Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Apr 6, 2021 3:42 PM

May 2014
I got around to rewatching this today, having remembered what a fantastic film it had been the first time around, as well as to show it to my brother.

Right about the end, I realize that she has feelings for the fat guy and not the detective and marries him (presumably since her surname changes to his) instead of for the detective, who's literally more charismatic, interesting and a better fit for her. That definitely left a sour taste in my mouth I have to say lol, always thought she ended up with the detective.
Anyone else think that was a weird choice to go with? Film went from a 9 to a 7.5 for me just cause of that.
I've been here way too long...
Apr 30, 2021 3:57 AM
Sep 2019
My expectations from a 2000's anime was very low and it was very interesting to watch this despite the year it was residing in, the animation was well made. The art was very colorful, some shadows were missing and not well presented. And again, despite the year, the audios and voices went and blended well with the theme. This is the type of movie where you won't just know major details from just watching the first quarter part, but while progressing all throughout the movie, you'll start to understand it more clearly.

I love dementia genre, it might be a little too confusing for a shitty brain like mine to understand, but once you understand it, you'll start to die over it and really feel how unique the genre is from the others.

Also looked up info and some works the studio director made, turns out the director also made other minor-hit movies. Majority of his' watchers said that Paprika was his' best made movie and i can see why.

Visuals/Art: 8.5/10
Characters: 8/10
Plot/Story: 9/10
Originality: 10/10
Theme: 8/10
Paprika: 11/10
Apr 30, 2021 3:57 AM
Sep 2019
My expectations from a 2000's anime was very low and it was very interesting to watch this despite the year it was residing in, the animation was well made. The art was very colorful, some shadows were missing and not well presented. And again, despite the year, the audios and voices went and blended well with the theme. This is the type of movie where you won't just know major details from just watching the first quarter part, but while progressing all throughout the movie, you'll start to understand it more clearly.

I love dementia genre, it might be a little too confusing for a shitty brain like mine to understand, but once you understand it, you'll start to die over it and really feel how unique the genre is from the others.

Also looked up info and some works the studio director made, turns out the director also made other minor-hit movies. Majority of his' watchers said that Paprika was his' best made movie and i can see why.

Visuals/Art: 8.5/10
Characters: 8/10
Plot/Story: 9/10
Originality: 10/10
Theme: 8/10
Paprika: 11/10
Jul 15, 2021 8:23 AM

Jul 2015
Love thisss! kinda lost track in the middle of the movie and khad to keep replaying some scene to understand what was going on, haha. but overall awesome! paprika best girl.
Jul 18, 2021 8:43 AM

Nov 2014
So my 1 major question is what is Paprika's backstory?

I don't remember if the film ever stop to explain how Paprika came to be. I get that she's Atsuko's alter ego or something, but everybody is super causal about the fact that Atsuko has a split personality and it's never really explored, cause so many other plot threads are going on.
Aug 4, 2021 3:35 PM

Sep 2014
I dont remember when I first/last watched this, must have been ages ago.
Amazing movie still.

And how does it still look so good 15 years later?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 21, 2021 5:30 AM

Aug 2018
I've been planning to watch this movie quite some time ago but just couldn't get myself into doing it, I've finaly did it today tho.

This is a pretty complex and unique film, truly something that you don't see very often specially in anime. The idea itself was executed damn nicely and Madhouse animation quality really delivered to the standarts.

Paprika as a character is very likable and well developed in such a quick amount of time which is amazing. Overall it had a nice cast of characters but it still felt confusing to the very end.

