Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 18, 2014 4:35 PM

Jun 2012
ss4chris said:
Heartlesss said:
I believe that Futaba is going to reject Kou, and make him chase after her like she did with him lol

thats what i think will happen.

dang i wanna read the chapter.
THIS. I hate how its monthly, I wanna cry :(
Aug 18, 2014 6:41 PM

Nov 2011
[quote=-kaze-]
ss4chris said:
Heartlesss said:
I believe that Futaba is going to reject Kou, and make him chase after her like she did with him lol

This could be a possibility. I can't wait to see the priceless ace on Kou if that happens. Idk how I feel about this chapter honestly since I'm not a big fan of Kou or who he ends up with. I'm more curious about Shuuko still :3
Aug 18, 2014 6:53 PM

Jul 2013
[quote=Stark700]
-kaze- said:
ss4chris said:

This could be a possibility. I can't wait to see the priceless ace on Kou if that happens. Idk how I feel about this chapter honestly since I'm not a big fan of Kou or who he ends up with. I'm more curious about Shuuko still :3

I bet she will yell at him for doing things like this then he will say something that will fluster her and she will storm off but be even more confused. The scene will just be another step toward futa finally dumping the doofus.
Aug 18, 2014 9:03 PM

Nov 2012
Am I the only one who's really annoyed with Yoshioka. She got all heartbroken after Kou rejected her, which I understand, but she didn't even take out the time to maybe ask him why (she just assumed he liked Narumi over her, instead of trying to put herself in Kou's shoes). She didn't even stop to think how Kou is in a hard position. Plus, Kou never said he didn't love her, he just said "Sorry." To jump to Touma after that just because he's a nice guy that can "save her" is kinda shallow of Yoshioka. Of course I'm not just bashing Yoshioka, because Kou should have voiced his issues...but Yoshioka should have tried a little more too. And Touma's "love" for Yoshioka is shallow, he just liked her because she's kindhearted and pretty. He's also an ass to go after her right after she was rejected (with that being said, Yoshioka shouldn't have accepted his confession so quick). The last thing that pisses me off is that Yoshioka and Kou became friends before the whole confession thing, so to say "we're not that close anymore" about Kou in Chapter 43, says to me that there relationship was only built on romance and no friendship. In Strobd Edge, although Ninako was rejected at first by Ren, she still valued her friendship with Ren and continued being true whole-hearted friends. I love Yoshioka but damn she can be annoying a little.

PS: ima get bashed for this, but oh well this my opinion lol ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2014 9:19 PM

Aug 2014
Futaba is definitely going to reject him.
Aug 18, 2014 10:25 PM

Aug 2013
This is so frustrating I ship both sides!! Kou x Futaba and Kikuchi x Futaba </3
Aug 18, 2014 10:40 PM
Aug 2013
Finally, we can take a peek at Narumi as a person. Her crush was really innocent apparently, just a thing without reason. Though I think it's sort of weird that she fell for him because she learned he liked someone else, which apparently told her that Kou was a boy...Well I guess it makes sense in the sense that she was too young to really think about love but when someone her age said something about liking a girl she got that love itch in her head and she admired the fact that he liked someone...Or something like that. I guess he interested her? Anyways, the love was really innocent. Nothing big, a crush. She watched him through middle school. Goodness this is going no where. I guess to wrap it up she got desperate when he wanted to leave. If I loved someone and they wanted to leave I wouldn't want them to go either. Alright, I guess that makes sense in a way. If I figured that out correctly, Narumi wasn't so bad.
Until she became the cliche antagonist. "She always watched him, she liked him since forever since middle school, she knows him really well, more than anyone, and she scares off any competitors by confusing and lying to both the opponent and the target." Wow. That reminds me of someone. *cough*Kurumi*COUGHCOUGH* (wow even their names sound similar, just one character off!)
In the end it doesn't matter why or how, she was just another obstacle that Kou and Futaba had to get past. They did that realllyyyy smoothly. Yeah, they really handled her well. Best I've seen.
*cough*
Anyways, now that we've painstakingly crossed over that speed bump, we can get back onto the road. I've read the above comments and well, they seem like pretty valid guesses about what is going to happen considering the pattern we've seen so far with our wonderful main characters. What really needs to happen is for not just Kou and Futaba to talk, but Aya and Shuko(sp?) too. They can fill in the missing blanks in the mass miscommunication. They can explain everything...Why haven't they said anything until now? Futaba needs to know that what she heard and saw of Narumi wasn't the real deal. That Kou was just being stupid and trying to deal with Narumi before returning to Futaba. If Kou just walks up to Futaba and says "oh yeah, I love you" she'll be thinking 'what, he has Narumi, he didn't even kiss me for real, he rejected me' and all of those misunderstandings will just ruin it all. Kou needs to be aware of exactly what he needs to clear up so that things can work out.
Of course, that won't happen. It never does. Maybe twenty chapters from now everything will finally get cleared up if we're lucky!
Why is this so complicated it makes my brain hurt...
I wish things would get wrapped up already so that I don't have to think anymore and attempt to rationalize this mess.
Aug 18, 2014 11:54 PM

