Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 22, 2014 4:38 PM

Jan 2013
Again, DONT SKIP FILLERS.
One Piece is like the god of "filler" episodes, making it actually enjoyable, and I didnt even think about what could be fillers, that's how good they were!

If you want the full experience, watch every single episode.
Aug 23, 2014 2:57 AM

Oct 2010
Grunbeld said:
Tylerr said:
Skip Enies lobby?

Someone is on drugs.

Yeah it felt like filler. Lacked real substance other arcs had

Your definition of "lack of substance" is weird and scary, sir.
jal90Aug 23, 2014 3:02 AM
Aug 23, 2014 3:50 AM

Jan 2013
jal90 said:
Grunbeld said:

Lol I know right ...
Aug 23, 2014 7:56 AM

Oct 2010
I wouldn't be myself if I didn't eat some baits for fun, from time to time.
Aug 23, 2014 4:30 PM

Jan 2014
jal90 said:
Grunbeld said:

Yeah... None of that was relevat to the plot. Not even the bounties anymore.
And these points you mentioned did occur but... Lacked substance themselves. So what? Increasing passive power level/bounty is deep/progression now? Of so, then meh.

Except for Robin's story which I did mention.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2014 4:35 PM

Jan 2014
Fullmetal89 said:
tr1ckst3r said:
You Know what you miss if you skipped Enies Lobby arc?

Yeah I don't know what 'substance' Grunbeld felt he was missing...that arc was quintessential One Piece. It had some filler thrown in and the fights where a bit dragged but it was still very important to the plot. It's basically a turning point for the Straw Hats, the first time the specifically targeted the WG.

I meant it was straight up filler fights. Even the final battle felt like filler even though it wasn't.
Some generic moments here and there, the show not taking itself seriously, the lack of tension and overflow of fights was a bad combo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2014 5:02 PM

Oct 2010
I don't know which is your definition of plot progression. And I certainly don't care if you are not even trying to explain it. Enies Lobby affects the storyline of the series. It solves conflicts and creates other ones, it sets a situation. I don't even believe that it has to be a major arc in length like Enies Lobby. Anything that is part of the canon is part of the plot and timeline progression.

By the way, it's you who has mentioned depth. And it's you as well who has defined substance as something that is interesting to you. The problem comes when you try to convince people to skip an arc that is essential to the story, just because you didn't like it.
Aug 23, 2014 5:04 PM

Mar 2014
You'd probably be better off skipping to the end and watch something good instead.
Aug 23, 2014 7:32 PM

May 2013
Don't skip the first 50 episodes, they are pretty important! The Arlong arc is one of the best arcs in the whole show which starts on episode 31. The first 31 episodes do a good job in introducing the story and characters.

Aug 24, 2014 5:25 AM

Jan 2014
jal90 said:
I don't know which is your definition of plot progression. And I certainly don't care if you are not even trying to explain it. Enies Lobby affects the storyline of the series. It solves conflicts and creates other ones, it sets a situation. I don't even believe that it has to be a major arc in length like Enies Lobby. Anything that is part of the canon is part of the plot and timeline progression.

By the way, it's you who has mentioned depth. And it's you as well who has defined substance as something that is interesting to you. The problem comes when you try to convince people to skip an arc that is essential to the story, just because you didn't like it.

Plot progression: basically just because you can use a verb doesn't make it progression.
One Piece world was unaffected by it whatsoever. Not everything has to have a worldwide effect, but Enjes Lobby was set up as a way to introduce a grander scheme, or introduce Strawhats into one.

The fall of CP and challenging the world did absolutely nothing. Having a buster call did nothing. Ace vs Teach had more progression than this entire arc.
Because they spend too much time focusing on showcasing lots of fights they forgot to effectively weave it into the story. Thus why I say it has no story. It was just a disjointed battle royale.
The entire story arc could be in an alternate dimension and the only thing missing would be a few deus ex machinas.

I never said It's inessential just because I wasn't interested.
I wasn't interested BECAUSE it was inessential. (Well, one of the reasons).

Now, as far as characterization goes, we got Robin's flashback... And if we count W7, Ussop and Luffy's conflict. That's a few chapters' worth within a 100.

In other words, this arc would have done with 20 chapters to solve the same conflicts if they were to set aside the fillerish fights without losing content. In fact being more consistent and coherent.
Aug 24, 2014 6:54 AM

Oct 2010
Judals (I'll keep calling you judals :P), use spoiler tags, please. I'm trying because the OP hasn't watched the stuff we are talking about and he probably doesn't want to know further. That said, on topic:

Aug 24, 2014 10:09 AM

Apr 2014
No Plot progression huh? let's see.
Aug 27, 2014 4:11 PM

Jan 2014
jal90 said:
Judals (I'll keep calling you judals :P), use spoiler tags, please. I'm trying because the OP hasn't watched the stuff we are talking about and he probably doesn't want to know further. That said, on topic:

Lol call me whatever.
But... Thinking more of them is kind of a shonen trope, and is definitely not a big enough thing compared to the arc's scale.

