Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 11, 2015 1:48 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
I think this film was too much artsiness and not enough telling or exposition. Like the post before me, it felt too much like a Hollywood film and it's way too much symbolic for less than two hours.

Not exactly hollywood because they can't reproduce surrealism on that level. Whats the problem of the "excess" of symbolism? This one of things that will never leave surrealism (thank god), and thats the keyword for Satoshi Kon.
Jan 11, 2015 1:52 PM

Jul 2012
surfboard_ said:
Whats the problem of the "excess" of symbolism?

Not everyone likes that. I think there should be a fine line between just enough and too much, in this time span.
Jan 15, 2015 7:15 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting concept, characters and ost for sure, did expect more from it though but still thought it was a good watch.

Jan 19, 2015 1:51 AM

Sep 2014
Still like Perfect Blue better, but this was pretty good. I love being mindfucked.
Jan 19, 2015 4:32 AM

Nov 2013
really good movie, reminded me of inception
mitch3315 said:
Sasuke and Naruto kissed, show is obviously hardcore yaoi.
Jan 19, 2015 7:30 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
Not everyone likes that. I think there should be a fine line between just enough and too much, in this time span.

I think you're picking at the wrong anime. When I think of your complaint, Mawaru Penguindrum is the show that fits it perfectly. The excess of it is so much that at some point it stops weighing, which is pretty much the problem of this show (for me). Even if its an artistic perspective where the director have total freedom of it, I think that this is the perfect example of the problems of excess of symbolism (its like a primitive soup - full of substance but doesn't have a clear form)
Jan 19, 2015 7:33 PM

Jul 2012
Mawaru Penguindrum is over 8 hours long. That is enough time to absorb everything. :> Plus, all the characters are laid out and you know who everyone is and what their purpose is. The first half of the show already set up the setting and plot while the confusing stuff came later on. With Paprika, the entire movie was confusing mindfuckery from the start to end and only in the span of less than 2 hours.
Jan 19, 2015 8:34 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
Mawaru Penguindrum is over 8 hours long. That is enough time to absorb everything.

What have you absorbed? (inb4 wrong forum)

mayukachan said:
Plus, all the characters are laid out and you know who everyone is and what their purpose is. The first half of the show already set up the setting and plot while the confusing stuff came later on.

This isn't exactly what I meant but I'll use your reply to support the fact that with so many connotations behind everything you stop to count them or take it into consideration, maybe because of the lack of "development" or simply because theres no deeper meaning at all. I think that Penguindrum have something going on behind the whole journey of determinism and dualism, but its so well buried that we doesn't exactly know where to dig. I think that the director was lost in thought and couldn't completely convey his feelings (which is something that happens with everyone eventually)

mayukachan said:
With Paprika, the entire movie was confusing mindfuckery from the start to end and only in the span of less than 2 hours.

If you aren't familiarized with surrealism and the nature of "dream", this film is nothing but "confusing mindfuckery". Language can't properly convey the visual aspect and its philosophical connotation (as much as I hate Wittgenstein's efforts to demonstrate language limitations, for now I have to back up and merely reproduce his concepts, though I ~secretly~ plan to prove him wrong someday with minimal chance of success). If anything, I wish they would give some space to interpret each dream.
Mar 1, 2015 9:27 AM

Jun 2012
Watched it. It's a 6/10 enjoyable romp. On the plus side, the movie oozes style, has fantastic art direction and animation, the OST is a perfect representation of the disorder and chaos presented in the dream world.

On the negative, the plot was fairly weak. It feels as though Kon had a concept he wanted to try out so badly he went with whatever script he could get that wold pass muster. I felt as though the motivations of some characters weren't clear enough and that of others were shallow. The ending was disappointing and doesn't make any sense to me either.

A personal peeve: Tokita. I don't care about this weight, I just find him a distasteful character, and I would have preferred it if Chiba ended up with Konakawa. I had the impression Konakawa and Paprika, i.e. Chiba were building up towards that. Whatever, the romance was hardly a focus.
Mar 1, 2015 6:45 PM
Aug 2014
Can someone explain the ending? :D

Why was Paprika able to swallow the chairman dream? why the 2 worlds marge?

So confuse xD
Mar 17, 2015 2:33 PM
Apr 2014
I liked it, I was able to enjoy its weirdness and vivid imagination. But what was the final point of the movie? What message did it want to give? I felt that only the last part was a bit inferior to the rest of the movie.
On another note, the reality/dream part reminded me so much of Paranoia Agent that I just had to check... and I discovered it was done by Satoshi Kon as well. Isn't Paprika finale exactly the same as Paranoia Agent?
I liked the art and music a lot, but I must say that I'm one of the few who actually preferred Inception over this one. It's a solid 7/10 from me.
Apr 18, 2015 5:23 PM

Feb 2014
Woo, it was really good. ^^ Some parts scared me but the others were funny!