May 2010
GAHHHHh. Get back with Kou already!! Man, how long will we have to wait. ; ^ ;

Kou, you missed your Fu train! But FIGHT-O!! <3
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Aug 18, 2014 11:55 PM

Jul 2013
Yea I would imagine soon after she gets angry at Kou and goes off on him she talks to her friends and they are like "well actually......".
Aug 19, 2014 2:06 AM

Jun 2008
I honestly hope Kou suffers more before he gets her , poor girl been having red face when she meets him its sickening since the first chapter , a blind retarded moron would figure how much she liked him and for how long , and wow for the reason he suddenly left her for he wants to do charity and support someone else he doesn't even like , and its always that 3rd wheel who gets left out in shoujo mangas who always love the heroine unconditionally ( Touma , though somehow makes us wonder why is he so desperate for her to the point he doesn't even wanna know she went with Kou , I feel bad for him ) , yes Futuba/Kou has chemistry but it shouldn't be easy otherwise the whole plot would be cheap and the main heroine would be retarded.
Aug 19, 2014 2:42 AM

May 2013
Thank God Narumi learned this time...

But I think Kou should work hard for him to be loved again fully by Futaba. Inb4 rejection. 1 month for this cliffhanger chapter again.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 19, 2014 7:03 AM

Jan 2014
This chapter was good, I like it. We could see how Kou was in Nagasaki those 3 years and the friendship that he had with Narumi.

I like how Kou has always liked Futaba. I guess he also only has eyes for Futaba too.
Waiting for Futaba to finish that stupid "relationship" with Touma.
Aug 19, 2014 7:26 AM

Nov 2012
Nice chapter since Touma wasn't on it.

Who cares about Narumi, futaba and murao, I am for either kou x kominato or kou x touma, who knows maybe Touma would feel more at ease watching horror movies with kou.

Narumi - I think this was probably the last chapter she will show up.
Futaba - I don't like her anymore, to the point that I think she deserves Touma's bear hugs.
Murao - she was awesome and I even would have like her ending up with Kou, but I still don't get the whole I feel sorry for Kou, but I won't let him try to make a move on Futaba.
Aug 19, 2014 8:10 AM

Oct 2011
LittleStar said:
random_Z said:
realizes that she still has feeling for kou <.<

Isn't that happen in chapter 42? xD

I want Kou to confess, but I want something like "I know you have boyfriend now, but I just wanted let you know that... I like you. I never stopped liked you" :)
I don't want something like "I like you, please go out with me",
but I don't think he can said something like this xD
Or he can said something like "Tell me you don't like me, so I will stop bother you." :)

I am sure that they will be together, this will be strange if they don't end up together xD

Eh... I don't really like how Sakisaka-san dealed with Narumi's character!
She have so much potential! :/
Why rivals girls if they aren't heroine best friends always end up like this? O.o

KouxNarumi backstory was nice...
Kinda sad it ends like this... ;(

Agreed. I like Narumi character, it's sad how everyone hates her. I think she has a great develompent >:
DeskachanAug 21, 2014 7:43 PM
Aug 19, 2014 8:14 AM

May 2014
Why does everyone hate touma? I actually feel sorry for him since he is trying so hard but still has the feeling that futaba likes kou
Aug 19, 2014 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
FINALLY

translated! after 2 weeks of just tumblr translations >.<

Narumi gone? is this life? is there a God? seriously I was okay with her in the beginning but her motives just made her fail as a char in my book. sadly we have people like her in the real world.

what will Futaba tell Kou.. rejection? How will Kou take it? will he stand strong? or falter and give up?
Aug 19, 2014 9:08 AM

Jul 2010
Wow Kou's first kiss was a stolen kiss from Narumi?!
At first those pages I am like no don't kiss but they did
You fucking Narumi !!!!
Oh well can't get what I want ,then it will be boring
Overall I am glad Narumi will stay back,probably for now,but I hope for forever
Because she seems so forceful when telling Kou it's too late , I understand you
But Is understanding love?!
Aug 19, 2014 10:37 AM

Sep 2011
random_Z said:
Obviously they're going to end up together :p
Finally, the time has come! o.o
I wonder if she'll run away, get troubled, have problems with touma and realizes that she still has feeling for kou <.<

Sounds like an accurate prediction to me. I don't think she will accept him right away either, I think she will reject him at first but then realize he is the one she really loves and they end up together at the end, but I think there will be some drama for a while.