Aug 28, 2014 10:37 AM
Dec 2010
For anyone saying that you "should" skip any episode from this epic anime i lack proper word's... facepalm would be correct reaction.
Aug 28, 2014 3:00 PM

Jul 2013
Grunbeld said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Yeah I don't know what 'substance' Grunbeld felt he was missing...that arc was quintessential One Piece. It had some filler thrown in and the fights where a bit dragged but it was still very important to the plot. It's basically a turning point for the Straw Hats, the first time the specifically targeted the WG.

I meant it was straight up filler fights. Even the final battle felt like filler even though it wasn't.
Some generic moments here and there, the show not taking itself seriously, the lack of tension and overflow of fights was a bad combo.
Are you forgetting that Luffy's father/grandfather were revealed in the Enies Lobby?

Mod Edit: HxH has no discussion here. Don't try to bait.
TyrelAug 28, 2014 3:35 PM
Aug 29, 2014 9:01 AM

Aug 2014
Skipping the first 50 episodes is like ruining your enjoyment for the episodes after it. but if your reading the manga then you probably won't reach inconsistency while watching it.
Aug 30, 2014 4:00 AM

Jan 2014
Novalogic said:
For anyone saying that you "should" skip any episode from this epic anime i lack proper word's... facepalm would be correct reaction.

Okay skipping enies may sound controversial to some, but what about Davy Back? Can anyone actually vote against it? And before you mention
, I'm talking about the davy back segment itself, where he had no part. The games alone.
That's definitely skippable. Even sawyer7mage, a huge fan, was for the idea.
Aug 30, 2014 5:57 AM

Jul 2013
Grunbeld said:
Novalogic said:

Okay skipping enies may sound controversial to some, but what about Davy Back? Can anyone actually vote against it? And before you mention
, I'm talking about the davy back segment itself, where he had no part. The games alone.
That's definitely skippable. Even sawyer7mage, a huge fan, was for the idea.
I skipped it, that arc was a pile of horseshit. Worse than Fishman Island.

I also have yet to watch Thriller Bark just because I'm lazy. I skipped it originally because the start made me feel like I was watching Scooby Doo or something.
Aug 30, 2014 11:36 AM

Oct 2010
@Grunbeld

On the Davy Back Fight...
jal90Aug 30, 2014 2:07 PM
Aug 30, 2014 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
One piece fillers are so good (not all of them) I can't even tell if they're fillers.
"Hi!"
Aug 30, 2014 2:56 PM
Dec 2010
One piece is arguably best manga and anime created ever, and similarily to dragon ball, when it finally ends, fans will demand more and more. They will watch it all over again, they will create doujinshi, perhaps we'll get to see some new movies after the series end only to see more of our favourite characters. And here you are, most likely some other anime die hard fanboys / fangirls, saying that someone should skip this episode, another he / she should watch... It's a luxury that such a great story is developed in hundreds of chapters / episodes, and you should be happy you can see it.

No one is going to convince you. Go on, watch something else, however don't mislead people who perhaps have not read / watch One Piece yet, since it's for they're own well understood interest to see all of it.
Aug 30, 2014 6:10 PM

Jul 2013
Novalogic said:
One piece is arguably best manga and anime created ever
Arguably? Subjectively.
Aug 30, 2014 6:22 PM
Sep 2013
Read manga first part and then change to anime.

I think first part is very important to enjoy later parts especially one piece bring up older chapters often.

umashikanekoAug 30, 2014 6:30 PM
Aug 31, 2014 2:51 AM
Dec 2010

No, not subjectively. You could say so if someone stated it about new, or not so popular series but deffinitely not about One Piece.
Aug 31, 2014 2:58 AM
Jun 2014
Skipping would just ruin the series in my opinion. At least read the manga if your definitely not going to watch it.
Dem anime hipsters tho 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Aug 31, 2014 4:12 AM

Jul 2013
Novalogic said:

No, not subjectively. You could say so if someone stated it about new, or not so popular series but deffinitely not about One Piece.
No, subjectively.

If Justin Bieber has more fans than Robbie Williams, does that mean Justin Bieber is better? No, and nor does it mean he is worse, it just means that my opinion is that Justin Bieber sucks horse dick, and that Robbie Williams is god. That is SUBJECTIVE.