For me this film is truly good and provokes thinking in order to fully enjoy it as it was intended to. If I had to compare it to another work of Satoshi Kon's that I had seen before which is Perfect Blue, I'd say I enjoyed that film a little bit more than Paprika but overall the film really delivered nicely on its themes

8.3/10

Sep 28, 2021 1:08 PM

Mar 2020
Theres no story, nothing is ever explained, even within the reality of the movie nothing makes sense and none of the characters are memorable/likeable except Paprika.
Yes it has great animation and it seems that is enough to make most people like it but unfortunately not me.
Oct 2, 2021 7:41 PM

May 2014
A mystery movie that is strangely good in its own unique way. I like how it showed how the result of the combo of dreams and technology in a very strange and unrealistic way. Very interesting that they used an obese anime character. Never seen that before. I felt it was strange, but I liked it. Very nice animation and plot and the character development were good too.
Oct 19, 2021 11:14 PM

Jul 2016
An amazing visual experience. That's for sure.
Story was also engaging enough except for the last few minutes featuring the final confrontation. The way in how it was solved felt kinda abrupt in my opinion.

Also, don't misunderstand me but Chiba having romantic feelings for Tokita came so out of nowhere it sure ended up being the most WTF moment in the entire movie.
Jan 6, 2022 7:16 AM

Aug 2020
Bruh... what the hell did I just watch? I knew it was avant garde, but I didn't expect it to go this heavy. I was expecting it to be like When They Cry (another avant grade show), where it is confusing at first, but then gets more understandable the more you watch.

rinirax said:
Theres no story, nothing is ever explained, even within the reality of the movie nothing makes sense and none of the characters are memorable/likeable except Paprika.
Yes it has great animation and it seems that is enough to make most people like it but unfortunately not me.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. This is my first Satoshi Kon movie. Not a good introduction to his works.

Some shows can be confusing, yet enjoyable at the same time. I did not enjoy this movie one bit. I was never invested in its "story" or characters. You could say it's not my type of show, then again, what does this movie have to offer again?

So how do I rate a movie I didn't enjoy which made no sense? Idk. For now, it gets below-average, a 4 out of 10.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jan 21, 2022 5:31 AM

Jun 2017
This anime movie is not my cup of tea! I expect more from this, the only good part about this movie for me was that I kept looking forward to what the conclusion would be because it's such a mystery. In the end, it didn't live up to my expectations.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Mar 8, 2022 5:28 PM

Jan 2021
The whole concept of the movie was cool and Kinda feel happy for Tokita and Chiba liking each other the animation style and visuals were also really good
Mar 29, 2022 5:52 PM
Oct 2019
Watching this in 2022, this movie really aged well.
it still looks really good after 16 YEARS....

Anime that inspired Inception. i can see it now.

Blending Reality and Dreams, what an Crazy Experience for 1 hour and 30 mins.
I love how Satoshi Kon put his previous movie in the ending scene.
Now i have to watch all of that right?

sadly it was the last film by the Legendary Satoshi Kon.
RIP GOAT!

Easy 9/10

davidyodo24Mar 29, 2022 5:56 PM
Apr 27, 2022 2:59 AM

Sep 2020
I am totally speechless 😶 This is a masterpiece 10/10
Jul 9, 2022 4:08 AM
Nov 2020
Love this movie even though my brain was messed up XD
Aug 19, 2022 12:08 AM
Jun 2022
It was so insightful. The movie definitely comes under the category of wierdcore! Although it was hard for me to understand it at first but the meaning behind this masterpiece was wonderful! Its motive is for everyone to embrace their authentic true selves! LOVELY
Oct 5, 2022 1:15 AM
Apr 2021
amazing!!! love the soundtrack especially!!
Oct 7, 2022 3:24 PM
Oct 2019
What an amazing movie, forget for a moment the aspect of blending dreams and multiple unconscious selves with one another. This movie will astound you with how psychologically accurate it is to confront and ultimately merge with your shadow/unconscious. Many aspects of you are always there, with their own personalities ready to emerge, they live in your dreams and ideas without your knowledge if one isn't paying attention. A collision with the shadow is terrifying and brutal to your ego, yet it manifests a purity within you. The goal of self-realization was hinted at in this movie. Paprika was the unrealized aspect of Chiba, she knew it full well, but couldn't accept that she wasn't the puppet master but rather the puppet. One must go with the other, there is no shadow without the light, and no light without the shadow. Paprika was her higher self, in a domain that exists without time and space; one could only be so lucky to have such a relationship with your higher self.

