Forum Settings
Forums

Kickstarter for Sci-Fi Anime 'Under the Dog' Launched [Update 9/5]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2012
It definitely looks intresting and the animation is breathtaking. But damn! $580,000! That's too much.
Aug 9, 2014 8:13 AM

Feb 2011
I'll see what I can do. Most probably I'll give around 30$ but if I can save more within a week then I'll probably give 50$ which is what I'm aiming for. The PV was stunning.
Aug 9, 2014 8:19 AM

Aug 2014
If they plan on reaching $580k first they need to drop the price for the Blu-Ray, $100 is way too much for just one 24 minutes episode, something in the $50-60 margin would be enough. Quite a lot of backers are complaining about that in the comments.

But I liked the idea, I hope they succeed.
Aug 9, 2014 8:21 AM
Aug 2012
I dunno...I mean if the creators of Guilty Crown had a kick starter, and released clips of their say first or second episode I would have actually donated, but now I've grown rather skeptic.
Saying they can make it longer than it can be if more than enough money is obtained does the opposite of winning me over. That essentially opens possibilities of filler material, dragged on story or shallow subplots.
Aug 9, 2014 8:34 AM

Dec 2012
Looks and sounds fantastic, wouldn't mind backing this.
Aug 9, 2014 8:46 AM

May 2010
I welcome this with open arms, but the premise though... Realistically, the UN wouldn't [be able to] do anything like creating a Task Force 141 for Japan. The world would only give them intelligence support while the heavy lifting would have to be done by the Japanese themselves. The US suffered a terrorist attack and they had to do pretty much everything themselves (military, FBI, CIA, with help from foreign intelligence) to find and kill OBL. In an alternate universe where there's a strong UN like Muv-Luv, sure, this can happen, but I'll just assume it's based on our world (since Tokyo 2020 Olympics).

In the end, I'll wait for more info.
Aug 9, 2014 8:47 AM

Jan 2013
Masahiro Ando is THE MAN. Everything he's been apart of has been good.

But it's only supposed to be a 24 minute OVA? Or is it actually going to be a full length series?

If it's simply going to be 24 minutes long I have no intention on contributing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2014 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
SharifEbeefE said:

But it's only supposed to be a 24 minute OVA? Or is it actually going to be a full length series?

If you read the kickstarter page or watched the video, you would know it's a series, the 500k us dollars for the first episode.
Aug 9, 2014 8:53 AM

Oct 2010
The animation and art looks amazing ♥ and a Swedish MC female.. haha gotta show my friend this xD
Aug 9, 2014 9:07 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
looks nice, interesting synopsis and good animation. Maybe a bit too much explosions and gunshots for my taste though.

PrOxAnto said:
SharifEbeefE said:

If you read the kickstarter page or watched the video, you would know it's a series, the 500k us dollars for the first episode.

they're talking about 1.74 million dollars for 2 prequels (3 episodes total) and 5.1 million dollars for a feature film, which in my opinion is almost impossible to gather with kickstarter. I think the chances of it turning into a full series is low.
Aug 9, 2014 9:18 AM

Aug 2013
SHIT.. that PV is awesome..!!
I really hope it'll work out and get a full series.. that budget. o_O
Aug 9, 2014 9:27 AM

Nov 2010
SharifEbeefE said:

A lot of people seem to be misinterpreting the aimed length of this project. Despite the original creator saying that he thought of the story for a 26 episode series, this project only intends to create a 24 minute episode. Then there are a couple stretch goals - if it hits 1.16 million they make another 24 minute episode; 1.74 million for a third 24 minute episode (it is mentioned that both of these would be prequels); 5.1 million for a full feature length film of 90-120 minutes.

Unless I'm missing something, a full series isn't planned, since they would need much more money than that.
Aug 9, 2014 9:34 AM

Jan 2013
kurosaki_kabuto said:
SharifEbeefE said:

A lot of people seem to be misinterpreting the aimed length of this project. Despite the original creator saying that he thought of the story for a 26 episode series, this project only intends to create a 24 minute episode. Then there are a couple stretch goals - if it hits 1.16 million they make another 24 minute episode; 1.74 million for a third 24 minute episode (it is mentioned that both of these would be prequels); 5.1 million for a full feature length film of 90-120 minutes.

