Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 12, 2014 6:56 AM

Apr 2014
I'm nearly done watching Bakemonogatari. I understand, why people would like it, but amazing/outstanding is not a word, i would put into this anime. Maybe, fascinating? unique? cause of the art style, characters and dialogue, but also at the same time boring. I mean seriously very boring. Nothing really particular is happening, that makes this anime awesome/outstanding. Lengthy discussion about nothing, and new girl pops up with some kind of oddity. Main character helps her, because that's how he is. Finished arc, repeat the same procedure. And of course a little bit romance between Senjougahara and Araragi. That's really about it. Is there going to be something more interesting in the next season (The monogatari series second season) ? Or should i just totally drop it, because the procedure would be the same?

Aug 12, 2014 7:20 AM
Apr 2013
Drop it.
Aug 12, 2014 7:42 AM

Apr 2014
just finishing bakemonogatari then, since i'm already at episode 14. I guess, it's the same at second season, since u guys saying, i should drop it.

Aug 12, 2014 7:44 AM

Sep 2012
David2skills said:
just finishing bakemonogatari then, since i'm already at episode 14. I guess, it's the same at second season, since u guys saying, i should drop it.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. The presentation is kind of annoying and the formula is getting old. I think I'm on episode 9 of Bakemonogatari.
Aug 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Dec 2012
Drop it. It's not your cup of tea. If you don't enjoy Bakemonogatari, it's very unlikely that you will enjoy the next seasons.
Aug 12, 2014 7:47 AM

Apr 2013
The stories do change a little in the next seasons, it's basically the same formula throughout the series but if you didn't especially enjoy Bake then the rest of it is going to be a bore.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 12, 2014 8:01 AM

Apr 2013
SwordsmanDan said:
David2skills said:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. The presentation is kind of annoying and the formula is getting old. I think I'm on episode 9 of Bakemonogatari.

The presentation is one of the most beautifuland greatest aspects that make the series so unique and phenomenal, it gives off its own substance.
Aug 12, 2014 8:35 AM

Apr 2014
Story: 7,3/10
Characters: 8,9/10
Art: 8,7/10
Sound: 8,3/10
Enjoyment: 4,7/10
Overall: 6,82/10 (7/10)

Well it wasn't bad at all. It was good. But i guess, it isn't something that i should try speedrunning. A satisfying conclusion, I must say. The anime's strongest point must be the fascinating and unique characters imo.

Aug 12, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2013
David2skills said:

Well it wasn't bad at all. It was good. But i guess, it isn't something that i should try speedrunning. A satisfying conclusion, I must say. The anime's strongest point must be the fascinating and unique characters imo.

Actually, I find it really marathonable.
Aug 12, 2014 8:49 AM

Apr 2014
LeFlower-kun said:
David2skills said:

Really? I actually do not, cause it requires a lot of you. I guess taking breaks while watching it, is a good idea for me at least.

Aug 12, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
David2skills said:
LeFlower-kun said:

Really? I actually do not, cause it requires a lot of you. I guess taking breaks while watching it, is a good idea for me at least.

I understand it requires lots of attention, but the amount of fascinating and intriguing dialogue really made it able for me to marathon it.

But yep, the characters are great and amazingly fascinating.
Aug 12, 2014 8:55 AM

Apr 2014
LeFlower-kun said:
David2skills said:

I understand it requires lots of attention, but the amount of fascinating and intriguing dialogue really made it able for me to marathon it.

I guess, i'm the only one, that found their conversation quite boring and uninteresting ^^'' They just talked about mundane boring stuff, i guess. Can't really remember, what they talked about? They just talked quite a lot.

Aug 12, 2014 8:57 AM

May 2014
David2skills said:

You're looking for a plot in Monogatari... well, there is none, nothing feels impactful or meaningful from a plot driven perspective.
Monogatari series is a character study done through extensive dialogue which is just the author's thoughts and reminiscences he found amusing. It has a lot of ideas and concepts planted, but not explored much, unless it's for a character arc. So this is a character study, not a plot driven anime with a thrilling story and plot twists, it's all about the characters, their monologues, dialogues and interactions. The visuals just support that, even if they are overly artsy and expressionistic.

As for Nisemonogatari, it diverges from the character focus and has a lot more raw thoughts put out, which are on a conceptual level. Very minor things actually happen, and mostly it's just character interactions. Of course it also has the infamous toothbrush scene as well.

David2skills said:
LeFlower-kun said:

I guess, i'm the only one, that found their conversation quite boring and uninteresting ^^'' They just talked about mundane boring stuff, i guess. Can't really remember, what they talked about? They just talked quite a lot.
Well it depends on how your mind works and how you selectively filter substance from fluff. You may not remember their dialogues, but you know their personalities, tendencies, mannerisms and personal struggles. All from the symbolism attached to them as well as their dialogues.
T3hSourceAug 12, 2014 9:01 AM
Aug 12, 2014 8:57 AM

Apr 2013
David2skills said:
LeFlower-kun said:

Dw, I'm sure you're not the only one, its not a show for everyone haha ^.^
Aug 12, 2014 9:07 AM

Oct 2012
To me the dialogs were the whole draw of the show, it didn't matter so much what they were talking about but how the characters interacted with each other like their little quips and banter. But I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't like this aspect because its pretty unconventional compared to the way that most other shows deliver their exposition.

I'd say its probably not worth your time continuing because the rest of the show is more of the same, although Second Season is a little more plot driven. But you have to go through Nise and Neko:Kuro first which I think are both weaker than Bake to get to Second Season which is better written than Bake.
Aug 18, 2014 10:38 AM

May 2012
Not only I don't like it, but I don't even understand why people like it that much. I don't see anything special about it.

THe problem with the anime is not just it has long dialog, but the dialog itself is boring. The things that they talk about doesn't look interesting. It feel like sleep-inducing anime.

Also, I have problem that I can't concentrate for long time specially if the things don't interest me. Maybe I should watch it two times to understand what they are talking about.

David2skills said:

I give it 1/10 or 2/10 at most for the story. Actually, I'm not even sure if this anime has a story.

Art and Sound are not important.
Aug 18, 2014 10:40 AM

Apr 2014
Continue wathing it, Monogatari Series 2nd season is a masterpiece
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2014 10:46 AM

May 2014
@thepath
Monogatari dialogues 2kek4u

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
2 hours ago

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

25 by HeshamJohnny »»
Apr 13, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

517 by Murky304 »»
Apr 8, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

687 by 94jf »»
Apr 1, 8:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.