I cannot explain my feelings about this anime, but I don't think that was wasted time. ^^ I'm glad that I saw it. 10/10 form me.
Jun 4, 2015 10:33 AM

Mar 2015
Great movie by Satoshi Kon,may he rest in peace.
Really liked everything about it and I don't see how it can be compared to PB...they have a completely different approach and core-theme.PB was a big middlefinger to the industry/subculture of that age and that is obviously not the case for Paprika.
Really awesome movie,enjoyed it to the max.
Jun 20, 2015 1:08 PM

Feb 2015
Wow... I cant believe I only just found this now.

Screw Inception... this is the greatest lucid dream movie. Gave me LOADS of ideas tonight.

The ending could've been a bit better though.
Jun 21, 2015 5:43 PM

Jul 2012
This was my first Satoshi Kon film, and it was definitely an interesting one. I really like the idea of the DC Mini, and I also really like the story of the detective about the movie he made with his friend.
Jul 2, 2015 1:04 AM

May 2012
once again, satoshi kon is a fucking genius lol, i loved how it showed his other films there in the end :p
Jul 24, 2015 12:02 PM
Dec 2013
I went into this movie, not knowing a single thing about it, as it was suggested by a friend. I hadn't even really heard of this movie until my friend mentioned it. And wow, I'm glad I didn't read a synopses, because I feel like that would have ruined some of the magic of this movie. With that being said, It's safe for me to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Aug 28, 2015 9:43 AM

Jun 2015

Nice details there for the rest of Kon and Madhouse previous work (from right to left)
Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers
Sep 4, 2015 4:03 PM

Oct 2007
Lordwen said:
Nice details there for the rest of Kon and Madhouse previous work (from right to left)
Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers

And the one with clouds is for the future work, The Dream Machine, which sadly never came to be due to Kon's untimely death.
Oct 2, 2015 5:57 AM

Sep 2014
Fantastic movie, I was glued to it from start to finish, really enjoyed it.
Mirai, zura~!
Oct 2, 2015 3:49 PM

Feb 2014
Wow that movie was totally a big WTF but I actually liked it a lot! The whole dream thing was very interesting. The music was awesome at times, and the visuals were very well done. I had a little trouble following the story though. While some parts were super weird (like when that guy smushed his hand in paprika's crotch and dug up her body O_o), there were also a lot of funny parts (like when paprika smacked the mad doctor who was kissing her). Overall if give this an 8-9/10!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2015 8:41 PM

Jan 2015
What?...
I started watching this because I've been hearing that Inception got the idea of dream machine from this anime but... WTF? This movie was so random, but I liked it somehow, the animation was really good and I kinda liked Paprika/Chiba.
Soundtrack was weirdly good!
I felt I was inside a dream watching this. It is a movie that proves the unlimited potential behind what people can do with their imaginations.
8/10
ResonanceDec 15, 2015 8:45 PM
Dec 24, 2015 5:07 AM
Jun 2013
This is the first time in a while where I finished an anime and wanted to rewatch it immediately. Very good movie. I gave it a 9/10 but honestly I think this is an anime that I will enjoy more on the second and third watch so I'm looking forward to that.
Dec 24, 2015 3:18 PM
Dec 2014
thatguy said:
sakR9 said:
It was a fantastic movie but the nudity ruined it for me

I agree I thought it was completely unnecessary. I could understand if they were in some sort of erotic dream but it wasn't and as such it felt tacked on.

The plot was indeed fantastical but I mean you're dealing with a machine that goes into people's dreams and processes it as an image everyone else can watch. Allegedly such things are in the theoretical stage but I doubt we'll see anything of the sort in the next few 100 years.