Unless I'm missing something, a full series isn't planned, since they would need much more money than that.

This is correct.
Aug 9, 2014 9:41 AM
Jul 2014
Looks amazing. Will chip in 30 i guess.
Aug 9, 2014 9:52 AM

Nov 2007
I want that fig, but 500 is steep. Likely gonna end up with the 100.
Aug 9, 2014 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
The synopsis really interest me.
Aug 9, 2014 10:30 AM

Nov 2008
Doesn't really seem anything special, but I'd like to see more anime kickstarters. Helping fund a specific project sounds nicer than scattering money across the industry.
Aug 9, 2014 10:31 AM

Feb 2013
Animation looks fantastic and I really love the character design of Yusuke Kozaki.
I think it's worth to spend some money on.

Aug 9, 2014 10:42 AM

Jan 2010
There can never be enough butt-kicking females in anime. They've got my support!
Aug 9, 2014 10:43 AM

May 2010
“If your parents, family, or classmates are taken hostage and if you die, your family will die too. If you fail, your family will die. If you run away, your family will die. In such a situation where you are driven into a corner [...] and must kill [your] fellow compatriots.”

OK, on a second pass, this sounds totally like Red Dead Redemption.

I thought it was going to be Zero Dark Thirty: The Anime.
wrenchbreadAug 9, 2014 12:00 PM
Aug 9, 2014 10:47 AM

Oct 2007
I've backed with $30, but when do we get charged? I can't find the information anywhere.
Aug 9, 2014 10:54 AM

Nov 2013
I'm interested. I'll give my support.
Disappear. This chair is an eyesore. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair.
Aug 9, 2014 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
The way that blood BURSTS from everybody's neck when they get kicked with a foot seems a bit stupid and tryhard.

Plot sounds ok, but for only one 24 min episode? Half a million dollars? Yea right.
Aug 9, 2014 10:58 AM

May 2010
Kuromii said:
I've backed with $30, but when do we get charged? I can't find the information anywhere.

The way Kickstarter works is that you won't get charged until the Kickstarter (1) passes its backing goal and (2) successfully reaches the end of the backing period.
Aug 9, 2014 11:01 AM

Mar 2014
Color me interested. The art and animation looks good, and they have people from FullMetal Alchemist and Ghost in the shell.
I'm getting this Guilty Crown vibe from the trailer though and I hope it doesn't turn into shit.
Aug 9, 2014 11:12 AM

Nov 2011
This looks pretty interesting. They have a lot of big names working on this, and I like the synopsis.

The price seems fair, but a bit ambitious for a crowdfunding attempt. I don't know. A single 24 minute episode could go really wrong, and I'm not exactly expecting them to hit the movie stretch goal (which would replace the normal episodes if they reached it). Still, I've always been for creators retaining their creative rights. Hmm.

As wrenchbread noted, you aren't charged unless the kickstarter is successfully funded, so I suppose I'll throw in my support. The BD is too much for me, but the digital tiers are nice.
Aug 9, 2014 11:26 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Just one episode? Too bad.
Aug 9, 2014 11:29 AM

Apr 2010
Sounds like a try-hard attempt to be Munich: The Anime.
Aug 9, 2014 11:31 AM

Sep 2010

I pledge for 100 USD which will reward me a region free BD + eng subs among other things, hope for the campaign's success!

Aug 9, 2014 11:44 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hmm, something sounds really off and bad about the synopsis. Can't really tell what but mostly the premise is a bit exaggerated. Nice animation but I won't be backing it.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 9, 2014 12:00 PM

May 2012
wakka9ca said:
Hmm, something sounds really off and bad about the synopsis. Can't really tell what but mostly the premise is a bit exaggerated. Nice animation but I won't be backing it.

yolo
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Aug 9, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2012
Looks quite promising but 580$K that's quite a bit for a 24 minute episode.
Aug 9, 2014 12:13 PM
Oct 2013
Sad,i'll be left this episode by side now,because i don't have time for it... but,i plan to watch... it's sounds interesting...
Aug 9, 2014 12:13 PM

