Forum Settings
Forums

Kickstarter for Sci-Fi Anime 'Under the Dog' Launched [Update 9/5]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2014 1:49 PM

Feb 2010
Both the synopsis and the trailer look very interesting. I'll watch it.
Aug 9, 2014 1:59 PM

Mar 2013
So basically, the series will be added to the database when/if enough money is raised, I assume. I might just throw something in myself.
Aug 9, 2014 2:00 PM

Jun 2012
Animation does look really nice, and I'm all for more of this kind of stuff. I'll back this up for sure. Aiming for the last reward... anyone has money to spare? like a couple thousand... or 10000$ to be precise?
Aug 9, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2013
Too bad I'm unable to back this up. I would've love to but oh well.
Aug 9, 2014 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
Synopsis has me interested.
$580k for a 24 min anime? daamn.
Aug 9, 2014 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
Everything about UTD looks great in the pv its an interesting storyline the art, animation, and etc are all great the sounds fantastic hopefully the goals are reached
Aug 9, 2014 2:19 PM

May 2012
Marzan said:
I pledged yesterday and I'm pleased to see that it's making solid progress. I like the creative team behind this and I believe that if it's successful, it could slowly open up the doors for other creators to try do their own project. You wouldn't believe how little the writers/directors in the anime industry make in Japan due to the way different companies share the production costs and risks.

yeah
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Aug 9, 2014 2:29 PM

Oct 2012
PrOxAnto said:
Omg ... just watched the first 2 minutes they had on the kickstarter page ... this looks really solid, animation is amazing !
And the soundtracks ... like a proper Hollywood entry song ^^

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog

This looks pretty good o.o
From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like there's going to be much censoring in this which will be good *w*b

Aug 9, 2014 2:34 PM
Nov 2013
That trailer...just... *.* woah.
How can this only be 24 minutes?
Isshii said he wrote enough for a full 26 episode series. I wish they could've been able to make it a full sseries...
Aug 9, 2014 3:08 PM
Jul 2009
Man the cast is pretty all star in this, but I thought they wrote enough material for 26 ep series. Now it's only 24 min OVA. Should be a 4 part OVA at the minimum (so i guess movie length would be cool).

I will support this just because I do like sci-fi shows and they seem to get the least treatment on any medium besides books.

Hopefully if proven successful they can bargain with someone to pick it up to actually use that 26 ep script.
Aug 9, 2014 3:21 PM

Aug 2013
This looks great !
Aug 9, 2014 4:03 PM
Jul 2012
Ghostbooster said:
Kainsli said:
$100 for a BD? That sounds really expensive for one episode.

That how much otakus in japan pay for anime, it's only fair that we pay the same prize
or do you prefer to steal and watch for free ?

Steal and watch for free
"
Aug 9, 2014 4:07 PM

Feb 2009
i'll never give money to kickstarter, especially when these guys want over half a mil. They're out of their minds, just looking for a pay day from a bunch of otaku suckers.
Aug 9, 2014 4:18 PM

Jul 2012
The synopsis seems really interesting.

More and more anime are turning to Kickstarter. I hope this keeps up :)
Aug 9, 2014 4:26 PM

Nov 2011
Marthgun said:
i'll never give money to kickstarter, especially when these guys want over half a mil. They're out of their minds, just looking for a pay day from a bunch of otaku suckers.

You seem to have a poor idea of how much it costs to make an anime episode. For high quality art, animation, sound, and VAs, that's a fair price. They're trying to deliver a high-quality product.

It's one thing if you don't think they can deliver, but it seems more like you're just spewing nonsensical hate.

Edit:
Subpyro said:
So basically, the series will be added to the database when/if enough money is raised, I assume. I might just throw something in myself.

Wouldn't it need to wait until after the kickstarter ends? Stretch goals could add additional episodes or even turn it into a movie (though I think the latter is unlikely).
TripleSRankAug 9, 2014 4:31 PM
Aug 9, 2014 4:54 PM

Aug 2013
Stark700 said:
That synopsis interests me tbh. I'm hoping they get enough funding for this.

