
Sep 2011
One of the best installments this franchise has had yet so far. The extra time used for finishing this arc (resulting in the delay) definitely payed off as I don't think the Monogatari series has ever had such lush visuals. The directing was spot-on, using body language and facial expessions to its fullest extent to enhance the dialogue and to reveal subtext to what's not explicitly said on-screen which makes it such an wholesome experience to watch.

Overall it was probably the most dialogue-heavy and subdued arc so far since there wasn't any supernatural action per se but it worked in its favour as it made Suruga's story feel more like a classical coming-of-age story: She's going through drastic changes in her life and her encounters with Rouka work both contextually and metaphorically.

▶ It's nothing new that this show likes to explore its characters under the guise of the supernatural so Rouka could be seen as an externalization of Suruga's subconsciousness, a person from her past she has almost forgotten about and whom she now projects her own mental state onto which isn't as far-fetched as it might sound considering it has been stated before that oddities are shaped by the ones who believe and interact with them.
Suruga states that she can't stand looking at Rouka because she reminds her of herself or rather what could have become of her had things went differently and indeed there are striking similarities between them:
The Rouka that is presented to us is roaming the country, seemingly doing good deeds while actually taking delight in witnessing other people's misery. It's a very twisted way of thinking that's presented to us, similar to how in the "Suruga Monkey" arc in Bakemonogatari it was revealed that Suruga's optimistic and courteous behaviour belied feelings of resentment and bitterness and that her intentions weren't as altruistic as she gave off at first.
Both of them were forced to give up basketball and are interested in the same sex (the side-glances Suruga threw at Rouka throughout the episodes as well as the short innuendo on the baseketball court and the breast grab acculmulated to a rather high amount of sexual tension).

▶ I doubt it's a coincidence that Rouka popped up (risen from the depths of her subconscious?) right after her love-interest Senjougahara graduated and left the main picture since it seems like Rouka was an old crush of hers if the OP is any indication (though there were obviously more competivive feelings involved as well).

▶ Suruga's fear of being consumed by the demon's paw and constant worries of losing control (going as far as taping her arm to the walls of her room every night) is reversed in Rouka's case since she actively tries to become one with the demon's body parts not only using them to her advantage but actually finding purpose in her life by collecting these after her plans of pursuing a basketball professionally as a career got crushed. Rouka is more of a defensive player while Suruga is performing one Slam Dunk after another.

In fact Suruga's former love-hate relationship with Rouka serves as a perfect opportunity for her to battle her inner demons, in this case her dilemma of resolving things with her own hands or running away from her problems (her failure in doing so literally after she meets Kaiki for the first time probably forshadowed coming events) and let time take its course, a major theme of this arc. The morning when she woke up with her left arm returned to its former state was a case of a problem getting resolved with time which didn't require effort from her side but was ultimately unsatisfying after the first feelings of relief faded away.

▶ She states that her "arm is the symbol of the sins [she] bears" revealing that she still harbors feelings of guilt for her actions even though none of the people involved are likely to resent her for them (Araragi doesn't in any case) or even know she was the culprit of the assault cases to begin with. These feelings are engraved in her to such an extent that she feels like she has lost something essential even though she longed to get rid of the demon's hand so much.

▶ With these conflicted feeling in her mind we see her coming to terms with herself during her conversations with Kaiki and Koyomi. The former broadens her horizon as to not let rigid conceptions to cloud her mind and pigeonholing people into either good or evil ("Nobody is evil through and through.") and to accept inconsistencies in other people and herself. In the latter she admits to feeling insecure ("I feel like I've already lost so much.") and trying to define herself though Koyomi doesn't have a clear answer for that. He does encourage her to act upon her own feelings though instead to sit things out, an advice she takes to heart. So while losing the monkey arm she has become accustomed to has left Suruga empty and disoriented, in the end Suruga emerges as an improved and more determined person. She realizes that there's no need for her to be either medicine or poison but rather just herself.

▶ And just like that another two oddities have been purged (Rouka's ghost and the Monkey's Paw) thanks to Ougi Oshino's meddling who's still pulling strings from behind the scenes...
EudaimoniaAug 20, 2014 7:40 AM
Aug 20, 2014 6:55 AM

Feb 2012
That was really awesome, probably my favorite Monogatari arc thus far, it had everyone I like in the series.
Aug 20, 2014 7:00 AM

Jan 2011
The last episode felt so heartwarming to me. Also that ED gave me goosebumps. Kickass stuff.

Overall great, 8/10 would recommend
Aug 20, 2014 7:06 AM

Mar 2010
Eudaimonia said:

As always, your thoughts for every arc are really worth a read.
Aug 20, 2014 8:49 AM
May 2009
kuropa said:
so... will they ever show us why whoever attacked kaiki did? and how kaiki survived? is that gonna be in kizu? but isn't kizu the prequal to bake, so.. someone please put me out of my misery thanks :p

I doubt it'll be in Kizu. I'm thinking it'll be in the final novel, which IIRC was recently announced.
Aug 20, 2014 9:30 AM

Oct 2012
Awww.. Numachi :(

Lol "Rather, what turns me on is seeing my sisters naked"
"Usually when I strip them naked"

Shinobu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Araragi's wish is pretty simple...
Araragi & Karen not related by blood
All of those because of the toothbrush.. Toothbrush xD

Lol, Kanbaru's tsukkomi just perfect.. so perfect xD

The ED just so sad for me :(
I wish Kanbaru & Numachi were friends
"Signature removed"
Aug 20, 2014 10:55 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, I've missed this series so much. Hopefully they'll announce the final season soon. Maybe around the time the final novel will be released.

