Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2014 8:44 PM

Jun 2014
Loli's are awesome. Shinobu Oshino? Renge Miyauchi? Need I say more?
Aug 7, 2014 8:44 PM

Oct 2012
lolis are great suicide bombers.
Aug 7, 2014 8:55 PM

Apr 2012
TripleSRank said:
Immahnoob said:

No, it's how the language changes. You know, dictionaries can become outdated, they are authorities but they can be wrong, etc.

Like "gay" meant "happy" (or more like, "ecstatic", could still mean that if you force it, but nobody uses it as such anymore), now it means "homosexual".

That's a change within the same language. It was slang that overtook the original usage. This is a borrowed word from another language being used improperly- and, might I add, the word is still used in its original sense in Japan. If the Japanese start using "loli" to simply mean "little girls" (similar to how the word "ecchi" changed there thanks to Western usage), only then does it become proper to use it that way.

There was never an "improper" or "proper" when talking about language changes, TripleSRank, there is no language that has never borrowed from another or language that has borrowed from another and changed the meaning.

By your logic, those that came first are in the right... Well wrong, the Japanese took from the west, so if we want, Lolicon is now Dinosaurs, again, by your logic.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 7, 2014 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
Paul said:
DrGeroCreation said:
The fact that they look like they are 10 years old.

They don't look like they're 10, they are 10.
Okay noted. Knowing that though makes it sad to see them sexualized.

Aug 7, 2014 8:59 PM

Apr 2012
The Digital White Knights are here.

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2014
Immahnoob said:
Hide yo kids, hide yo waifu, and hide yo husbando too cuz they gonna defend 'em all.
Aug 7, 2014 9:14 PM

Apr 2012
D4rkseid said:
Immahnoob said:
Hide yo kids, hide yo waifu, and hide yo husbando too cuz they gonna defend 'em all.
White knight in a loli town. He's got trouble. Get in his way, he's gonna cut you down. Takin' over. He can ride. He can shoot. Don't take nothin' from nobody.

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
Immahnoob said:
Where?
Aug 7, 2014 9:16 PM

Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Paul said:

They don't look like they're 10, they are 10.
Okay noted. Knowing that though makes it sad to see them sexualized.

Tina's hot and Rentaro isn't living right by not loving on her nor Enju (at least romance will denote him as living right).

Aug 7, 2014 9:17 PM

Aug 2013
@Hoppy She's 10 years old.
Aug 7, 2014 9:19 PM

Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:

I assume you haven't watched or read anything from CLAMP or better yet watched Ro-Kyu-Bu.

Aug 7, 2014 9:21 PM

Apr 2012
Hoppy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I assume you haven't watched or read anything from CLAMP or better yet watched Ro-Kyu-Bu.
He's a white knight, what did you expect?

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 9:23 PM

Aug 2013
Hoppy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Correct and I don't plan to except for maybe XXXHolic.
Aug 7, 2014 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
Hoppy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Ro-Kyu-Bu is awesome. Onto season 2.
Aug 7, 2014 10:02 PM

Oct 2012
Lolis are annoying af

(with a few exceptions)
Aug 7, 2014 10:38 PM

May 2009
I seriously don't get why people hate lolis. They're cute, they're lovable, and sometimes even utterly adorable.

And to all those moralists such as DrGeroCreation, don't you have other, more important things to worry about than how some people enjoy fictional characters?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2014 10:41 PM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
TripleSRank said:
That's a change within the same language. It was slang that overtook the original usage. This is a borrowed word from another language being used improperly- and, might I add, the word is still used in its original sense in Japan. If the Japanese start using "loli" to simply mean "little girls" (similar to how the word "ecchi" changed there thanks to Western usage), only then does it become proper to use it that way.

There was never an "improper" or "proper" when talking about language changes, TripleSRank, there is no language that has never borrowed from another or language that has borrowed from another and changed the meaning.

By your logic, those that came first are in the right... Well wrong, the Japanese took from the west, so if we want, Lolicon is now Dinosaurs, again, by your logic.

According to whom? There's no official authority that determines the "rules" when it comes to languages, which is why this argument can't be properly "proved" either way. Still, I will follow along our line of reasoning a bit longer.