I believe the point of the movie was that dreams provide people with a more honest look at themselves and situations. Hence the Detective's realization about his friend and movie aspirations and Dr. Chiba's emotional disconnect and her confession about the fat genius. As for the DC mini they said that all they needed to do was put in the limitators to prevent all that but the fat guy didn't for whatever reason and it was stolen. I'm assuming that they'll program the limiters and a situation like that won't happen again...until the DC Large :p
Osanai was obsessed with Atsuko what do you mean there was nothing erotic about it that was the whole purpose of his dream lol.
Dec 29, 2015 9:14 AM

Sep 2014
Just watched it and i must say it was a wonderful experience. Another outstanding creation of Satoshi Kon. Damn!, The OP was sooo Cool. That OP itself is Magnificent creation. Haven't seen an OP like in a while.The Art was Good and plot was interesting. That Nudity was totally unnecessary. Apart from that, the Movie was really Great and I Enjoyed it.
Dec 29, 2015 4:36 PM
Jan 2012
I loved this film and would call this a classic. In only 90 or so minutes, it accomplished what it wanted to achieve. A clear example how stunning visuals and great music could be a whole story in itself even without adding any story.
Feb 7, 2016 12:55 PM

Aug 2012
Atsuko and Tokita... yeah righ, time to wake up guys!
That was one hell of a parade, I wouldn't mind to dream of it. Don't see anything crazy about it, just imaginative and fun.
The anime has a similar overblown ending to Shonen Bat... and generally this movie feels repetitive, not much to be impressed with. A good watch still., feel like giving it 7-8.
8 for great visials
Feb 19, 2016 4:35 PM

May 2014
Absolutely brilliant film, the visuals, music and story just come together so well to make something that can be rewatched and understood even more, probably enjoyed it more than Inception because of the surrealism.
10/10 for an animated film.
I've been here way too long...
Mar 23, 2016 6:16 AM

Dec 2015
A lot of borderline intelligible dialogue that people said when they were dreaming felt so cryptic in structure (as in, so much like cryptic clues in English crosswords.) Did anybody else feel this? I guess that the people dreaming were just delusional would be a perfectly reasonable explanation as well. But the sentence structure irks me. I don't know if you can really even set cryptic clues in Japanese, what with Kanji and all. But even if cryptic clues were actually there, they were lost in translation. (If you speak Japanese, tell me how Japanese cryptic crosswords might work.)

On an unrelated note, did you guys see the Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers posters when Konakawa went to watch Dreaming Kids?
May 23, 2016 7:26 AM

May 2010
King_Bumi said:
Great movie. What the fuck was Paprika though?

Paprika was the subconscious version of that lady
May 23, 2016 7:32 AM

May 2010
ObliviousOkapi said:
A lot of borderline intelligible dialogue that people said when they were dreaming felt so cryptic in structure (as in, so much like cryptic clues in English crosswords.) Did anybody else feel this? I guess that the people dreaming were just delusional would be a perfectly reasonable explanation as well. But the sentence structure irks me. I don't know if you can really even set cryptic clues in Japanese, what with Kanji and all. But even if cryptic clues were actually there, they were lost in translation. (If you speak Japanese, tell me how Japanese cryptic crosswords might work.)

On an unrelated note, did you guys see the Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers posters when Konakawa went to watch Dreaming Kids?

The whole movie is un-necessarily criptic imo. It leaves the viewer dumbfounded after watching. Thus, making you have watch it multiple times just to understand alot of the plot....I'm not going to do that. I'm not saying I wanted to be spoon-fed answers in the movies narrative, but its very obvious that this movie is like a Giant puzzle. 7/10
May 27, 2016 5:34 PM

Oct 2012
Visually stunning and clever movie that delves very deep into our very consciousness. I found it very though-provoking though not quite on par with Inception movie. I even found some paralels to The Cell with Jennifer Lopez that was filmed some six years before this (even though Paprika novel by Tsutsui Yasutaka who also wrote Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo was published in 1993).

My minor issue with this movie is that character and motives of main antagonist weren't really fleshed out and I think man/woman balance in the end would fit theme better than devouring but overall it sticked together pretty well. Although Chiba-Tokita thing in the end felt a little bit forced, given there were no hints prior to it even though I understand she did that to finally accept herself. But overall, I definitely enjoyed whole experience. And there is also some rewatch potential as few things were made so they can be explained in multiple ways.

7-8/10 Unique and unforgettable movie experience unlike any other.
Jun 28, 2016 2:17 AM

Jun 2016
Not really my favourite movie by Satoshi Kon, the music was great and the visual is stunning (the freaking parade). The plot was interesting...? (the character are, for some reason, more "normal" than in other movie by Satoshi).
I enjoyed it.
Jul 2, 2016 11:18 AM
Jun 2016
I did not understand anything throughout that but I liked it.
Jul 10, 2016 12:01 PM

Sep 2013
good plot, atleast the premise was understandable but was over-exaggerated in artsy projection. Felt like the movie promoted the visual crew with a simple story.

