Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 25, 2009 1:31 PM

Dec 2007
So wierd hearing korean instead of japanese:P still looks like a interesting story
Oct 25, 2009 4:45 PM

Mar 2009
Well, watched this episode straight after the prologue episode, I have to say this episode is better lol
I think I might enjoy this series. Loving the animation/arts/music lol
Oct 25, 2009 7:43 PM

Oct 2009
Haha this is the first anime that I've seen where I don't need subs, it's a pretty cool experience to be honest. And yeah animation, voice acting, music, etc. were all great. Pacing is slow, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The story seems interesting, and K-dramas always have really good stories.
Oct 25, 2009 8:35 PM

Aug 2007
Everything about this anime is pretty. Except the characters. Also, it's a bit unrealistic and silly in some parts. But ehh, it might get better.
Oct 25, 2009 9:44 PM

Nov 2007
My 2 months of Korean lessons are already paying off. Excellent.

The voice acting seemed pretty appropriate (gotta remember that Korean intonation sounds totally different from Japanese) and the animation looked great. Looking forward to more.
Oct 25, 2009 10:22 PM

Feb 2009
kasumisama said:
My 2 months of Korean lessons are already paying off. Excellent.

The voice acting seemed pretty appropriate (gotta remember that Korean intonation sounds totally different from Japanese) and the animation looked great. Looking forward to more.

That's true in some ways, but I've noticed that in a lot of Korean dubbed anime the voices are pretty similarly pitched as compared to the Japanese. Sometimes it sounds like the Japanese dub actors are speaking in Korean, or vice versa.

I think it may just be a stylistic choice to have the voices sound more "naturally", as it seems geared to a somewhat older audience (I'd say the series is more josei than shoujo) and the actors are not trained voice actors per se, but rather TV and film actors reprising their original roles.

Oct 26, 2009 12:53 AM

May 2007
I'm having mixed feelings about it. Knowing nothing about the production until I saw eps 00 and 01, I had no idea that it was going to be so Korean -- or so close to the kdrama.

What I'd like to know is... is it even the original actors reprising their roles or are they just taking sound bites from the actual kdrama?!? It's so similar that I kind of finding it unnerving -- the actual dialogue is the same as I remember it in parts. It's like having animated deja vu. I'm tempted to pull out an old copy of the kdrama and actually compare the lines. ;P

I think it's interesting that they kept so much of the same things... I feel like the animated characters are even dressed the exact same way they were in the drama. ...Is that level of faithfulness really required? You couldn't give her an updated outfit and a better hairstyle to wear to Paris? He really still has to wear the double knotted scarf and have that orangey dyed hair? Sigh. I don't know. I thought they took it a little too far.

I'll watch for another episode, but if it keeps up as an animated reenactment of the drama, I'll drop it (especially since the drama was hard enough for me to get through the first time -- I thought it was paced waaaay too slowly and I found myself getting really impatient with it when I watched it).
Oct 26, 2009 5:51 AM

Apr 2008
i havent seen the drama, but i enjoyed the first episode of this.

the only thing that bothers me is the voice acting, it sounds like they're just reading the script.

Oct 26, 2009 8:14 AM

May 2007
galaxxxy said:
the only thing that bothers me is the voice acting, it sounds like they're just reading the script.
The whole production of the original drama had a stoic reserve sort of thing going on, so it was a lot of slow, quiet moments: understated performances; pensive gazes out to the horizon; silent, single tears rolling down a cheek... so there was a kind of (intentional, I think) reserve to the delivery of their lines too. (I guess the plot had enough drama on its own! ;) )And, so far, they're sticking close to the original.

