Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 10, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 2012
So been meaning to pick up this series for a while but just havent had that last driving thing to get me watching it. Wanted to see what you guys think of it. Ive never seen any of it but i do know the Hatsune Miku song by the same name and seen the game on psp. So is it worth a watch or pass?
Aug 10, 2014 3:45 PM

Feb 2008
Both the OVA and TV series are awful. I recommend avoiding anything story-related and just enjoying BRS for the figures.
Aug 10, 2014 3:49 PM

Jan 2010
In the OVA, there's not much dialogue, so a large amount of focus is placed on the music and action. I didn't fully understand what was going on, but I still liked it.

The TV series has a crapton of dialogue dedicated to character drama about friendship and lack thereof. Like, a lot. The action scenes are mostly nonsensical but flashy.

Speaking as someone who knows nothing about Vocaloid, the TV series is good if you're just interested in flashy fights. The show itself is rather tough to watch unless you're also interested in the drama. The OVA has slightly less flashy battles with the benefit of not having to listen to the characters complain so much.
Aug 10, 2014 3:52 PM

Oct 2012
Better off watching madoka magica
Aug 10, 2014 3:55 PM

Jun 2008
I liked the OVA....the TV Series is not that great.

Needs more Yuri less bullshit...
Aug 10, 2014 4:17 PM

Jan 2012
What if i already watched Madoka? What then?????
Draeswolf said:
Aug 14, 2014 12:59 PM
Jun 2014
i'm the only one here that liked the tv series? ok, maybe it's a bit hard to understand what is going on and especially why things are happening, but it doesn't make it a bad series... i recommend it
Aug 20, 2014 12:43 AM

Feb 2013
i enjoyed the OVA despite its surface level plot, but the TV series was a chore to get through. i get what they were trying to do with the story, but the numerous plot holes and annoying drama made it fall apart and drag on. although it gave us more insight into the world and more "character development", it lacked in action, animation, character designs and music compared to the OVA. the OVA's hand drawn action scenes were more interesting and creative than the CG ones in the TV series.

Draeswolf said:

and speaking of annoying drama. i wish they'd stop making all these characters whimper and whine every minute.
ZobaAug 20, 2014 12:49 AM
Jan 8, 2015 8:04 PM

Dec 2012
The CG is godlike. I think the show is ambiguous tbh. So you're better off watching for yourself and then deciding if it was trash or masterpiece.
Jan 8, 2015 8:07 PM

Jul 2011
Block anyone who tells you its good
Jan 8, 2015 8:08 PM

Jan 2009
im in the minority that give this a series a 10/10 here on MAL, i enjoyed it a lot the action was frantic and the friendship drama eventhough its not my usual taste is well executed imo
Jan 8, 2015 8:36 PM

Feb 2014
OMG!!! How many shits I have read of those that didn't like it...

You guys are sure you understood the series..?!
You guys really understood the other world and why they fight..?!
You guys know what happen when a girl of the another world is defeated..?!

It definitely didn't deserve "awful" as an adjective... watch again before saying shits...

And I'm sure that are the type of people that says that ELFEN LIED is a MASTERPIECE! OMG!! Poor of them...
Jan 8, 2015 8:38 PM

Apr 2014
Ignore all the haters and give it a try.
It's a story that forces you to figure out the major details yourself, and I like that.
Jan 21, 2015 5:38 PM

Dec 2014
Viteracf said:

It definitely didn't deserve "awful" as an adjective... watch again before saying shits...

And I'm sure that are the type of people that says that ELFEN LIED is a MASTERPIECE! OMG!! Poor of them...

Protaku94 said:
It's a story that forces you to figure out the major details yourself, and I like that.

Shall we make a party since we seem to be the only ones who liked it
Jan 23, 2015 8:20 PM

Feb 2014
Skarn_ said:
Viteracf said:

Protaku94 said:

Hehe... for sure..! ^_^ For the first time that I watched BRS, I didn't understand everything (however, different from the others, I do not "destroyed" the anime due to my ignorance, far away from that). Therefore, since it is a short anime and I enjoyed watching it, I watched again and everything became clear for me... showing that BRS is not just some girls fighting for nothing in another world... It's something deeper than that, related and connected with something that can be common for most, but at the same time can be delicate and unstable, and that can bring sorrow, called: friendship.
Jan 31, 2015 5:10 PM
Jun 2009
Shit anime.