To say there is no improper when it comes to "changes" is lazy, for one, and it leads to the deterioration of languages for another. Words are worthless if they have no inherent meaning, or if that meaning can change on a whim. If there was no such thing as "correct", the English language (for example) would be little more than the cesspool that is text messaging shorthand.

To illustrate this, tell me, how much meaning can you get out of "lol" or "wtf"? Sure, there's a general idea of humor or disbelief behind each of them respectively, but the severity, the tone, the connotations- they're all lost. Do you say "lol" only when you laugh? Do you only say it when you smile? Is it only proper if a witty remark has been made, regardless of how humorous it may be? You could claim any of these stances, but there is no "correct" definition. It is a s**** of a word, devoid of any actual meaning. It's garbage that adds no inherent value to speech.

I can use "principal" to mean "principle" all day long, my friends and neighbors can, and people on the internet can, but it won't change the fact that an incorrect word is being used. In a similar sense, I could use "frivolous" to mean "absurd", but that won't change that there's a difference in meaning, though there may be similar ideas behind said words. Taking it even further (using another language), I could say exempli gratia (e.g.) to mean id est (i.e.), but that doesn't make the phrases equivalent.

Lolicon is a portmaneau the Japanese came up with. We didn't create it. Sure, part of the portmaneau came from a Westerner's book title, but that doesn't make "lolicon" any more "Western" of a word. Did the author and general populace of some Western country start using "lolicon" before Japan? If they did, I'm unaware of it. Had we been the ones to start using it first, that would be a different story, but we didn't, so it's not our word. If Japan abandons the word entirely, that changes things. Unless that happens, though, the word means what it means. Only Japan can change that.

(I feel like we're only marginally on-topic. At your discretion, we could take this to our profiles.)
TripleSRankAug 7, 2014 10:45 PM
Aug 7, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
It seems enlightenment is still needed in this thread. If your heart does not melt and you do not see the light, I hate to break it to you but your soul is gone (probably soul trapped by a cunning dunmer, it happens).

Lolis are beings that transcend any logical understanding. They are the pinnacle of happiness, love, and everything right with this world.
Aug 7, 2014 11:13 PM

Sep 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
It seems enlightenment is still needed in this thread. If your heart does not melt and you do not see the light, I hate to break it to you but your soul is gone (probably soul trapped by a cunning dunmer, it happens).

Lolis are beings that transcend any logical understanding. They are the pinnacle of happiness, love, and everything right with this world.
well said
Aug 7, 2014 11:15 PM

Mar 2014
Ask Touma xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 7, 2014 11:24 PM

May 2014
Sexualized loli may make instantly drop whatever I'm watching. Otherwise annoying genki lollies are just that.

Finally I classify cute middle school girls as moe instead.

And just visual appeal and squeaky voices do not make for compelling characters, yes they're fluffy and happy, but since I am a cold hearted bastard, you need more for me to give a fuck about these dolls.
Aug 7, 2014 11:27 PM
Aug 8, 2014 3:11 AM

Mar 2014
Nope.
Fucking nope.

I see a loli and all feelings of sympathy fly out the window.
Aug 8, 2014 3:16 AM

Apr 2014
cute girl > loli.
well theres a few exception....only few.
Aug 8, 2014 7:49 AM

Apr 2012
TripleSRank said:
Immahnoob said:

According to whom? There's no official authority that determines the "rules" when it comes to languages, which is why this argument can't be properly "proved" either way. Still, I will follow along our line of reasoning a bit longer.

To say there is no improper when it comes to "changes" is lazy, for one, and it leads to the deterioration of languages for another. Words are worthless if they have no inherent meaning, or if that meaning can change on a whim. If there was no such thing as "correct", the English language (for example) would be little more than the cesspool that is text messaging shorthand.

To illustrate this, tell me, how much meaning can you get out of "lol" or "wtf"? Sure, there's a general idea of humor or disbelief behind each of them respectively, but the severity, the tone, the connotations- they're all lost. Do you say "lol" only when you laugh? Do you only say it when you smile? Is it only proper if a witty remark has been made, regardless of how humorous it may be? You could claim any of these stances, but there is no "correct" definition. It is a s**** of a word, devoid of any actual meaning. It's garbage that adds no inherent value to speech.