Also keep in mind that Korean sounds different from Japanese. ;)
Oct 26, 2009 9:42 AM
Nov 2008
Art is still pretty, music is still pretty, but I'm still not sure what I think of the characters and story. It was beter than episode 0 for sure, but I don't know if it's enough to stick with. I'll give it a few more episodes, but if it doesn't pick up, it'll be dropped for sure.
Oct 26, 2009 11:41 AM

Aug 2008
A language sounding different doesn't really mean much. I'm much more familiar with the sounds of the Korean language than I am Japanese (Korean friends), and a lot of the lines just don't match up to the energy on screen. That these are the original drama actors reprising their roles makes it that much worse. Choosing screen actors generally means having someone who can perform lines more understated and natural. It goes on a little bit in this show, but often it's too lethargic and monotone, which is all the more strange because I think of Korean as a very bright, energetic language.
Oct 26, 2009 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
noteDhero said:
A language sounding different doesn't really mean much. I'm much more familiar with the sounds of the Korean language than I am Japanese (Korean friends), and a lot of the lines just don't match up to the energy on screen. That these are the original drama actors reprising their roles makes it that much worse. Choosing screen actors generally means having someone who can perform lines more understated and natural. It goes on a little bit in this show, but often it's too lethargic and monotone, which is all the more strange because I think of Korean as a very bright, energetic language.

I know what you mean. But if you compare J-dramas to K-dramas, Japanese actors make it seem a bit too energetic/forced. K-dramas are more believable.

I honestly don't think that it sounds monotone at all. I think it matches the story well.
Oct 26, 2009 2:55 PM

Aug 2008
The only J-drama I've ever seen is Nodame, and to some extent I'd agree, but I think that's the fault of shitty directors more than the actors, since the actors all (except the guy playing Chiaki) did wonderful job. I've never seen a K-drama so I don't know.

Regardless though there were a couple of scenes where the woman voicing the main girl was not matching what was onscreen. Sometimes she was too one note, and other times she had too much energy. It's almost as though she didn't know what she was acting out. The main guy was better, but only because he only had to portray the same stubbornness the whole way through. The best job was by far the lively guy talking in the classroom to broadcasting club guy.
Oct 26, 2009 4:16 PM

May 2007
noteDhero said:
Regardless though there were a couple of scenes where the woman voicing the main girl was not matching what was onscreen. Sometimes she was too one note, and other times she had too much energy. It's almost as though she didn't know what she was acting out. The main guy was better, but only because he only had to portray the same stubbornness the whole way through. The best job was by far the lively guy talking in the classroom to broadcasting club guy.
Heh. It's so interesting that you view it that way. I'm probably experiencing it differently because I'm Korean and I was paying more attention to the words than the general tone. If anything, this is making me rethink how I view voice acting in Japanese animes! Not to mention, I was too busy being in shock about how very similar the drama and the anime are. ;)

...So I actually bothered to check. They've rerecorded the sound with the same actors, I guess. There are slightly differences. But it made me realize they actually drew some shots exactly like the drama -- down to which direction they look at first and such. I don't know if I need to watch an animated regurgitation of the drama... why wouldn't I just watch the drama again? Hopefully they'll make the difference felt in the next episode or two.
Oct 26, 2009 4:39 PM
May 2007
as for the pacing, the original episodes of the drama were 90+ minutes each

i just say the show works for what it is so far. at least as teenagers, the characters look like teenagers. the actual actors in the drama were so unconvincing as teens. like when i saw joon sang take out a cigarette in front of the school, if i were there, i'd say it was a 29 year old guy wearing a gakuran just to try and get some school girls. while in the anime, he really looks like he's 17
Oct 26, 2009 6:01 PM

Jul 2008
yay :D
I understood most of it xD

Oct 26, 2009 7:20 PM

Jan 2008
I didn't watch the live action because it's so melodramatic. It screams DRAMA. Not that I am against it but there were others to choose from to watch at that time. Now that it is in anime, it's a good chance to watch this adaptation. The intro screams drama but it got a bit lighter later. Man, I miss korean dialogues watching this. I was distracted a bit while watching.
Oct 26, 2009 11:43 PM

Apr 2008
Cripes, that was awfully slow, even for a first episode. The music was nice and relaxing and standard romance drama fare, but what ultimately will keep me around to watch at least the second episode was the final scene.
Oct 29, 2009 3:34 AM

Oct 2009
I am currently downloading the first episode after a while. I really looked forward to this anime, but dropped it when Ii heard that it was on another language.
However, I just hope i love this anime. I will write what i thought about the first episode.
Oct 31, 2009 12:35 PM

May 2008
I'm not too convinced by the voice acting...it sounds fake and emotionless. There were only a couple people that really got into the roles I find.