LittleStar said:
random_Z said:

I want Kou to confess, but I want something like "I know you have boyfriend now, but I just wanted let you know that... I like you. I never stopped liked you" :)
Or he can said something like "Tell me you don't like me, so I will stop bother you." :)

I am sure that they will be together, this will be strange if they don't end up together xD

Eh... I don't really like how Sakisaka-san dealed with Narumi's character!
She have so much potential! :/
Why rivals girls if they aren't heroine best friends always end up like this? O.o

KouxNarumi backstory was nice...
Kinda sad it ends like this... ;(

Yep I also hope that he will show her he still loves her - but not do an all out attack more like telling her his feelings, and then she realizes she still loves him.
inzarathaAug 19, 2014 10:42 AM
Aug 19, 2014 2:46 PM
Jun 2013
LittleStar said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I'm the only one who is happy that Kou first kiss wasn't with Futaba?
At the beginning I wanted Kou and Futaba shared together their all first...
First love, first date, first kiss, first relationship...
But since Futaba decided to be with Touma,
because Kou "doesn't like her".
Now I happy that she don't get all Kou's first things... :)
At last there is one thing that she don't own :)

In future they can be like:
Futaba: Your first kiss was with Narumi?!
Kou: You dated Touma before dating me!
Futaba: Call it even?
Kou: Ok!

But if you look at it from other side...
First love, first serious kiss and first serious relationship they gonna have together :)

Okay. I have to admit, after that first sentense I seriously thought "What?!" But when you explain it like that I can totally see your point. Also this:
In future they can be like:
Futaba: Your first kiss was with Narumi?!
Kou: You dated Touma before dating me!
Futaba: Call it even?
Kou: Ok!
Got to love it. Just got to love it.
Aug 19, 2014 2:55 PM
Jun 2013
I have to admit I loved how Kou finally solved the issues with Narumi, but! What was that with the kisses and alll?!?! That bitch, why did she kiss him?!?!?! And seriously Futaba.. Screw Kikuchi and go back to Kou!! *deep sigh of dissapointment*

Overally though:
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/ao_haru_ride/c043/32.html
GOOD BOY!!!! :)

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/ao_haru_ride/c043/38.html
That little BITCH!!!

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/ao_haru_ride/c043/44.html
Futaba no.. BAKAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! The heck you doin'?!?!?!

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/ao_haru_ride/c043/45.html
KOU!!!!!! (I love you, please marry me!!!!) I really loved that scene!!! Kou I'm definitely rooting for you, KAMBAKUTE!!!!!! >.<
Aug 19, 2014 3:04 PM

Jul 2010
paperplane11 said:
Why does everyone hate touma? I actually feel sorry for him since he is trying so hard but still has the feeling that futaba likes kou

Well, I could post links to the discussions on why Touma is an ass, but I'll just sum it up here:

1. He went after Futaba immediately after she was rejected by Kou. In general, there is a word for guys that prey on girls when they are vulnerable, that is asshole. He even acknowledged that it was a terrible thing to do, but that he wasn't going to let the opportunity pass him by.

2. He originally told her that he didn't want to pressure her and he wanted her to take her time to think about him as a potential boyfriend, then, just a couple of days later, he asked her out on a date, on that date, they happened to see Kou and Narumi walking together. What were his options of how to deal with that?
a) He could have ignored it and tried to get Futaba to walk along and ignore it herself.
b) He could have acknowledged it by saying "Oh, it looks like they are out together too, just like us." Maybe then Futaba would have thought, "Oh... we aren't dating and we're out together... maybe that is what is going on with them?"
c) He could have told her not to let it bother her and directed the conversation to something more pleasant.

But what did he do? He broke one of the major social taboos of Japanese society and swooped in with a big ol' bear hug in public, right in front of a ton of people, with a girl he WAS NOT DATING! That is a majorly jerkish thing to do when you consider the societal norms in play!

3. Shortly after that there was a bit of a confrontation in Futaba and Kou's classroom when Kou tried to stop Futaba from leaving with Touma after he borrowed Futaba's sewing kit to sew on the button that Touma tore off of his sweater. (Note that Touma accosted Kou and tore a button off of his sweater! That isn't a very nice thing to do...) After seeing the look in Kou's eyes, Touma understood that Kou was still in love with Futaba. So how did he react? He told Futaba that he was "at his limit!" He couldn't wait any longer for an answer. When she was just about to tell him that she couldn't date him, he interrupted her and told her that she would be his girlfriend, right? And, being an idiot, Futaba agreed. Yes, she is at fault for giving in to the pressure, but he is at fault for pressuring the girl he told he would not pressure.

Don't forget that Touma pretty much admitted that he pressured her into accepting him in a previous chapter!

Those things all add up to Touma being a jerk. In addition, he has been sniping back and fourth with Kou for a long time now, knowing perfectly well how Kou feels about Futaba and how Futaba feels about Kou, and will not just back out gracefully. Really, if the girl you're dating tells you that she is still in love with someone else and that someone else has told you that he is still in love with her and that in the end it will be her decision, would you really want to stay with the girl? What is he getting out of it other than stolen kisses that make his "girlfriend" look like she just ate something sour and bear hugs that hurt her? Has Futaba ever initiated a kiss or a hug? Has she ever given him any real reason to believe, other than stupidly agreeing to date him, that she is actually attracted to him? She is staying with him to "try to not hurt him." Is that any way to be in a "relationship"? It is stupid, on both sides.