So, the detective resolve his trauma, Atsuko and Tokita tied knot together, the bad duo were stopped, btw what about Himuro???????
Aug 6, 2016 7:21 PM

Sep 2015
Not much to say except this was the first Satoshi Kon movie I've seen and I really liked it. The dream visuals were really trippy, the animation was gorgeous and it bounced around a lot of ideas for you to chew on. I'm going to have to rewatch it, but one of the things I found most confusing was what exactly was the relationship between the Chairman and that one creepy Doctor who ripped Aoba out of her Paprika skin. Will definitely be trying to watch more Kon movies soon, what a trippy energetic treat and that music was really insane.
Aug 8, 2016 4:29 AM

Mar 2010
Hmm the ending was quite comfusing but I loved the movie.

From what I get is the issues causing the dreams were resolved or at least most of them were.
And the journey they had was in that move now? Thats what I got out of it..

9/10 i just love cryptic movies or series
Aug 17, 2016 5:22 AM

Feb 2013
Interesting and weird.
It was hot when he put his hand inside Paprika.
Aug 21, 2016 4:50 PM

Jan 2015
Nice little references to his previous works at the end. I'll have to check them out.
Oct 1, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2015

 I don't think I am dumb but surely I don't understand what I just watched.
 I ended up even worse than in the beginning of the movie, without understanding a thing, aside from the obvious.

 What was Paprika really? Did the dreams really mixed with reality? What was the entire objective of the movie? What was the importance of the detective's dream in the story? or the other dreams? What was the president pursuing to begging with? Again, what the hell did I just watch?

 I know the focus is a dream-scape, and the shots really helped in that matter, it really felt like a dream but, I got lost because I saw no objective. I waited the entire movie for a moment in where I could have said "Ohhh, now I get it! but it never came.

 I won't be able to write an amazing comment or review stating how magnificent this movie is, because I surely didn't enjoy it like others did.

 Note that in the technical side, the movie is great. Good animation, sound effects, photography, etc. All of that was handled nicely but, the plot... I couldn't grasp it.
Oct 11, 2016 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
Ah Kon Satoshi you beautiful man may you rest in peace...

As expected from him this was such a great movie unfortunetely with some major flaws I'm not gonna go deep and write a whole review thingy because I suck at making analyses and writing reviews in general.

Also I really do not like to make comparison and I know they are completely different in many aspects but I believe Perfect Blue is just superior to Paprika in everyway possible.The characterization the climax the overall story how it was a ginormus middle finger to the obsessive idol fans even the mindfuck part...there are still some things I'm not certain/am suspicious about PB's ending.It was a brilliant movie..
Nov 4, 2016 10:44 PM

Oct 2016
It was a wonderful movie. I give 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2016 11:50 PM

Oct 2015
That was an inception style anime movie but lesser. The story had a great idea but there were mistakes there and there other than that it was mind blowing. sometimes i did not tell the difference between reality and a dream. The way Paprika defeated the chairman was a let down, by absorbing him hmm.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 13, 2017 8:04 AM

May 2016
This movie is two hours long but I had to stretch it to twice its duration to take in all the trippiness and understand it.

Paprika is At-chan's split personality that took form courtesy of the DC-Mini.

Konakawa was in love with Paprika because she helped him deal with some unfinished business with his friend.

Himuro is in love with Osanai and is jealous of his boss Tokita because Osanai's interested in him because of the DC-Mini.

Chairman is an old dude who's literally always on a chair and is clearly a megalomaniac who dislikes dreams being accessed by others because it's the only place where he can be all powerful and not be confined by his disabilities. He needed Osanai to do his dirty work because he can't move much and all that (I think that he really wouldn't agree to have sex with Himuro for the dream device to say the least).

Anyway... the dream parade sequences are incredibly flamboyant, awesome and disturbing all in the same time. It's hilarious to see the victims scream out gibberish and act like braindead happy-go-lucky nutjobs xD I might have nightmares later tho ,_,

Midway through the movie, I searched up radioclub.jp and found out that it was real albeit with a lot of Japanese that I didn't understand. Go give it a try~

The final fight was a little underwhelming considering how silly and abrupt it ended up (it's a dream; anything can happen). But it's nice that they added in a better view of her tits.