This movie truly makes you propose the question: "Is it me steering this ship, what do I need to do to understand who is?" You must always tell the truth, even to yourself, deceiving yourself makes the unrealized aspects of you foggier and unfulfilled. Acceptance and a cautious submission when meditating and imagining will get you closer to the aspects of your shadow. It can attempt to trick you, or humiliate you, but understand there's an honorable reason that it might treat you this way. It knows you, better than you know yourself. Play with your shadow, listen to your shadow, and above all, love your shadow. It's you and your shadow together on this journey, your relationship with yourself defines your relationship with others. You will understand your friends and loved ones deeply with the transcendent by your side. Bring the unrealized content to your consciousness and watch how bright and beautiful this world will become for you.

I am prone to connecting the ideas of Jung and Krishna to everything I read and watch. However, Paprika made it all the clearer as to why I do.

10/10
Oct 15, 2022 8:46 PM
Oct 2020
good but kinda confusing to my small brain
Oct 30, 2022 8:16 AM

Nov 2021
ayo Tokita-kun chill (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄
Nov 21, 2022 2:08 PM
Nov 2022
It's ok, but it's look difficult, just difficult
Jan 17, 2023 1:35 AM

Oct 2021
I have no words to describe the mind fuck i got after watching this, interesting concept and on top of that with music by the goat Susumu Hirasawa.

I also liked the Paprika's character very much and animation itself was splendid (better than most of animes nowadays). Definitely a 10/10 in my book.
Jan 22, 2023 12:04 PM

May 2020
Now it's been some good years since I last watched Inception. May not remember everything but there were obvious similarities here in this movie which made me recall some of the segments in that one.

Visually, the movie speaks better than the story itself which due to its incoherent manner made it somewhat difficult to care about the characters and their motivations. I did get some by reading through but for the majority of the time it felt things were happening just for the sake of it, I mean they didn't even tell how Paprika came into being to begin with.

Shock factor took care of the constant engagement throughout its duration and it peaked in those last minutes.. yes when Chiba mentioned she has feelings for fatso. I mean.. fine but it sure was sudden lol.

OST is a blessing to ears. Though now I hope I someday get a chance to rewatch this, because of the two movies I've watched of this man, Satoshi Kon, they both kept me hanging in the end. Will go with 7 for the time being.
Softhenic03Jan 22, 2023 12:10 PM
Mar 2, 2023 8:46 AM

Mar 2022
This is a spectacular film I honestly never thought I’d see anything like this. I guess the best way to describe is that’s it’s basically like Inception but a lot more crazier and it’s Anime. Plus it does help that Paprika inspired quite a lot of what happens in Inception. Paprika I think was a great character, the story was very engaging, trippy but engaging, visuals are just top notch and the soundtrack, oh my god, the soundtrack is incredible. This is honestly the first time I’ve ever watched one of Satoshi Kon’s works, it’s sad that he died and we won’t be able to see his last work that he ever made but at the same time it does make me want to watch more of his stuff like Perfect Blue or the Millennium Actress. I give this film a 9/10.
Mar 18, 2023 2:41 PM

Feb 2020
As a huge fan of Perfect Blue which I consider to be an absolute masterpiece, I came into this movie with very high expectations. To be honest, it didn't quite meet them, but it was still a great experience.