Popularity =/= Quality, because "quality" will ALWAYS be subjective, whether you like it or not.
MinagatachiAug 31, 2014 4:16 AM
Aug 31, 2014 7:07 AM

Jun 2014
If you are skipping episodes that aren't filler you're doing it WRONG. It's not a race to catch up. You're missing a lot of character development, background, and plot. It ruins the experience.
Previously: BlueXRam
Aug 31, 2014 11:00 AM
Dec 2010
Novalogic said:

No one is going to convince you. Go on, watch something else, however don't mislead people who perhaps have not read / watch One Piece yet, since it's for their own well understood interest to see all of it.

And that would be the last of me
NovalogicAug 31, 2014 11:06 AM
Aug 31, 2014 11:12 AM

Sep 2011
Minagatachi said:
Novalogic said:

No, subjectively.

If Justin Bieber has more fans than Robbie Williams, does that mean Justin Bieber is better? No, and nor does it mean he is worse, it just means that my opinion is that Justin Bieber sucks horse dick, and that Robbie Williams is god. That is SUBJECTIVE.

Popularity =/= Quality, because "quality" will ALWAYS be subjective, whether you like it or not.

I think the word you are looking for is 'taste' which is in fact subjective. The quality of the manga is reflected by its sales, in the case of One Piece it has sold about 33% more volumes than the second highest selling manga. Regardless of how you look at it when it comes to success, One Piece has no rivals. The fact that it's still going strong after 17 years and 74 volumes is a testament to it's popularity and quality.
Aug 31, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
Minagatachi said:
No, subjectively.

I think the word you are looking for is 'taste' which is in fact subjective. The quality of the manga is reflected by its sales, in the case of One Piece it has sold about 33% more volumes than the second highest selling manga. Regardless of how you look at it when it comes to success, One Piece has no rivals. The fact that it's still going strong after 17 years and 74 volumes is a testament to it's popularity and quality.
Quality is not reflected by sales. Some manga get higher amounts of exposure than other manga do, whether they deserve it or not. Higher exposure = Higher popularity.
Sep 1, 2014 5:05 AM

Apr 2014
Minagatachi said:

If Justin Bieber has more fans than Robbie Williams, does that mean Justin Bieber is better? No, and nor does it mean he is worse, it just means that my opinion is that Justin Bieber sucks horse dick, and that Robbie Williams is god.

this explain pretty much about Popularity =/= Quality.
Sep 1, 2014 8:06 PM

Dec 2012
Novalogic said:

What a shameless ad populum.
Sep 1, 2014 8:56 PM

Jan 2014
Glad we could agree in the end that One Piece is objectively the best.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Oct 2010
You have to watch them, they form part of the serie.

Sep 3, 2014 7:42 AM

Jan 2014
jal90 said:
@Grunbeld

On the Davy Back Fight...

Very small consequences. I mean fake strawhats was somewhat fillerish... Is that all the arc could bring about? Things that are so irrelevant they could be skipped as well?

Just to compare

I don't see the conclusiveness being the issue here though.
Sep 3, 2014 4:31 PM

Oct 2010
Very silly comparison if you ask me. In the One Piece world, things are not tightly connected. The scenario is a vast ocean with hundreds of islands in there. When the Straw Hats earn a certain reputation, that means that the marines will make their journey more difficult. But it is very rare to follow their trace, it's extremely rare to have close encounters at sea and therefore, if both parts are not actively searching for it, their encounters will be sporadic. Take into account that the Straw Hats are not interested on causing a riot. The consequences you are asking for seem to fit better the scenario of a direct confrontation. You can't expect a war to happen if one of the sides only appears sporadically and under certain conditions.

On the other hand I insist, the Fake Straw Hats are a measure. They exist because the real crew has gained a reputation after Enies Lobby. And the amount of marine forces they attract is a measure of the relevance the Straw Hats hold for the Government. The direct consequence for the crew is not dealing with their fake versions, it is if anything being unable to stay in the island for longer.
Sep 8, 2014 6:54 PM

Aug 2014
Grunbeld said:
Skip Alabasta and Enies lobby for now.

What!? Skipping alabasta means you won't see Ace's first appearance and skipping Enies means your skipping

For what reason do we have summit war, the best arc in one piece (in my opinion.)?
Sep 9, 2014 4:22 AM

Jun 2014
Chiyo361 said:
Grunbeld said:

What!? Skipping alabasta means you won't see Ace's first appearance and skipping Enies means your skipping

For what reason do we have summit war, the best arc in one piece (in my opinion.)?