Same. Sounds like it could be a really good series.
Aug 9, 2014 5:16 PM

Sep 2011
Looks like some ex-Bone staff are involved and the character designer was the one behind Fire Emblem: Awakening and No More Heroes (which had some lovely looking designs). The author behind is the one who wrote the 428 VN which ended up spawning CANAAN of Type-Moon fame. Also love the director's work on Sword of The Stranger and CANAAN and his style is definitely showing here. Folks should check these out to see what they're potentially in for (animation direction-wise):

CANAAN - Opening:

Sword Of The Stranger - Final Fight (SPOILERS AHEAD):
ronriAug 9, 2014 5:22 PM
Aug 9, 2014 5:26 PM

Jan 2009
Masahiro Ando + Sci-Fi + No producers involved
stfu and take my $.
Aug 9, 2014 5:26 PM
Oct 2010
Looks good, I know most of the staff to so I'm definitely interested.
Aug 9, 2014 5:32 PM

Mar 2014
Anime looks like it willbe a train reck unsure of what to focus on.

On one hand you have trying to find these terrorists, on the other hand you have this girl facing an inner dilemna.

Sure hope they son't screw up their focus.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Aug 9, 2014 5:46 PM

Jul 2013
If contributing to this project meant a series, even 5 consecutive episodes, then I would fork over the load.
"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
Aug 9, 2014 6:06 PM

Feb 2010
There's a new tier which give you Blu-ray code at $60.
Aug 9, 2014 7:07 PM

Jul 2014
Hopefully this will be a great series
Aug 9, 2014 7:47 PM

Mar 2014
I readthe synopsis for this on the kick starter page. ohmy gosh, I can't even tell what this is about. Stopping terrorists or just making a school of kids trained to kill each other? Regardless, they need more than one episode for this to ever work, hoping they get more than that if anythingbecause regardless of what this anime aims to do, oneepisode is not enough. It baffles me why people are willingto support this.Yesit has good animation, andstaff behind it, but it's just tooshort, andthat will ultimately kill it worse than guilty Crown.
Aug 9, 2014 8:13 PM

Sep 2011
StardustNyako said:
I readthe synopsis for this on the kick starter page. ohmy gosh, I can't even tell what this is about. Stopping terrorists or just making a school of kids trained to kill each other? Regardless, they need more than one episode for this to ever work, hoping they get more than that if anything because regardless of what this anime aims to do, oneepisode is not enough. It baffles me why people are willingto support this.Yesit has good animation, andstaff behind it, but it's just tooshort, andthat will ultimately kill it worse than guilty Crown.

Of course it's not gonna cover an entire story arc. It's a one-shot, essentially a random OVA short. It doesn't have to encompass the whole story like you're making it out to be. They themselves have said that if they get enough backing on this, they might expand it into a full series or delve in the lore of their established universe. It's just animation for animation's sake for 24 solid minutes, only with a utopian sci-fi premise and tons of action as part of the appeal.

What baffles me is how you're expecting this to be some grand story with a clear-cut plot, despite the fact that they're literally proposing what is essentially a pilot episode of pure eye-candy than anything else. Pipe down the expectations, it's too early cry Guilty Crown when they haven't even put out a single episode.
ronriAug 9, 2014 8:19 PM
Aug 9, 2014 8:13 PM

Jul 2013
StardustNyako said:
I readthe synopsis for this on the kick starter page. ohmy gosh, I can't even tell what this is about. Stopping terrorists or just making a school of kids trained to kill each other? Regardless, they need more than one episode for this to ever work, hoping they get more than that if anythingbecause regardless of what this anime aims to do, oneepisode is not enough. It baffles me why people are willingto support this.Yesit has good animation, andstaff behind it, but it's just tooshort, andthat will ultimately kill it worse than guilty Crown.

The problem with some Kickstarter projects are that they're overly ambitious and in correlation, stretched toward creativity overload when they find their projects gaining more and more success. Time will only tell if this project will become its own series, and until then enjoy the show.
WindburnsAug 9, 2014 8:26 PM
"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
Aug 9, 2014 8:48 PM
Apr 2013
Well, this looks interesting.
Aug 9, 2014 8:49 PM

Nov 2011
to draw her as extremely beautiful and sexy
Aug 9, 2014 10:13 PM

Apr 2014
To all those complaining about how expensive it is, you clearly have no idea of how much an episode of anime costs to make. Average TV anime episodes can cost from $100,000 to $300,000, and that's usually pretty cheap since they have to conserve budget for later episodes. Since this is pretty much a standalone OVA, and they want to ensure the quality of the art and animation is as high as possible, the price that they set really isn't anything crazy.
Aug 9, 2014 10:49 PM
May 2013
I think I'll back this project
Aug 9, 2014 11:49 PM
Jun 2013
wow
Aug 10, 2014 1:12 AM

Mar 2012
geralt said:
So wait, they need $580,000 for a 24 minute episode? Sounds expensive...