My fervent hope is that Kou asks her if she has ever wanted to kiss Touma? Has she ever wanted to touch him or sniff the back of his neck? Has she ever felt her heart race when she saw him from across the room? This needs to be AFTER he tells her that he NEVER had a dating relationship with Narumi. If she brings up the fact that he kissed her, he should say this:

Kou: "Remember the first time I kissed you?"
Futaba: [blushing, flustered, stuttering] "w-w-w-welll... uh... yeah..."
Kou: "Did you have any control over whether I kissed you or not?"
Futaba: "NO! You just... just... kissed me without asking!"
Kou: "Did you ever think that when Narumi and I kissed, I might have been in the same situation as you?"

If she doesn't realize that Narumi was only telling her that to make her mad a Kou and that there was never a real dating relationship between them, then she is more stupid than she has seemed so far.

Then he should tell her that he has loved her since they were in 7th grade. That even his classmates in Nagasaki knew that he was in love with a girl from his old school, and that he has not ever, even once, stopped loving her.

If she counters with the fact that he is too late and she is dating Touma now, he should ask her if she really loves Touma or if she still loves him, then go into the part about if she ever wanted to kiss Touma...

But, I expect that Futaba won't give him that much time to talk and that Kou will let her walk away.

What I am most curious about is how Yuuri is going to react to the fact that their other two "FRIENDS" knew all about Kou's situation and did NOTHING to correct the misunderstanding that Futaba had that resulted in her willingness to date a guy she didn't even like. Shuuko has shown this type of "not gonna deal with it" attitude all along, and Aya is so whipped, without even being in a relationship with her, that he went against his better judgement and didn't talk with Futaba about Kou a long time ago. I expect Yurri will be furious and will set Futaba straight, right after Futaba blows up at Kou and, maybe, goes and does something stupid, like sleeping with Touma because she is mad a Kou, which would cement her low self-opinion that has been growing ever since the school trip, leading her to reject both of the guys and probably needing to be "saved" by Kou when she gets too depressed and shuts everyone out.

I don't know if it will go that far though... This author doesn't really have a history of having more than kissing in her stories.
Aug 19, 2014 3:19 PM
Jun 2013
ss4chris said:

Narumi gone? is this life? is there a God? seriously I was okay with her in the beginning but her motives just made her fail as a char in my book. sadly we have people like her in the real world.

omg, are you inside my head or something?!?! really though.
and btw, somebody ought to slap her when she kissed Kou. With all honesty speaking...
Aug 19, 2014 3:24 PM
Jun 2013
LittleStar said:
random_Z said:

Oh my, could you please do me a favor? Could you become the author of Ao haru ride? Because I seriously like your ideas so much! Even the way you express it all is just awesome! >.<
Aug 19, 2014 5:01 PM
Aug 2013
zensunni said:
paperplane11 said:

Well, I could post links to the discussions on why Touma is an ass, but I'll just sum it up here:

1. He went after Futaba immediately after she was rejected by Kou. In general, there is a word for guys that prey on girls when they are vulnerable, that is asshole. He even acknowledged that it was a terrible thing to do, but that he wasn't going to let the opportunity pass him by.

2. He originally told her that he didn't want to pressure her and he wanted her to take her time to think about him as a potential boyfriend, then, just a couple of days later, he asked her out on a date, on that date, they happened to see Kou and Narumi walking together. What were his options of how to deal with that?
a) He could have ignored it and tried to get Futaba to walk along and ignore it herself.
b) He could have acknowledged it by saying "Oh, it looks like they are out together too, just like us." Maybe then Futaba would have thought, "Oh... we aren't dating and we're out together... maybe that is what is going on with them?"
c) He could have told her not to let it bother her and directed the conversation to something more pleasant.

But what did he do? He broke one of the major social taboos of Japanese society and swooped in with a big ol' bear hug in public, right in front of a ton of people, with a girl he WAS NOT DATING! That is a majorly jerkish thing to do when you consider the societal norms in play!

3. Shortly after that there was a bit of a confrontation in Futaba and Kou's classroom when Kou tried to stop Futaba from leaving with Touma after he borrowed Futaba's sewing kit to sew on the button that Touma tore off of his sweater. (Note that Touma accosted Kou and tore a button off of his sweater! That isn't a very nice thing to do...) After seeing the look in Kou's eyes, Touma understood that Kou was still in love with Futaba. So how did he react? He told Futaba that he was "at his limit!" He couldn't wait any longer for an answer. When she was just about to tell him that she couldn't date him, he interrupted her and told her that she would be his girlfriend, right? And, being an idiot, Futaba agreed. Yes, she is at fault for giving in to the pressure, but he is at fault for pressuring the girl he told he would not pressure.

Don't forget that Touma pretty much admitted that he pressured her into accepting him in a previous chapter!