The voices, being Korean, really don't fit any of the characters. Either that or I'm just way too used to listening to Japanese voices.

I feel like the series would be better had it been in Japanese though :/ Meh...3/5

Oct 31, 2009 5:05 PM
May 2007
i've also watched the japanese dub of the drama, and they literally sound too much like jr. high kids

here's a sample of it in japanese
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvZC5AVOzJg
ParaParaJMoOct 31, 2009 5:08 PM
Nov 2, 2009 9:42 PM

Jan 2008
Saw a bit of the original live action and one thing I have to say, this is shit compared it.
Bad voice acting coupled with the bad animation completely ruins the emotions that the original was trying to convey.
Seriously drop this and just go watch the live action, I promise you it'll be 100% better.
Nov 11, 2009 2:59 AM

Aug 2009
(cough Korean here)

Honestly, winter sonata is the most successful K-drama of all the time, yet the most overrated. Being Korean myself, I don't like Korean drama in general. IMO, it's NOT the best k-drama, but it's getting too much hype ups in Japan... :/

Korean Dramas are all generally slow; there are some that finishes early and most of those are good. But overall, very slow paced and tons of episodes. And this anime... looks like it exactly copied that worst aspect of W.S. SLOW SLOW SLOW.

Story is quite irritating too. Herp Derp.

noteDhero said:

;D Imo, Korean Language is not that bright or energetic. It sounds liked that since it has no pitch, which means it will only have one pitch sound from the start to the end. It can be sound monotone for foreigners.

Actually, Korean voice actors are as good as Japan, but this one, winter sonata... pretty bad imo...-_-...

I guess I'll go drop this anime... >_>;; Can't stand this slow slowness I had in its original...
Dec 6, 2009 2:24 PM
Apr 2008
God, if I'm just going to watch a sub-par version of the drama, then fuck this shit. I was very disappointed in this first episode and I had high expectations, really.

Dropped.
Feb 3, 2010 2:36 AM

May 2009
I can't believe what I just saw. This was so corny it hurt. Broke my patience meter.
I've seen worst anime before but god this is so full of shit.
And what's with the non-stop melo music? Can I have a second of peace? It's not even needed. The voices are shitty like hell too and the people all look like a bunch of phonies. It irritated the crap outta me.
And what is it with this really crappy animation with just the stupidest scenes? I mean, the lolletsthrowleavesonourselvesforhalfanhour that was just...

Whatever, screw this shit, I'm leavin'.
Oct 3, 2012 10:43 PM

Nov 2011
Very soft like feeling episode with melancholy and slow pacing. Eh..I can't say this is exactly the best way to start off a pilot episode for me but oh well, I'm used to this sort of series occasionally. Go figure.
Jul 30, 2014 2:28 AM
Dec 2013
The start was good, but the whole episode was slow and boring.
The VA's don't suit the characters, especially the heroine. She's really cute and i wished Kana Hanazawa voiced her. Haven't seen the k-drama of this but this gives me White Album vibes.

I can't get used to the Korean language, wish there was Japanese dubs.
Aug 20, 2014 4:18 AM

Jan 2014
Really interesting, although I'm not really sure what's going on. But that's the point :)
Feb 17, 2019 11:21 PM

Jun 2015
i'm used to my korean media being in kdrama form, quite a change to see it in animation. i'm giving this a shot though, i've heard about the drama for a while. it's probably a mistake to watch an animation before the drama first though, but im already on board to it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 26 Discussion

Hercule - Oct 16, 2010

27 by Short_Circut »»
Oct 15, 2022 9:05 AM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 5 Discussion

Valentiln - Jan 4, 2010

12 by CatLoverMoshi »»
Oct 11, 2022 6:05 PM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 4 Discussion

ParaParaJMo - Nov 9, 2009

22 by Neil1998 »»
Dec 30, 2020 4:59 AM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 2 Discussion

neow_neow - Oct 25, 2009

46 by Neil1998 »»
Dec 29, 2020 1:40 PM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 23 Discussion

Siva - Sep 6, 2010

6 by 3miL »»
Sep 15, 2020 11:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.