Forum Settings
Forums

A Story That I've Written (I need all the criticism I need)

New
Should I Write Continue to Write the Story?
Aug 15, 2014 4:56 AM
Aug 2014
Hello everybody! I've written a story and I'm a novice at making a story, so I need all the advice and criticism I need! With the help of the community, I can learn improve my skills and make better stories!

This is a prologue that will determine if the community likes it or not, I will quit writing if such criticism is bad and they all want me to scram because my writing is VEEEEEEEEEEERY BAD.

December, Year 1990.
In the snowy night of the 17th, a boy named Kauru was born. The parents smile at the love that they planted and it bore the fruit, the greatest fruit that they’ll ever receive.
His parents are never the best parents, waking very early and leave, always got home very late, forgetting the affection and needs of their child, they only bond together as a family in Sundays. Hiring a caretaker solved the problem, but the affection or the “parently love” got into the caretaker. Kauru never noticed his parents as his true parents, but his caretaker was the real parent he could ever have.
Kauru is moderately shy, gets disappointed often, but most people look up to him because of the way he charismatically talks and acts. Some may think he’s tough, but he’s soft as a sponge in the inside.
Kauru was never the brightest student in Junior High, nor the dumbest, still he gives off all of his effort into making his grade high. Despite most of his time is spent studying, he’s active on all of his clubs, never failing to skip them.

Tuesday: 1st stage of dusk.
“Meeting of the Debate Club”
Students of different year levels rush in the disciplinary office after the class, the room is a not very spacious and has little space to move around to, and still most of the students are used to the feeling.
“Good afternoon everyone!” a cute voice stands out from the chatter. “The club president is here, can you all behave and quiet down?” said the president with a smile, the club of 15 members said “yes” in chorus and behaved in front of their (loving?) president.
“Guys, I have something to tell you about.” the mood was swayed after the words were spoken. Members are eager to hear the news.
“It’s…” the president stuttered, mist forms in her eyes, “it’s just that…”
Most of the crowd is very concerned, what will happen?

“We’re celebrating our 3rd anniversary as a club next week!” from sadness, the crowd reacts very happily. The officers laugh at each other for falling one of the press’ exaggerations again.
“I would like to call up the P.I.O: the one and only Kauru Mitsuga.” the press raised her hands hesitantly and looks at him with a glow in her eyes.
“Hello, hello!” Kauru clumsily stands and walks in front of the members, stationing himself to be seen.
“As P.I.O, I would like to share what will happen next week!” Raising his fist to help the mood up.
“We all like to eat right?” the club members said a cheerful “yes” in chorus. “Well we’ll be hosting a buffet, so to be fair with everyone, everyone must prepare and showcase their own food!” “Whaaaat!” the club was in confusion
The press taps his shoulder and whispered: “Hey, what was the “make your own food” about? I thought we discussed that it can be home made or bought from the store?” “Well.” he whispered back, “to be more enjoyable, after all, I haven’t tasted your cooking.” Shocked and blushing, the press can only say “whaaa-“
“Nah, just kidding, I want to make it count because it will be the last year that we’ll enjoy in this school.”
Kauru smiled and put a thumbs up sign to his press. “Well, you understand now?”
“Oh…” a brief moment, and the press returned the favor by smiling.
“Wow, you suddenly lost composure to what I’ve said, how rare.” Kauru whispered, trying to poke fun and get some information.
“No- no-, it’s nothing like thaaat.” the press covers her mouth, clearly blushing, and shaking her head.
Kauru let out a hearty but short laugh, while the press is still doing her action.
“Alright then, I’ll be returning to what I will have to share.” returned a disciplined response.
“So, are you all okay with the thought of making your own food?” Kauru said. The club goes into a disagreement.
“Please, let us make this anniversary count, we make sacrifices, but this will be for the greatest!”
The confusion of the club disperses slowly, and slowly, it is nothing but a murmur, no, an agreement!
The group agreed. “To continue, we’re having the venue at Friday 3:00 P.M in the auditorium. If you’re missing the officers at 1:00 PM then we are usually at the venue doing something suprising! But don’t peek! We’re starting the event at 3:00.”
Finally, regaining her composure she thanked Kauru and adjourned the meeting. While walking to the school gate, she noticed Kauru. “I’d like to say something to him, but, hmm. Ah, forget it.” she walked pass by Kauro. *tap tap*
“Uh he, it’s me. I observed that you were in deep thought a minute ago.” Kauru frowns “I’m sorry that I made a really bad joke, I-I think I just stained my social standings with you. Le-“
“No, it’s okay.” she raises her hands making a stop sign. “I am perfectly fine, I think you “raised” your social standings a little.” the two blushed. A brief silence appeared, uncomfortable Kauro asked “May I walk you back home?” shocked, she said “No, no-“ Kauru grabbed her hand and held it with a force that’s not too strong and not to weak. “I insist.”
“I- uhm-, yes.” she said uncomfortably. “can you… let go of my hand now?” Kauro snapped back and responded “Ah.” he let go her hand “Sorry~, so, shall we go?” she responded “Yeah.”
The two walked to the girl’s place, never talking between walking.