Was nice to watch an arc centred around Kanbaru for once. Really entertaining and a nice little story with satisfying conclusion. Not sure how this will fit in the bigger picture though considering that it's supposedly the final arc, chronologically-wise. We barely saw anything from our usual main characters.
Now that we were shown with Araragi with longer her, I'd have loved to also see Senjougahara with him. With longer hair again, that is.

Araragi, you little siscon, lol. And finally some adorable Shinobu shots <3.

This arc's highlight was definitely Kaiki's running scene and his beard, though. Lovely.

kuropa said:
so... will they ever show us why whoever attacked kaiki did? and how kaiki survived? is that gonna be in kizu? but isn't kizu the prequal to bake, so.. someone please put me out of my misery thanks :p

I don't think there needs to be any more explanation of those events as all the necessary information is already in the series.

>Who attacked Kaiki?
Back in Nadeko's arc in Bakemonogatari, she was being strangled by a snake or as it later turned out two snakes. The first one was cast by another girl from Nadeko's class out of jealousy as the boy she liked ended up confessing to Nadeko. The second one by the boy who confessed to Nadeko and was rejected. Both apparently consulted Kaiki and got the knowledge needed for the curse from him (he did rip of children with stuff like that as we found out in Nise).
The first snake was exorcised by Araragi, but as they didn't anticipate the second snake, he had no choice but to hurriedly force it off of Nadeko. As was explained by Oshino, these specific curses will return to and befall the original caster if not correctly exorcised. So the boy ended up being cursed and not knowing of what happened, blamed Kaiki for tricking him.
Once he found out that Kaiki was back in the city (probably from Ougi or so), he ambushed him. There we see the boy is still being strangled by a snake.

>How did he survive?
Don't think this needs to be "explained". The boy probably just thought Kaiki died on the spot / would die soon or didn't intent to kill him and left. So Kaiki probably came to by himself or was found later on. Just because he received a hit to the head and fainted doesn't mean he would definitely die. So imo, not worth covering.

It's been a while since then, but I think that's about it.
So you might just want to rewatch Nadeko's arc in Bake and the final episode of the second season.
JoekstarAug 20, 2014 10:59 AM
Aug 20, 2014 12:18 PM
Nov 2010
I'm interested in to how Kaiki survived.
As for this series, it was really enjoyable, as always. Araragi, Kaiki and Kanbaru looked really good. The animation was excellent during the whole Hanamonogatari series. I'm looking forward to the third season adaptation or Kizumonogatari.
Aug 20, 2014 12:38 PM

Apr 2014
Tomislavr7 said:
I'm interested in to how Kaiki survived.
As for this series, it was really enjoyable, as always. Araragi, Kaiki and Kanbaru looked really good. The animation was excellent during the whole Hanamonogatari series. I'm looking forward to the third season adaptation or Kizumonogatari.
lol everyone has been waiting for kizu

my guess is shaft will release it last
Aug 20, 2014 12:38 PM

Aug 2009
I liked the arc but it was by far the "weakest" one so far for me.

Question for LN readers.The first scenes i n the ED are actual flashback or just fanservice?It could actually pass as canon if not for the kiss scene.

And does Hitagi actually like Araragi's hair like this?
Aug 20, 2014 12:44 PM

Apr 2014
Loved it even more than the second season, both artwise and soundwise. The opening song was great, the dialogues were clever and the basketball game was absolutely fantastic. I disagree with those saying that this is the weakest arc of the monogatari series. I really liked Numachi Rouka as well she was pretty damn cool. I also liked Koyomi's hairstyle, it looks kinda awesome. Overally, I am gonna give this shiet a 10 out of 10 and move it to my favorites. All hail, Monogatari Series! Still waiting for Kizumonogatari. Please make it quick!
Aug 20, 2014 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Another very good entry. Animation was really beautiful in few of the scenes.
8/10
Now if godly Shaft would bring itself to do Kizu and Final Season.

ssjokg said:

Question for LN readers.The first scenes i n the ED are actual flashback or just fanservice?It could actually pass as canon if not for the kiss scene.

This got me wondering the same thing as well.
Aug 20, 2014 1:56 PM

Aug 2009
mugi said:
ssjokg said:

And does Hitagi actually like Araragi's hair like this?

He lets his hair grow to hide the bite marks on his neck. Hitagi is irrelevant.
The ED is most likely Nisio approved, Shaft wouldn't make up their own backstory without his agreement, I guess. Count it as canon or "could be".
I dont think he has to let them grow that much.

I would consider it canon if not for the kiss.No problem with the kiss itself but, in the anime at least, I dont think that such a relationship was implied.
Aug 20, 2014 3:12 PM

Mar 2013
Well... that was awesome.

Now to wait 5 more years for Kizumonogatari... but thinking about it, the worse part will be when it actually comes out but still have to wait 8/9 months for blu-rays.... le sigh.

Hopefully we'll have the 3rd season animated soon-ish, Summer/Fall 2015 maybe?!
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mills - Aug 16, 2014

74 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 20, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

57 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 19, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tj_odee - Aug 19, 2014

110 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 18, 3:31 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

112 by TheColonel76 »»
Mar 28, 6:20 PM

» Is this really the true watch order?

Patefes - Jul 16, 2022

14 by INSANELYWP »»
Aug 1, 2023 12:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.