Those things all add up to Touma being a jerk. In addition, he has been sniping back and fourth with Kou for a long time now, knowing perfectly well how Kou feels about Futaba and how Futaba feels about Kou, and will not just back out gracefully. Really, if the girl you're dating tells you that she is still in love with someone else and that someone else has told you that he is still in love with her and that in the end it will be her decision, would you really want to stay with the girl? What is he getting out of it other than stolen kisses that make his "girlfriend" look like she just ate something sour and bear hugs that hurt her? Has Futaba ever initiated a kiss or a hug? Has she ever given him any real reason to believe, other than stupidly agreeing to date him, that she is actually attracted to him? She is staying with him to "try to not hurt him." Is that any way to be in a "relationship"? It is stupid, on both sides.

My fervent hope is that Kou asks her if she has ever wanted to kiss Touma? Has she ever wanted to touch him or sniff the back of his neck? Has she ever felt her heart race when she saw him from across the room? This needs to be AFTER he tells her that he NEVER had a dating relationship with Narumi. If she brings up the fact that he kissed her, he should say this:

Kou: "Remember the first time I kissed you?"
Futaba: [blushing, flustered, stuttering] "w-w-w-welll... uh... yeah..."
Kou: "Did you have any control over whether I kissed you or not?"
Futaba: "NO! You just... just... kissed me without asking!"
Kou: "Did you ever think that when Narumi and I kissed, I might have been in the same situation as you?"

If she doesn't realize that Narumi was only telling her that to make her mad a Kou and that there was never a real dating relationship between them, then she is more stupid than she has seemed so far.

Then he should tell her that he has loved her since they were in 7th grade. That even his classmates in Nagasaki knew that he was in love with a girl from his old school, and that he has not ever, even once, stopped loving her.

If she counters with the fact that he is too late and she is dating Touma now, he should ask her if she really loves Touma or if she still loves him, then go into the part about if she ever wanted to kiss Touma...

But, I expect that Futaba won't give him that much time to talk and that Kou will let her walk away.

What I am most curious about is how Yuuri is going to react to the fact that their other two "FRIENDS" knew all about Kou's situation and did NOTHING to correct the misunderstanding that Futaba had that resulted in her willingness to date a guy she didn't even like. Shuuko has shown this type of "not gonna deal with it" attitude all along, and Aya is so whipped, without even being in a relationship with her, that he went against his better judgement and didn't talk with Futaba about Kou a long time ago. I expect Yurri will be furious and will set Futaba straight, right after Futaba blows up at Kou and, maybe, goes and does something stupid, like sleeping with Touma because she is mad a Kou, which would cement her low self-opinion that has been growing ever since the school trip, leading her to reject both of the guys and probably needing to be "saved" by Kou when she gets too depressed and shuts everyone out.

I don't know if it will go that far though... This author doesn't really have a history of having more than kissing in her stories.

Thank you for this, this post has cleared up so much stuff in my head. I think I should reread the manga and analyze everything more thoroughly to get an even better idea of things.
And you're right Yuuri will be pissed. The only reason she was supporting Futaba was because she didn't know all about the misunderstanding with Kou. Murao should be helping her friends, I don't know why she hates Kou so much that she'd be willing to let Futaba continue her bad relationship with Touma. Does she really think Touma is worth it? Other than Futaba, Touma doesn't really interact with the other people, so no one else knows exactly what he's like.
And you're also right about that annoying public bear hug. That's really rude, if that happened to me, I'd be on the verge of tears from my embarrassment. That is just too over-whelming. And considering Japanese society like you did, that's an even worse thing to do. Gosh dangit Touma. Why are you so desperate?
Aug 19, 2014 6:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ahhh another cliffhanger! It doesn't seem like it'll go well for Kou though :/ maybe Futaba won't shut him down or anything, but I think she might tell him to stop. My ideal situation anyways, since Futaba still does have feelings for Kou but also wants to keep her relationship with Touma going. As long as she doesn't say she likes Touma.

I liked Narumi's background in this chapter, I understand her feelings towards Kou and regarding her thoughts about Futaba. Futaba can be emphatic or sympathetic to what Kou went through, but she'll never know exactly how Kou felt. Neither will Narumi or anyone for that matter, but Narumi has had a much closer experience that resemble's what Kou has gone through, and thus she feels like she understands him the most, and vice versa. Still, she was kind of manipulative and annoying in her ways. I'm just glad she ended up accepting what Kou had to tell her and that she walked away without looking back.

Kou's straightforwardness at the end though made me laugh. Honestly without Narumi, Koutaba would be a thing already. Yet I think Sakisaka decided to write in the (annoying) love rival cliche to further show Kou's personality. Without Narumi, we probably wouldn't know that Kou is the type to focus on one thing at a time (either to support Narumi or to be in a relationship with Futaba). Now whether people like this trait of Kou or not depends on the person.
Aug 20, 2014 12:04 AM

Mar 2012
Ohmygod I was almost on the verge of tears of joy when Kou finally broke free and was starting to take the initiative to chase after Futaba again. And then my excitement was shot down by Futaba's reaction and the subsequent foreboding ending. WHYYYYY do you have to be like this, Futaba? My heart split in half when she brushed him off as an annoyance and thought to herself, "Geez, we're not that close anymore." Hopefully it's a red herring, and even if it isn't, I hope Kou keeps his resolve up and doesn't let it beat him back down. I guess it's Futaba's turn to drive us readers absolutely insane.