I can use "principal" to mean "principle" all day long, my friends and neighbors can, and people on the internet can, but it won't change the fact that an incorrect word is being used. In a similar sense, I could use "frivolous" to mean "absurd", but that won't change that there's a difference in meaning, though there may be similar ideas behind said words. Taking it even further (using another language), I could say exempli gratia (e.g.) to mean id est (i.e.), but that doesn't make the phrases equivalent.

Lolicon is a portmaneau the Japanese came up with. We didn't create it. Sure, part of the portmaneau came from a Westerner's book title, but that doesn't make "lolicon" any more "Western" of a word. Did the author and general populace of some Western country start using "lolicon" before Japan? If they did, I'm unaware of it. Had we been the ones to start using it first, that would be a different story, but we didn't, so it's not our word. If Japan abandons the word entirely, that changes things. Unless that happens, though, the word means what it means. Only Japan can change that.

(I feel like we're only marginally on-topic. At your discretion, we could take this to our profiles.)

From the standpoint of utility, a language that changes by the needs of the majority that uses it is a lot more beneficial than a language that only benefits those that use it for a more artistic approach, if you get my drift. There might be no rule, but using certain contexts can overall give us an idea of what is more "beneficial".

The problem with your argument on "deterioration" and what is the "correct" use of the language is that the "deterioration" is continuous, and what is "correct" changes by that "deterioration", "to deteriorate" has a meaning of becoming "progressively worse", but in our case it can easily be said that the "deterioration" is simply a "deterioration" of the current system, which is not inherently "bad". A language is meant for communication, that is it's definition, the "complexity" part of the definition though, is hard to prove, rather, I always found languages to have more of a fetish for quantity rather than quality. Anyway, the idea is that as long as the language fulfills its job, the "deterioration" is either a "transformation", simply a change that doesn't have to be "worse" or "better" (or "evolution"; although, in the context of "utility", it would be better if it is easier to pick up and use) or is not actually happening.

The thing is, what you are talking about right now are acronyms, that's a completely different story, and with that I have to go on a tangent. It's quite simple really, because of the nature of the Internet and how it started (mostly text), these acronyms were made for faster use in showing emotions while not stopping the flow of a conversation, for example, writing "laughing out loud" looks more like a shabby narrative rather than what you would exclaim in a real life conversation, because it's the description of an action. Nowadays, "lol" has also changed in meaning, it still remains "laughing out loud", but because of how "laughing" in real life can have more meanings, it can be used in more contexts (we have other acronyms for that, but people tend to forget about them for obvious reasons). "wtf" still remains "wtf" and it has never changed from "What the fuck", the emotions it can display are limited. So yeah, "lol" is surely not something that can add value to speech, simply because it's more of a narrative than something you can add in a conversation (too bad you didn't watch To Aru Majutsu no Index/Railgun, you would have had a good example of what I mean. "Good job desu, says Misaka offering her admiration", there are certain characters that talk that way). Also, how do you define "value" anyway?

Well, I guess it's hard to find examples similar to "loli", anyway, the "preservation" of how the language currently is does not necessarily disprove that the "deterioration" is not inherently "bad", simply because a language that changes too fast (I'll speak always from the "utility" standpoint, if I might add another argument that means I just had an idea or something) would be hard to keep up with and yes, it would be a total mess, but those are extremes for you, you should never speak in dichotomies, do notice though, how a word can simply have more meanings rather than change its meaning, hint: it also has to do with how we incorporate words from another language, and the change does not happen because a handful use the word "wrong", it happens when a majority does that, and "excessively", which warrants the change, the people actually make the language, it was always like this, but with the Internet it's even more so.

Lolita is a Spanish term though, and again, I think I've said it before, it's not necessary that the first one has the monopoly of a word or a language. Or monopoly of anything in general. The meaning can be changed, and it's not necessary that our "lolicon" is the same word as their "lolicon", it's also not necessary that we us the same "lolicon" in this conversation. Anyway, "loli" in itself is not a term that was or is used by the Japanese (might be used right now by certain people there, but before that, it was simply slang (still is)).