I was surprised that At-chan tied the knot with Tokita. I guess that there's hope for people like us after all xD

Nice reference to Satoshi Kon's previous movies showing in the cinema~ Overall, I enjoyed Paprika for the mindfucking inception movie it is and I enjoyed it a lot more than Perfect Blue :3

Jan 27, 2017 2:45 PM

Oct 2014
my thoughts on this are mixed

i've tried to watch it before, but could never get into it or would fall asleep (i would always try to watch it late at night lol) but i decided to finally stick through to it, and while i didn't find it to be as good as i've seen it hyped up to be i did somewhat enjoy certain parts

i often see perfect blue and paprika compared together, and between the two i'd definitely say i do prefer perfect blue.

let me start by saying i am a HUGE fan of psychological and horror themes, they're probably my absolute favorite to watch in anime. and while the prospect of paprika was interesting, i did find it incredibly confusing (like serial experiments lain confusing) and a bit slow at times.

there were parts i enjoyed - chiba/paprika's dream was one of my favorites. i wasn't expecting osanai to be an antagonist, and his obsession with her genuinely creeped me out (but in a good way if that makes sense? i've always enjoyed reading manga/watching anime/movies with obsessive loves, they're the one thing that can actually make me scared)

i also LOVED the animation, although it was nothing short of a kon movie where the animation is always superb. still, it was amazing. the score was very good too.

overall, i gave this a 6. while it wasn't my absolute favorite work of kon's, it did have qualities i enjoyed, and i would probably watch it again one day
Feb 10, 2017 11:35 PM

Aug 2007
I really like Satoshi Kon's work.

I feel like this was almost an extension of Paranormal Agent, which was a great series.
Compared to Perfect Blue, I actually prefer this type of style much more.
7/10, like Paranormal Agent -- Perfect Blue I scored average (5/10) for reference.

I think it's because the characters are more likeable. I found Chiba falling in love with Tokita refreshing. Though Tokita was sometimes the brunt of the joke, they humanized him than just making him "that one fat person."

Feb 23, 2017 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
I felt I was on a drug trip lol. Interesting movie and the overall message abt dreams was pretty clear but the story was really meh for me, although the direction allowed tons of creativity in experimenting with dreams. Nothing to say abt Kon's direction and animation as they have been always great, 7/10.
Mar 30, 2017 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
I knew I had some Mousou Dairinrin vibes off of this one.
Mostly because of the music and illustration I guess.
I enjoyed this movie even if it was strange with the dreams, visuals, etc.
It was quite a fun ride. 7/10.
Jun 24, 2017 5:15 PM

Jun 2013
Just by taking it at face value, this was already a fun time, thanks to the crazy visuals. But I also appreciated the theme of imagination vs reality (apparently a recurring one of Kon's works), and childishness vs adulthood. It left me wanting more, I wouldn't mind watching a series with characters like Chiba, Tokita, Konakawa and Shima; they weren't all fully realized but they were sufficiently charismatic.

The main characters reminded me of GitS: Stand Alone Complex, maybe that was one reason why I expected there to be no conventional villain behind the incident. I think that was one shortcoming of the movie, that the antagonists were a bit underdeveloped. I couldn't get a full grasp on their motivations. I also didn't see exactly what it added to the story that not one, not two but four of the characters had a crush on Chiba (even if it is understandable, haha). I wasn't a huge fan of the inclusion of Chiba's romance with Tokita, but at least I could see that the two characters complimented each other, and their relationship was thematically relevant to Chiba's character arc (immaturity and maturity).

There are some bits that I will probably remember for a while, like Konakawa's therapy sessions, the carnival, the opening sequence, the part where Atsuko swallowed the big bad, and some of Paprika's adventures in general.

thatguy said:
I believe the point of the movie was that dreams provide people with a more honest look at themselves and situations. Hence the Detective's realization about his friend and movie aspirations and Dr. Chiba's emotional disconnect and her confession about the fat genius.

I like this explanation.
LeeTailorJun 24, 2017 5:42 PM
Jun 27, 2017 3:16 AM

Jun 2015
I didn't fully grasp the film, but if I did I would've enjoyed it more
Maybe it warrants rewatch
Otherwise, it was pretty enjoyable
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» So, who killed the victim in that homicide case?

Samu-tan - Aug 27, 2010

9 by Beatnik »»
Jan 1, 9:00 AM

» For what reasons do you like this movie?

Unknow0059 - Apr 16, 2017

10 by nekogaro7 »»
Oct 17, 2023 7:29 AM

» What's the movie Konakawa watch at the end of the movie ?

Tsunamii_ - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:14 AM

» questions about paprika [spoilers]

darrenkbenn - Sep 14, 2021

3 by JeremiahOrange »»
Sep 14, 2021 11:19 PM

» What the hell did I just watch?

RandomPerson4 - Dec 30, 2012

25 by tabernac »»
Feb 28, 2021 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.