But anyways, I was surprised by the main bulk of this chapter surrounding Narumi. I could actually really sympathize with her here. I guess one of the things I preferred about Strobe Edge over AHR was that I always found the female rival in Strobe Edge (Mayuka) far more sympathetic than Narumi. It's always nice to see the flip-side of the coin instead of portraying a character as straight-up villainous. I feel like her past self during her middle school years with Kou wasn't actually all that bad; I feel like her selfishness was later born out of insecurity following the death of her father where she felt that Kou was fundamentally connected to her out of mutual tragedy. It actually touched my heart when Kou talked about how Narumi changed him and taught him how to get along with others. There are some people in life you might come across who become special to you and help you grow but eventually turn rotten in the end, and then you have to come to a realization that you have to let people go despite your reluctance inside feeling that you owe the person for all the gifts they've given you. I feel like that's what happened here with Kou and Narumi, and I feel like I can finally relate. Not only did this chapter help me understand Narumi, but it gave me a lot of insight to Kou and understand the reasons for the mistakes he made with Futaba during the whole Narumi ordeal. That parting scene was really great for me. I felt like both Kou and Narumi grew up a lot in just a few moments. The development in this chapter seriously redeemed this manga so much for me. I hated the lack of dimensionality in the rival characters (Narumi and Touma), but finally we got some light shed on Narumi. I guess I really shouldn't have any expectations for Touma though...

So the situation doesn't look so good between Kou and Futaba right now, but now that we have Kou back on board, I'm still so excited to see where the story will go from here.

EDIT: What's with all the talk on this thread about kissing him? Wasn't that kissing panel just a flashback to when she forced a kiss on him in the past? I'm pretty sure she said that she wasn't going to do that again here. Granted, that page did look kind of confusing at first, but I'm pretty sure she didn't actually kiss him again in this chapter.
nauticalblueAug 20, 2014 12:20 AM
Aug 20, 2014 8:35 AM
Jul 2013
YAY!! Go Kou! <3
I cried when Kou was talking with Narumi 'cause even if I hate her I felt really bad for her...
And I'm really anxious about what Futaba's going to say to Kou *-*
Aug 20, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2012
Narubitch is gone,let's celebrate.
I still don't blame any of them but Futaba. She's an idiot. Poor 2 guys. What the hell do they see in her anyway?
Aug 21, 2014 4:01 PM
Mar 2014
i would actually like if Kou told Futaba something about the "fake" relationship with Touma in this conversation, but i guess i shouldn't get my hopes up this soon, i still don't see a reason on why would Futaba go back right now, she did so much shit already and there is no one to point it out, i guess the one that might be able to save this would be Murao...
Aug 21, 2014 6:45 PM
Sep 2013
tiofrodo said:
i would actually like if Kou told Futaba something about the "fake" relationship with Touma in this conversation, but i guess i shouldn't get my hopes up this soon, i still don't see a reason on why would Futaba go back right now, she did so much shit already and there is no one to point it out, i guess the one that might be able to save this would be Murao...

Murao knew about Kou and Futubas situation the whole time and hasn't done anything to clear up the missunderstandings between them so I doubt that she will be the one to save the day :P.
Aug 21, 2014 8:32 PM
Aug 2013
nauticalblue said:

EDIT: What's with all the talk on this thread about kissing him? Wasn't that kissing panel just a flashback to when she forced a kiss on him in the past? I'm pretty sure she said that she wasn't going to do that again here. Granted, that page did look kind of confusing at first, but I'm pretty sure she didn't actually kiss him again in this chapter.

They are just mad at the fact that Narumi kissed Kou in the past. They know she didn't do it again.

kawaii-despair said:
Narubitch is gone,let's celebrate.
I still don't blame any of them but Futaba. She's an idiot. Poor 2 guys. What the hell do they see in her anyway?

I don't know what Touma sees in her, but Futaba helped Kou out a lot. He was once depressed, but now he has faced many challenges with her help. He likes her for that.
Aug 21, 2014 9:06 PM

Apr 2014
paperplane11 said:

If Toma was in any other series I'm pretty sure I'd like him a lot, but in this one it just feels so obvious that he only exists to be the second lead and the foil to the main guy who Futaba's going to end up with - Kou. Toma is sweet in that he really obviously cares for Futaba and is trying really hard to win her heart, but even after all this time, in my mind I still can't have even the slightest worry that Futaba isn't going to be with Kou in the end. It's only a matter of time and a question of how Kou is going to win back Futaba.

Anyway, I liked this chapter, it was nice to see some development on Narumi's side. I didn't think there was any special reason she liked Kou, but the thing about her forcefully kissing Kou was done well and explains a lot of stuff.
Aug 22, 2014 1:13 AM

Jul 2013
UGH man I used to love Futaba, what happened?