Do not waste your time.

Good thing it was only 8 episodes.
Mar 12, 2015 11:57 AM
Jun 2014
You should give it a try!

The problem with the show is, that it is faaaaar to short. So if you watch the show, you have to interpret your own things into the series. Then the series could become really enjoyable, like it was for me! Or you can just watch it for the action! Or just for the opening <3
Mar 19, 2015 5:11 PM
Sep 2014
This show is definitely worth watching. I guess there are some parts that dont hold water
but it is still very good.
Apr 2, 2015 4:49 PM

Sep 2013
Don't even try for your brain's health
Apr 6, 2015 8:56 PM

Nov 2014
What makes this stand out is it's unique and psychologically-themed, if you can appreciate that, you should certainly check it out. I recommend it but if you hugely dislike drama or simply can't stand anyone that's emotionally unstable, it might not be for you since that's what you're going to be dealing with most of the time until nearing the final episodes (only 8 episodes).

You'll only be seeing BRS and the Otherworld much less in comparison to the real world. There's action but it can be confusing for some who don't follow or understand the current situation and the story at least for me, was rather mysterious to figure out but compelling and really interesting. Anything that happens in either the real world/Otherworld, the outcome and perhaps consequences will be affectedly seen in reality, proving that both worlds share an unknown link with each other.
Set_linApr 28, 2015 11:41 PM
Apr 6, 2015 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
8/10

Good action, good story, just a little bit complicated by time.
Nov 7, 2015 9:46 PM

Aug 2015
It's not bad, I preferred the OVA tbh. It was short and sweet and didn't try to be so complex, while adding plot holes like the tv series did.

I do reccomend watching both, if you don't mind a confusing series that you'll have to pay attention to every episode to understand.

Don't expect anything going into the show, it's enjoyable but nowhere near perfect.

7/10
Feb 1, 2016 10:42 PM

Nov 2014
The show is god awful, just watch the fight scenes on YouTube and call it a day because it's the only redeeming thing about this show. Trust me it'll bore the piss out of you until another action scene comes on for two minutes. My sentiments remain the same for the OVA too, except it's even more boring than the show.
Member of a dying race known as the mechaboiz
Feb 2, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2014
Skarn_ said:
Viteracf said:

Protaku94 said:

My words remain the same.
Jun 5, 2017 12:12 PM
Jun 2017
It's stupid to care what other people think. I love BRS because it's unique and it's anime. Just focus on the things you love the most. Try ignoring them, we are nothing but strangers like passing by each other.
Jul 26, 2017 9:46 AM

Feb 2010
its a very good action psychological show

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 20, 2019 5:55 AM

Nov 2010
Old topic,so not helpful for OP, but I don't understand why TV anime of this isn't that liked. I went in bit suspicious since I heard it wasn't that good, but ended up loving it and giving it 9. It's probably closest anime to Madoka Magica I have seen in terms of themes, if you like Madoka you will probably like this one as well.
Aug 15, 2020 4:07 PM

Feb 2020
i don't wanna offend anyone, but this show is not worth watching, at least for me.
i think this show was trying to give meaning and depth but ended up failing horribly. the original song was good and i actually liked the ova because i thought it captured the same feeling of mystery and leaved an open interpretation.
this show tried to be deep and make you care for all these poor girls but ended up feeling like a huge edgy mess.
you can enjoy whatever you like, but i don't think it's fair to compare this to madoka.
it falls more on the 'magical girl site' category for me.
again, this is just my opinion, but i wouldn't recommend the show.
Nov 12, 2020 1:48 PM
Apr 2018
Replying too late but whatever.

It had potential tbh. It's rushed for sure, but the CGI and the OST is actually amazing, especially the CGI since most animes tend to butcher themselves with it. Plot is rushed, what can you do when you only have 8 eps, characters felt ehhh, again, 8 eps. For it being 8 eps it did a decent job tbh. I gave the show a 6/10 cuz of the mentioned points, it's neither a masterpiece nor trash, it's good to enjoy and kill some time.
Oct 24, 2021 3:15 PM
Dec 2017
i'd say its an interesting anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 22, 2012

323 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paul - Feb 2, 2012

336 by Sawdustchunks »»
Oct 17, 2023 2:44 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

239 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Oct 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

245 by Spicelit »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:11 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 15, 2012

149 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.