Autocrat said:
Aug 8, 2014 8:58 AM

Apr 2014
every Loli in this world better vanish.
Loli doing ecchi things is even worse.
a violent tsundere Loli is the worst.
Aug 8, 2014 9:35 AM

May 2012
People in this thread...

Aug 8, 2014 9:42 AM

Dec 2013
Gay problem > loli problem
deal with it
Aug 8, 2014 10:32 AM

Jun 2014
God, lolis... nasty.

Aug 8, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2014
pauperunit said:
I want to see them suffer just like in black bullet
Aug 8, 2014 11:09 AM

Sep 2012
fst said:
Have you punted a loli across the room today?
So lolis are the anime version of gnomes now?
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 8, 2014 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
Korrvo said:
fst said:
Have you punted a loli across the room today?
So lolis are the anime version of gnomes now?

I don't know, I just thought it would look funny.
Aug 8, 2014 11:27 AM

Jul 2014
Red_Keys said:
No, the general public is more empathetic toward children and females.

This.
Aug 8, 2014 11:50 AM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
TripleSRank said:

From the standpoint of utility, a language that changes by the needs of the majority that uses it is a lot more beneficial than a language that only benefits those that use it for a more artistic approach, if you get my drift. There might be no rule, but using certain contexts can overall give us an idea of what is more "beneficial".

The problem with your argument on "deterioration" and what is the "correct" use of the language is that the "deterioration" is continuous, and what is "correct" changes by that "deterioration", "to deteriorate" has a meaning of becoming "progressively worse", but in our case it can easily be said that the "deterioration" is simply a "deterioration" of the current system, which is not inherently "bad". A language is meant for communication, that is it's definition, the "complexity" part of the definition though, is hard to prove, rather, I always found languages to have more of a fetish for quantity rather than quality. Anyway, the idea is that as long as the language fulfills its job, the "deterioration" is either a "transformation", simply a change that doesn't have to be "worse" or "better" (or "evolution"; although, in the context of "utility", it would be better if it is easier to pick up and use) or is not actually happening.

The thing is, what you are talking about right now are acronyms, that's a completely different story, and with that I have to go on a tangent. It's quite simple really, because of the nature of the Internet and how it started (mostly text), these acronyms were made for faster use in showing emotions while not stopping the flow of a conversation, for example, writing "laughing out loud" looks more like a shabby narrative rather than what you would exclaim in a real life conversation, because it's the description of an action. Nowadays, "lol" has also changed in meaning, it still remains "laughing out loud", but because of how "laughing" in real life can have more meanings, it can be used in more contexts (we have other acronyms for that, but people tend to forget about them for obvious reasons). "wtf" still remains "wtf" and it has never changed from "What the ****", the emotions it can display are limited. So yeah, "lol" is surely not something that can add value to speech, simply because it's more of a narrative than something you can add in a conversation (too bad you didn't watch To Aru Majutsu no Index/Railgun, you would have had a good example of what I mean. "Good job desu, says Misaka offering her admiration", there are certain characters that talk that way). Also, how do you define "value" anyway?

Well, I guess it's hard to find examples similar to "loli", anyway, the "preservation" of how the language currently is does not necessarily disprove that the "deterioration" is not inherently "bad", simply because a language that changes too fast (I'll speak always from the "utility" standpoint, if I might add another argument that means I just had an idea or something) would be hard to keep up with and yes, it would be a total mess, but those are extremes for you, you should never speak in dichotomies, do notice though, how a word can simply have more meanings rather than change its meaning, hint: it also has to do with how we incorporate words from another language, and the change does not happen because a handful use the word "wrong", it happens when a majority does that, and "excessively", which warrants the change, the people actually make the language, it was always like this, but with the Internet it's even more so.

Lolita is a Spanish term though, and again, I think I've said it before, it's not necessary that the first one has the monopoly of a word or a language. Or monopoly of anything in general. The meaning can be changed, and it's not necessary that our "lolicon" is the same word as their "lolicon", it's also not necessary that we us the same "lolicon" in this conversation. Anyway, "loli" in itself is not a term that was or is used by the Japanese (might be used right now by certain people there, but before that, it was simply slang (still is)).