& Touma's obsessive love is so cheap. I can't even remember how or why he fell in love with Futaba.

You can do it, Kou!
"Komugi, are you there?"

Aug 22, 2014 6:54 AM

Jul 2013
[quote=dekopinn]UGH man I used to love Futaba, what happened?

& Touma's obsessive love is so cheap. I can't even remember how or why he fell in love with Futaba.

You can do it, Kou![/quote

Thats because the author never really bothered to show why, he just bumped into her that one time then he just decided that he would make her his gf. Its part of the reason people don't like him and a big flag that the relationship won't last.
Aug 24, 2014 2:05 PM

Oct 2013
Gahhh, I can't wait for the next chapter! xD
Aug 24, 2014 10:55 PM
Mar 2014
wtfitsmegaman said:
tiofrodo said:

Murao knew about Kou and Futubas situation the whole time and hasn't done anything to clear up the missunderstandings between them so I doubt that she will be the one to save the day :P.

i disagree, if Futaba is happy with the current situation i don't see a reason why she should, but i think that she probally will discover that Futaba still likes Kou, and then i think she would talk some sense in Futaba because i am pretty sure she disliked Futaba before she become more honest with herself, and this is clearly the same instance as before, but now is just different people suferring and diferrent reasons.

A lot of Ifs but i think this would be the best way to make a Kou x Futaba ending
And it would give a good role for the friendship that became overshadowed because of useless development between Touma and Futaba.
Sep 1, 2014 1:27 PM
Mar 2011
[quote=Aerensianic]
dekopinn said:
UGH man I used to love Futaba, what happened?

You can do it, Kou![/quote

Thats because the author never really bothered to show why, he just bumped into her that one time then he just decided that he would make her his gf. Its part of the reason people don't like him and a big flag that the relationship won't last.

Because of how they meet, he started watching her. First with disgust, but as he follows her he noticed she is different then he thought.

(Today I reread the whole manga again.)

I am no Touma fan. and while I don't agree with how he does things, I do understand his character.

He is a teenager, just like Futaba made her mistake by agreeing to date Touma.
It reminded me back at strobe edge and how some people really wanted Ninako to date Andou, if she did it would be just like this.
Some may say Andou was a better person then Touma, but the point is Ninako loved Ren, as Futaba loves Kou.

And Kou also is a teenager with his mistakes. He did what he thought was right, but he was wrong. Two girls are hurt in the process because of that, and Kou knows it.

I don't want Kou to get it easy, Futaba shouldn't go easy on him, and Kou should be honest, and fight for her.
I do hope Touma gets the chance to get out of it in a caring way, like Mayuka did with Ren in Strobe Edge.
But in the end Futaba has to realize it on her own that the relation she is in with Touma doesn't work.

And Murao I don't blame her anything, Kou is the one who had to be clear in this, no one else can take that blame.

Kou now has to solve this on his own, and I like that.
I also don't hate Kou, I actually love him and understand him, but I do hope he needs to work a bit before he gets the girl.

I so want to see how Io Sakisaka will write this out, I want chapter 44.
Sep 1, 2014 6:25 PM

Sep 2011
Yeah, but in Strobe Edge the guy she liked had a legit girlfriend so she was like the other woman pushing him to break up with her, so I don't really think the two manga are very much alike even though they are by the same mangaka.
Sep 7, 2014 11:00 PM
Sep 2014
That's right Kou! Toss narumi and get dat fatuba! GOGOGO U GOT THIS!
Sep 8, 2014 2:04 AM

Jul 2008
I got hooked with this manga after watching the anime (5 episodes) gahhhh and I thought the manga is finished and POOFFF!!! I am so stupid I just rushed reading after Ive watched and then now.... its not finished yet!! haha BAKA!

hhmmm when is next chapter will be published????

btw!! KOU KUN! FTW!!!
Sep 8, 2014 3:03 AM
Sep 2014
xxXKittyXxx said:
Am I the only one who's really annoyed with Yoshioka. She got all heartbroken after Kou rejected her, which I understand, but she didn't even take out the time to maybe ask him why (she just assumed he liked Narumi over her, instead of trying to put herself in Kou's shoes). She didn't even stop to think how Kou is in a hard position. Plus, Kou never said he didn't love her, he just said "Sorry." To jump to Touma after that just because he's a nice guy that can "save her" is kinda shallow of Yoshioka. Of course I'm not just bashing Yoshioka, because Kou should have voiced his issues...but Yoshioka should have tried a little more too. And Touma's "love" for Yoshioka is shallow, he just liked her because she's kindhearted and pretty. He's also an ass to go after her right after she was rejected (with that being said, Yoshioka shouldn't have accepted his confession so quick). The last thing that pisses me off is that Yoshioka and Kou became friends before the whole confession thing, so to say "we're not that close anymore" about Kou in Chapter 43, says to me that there relationship was only built on romance and no friendship. In Strobd Edge, although Ninako was rejected at first by Ren, she still valued her friendship with Ren and continued being true whole-hearted friends. I love Yoshioka but damn she can be annoying a little.