Nope, with a "24-minute anime" I think they mean 24-minute episodes. They also say something about "26 episodes" in the video.

Honestly I thought it was really cool, seems good, I am looking forward to watch it.
Aug 10, 2014 1:14 AM

Sep 2013
b1GZZ said:
geralt said:
So wait, they need $580,000 for a 24 minute episode? Sounds expensive...

Nope, with a "24-minute anime" I think they mean 24-minute episodes. They also say something about "26 episodes" in the video.

Honestly I thought it was really cool, seems good, I am looking forward to watch it.

No it's a single 24 minute episode. It says so on the Kickstarter page.
Aug 10, 2014 1:24 AM

Jun 2012
Moonchipz said:
To all those complaining about how expensive it is, you clearly have no idea of how much an episode of anime costs to make. Average TV anime episodes can cost from $100,000 to $300,000, and that's usually pretty cheap since they have to conserve budget for later episodes. Since this is pretty much a standalone OVA, and they want to ensure the quality of the art and animation is as high as possible, the price that they set really isn't anything crazy.
I will add to this that there's a budget graph saying where the money is supposed to go, and there's a fair amount going into Backer rewards for example. I would suggest to take a look at the graph and the text below it for those who are curious about the 580k budget for an episode.
Aug 10, 2014 2:35 AM

May 2012
So yeah, I went 25 USD for this.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Aug 10, 2014 3:43 AM

Dec 2013
That synopsis amazes me but can they reach their goal?i saw the pv its look great nice animations i hope we can see it!
Aug 10, 2014 3:55 AM
Oct 2010
Civille said:
That synopsis amazes me but can they reach their goal?i saw the pv its look great nice animations i hope we can see it!

Well they made 68k in a day, so I'd imagine they could reach it as more people get exposed to the kickstarter. The staff will surely get some people interested, there's a lot of very good/popular shows they worked on.
Aug 10, 2014 3:57 AM

Jan 2013
skudoops said:
Civille said:

Well they made 68k in a day, so I'd imagine they could reach it as more people get exposed to the kickstarter. The staff will surely get some people interested, there's a lot of very good/popular shows they worked on.

2days - almost 3 days ;-)
Aug 10, 2014 5:00 AM

Mar 2014
ronri said:
StardustNyako said:
I readthe synopsis for this on the kick starter page. ohmy gosh, I can't even tell what this is about. Stopping terrorists or just making a school of kids trained to kill each other? Regardless, they need more than one episode for this to ever work, hoping they get more than that if anything because regardless of what this anime aims to do, oneepisode is not enough. It baffles me why people are willingto support this.Yesit has good animation, andstaff behind it, but it's just tooshort, andthat will ultimately kill it worse than guilty Crown.

Of course it's not gonna cover an entire story arc. It's a one-shot, essentially a random OVA short. It doesn't have to encompass the whole story like you're making it out to be. They themselves have said that if they get enough backing on this, they might expand it into a full series or delve in the lore of their established universe. It's just animation for animation's sake for 24 solid minutes, only with a utopian sci-fi premise and tons of action as part of the appeal.

What baffles me is how you're expecting this to be some grand story with a clear-cut plot, despite the fact that they're literally proposing what is essentially a pilot episode of pure eye-candy than anything else. Pipe down the expectations, it's too early cry Guilty Crown when they haven't even put out a single episode.
Sorry if I seemed angry or what not. the idea in general just seems over the topfor the plot theyput out for it.
Aug 10, 2014 5:23 AM

Jan 2013
DarkMorpher said:
[i]This[/i] project also awesome.

Already cancelled though ;-)
Aug 10, 2014 5:40 AM

Jul 2008
I'll pay some attention to this :) could be interesting^^
Aug 10, 2014 8:04 AM
Oct 2010
PrOxAnto said:
skudoops said:

2days - almost 3 days ;-)

Ah my b, I thought kickstarter countdowns started from 29.
Aug 10, 2014 9:37 AM

Sep 2011
StardustNyako said:
Sorry if I seemed angry or what not. the idea in general just seems over the topfor the plot theyput out for it.