Kauru finally arrived at his place. “I’m home aunt! (he now calls her caretaker aunt)” after a brief while a faint voice came out of a room “ Rice is ready in the cooker, but I’m feeling sick so can you cook the curry I promised yesterday?” the caretaker responded.
“Sure!” Kauru happily responded, his curry is the best in the world (for him anyway).
After finishing his meal, he let out a brief sigh. “I held her hands unconsciously, huh. Her hands were silky smooth, it felt really awkward walking her home after that incident. Well, the past is the past, gotta study then sleep!” Reflections

I want some suggestions for the names of the girl, and a name for a boy. So please, help me
Aug 15, 2014 6:39 AM

Mar 2012
Zaeros said:
I need all the advice and criticism I need!

Zaeros said:
I will quit writing if such criticism is bad

Those two things contradict each other.
Aug 15, 2014 6:44 AM

May 2014
Go back to school, you write like a 12 year old.
Is english your first language?
Improve sentences, dialogue and story-plot and I might think about reading more.
I've been here way too long...
Aug 15, 2014 6:47 AM

May 2013
Zaeros said:

If you want to write that bad, expect the criticisms already. Every single writer/author has been criticized no matter how popular or good their story is.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 15, 2014 6:48 AM

Mar 2014
Too much XXXX said and XXXX did this after speech and so on.

Let the speech flow naturally. As it is, it's disjointed and impersonal.
Aug 15, 2014 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
Since you are asking for opinions...

Firstly, there is something I really do not understand about amateur writers, why the heck they do not practice and improve themselves enough before going around asking people for their opinions with sparkly eyes, with the works that are directly insults to the whole definition of writing and gives us nothing but eyesores?

Do you know what storytelling is? "Storytelling is the conveying of events in words, and images, often by improvisation or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation, and instilling moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters, and narrative point of view."

I'd like to point out a nice factor here "CRUCIAL elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters, and narrative point of view." Do you really believe that there were enough plot and development above? How the heck does the readers are supposed to understand anything when what is trying to be told is explained the most half-assed way? Do you honestly believe the way that the early years have been explained is done right?

Now I'd like to move on the main issue here, why the fuck are the characters are not freaking described? Have you seriously read a book before writing that? What the fuck does the characters look like? You keep introducing and going on a plot that only you understand.

Now, please give me the adress of whoever told you this was good enough and IF you had other works like this and they were praised by a certain someone, please give their adress as well along your teachers, It would be my pleasure to cleanse the earth from such literature slaughterers.
Aug 15, 2014 7:05 AM

Mar 2014
Also, 'show, don't tell'
Aug 15, 2014 7:39 AM
Aug 2014
yazio said:
Zaeros said:
I need all the advice and criticism I need!

Zaeros said:

Those two things contradict each other.

SweetCoconut said:
Zaeros said:

If you want to write that bad, expect the criticisms already. Every single writer/author has been criticized no matter how popular or good their story is.

I'm very sorry. I think I mean "bad criticism" as in: "I don't wan't this crap in my forum" or something like that, I'm very bad at memorizing things that I will do.

kurosaki344 said:

Firstly, there is something I really do not understand about amateur writers, why the heck they do not practice and improve themselves enough before going around asking people for their opinions with sparkly eyes, with the works that are directly insults to the whole definition of writing and gives us nothing but eyesores?

Do you know what storytelling is? "Storytelling is the conveying of events in words, and images, often by improvisation or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation, and instilling moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters, and narrative point of view."

I'd like to point out a nice factor here "CRUCIAL elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters, and narrative point of view." Do you really believe that there were enough plot and development above? How the heck does the readers are supposed to understand anything when what is trying to be told is explained the most half-assed way? Do you honestly believe the way that the early years have been explained is done right?