I totally agree with you! I am so pissed off at how Futaba accepted Touma, even though she loves Kou. It's shallow and egoistic. Kou would never be able to do the same thing if she rejected him. So I think, in a way, he is more serious than her (I won't say "mature" cause no, he definitely is not mature *giggle*).

As for the "we are not that close anymore", I think she means something like "we are not close in THAT way anymore", since a date is something lovers do, and they - supposedly - are having an affair anymore. I am sure she still, despite everything, considers him as a friend, and she proved it by going with him to his old house in Nagasaki, and not feeling guilty about it. So yeah, the sentence here is only about their romance, I think.
Sep 8, 2014 4:26 AM
Sep 2014
thelovelysnail said:

even after all this time, in my mind I still can't have even the slightest worry that Futaba isn't going to be with Kou in the end. It's only a matter of time and a question of how Kou is going to win back Futaba.

Thanks for writing this, I have been quite worried at how things have been turning out in these latest chapters, and I was beginning to fear Fu would end up with Touma. Since she was thinking so much about their first kiss, even when she did not even recall Kou's kisses once (she only got jelous of Narumi and pissed off, she never though of those moments afterwards! so annoying!).

Having someone say that Kou and Futaba will be together with such certainty makes me feel less scared! LOL
Sep 8, 2014 11:56 AM

Sep 2013
Imagine if the manga ended like this.
Futuba ends up with Touma
Shuuko ends up with the sensei
Aya and Kou end up all alone

If the million to one chance this happens, I'm going to turn into a ghoul and eat the author up.
Sep 9, 2014 6:27 PM
Sep 2014
natsucule said:

If the million to one chance this happens, I'm going to turn into a ghoul and eat the author up.

I would LOL so hard :D
Sep 10, 2014 12:00 PM
Mar 2014
natsucule said:

the way i see Futaba it's totally possible, the way her character developed i think that she does not care about love as much as being in a relationship.
I just hope that before the final veredict the sensei introduces a girl that is better than Futaba if it what you said happens, or at least make Kou break all ties with her.
Sep 10, 2014 11:51 PM

Jun 2014
When will chapter 44 come out?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2014
rothrock said:
xxXKittyXxx said:
Am I the only one who's really annoyed with Yoshioka. She got all heartbroken after Kou rejected her, which I understand, but she didn't even take out the time to maybe ask him why (she just assumed he liked Narumi over her, instead of trying to put herself in Kou's shoes). She didn't even stop to think how Kou is in a hard position. Plus, Kou never said he didn't love her, he just said "Sorry." To jump to Touma after that just because he's a nice guy that can "save her" is kinda shallow of Yoshioka. Of course I'm not just bashing Yoshioka, because Kou should have voiced his issues...but Yoshioka should have tried a little more too. And Touma's "love" for Yoshioka is shallow, he just liked her because she's kindhearted and pretty. He's also an ass to go after her right after she was rejected (with that being said, Yoshioka shouldn't have accepted his confession so quick). The last thing that pisses me off is that Yoshioka and Kou became friends before the whole confession thing, so to say "we're not that close anymore" about Kou in Chapter 43, says to me that there relationship was only built on romance and no friendship. In Strobe Edge, although Ninako was rejected at first by Ren, she still valued her friendship with Ren and continued being true whole-hearted friends. I love Yoshioka but damn she can be annoying a little.

same here
Sep 17, 2014 12:42 PM

Mar 2014
I started to read the manga yesterday because the anime was too much frustrating.
Now its getting worse.
Sep 18, 2014 12:22 PM
Jul 2009
I spent too much time on reading the whole manga (after 15th chapter, because we have 4 volumes in Poland right now) since yesterday. I didn't learn for my english test, all I was doing in school was thinking what will happen. I've just finished this chapter and I can't believe how complicated it is now! I knew it was a manga so I expected someone who would come between Kou and Futaba. I'm fed up with them going around and making all worst. I can't believe Futaba lost her feelings for Kou so fast, it's impossible. And her explanation:"Touma seems nice, I will like him because he can help me move on". And why, why she didn't even ask Kou about everything?! She was just like "oh okay, I'm rejected, there's nothing to explain, I will be sad but I'll accept it". Why are girls in manga always so stupid? And I want to know what their discussion will be like. But I feel, that something bad will happen.
NekiertaSep 18, 2014 12:25 PM
Sep 21, 2014 2:06 PM

Dec 2012
Chiyo361 said:
Futaba is definitely going to reject him.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 49 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LittleStar - Feb 11, 2015

107 by Rhaelynne »»
Mar 8, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 45 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Oct 11, 2014

98 by CoomSlayer69 »»
Oct 15, 2023 8:32 AM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 23 Discussion

blue-y - Nov 8, 2012

39 by hydumpling »»
Jul 18, 2023 3:09 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Sep 8, 2012

65 by hydumpling »»
Jul 18, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Nov 10, 2014

99 by minnaslay127 »»
Jun 4, 2023 9:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.