No problem, and I apologize if I came across as stand-offish. It's just I think it's unrealistic to expect this to have a full story in literally one episode, especially when the info on the Kickstarter very clearly outlines that it's more of an OVA short than an actual movie of any sort. The premise they've given is just there to serve as context for what could potentially turn into a series should this get funded successfully. It wouldn't make sense for them to deal with everything they've talked about in the story through one episode, obviously they're creating enough leeway for a potential series if this works out for them.
Aug 10, 2014 9:56 AM

Jul 2011
"The project aims to carry the tradition of older sci-fi anime titles such as Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and the material was written between 1994 and 1995. The production team is using Kickstarter in order to avoid the process of funding from production committees and therefore retain creative control of the anime." -ANN article.

HELL YES. Just the way they describe it makes me super happy. Although I'm a little hesitant on character design (Hana Tougetsu, #6...) and plot since it looks a bit more like an action movie. Plus the fact that it's a single 24 minute episode so they can't get too complicated in story. But they are enthusiastic and really want to go all out with this it. I'm interested in supporting them. I like the idea and the trike design, and animation also looks gorgeous. CM was exciting (I'm liking the OST) and looks like they're well ploted out in what they want to do.

I'm excited for this! I definitely hopes it turns out well.
They do have a concept for 26 episodes and potential backers already, but they'd rather go for quality and creative freedom.
Even for eye candy (really, that CM), I think my $25 will be worth it. :)
MirorinAug 10, 2014 10:18 AM
Aug 10, 2014 11:01 AM

Feb 2009
[quote=TripleSRank]
Marthgun said:

You seem to have a poor idea of how much it costs to make an anime episode. For high quality art, animation, sound, and VAs, that's a fair price. They're trying to deliver a high-quality product.

It's one thing if you don't think they can deliver, but it seems more like you're just spewing nonsensical hate.

/quote]

I'm a 3d artist myself, i know exactly how much it takes to produce something of quality. But listen here rube, unless these guys are actually a top level firm with 60+ employees, then why would they charge premium price for their single episode? that kind of money would pay 6 elite employees for a year, will this one episode take a year? Are they trying to get salary off this job? It sure sounds like it.

That's the reason i'm not paying. Idk anything about this project, so idk how many people are in on this. But for an upstart group of guys wanting to make a pilot, 600k is a fucking gold mine. Kudos to them if they can do it, don't expect me to support them financially or intellectually.
Aug 10, 2014 11:15 AM

Jul 2010
It honestly seems pretty generic and unoriginal BUT, I want to be positive and to hope that Masahiro Ando will make us a good show just like Sword of the Stranger was.

What they say in the video is interesting and without a doubt right, making shows in all freedom without being caged by "What fans want" is truly wonderful and I hope they will succeed in that, the question lies in, will they be coherent with their visions?
Aug 10, 2014 11:19 AM
Mar 2013
Red_Keys said:

but for only one 24 min episode? Half a million dollars? Yea right.

I was curious as well so I asked them and they said:

The budget for this episode is so high because we want to bring a quality of anime that is higher than regular anime standards and more towards cinema standards.

We would love to achieve the stretch goals that allow us to make UTD even better, but for that we need everyone's support. Please spread the word :)

That's what they said xD
DeadcoolerAug 10, 2014 11:24 AM
Aug 10, 2014 11:49 AM

Dec 2013
skudoops said:
Civille said:

I thought they made 68k in one month and i believed they will not make it wow thats nice this project will be great if they complete the task!
Aug 10, 2014 11:56 AM

Apr 2014
The art style looks really good, well, maybe not the character one, but still..
Got me quite interested..
Aug 10, 2014 12:03 PM

Oct 2013
Hmm, it looked really well done! I'm hoping the reach their 5 million goal and produce the movie length version (though probably very unlikely).

I supported it anyways, hopefully they get enough funding to go through with this.

Edit: Not sure if this was mentioned or not yet, but the show/concept apparently has been bid on by multiple publishers however they were all turned down. That even included a 2 season, 26 episodes / season deal. They turned it down because under that bid they wouldn't of been able to produce as high end of a show as they wanted to make.

Like over here, publishers are very reluctant to commit large dollars to untested concepts. Especially since Under The Dog is an original idea, nobody wanted to give it a SAO amount of dollars.
shawnofthedeadzAug 10, 2014 12:32 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

22 by ZXEAN »»
4 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Today

1 by seweholmes »»
5 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
8 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Today, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.