It had Satoshi Kon's creativity and ability to confuse the viewers while at the same time perfectly handling the story which was part of what made me love PB, and I found the messages and characters to be very interesting. The policeman, in particular, was a great character and I found his journey to healing to be the best part of the movie.
But the rest was also very good ! The whole thing surrounding Atsuko/Paprika was quite confusing, but from what I've gathered, Paprika is basically a persona inside Atsuko's mind, like an alter ego of some sort, symbolizing different aspects of her personality, although it is also implied that she sorts of hides behind this persona, this "perfect woman"... It would be very long to write down my full analysis right now but it was definitely interesting.
I wasn't so fond of the president though, he works well as a source of conflict/metaphor, but as an actual character I found him to be quite weak, unfortunately. Same for the other characters actually, I liked them but they didn't captivate me.

But really, it was a great movie anyway. It definitely won't stay with me the way Perfect Blue did and I can't even call it a new favorite (at least right now, maybe my opinion will change after some analysis although no matter what I doubt I'll put it on the same level as PB) but Satoshi Kon had some huge talent. Well, I still have Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress to watch and then Paranoia Agent ! I hope they won't disappoint.
May 7, 2023 6:39 PM
May 2023
i thought it was trippy and shit bro fucke dme up fr
May 14, 2023 10:25 PM
Apr 2020
Beautiful. Truly the dentition of a masterpiece. Wish Japan still had Fuck you amounts of money to throw at art.
May 28, 2023 10:27 PM

Jun 2021
Güzel bir anime klasiği.
Jul 23, 2023 4:30 AM

Jul 2021
This was one wild ride. This is the first Satoshi Kon film I watched, and I liked its direction and animation. The character designs are more realistic than the traditional anime designs, instead of big eyes we have realistic proportions and the characters' movements feel natural. The film didn't just have good animation, it had good direction and storyboards which helped push the boundaries of what was previously just an anime into a film. An excellent example of where we see this is Konakawa's hallway scene. The fluid animation and character acting made this scene so real.

Overall I liked the vibe and storytelling in this film, it makes me excited to watch Satoshi Kon's films.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Jul 28, 2023 8:51 AM

Nov 2010
So this is the anime that inspired the movie Inception, one of my favorite films ever—especially that part about planting an idea in someone's dreaming mind and the hallway scene.

I really love films about dreams. I want a time to come when they can be explored & analyzed the same way in the movie. I've had so many weird & interesting dreams throughout my life, and it's a shame most of them are lost as soon as I wake up. I want to live in my dreams forever!

I like the scenes of Osanai having his way with Paprika/Atsuko. It was kind of arousing! I wish a Hentai existed with that level of animation. It would be an easy fap!

Damn, what a lucky fatso! Well, great intelligence is very attractive. Physical is just a bonus.

The movie was great. I liked the twists and mysteries until the part at the end where everything became ridiculous, and the entire city started merging with the dream world to the point where it could even inflict damage in reality. It wasn't fully explained how the DC Mini could suddenly do that on such a scale. I know they mentioned something about a "transmission formula within the natural width of the body's energy level, etc." But yeah, I can't suspend my disbelief about that.
Aug 8, 2023 7:25 AM
Apr 2022
confusing and boring
Aug 28, 2023 4:31 PM
Dec 2019
On of the best anime ever i seen
Sep 6, 2023 1:41 PM

Jan 2021
Last movie from Satoshi Kon
Love it bro
All was like been dreaming

Oct 14, 2023 1:07 AM
Jul 2021
good movie but it is difficult
Dec 20, 2023 7:48 AM

Nov 2012
almost impossible to follow and definitely over rated, however still good and worth the watch.

I think this is another case of people thinking it sounds intelligent to label something confusing and convoluted as a masterpiece, thinking singing it's praises and making out they understand it better than others makes them sound clever.

I think a more honest take away of the movie is that it's just okay, great visuals but struggles with an engaging narrative.

Whereas I don't personally rate it as highly I'd still categorise it as a must watch, as one everyone should see and make their own mind up on, mostly due to it's notoriety.
JVskunkapeDec 20, 2023 7:54 AM
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Dec 20, 2023 8:27 AM

Nov 2012
@Ajokkal it is definitely at least relatively notorious, I've been hearing about it a lot since it aired and for years, almost always entirely singing it's praises whereas after watching it I feel it deserves a more mixed recommendation.

