Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2014 2:58 AM

Feb 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Eiichan lost and now will be interesting to see how his future pans out. I got to say I have to give it to the author for making him lose here. Not because it's an unexpected result but more because Eiichan barely survive the 2 matches before whom he felt the opponent was stronger than him in all aspects, except for his tactics. I think the semi final opponent said something similar to this too.
Aug 24, 2014 1:07 PM
Nov 2013
I wish the translators would just take off their work/university/school to translate to live (310 raw chapters out).

I'm learning Japanese for some months now (not seriously tho, just a bit for fun) and overread the part that takes place after Chapter 262 and the manga just keeps getting more awesome the further it is in the story!
Jun 6, 2016 2:06 AM

Nov 2011
Even though Kanda won the match, I'm still proud of the plays Marou made in this game. I'm sure he'll get another chance to shine in the future if he plays like that.
Jun 6, 2016 7:28 AM

Mar 2008
*Insert swearing here.*

I was worried they were going to go this route. And now here we are. Yet again Maruo falls short when it matters. Rather than Baby Steps his career is hitting stagnation. How could he even argue about going pro when he can't even reach the finals at this stage? He's improving but so are his opponents and while he growth appears impressive it's still not enough to seriously close the distance on where he needs to go.

I think the point was made for various of his opponents. What future is there for a player who can't win? Has Maruo ever gotten to win a tournament of any real significance so far?

Guess now we'll see how things turn out. A frustrating turn of events. This will be depressing as hell as we have to watch the MC basically give up on everything he loves.
Jun 6, 2016 12:29 PM

Mar 2016
Crap .I really wanted this guy to win .Even if it was an asspull .
Jun 7, 2016 3:04 AM

Mar 2015
the series that literaly make me hope he can actually win a game even by bullshit reason... seriusly, the authos is sadist.. 70 chapter for losing...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 7, 2016 9:55 AM

Feb 2015
Damn. He lost. Well I knew it was going to happen but it doesn't make it any better. At this rate he has no realistic change of arguing to go pro.
Jun 7, 2016 10:03 AM

Apr 2012
FlareKnight said:
*Insert swearing here.*

I was worried they were going to go this route. And now here we are. Yet again Maruo falls short when it matters. Rather than Baby Steps his career is hitting stagnation. How could he even argue about going pro when he can't even reach the finals at this stage? He's improving but so are his opponents and while he growth appears impressive it's still not enough to seriously close the distance on where he needs to go.

I think the point was made for various of his opponents. What future is there for a player who can't win? Has Maruo ever gotten to win a tournament of any real significance so far?

Guess now we'll see how things turn out. A frustrating turn of events. This will be depressing as hell as we have to watch the MC basically give up on everything he loves.

100+ RAW chapters tells me it won't end any time soon.
Jun 7, 2016 10:10 AM

Mar 2008
Adviel said:
100+ RAW chapters tells me it won't end any time soon.

We certainly know the story won't end any time soon, but I'm not sure from this chapter that it should still be going that far. In reality he has fallen short yet again. Based on his promises and his major failure to even reach the final here...he probably should be done.

Just wonder how many of those chapters it will take before he can attain real success as a player.
Jun 7, 2016 11:22 PM

Feb 2008
I wonder if he'll detour through college now. It'd be a complete waste of his time and energy, but his mom would probably approve of it and she's the main obstacle to his career.

I hope the translations pick up speed, or at least start releasing at a consistent rate. With the massive delays we're having to put up with, its hard to maintain an interest in the series in spite of how good it is.

Failing that, I hope another group that's actually willing to translate at a decent speed and quality will steal it from them. I don't know how their consciences can allow them to take money for translating this series when they're doing such a crap job on delivering.
Jun 14, 2016 1:33 AM

May 2013
and... that very frustrating for me. wonder how that feel for maruo.
this manga too real.
Jul 25, 2016 3:43 PM

Jul 2011
Such a long damn match and miraculous 13-11 (wtf srsly) and Maruo still loses. #$%^&* WHY.

Though I guess Maruo following through on his initial plan would be an asspull. :/
Nov 26, 2016 2:46 AM

Jun 2011
Terrible match, the only good thing about this match was the fact that Ei-chan lost. It started with Kanda having the lead of 5-1 in the first round, all of the sudden it ended up being a tie? So what, you're telling me that Maruo had no answer to Kanda's shot and he still broke Kanda's serving game twice in a row?

Ever since the best of 16, I felt that the mangaka tries too hard to keep Maruo's game a close one, it's one tie after another, it's ridiculous. Not just that, I couldn't keep up with the power ranking anymore with Maruo, it's like this guy pulls out something he has never done before and luck is actually most of the time in his favor. So he saw his opponent use a technique in his previous match, a few days later he actually managed to pull it off with decent efficiency? What?

I know people like to preach about this manga being realistic, well the anime was, to a certain extent, but being realistic =/= being dragged out. I've basically skimmed through all the Ei-chan "monologue" in game, I don't play tennis, I don't understand what's going on even if I read it, and even if I read it, the author pulls something out of Ei-chan ass to make something ridiculous happen. I used to root hard for Ei-chan because he actually loses when he's supposed to, and I cheer harder for him to win. Nowadays, he's no longer that underdog that I loved.

The romance is also really cringey, it can be really cute sometimes, but the level of innocence is getting on my nerve. Who cares about being embarrassed when your partner has just lost a match that decide his future career.

This is seriously making me reflect my opinion on the anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 17, 2018 8:08 PM
Oct 2016
WOW really great. What a stupid match. I didn't care if he losses to Nabae (Indeed, I wanted Maruo to lose to him) But losing to this annoying piece of shit. Fuck everything I want to beat the shit out of anything to calm myself. FUCK FUCK FUCK (Sorry to everyone reading this)

I will read two more chapters and then consider to drop this shit.

Can someone tell if it is worth keep reading further?

PS. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Jan 3, 2021 6:32 AM

Apr 2016
I don’t agree with this choice, let him lose here is a big missed chance to have another interesting match against Nabae. Kanda was a pretty bland rival to lost to, I’m very disappointed.
Sep 15, 2023 8:38 PM

May 2020
Damn, he actually lost. I was 100% expecting a rematch with Nabae. Still, there’s like 200 chapters left and his path to pro tennis is a lot more feasible, if long winded, than when he made his promise to his mom.
Oct 12, 2023 9:50 AM
Jan 2014
I understand now why this series was cancelled, no matter as realistic as you want to be making him lose this game after more than 30 chapters, after all the previous defeats and had antecipated what would happen if he reached the final is just torture the readers, lol! If that were a seinen I would understand, but in a shonen magazine is no surprise the audience dropped with time.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 455 Discussion

Kuma - May 22, 2023

7 by Pilowsoficalkapa »»
Feb 6, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 268 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2016

10 by AoiroBlueColor »»
Jan 30, 11:26 AM

» Why does MAL list 462 chapters when the manga ends at 455?

Sker - Nov 4, 2023

0 by Sker »»
Nov 4, 2023 4:01 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 368 Discussion

Kuma - Mar 9, 2020

3 by TitanInsane »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:46 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 234 Discussion

julyan - Jan 31, 2014

32 by TitanInsane »»
Sep 15, 2023 8:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.