Aug 2012
i'm going to back 25$
29 day remaining and the amount didn't even reach 100k $. i wonder if they are really going to make it at the right time
Aug 9, 2014 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
Lone_Warrior said:
i'm going to back 25$
29 day remaining and the amount didn't even reach 100k $. i wonder if they are really going to make it at the right time

1/10th of the amount they need in 1 or 2 days now ...
If this goes on they will easily make it.
Aug 9, 2014 12:25 PM

Sep 2011
Looks very promising.
Aug 9, 2014 12:26 PM

Oct 2011
I honestly do not see this working out for them. The kickstarter for LWA worked out because it was a well liked and has an established fanbase. They should have started small before trying this sort of thing out seeing as to how niche the anime market is compared to stuff like video games and such and kickstarter.com is also a western oriented site which could pose some obvious problems.

I do hope that it actually succeeds though. Ain't got no credit card for this kind of thing.

PrOxAnto said:
Lone_Warrior said:
i'm going to back 25$

If you're familiar with how kickstarter works, you would know that the project will get the most funding on its first few days and slow down over the course of the month and pick back up when it's about to end. It's like an x squared graph of something similar.
Aug 9, 2014 1:07 PM

Nov 2010
Cheesekao said:

PrOxAnto said:

If you're familiar with how kickstarter works, you would know that the project will get the most funding on its first few days and slow down over the course of the month and pick back up when it's about to end. It's like an x squared graph of something similar.

While it's too early to make any valid predictions this is definitely true. As a reference, Little Witch Academia reached its goal of 150 thousand dollars in 6 hours but needed another 20-something days to reach the stretch goal of 500k.
Aug 9, 2014 1:10 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I pledged yesterday and I'm pleased to see that it's making solid progress. I like the creative team behind this and I believe that if it's successful, it could slowly open up the doors for other creators to try do their own project. You wouldn't believe how little the writers/directors in the anime industry make in Japan due to the way different companies share the production costs and risks.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 9, 2014 1:35 PM
Jul 2014
WOW THE PV Looks very amazing, but sadly i can't help with the donation because im still a student :(
Aug 9, 2014 1:49 PM

Feb 2010
Both the synopsis and the trailer look very interesting. I'll watch it.
Aug 9, 2014 1:59 PM

Mar 2013
So basically, the series will be added to the database when/if enough money is raised, I assume. I might just throw something in myself.
Aug 9, 2014 2:00 PM

Jun 2012
Animation does look really nice, and I'm all for more of this kind of stuff. I'll back this up for sure. Aiming for the last reward... anyone has money to spare? like a couple thousand... or 10000$ to be precise?
Aug 9, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2013
Too bad I'm unable to back this up. I would've love to but oh well.
Aug 9, 2014 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
Synopsis has me interested.
$580k for a 24 min anime? daamn.
Aug 9, 2014 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
Everything about UTD looks great in the pv its an interesting storyline the art, animation, and etc are all great the sounds fantastic hopefully the goals are reached
Aug 9, 2014 2:19 PM

May 2012
Marzan said:
I pledged yesterday and I'm pleased to see that it's making solid progress. I like the creative team behind this and I believe that if it's successful, it could slowly open up the doors for other creators to try do their own project. You wouldn't believe how little the writers/directors in the anime industry make in Japan due to the way different companies share the production costs and risks.

yeah
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Aug 9, 2014 2:29 PM

Oct 2012
PrOxAnto said:
Omg ... just watched the first 2 minutes they had on the kickstarter page ... this looks really solid, animation is amazing !
And the soundtracks ... like a proper Hollywood entry song ^^

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog

This looks pretty good o.o
From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like there's going to be much censoring in this which will be good *w*b

Aug 9, 2014 2:34 PM
Nov 2013
That trailer...just... *.* woah.
How can this only be 24 minutes?
Isshii said he wrote enough for a full 26 episode series. I wish they could've been able to make it a full sseries...
Aug 9, 2014 3:08 PM
Jul 2009
Man the cast is pretty all star in this, but I thought they wrote enough material for 26 ep series. Now it's only 24 min OVA. Should be a 4 part OVA at the minimum (so i guess movie length would be cool).

I will support this just because I do like sci-fi shows and they seem to get the least treatment on any medium besides books.

Hopefully if proven successful they can bargain with someone to pick it up to actually use that 26 ep script.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
24 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 42 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
42 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.