It's funny that it supposedly inspired Inception, which spawned a lot of the same reactions of overpraising in an effort to sound intelligent. Which was at least widely acknowledged with Inception.

I don't think anything I said was that outlandish, and certainly not delusional.

Since you obviously felt some type of way about it, I can only assume you felt personally called out, which would imply there's some truth to it.
Dec 20, 2023 8:49 AM

Nov 2012
@Ajokkal right, the opinion of an entirely blank account that somehow always replies in under a minute is worth a lot more.

also "try to interact" is a bit of a reach for that reply
Dec 20, 2023 9:10 AM

Nov 2012
@Ajokkal 2 minutes this time, incredible, you really held back

that you think your poorly thought out diatribe can mean anything to me is super pathetic.

I'm definitely done "interacting" with you here tho, I won't be replying any further

Dec 27, 2023 12:46 PM

Aug 2022
Satoshi Kon's last film and it's obviously a masterpiece.
Dec 31, 2023 7:46 AM

Jul 2021
i'm gonna be completely honest, i didn't really understand this movie but i did enjoy it.

The visuals were nice and the characters were cool i especially liked Konakawa, the detective guy (definitely my favorite character in this movie)

Paprika was also an interesting women, at first i thought she was gonna be a villian but i was wrong.

overall it was a good movie 7/10

gonna need to rewatch it at some point.

Jan 1, 9:04 AM

Jan 2008
Reading this thread is wilder than watching the movie. Half the replies in here make me want to face palm in agony, while others make me want to call the FBI. MAL in a nutshell.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 28, 10:14 PM
Jan 2024
Reality and dreams merged. It was an okay movie; I didn't understand most of it. I need to learn more.
Feb 1, 5:48 PM
Jul 2021
need to rewatch to understand it
Feb 8, 5:49 AM
Oct 2023
I saw this in theaters with a group, and I really enjoyed it. I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, but I plan to watch the other three he did. It was well paced and well animated. My main issue is that there were points where I was more confused than enjoying it, but they were all explained by the end.
Feb 11, 3:08 PM

May 2020
I feel that like other Satoshi kon works, this is a movie I'll need to rewatch to fully understand, but I enjoyed the Freudian psychology and the theme of not being able to distinguish between dreams and reality.

The nods to Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, and Satoshi kon's other movies were also cute.
Mar 10, 11:20 PM

Dec 2022
pretty great
heavily Lynchian. 'we live inside a dream, but who is the dreamer?' derivative of a lot of other important work in film history, and HEAVILY inspiration to Inception so much so that one might even go as far as to say Inception blatantly ripped off parts of it. and all wrapped up neatly in a nice little 'variety is the spice of life' metaphor. nice.
"are we awake? or are we still in the dream?"
indeed
Apr 9, 5:38 PM

Dec 2022
Surprisingly, the plot itself wasn't all that convoluted, unless you feel the need to try and psychoanalyse every character, but that is interpretive and subjective anyway. The fatso romance was also inexplicable, as Atsuko seemed to outright detest him all the way up until he got brainwashed for half the movie.

Impressive in the audiovisual department, at least.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» So, who killed the victim in that homicide case?

Samu-tan - Aug 27, 2010

9 by Beatnik »»
Jan 1, 9:00 AM

» For what reasons do you like this movie?

Unknow0059 - Apr 16, 2017

10 by nekogaro7 »»
Oct 17, 2023 7:29 AM

» What's the movie Konakawa watch at the end of the movie ?

Tsunamii_ - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:14 AM

» questions about paprika [spoilers]

darrenkbenn - Sep 14, 2021

3 by JeremiahOrange »»
Sep 14, 2021 11:19 PM

» What the hell did I just watch?

RandomPerson4 - Dec 30, 2012

25 by tabernac »»
Feb 28, 2021 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.