Now I'd like to move on the main issue here, why the fuck are the characters are not freaking described? Have you seriously read a book before writing that? What the fuck does the characters look like? You keep introducing and going on a plot that only you understand.

Now, please give me the adress of whoever told you this was good enough and IF you had other works like this and they were praised by a certain someone, please give their adress as well along your teachers, It would be my pleasure to cleanse the earth from such literature slaughterers.

I never claimed myself as a "good" author, but. If you want to flame, then go ahead. Since I'm asking everyone's opinions on how should I write, or what should I write, I thank you for this learning experience.
Aug 15, 2014 7:46 AM

Mar 2012
Try to learn about Verb Tense Consistency and Dialogue Punctuation for starters.
Aug 15, 2014 11:47 AM

Jun 2011
There are a lot of things you can work on. As people have already mentioned, too much of your story is just "telling" the audience who the characters are. Show the audience that "Kauru is moderately shy, gets disappointed often," don't say that he does.
"~" is not really found in prose. Instead of using a symbol, try to convey it through tags or descriptions after the dialogue.
Many sentences roll off the tongue awkwardly. Read it outloud and you'll probably notice why some sentences just feel "off."

Those are just some things you might want to work on for now. Being good at writing takes practice so don't just give up, revise. If you revise, you learn a lot more than just scraping up a work because it gets bad criticism. Also, a good way to practice is to write everyday, even if it is only a sentence a day.

As for names, just google sites that help naming babies. There are plenty of sites that will give you names just based off of a meaning and you can narrow your search in multiple ways such as by nationality and more.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Aug 15, 2014 5:02 PM
Dec 2010
It felt like you are writing a report of someone's life while observing him.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Aug 15, 2014 7:58 PM

Jul 2014
I think you have to make it solid, as xmaikokoro said, try to show stuff more than telling it, instead of "he is shy" you could show us something that reveals he is shy, like him not having so many friends, having troubles when he is into any social situation, etcetera...
If you need to tell, do it in a way it doesn´t kill the interest on reading for the reader, do that only when you absolutely need to tell, and there is no way to show.
It is your first time (I assume that) and thus I am not telling you this

kurosaki344 said:

(He did say criticism and advice though, not opinions)

Although he got a point, practice, practice and practice, there are people who born to be writers and thus won´t be able to do anything else in the life and then come the rest, mortal ones, we are not born to write, and thus we need to practice...
When you find this kind of "criticism" which I see more like insulting, just keep practicing, reading as many good and bad books as you can, improve your gramatic skills, your ortography and the syntax of each paragraph, make dialogues more real (so don´t make people to talk all the time in "high language" but opt for a more natural, vulgar one so it doesn´t feel forced and the reader can buy it.)

I would like to give you a final advice
If you can buy On Writing, by Stephen king and How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them--A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide, buy them, if not, download them.

xmaikokoro said:
There are a lot of things you can work on. As people have already mentioned, too much of your story is just "telling" the audience who the characters are. Show the audience that "Kauru is moderately shy, gets disappointed often," don't say that he does.
"~" is not really found in prose. Instead of using a symbol, try to convey it through tags or descriptions after the dialogue.
Many sentences roll off the tongue awkwardly. Read it outloud and you'll probably notice why some sentences just feel "off."

Those are just some things you might want to work on for now. Being good at writing takes practice so don't just give up, revise. If you revise, you learn a lot more than just scraping up a work because it gets bad criticism. Also, a good way to practice is to write everyday, even if it is only a sentence a day.

As for names, just google sites that help naming babies. There are plenty of sites that will give you names just based off of a meaning and you can narrow your search in multiple ways such as by nationality and more.

Annddd
Listen to this mate!

kurosaki344 said:

And show this mate you can do it better than he expects to, though I didn´t leave any space for a final advice I´d like to tell you something, no matter what you do, some people will hate what you do, you can use the critics and opinions of the ones who liked what you did to keep on, but you have to use the critics of the ones who didn´t like your work as a fuel to improve and make them swallow their words (if someone else reads that final advice, remember to apply it on your lifes, you´d do a great favor to the world and to yourselves using the insults and negative critics of the rest of the people as a fuel to get better)

More topics from this board

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - 10 hours ago

0 by Luffie00 »»
10 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

10 by JKKH »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

357 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Yesterday

2 by Cammell »»
Yesterday, 6:19 AM

» Show us your latest sketch or drawing v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Feb 21, 2017

1628 by JKKH »»
Apr 17, 9:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.