Also you're skipping Crocodile, completely skipping Robin, skipping awesome memorable fights, etc etc etc.
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 9, 2014 4:29 AM

Sep 2014
I'll just sum it up for everybody: Don't skip a single damn episode in One Piece. It's awesome and fun to watch. Everything adds up together in the end; skipping something means subjecting yourself to confusion when something amazing happens and people are hyped over it.
Sep 9, 2014 7:03 AM

Mar 2012
Chiyo361 said:
Grunbeld said:

That's not really part of enies lobby itself....
End Zionazism
Sep 9, 2014 8:30 PM

Aug 2014
Mikasa said:
Chiyo361 said:

Oh, sorry about that. But would anyone watch post enies lobby if they didn't watch enies lobby?
Sep 11, 2014 2:07 PM

Mar 2012
Chiyo361 said:
Mikasa said:

Oh, sorry about that. But would anyone watch post enies lobby if they didn't watch enies lobby?

Absolutely. There is not much to loom forward to in it, naming doesn't have a great effect on it.
End Zionazism
Sep 11, 2014 3:34 PM

Jul 2013
Froliczxc said:
I'll just sum it up for everybody: Don't skip a single damn episode in One Piece. It's awesome and fun to watch. Everything adds up together in the end; skipping something means subjecting yourself to confusion when something amazing happens and people are hyped over it.
This. What episodes aren't relevant to the story at the current moment may be relevant later on. Oda has a nice habit of introducing characters in one arc then bringing them back hundreds of episodes later.
Sep 13, 2014 2:33 AM

Oct 2010
Mikasa said:
Absolutely. There is not much to loom forward to in it, naming doesn't have a great effect on it.

If we play this reduction to absurdity, that is the same for every arc in the show, so instead of suggesting people to skip arcs, the best thing is suggesting them to not watch the series at all, I mean, why should people care about Luffy and Ace if they don't care about Luffy well enough to follow his adventures...

...but hey, if you find better instead to cut a story in arbitrary pieces (Skypiea has been so far a lot less plot-relevant than Alabasta and Enies Lobby for the overall storyline, by the way), then be it. Just don't make this a suggestion for people who want to know what the show is about.
Sep 13, 2014 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
Mikasa said:

If we play this reduction to absurdity, that is the same for every arc in the show, so instead of suggesting people to skip arcs, the best thing is suggesting them to not watch the series at all, I mean, why should people care about Luffy and Ace if they don't care about Luffy well enough to follow his adventures...

...but hey, if you find better instead to cut a story in arbitrary pieces (Skypiea has been so far a lot less plot-relevant than Alabasta and Enies Lobby for the overall storyline, by the way), then be it. Just don't make this a suggestion for people who want to know what the show is about.

We care enough to follow his good adventures and skip his crappy ones, hence making the show less diluted.

And it seems you're implying that Alabasta/Enies were relevant to begin with.

And I'll suggest whatever I feel may help improve their enjoyment. This thread asked for advice and I chipped in.
End Zionazism
Sep 13, 2014 7:02 AM

Jul 2010
No.

Sep 13, 2014 7:43 AM

Oct 2010
Mikasa said:
jal90 said:

We care enough to follow his good adventures and skip his crappy ones, hence making the show less diluted.

And it seems you're implying that Alabasta/Enies were relevant to begin with.

And I'll suggest whatever I feel may help improve their enjoyment. This thread asked for advice and I chipped in.

Alabasta and Enies Lobby are connected to the main storyline as long as they affect and force to reorganize the factor that plays the most relevant antagonist role in the series, the World Government and by extension, the marines. Skypiea is a fine adventure but is disconnected from the plot, it had no external consequences and has remained as an experience that only the Straw Hats know about. I've had this discussion before with Grunbeld and I don't think there's anything I should add. It is fine if you don't like the arcs, but in the same way I would never recommend to skip Marineford -which to me is a meh arc- or Fishman Island despite how low my opinion on them is, I simply can't understand when you guys, haters or not, suggest to skip arcs that are long and recognizable enough inside the series and storyline just because you don't like them. I'm not asking you to have the mindset of the fans, but if anything, to be coherent with the linearity of the show. People who miss Alabasta and Enies Lobby would leave many details, explanations and ideas behind through their viewing of One Piece.
Sep 13, 2014 7:53 AM

Sep 2013
Why would you skip anything, especially the start? What's the point of even watching it if you feel you have to skip arcs.

Anyone who can say Enies wasn't relevant clearly hasn't been following the story at all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» One Piece should be a bi-weekly release

Zeverinsen - Aug 8, 2019

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 941 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alphazero4um - Sep 12, 2020

69 by Yubisoft »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion

phantom346 - Apr 14

11 by ThaTOnEGuY4_ »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 8, 2009

51 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 151 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 11, 2009

94 by kejora »»
Today, 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.