The problem with your first argument is that it assumes efficiency = utility, which isn't necessarily true. If a method of expression of thought is lost, the language as a whole suffers from it. It might not be noticeable in singular cases, but over time the language becomes "dumbed down" and the freedom of expression is lost even when it is required. Another problem with your argument is thus: it assumes that a language needs to change in order to be used efficiently, which is rarely the case. There are plenty of simple words that could be used to give a rough, but "more efficient" idea of what one means. The problem arises when people try to use words with more complex meaning to convey the same idea in a simple way. In other words, they are robbing the word of its full meaning for the sake of variety in sound. (Take, for example, "very", "really", and "extremely", all of which have lost the nuance in their meaning to become simple exchanges to avoid repetition. For reference, other words which emphasize and have not lost much of their nuance include "mightily", "singularly", and "decidedly".) If people had used more expressive words correctly, this redundancy wouldn't be present.

I'll admit my use of acronyms to demonstrate my point wasn't the best choice, so I'll use a better example. "Cool", in it's original sense means "of or at a fairly low temperature", or figuratively "calm and composed", deriving from the idea that cooler objects are "less excited". While it can still be used in these senses, "cool" over time has devolved into a junk word with no real definition, as there is no definite idea behind it. It can mean "great, fine, excellent"; it can mean "highly skilled or clever"; it can mean "socially adept"; it can mean "acceptable, satisfactory"; the list goes on. At best, one could generally place a sense of approval behind the word, but even that is shaky ground. "That's cool" is among the most useless sentences one could form, as its meaning is entirely subjective and up to the interpretation of the reader/listener/speaker. Sadly, it seems "awesome", which was once an expressive word, is going down the same route "cool" did.

I agree that change isn't necessarily bad, but if you don't have a problem with the simplification of words, then I don't think we're going to be able to come to an understanding. It limits speech and freedom of expression, whether one is attempting to be artistic or not. Whether the masses care if their freedom of expression is limited is another matter entirely; though unless society as a whole begins to care more about education and knowledge again (rather than ease and efficiency), language will only continue to deteriorate unless those who value the expressiveness in language defend it.

Words that are legitimately borrowed from another language keep their meaning. (Even you acknowledged that finding a similar case such as with "loli" was difficult.) For example, "beef", "veal", "venison", "pork", and so forth are all words English borrowed from French during the 11th century that kept the same meaning. More recent examples would include "email" and "webcam", both English words that were adopted by many other languages. Theoretically, to better illustrate in relation to our discussion, "email" could have been (improperly) adopted by another language to mean "any form of text communication via internet", such as "our" email, along with chat programs and private messaging on websites. It was not, however, and to use it as such would be incorrect.

If the change in "loli" by Westerners was not a simplification, but rather a differentiated form of expression (such as how cool in its original sense could be used figuratively to mean "calm and collected", a distinct but related concept), I would not be calling it incorrect or improper. However, it is a degenerate copy of the original (which, again, is still in use). Therefore, yes, I will defend its original and proper usage.

Something interesting to note: Though changing "loli" to mean "little girls" may be simpler, it actually requires more words to express the same original thought, because, if that definition were accepted, one would have to say "sexualized lolis" (as T3hSource does above) rather than simply "lolis".

Also, yes, I'm aware that "loli" is a shortening of "lolicon" that isn't necessarily as popular in Japan as it is here. Given that it doesn't change the meaning, though, it doesn't bother me.
TripleSRankAug 8, 2014 11:58 AM
Aug 8, 2014 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
Fuck 'em.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 8, 2014 11:59 AM

Aug 2014
Sapewloth said:
Fuck 'em.

Incompatible dimensions and such.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 8, 2014 12:04 PM

Apr 2014
Just like Black Bullet. woohoo.
Aug 8, 2014 12:41 PM

Dec 2012
[b]No, a prime example of why not to empathize with lolis HERE
That is all
Aug 8, 2014 12:44 PM

Jan 2014
PencilSharpener said:
Sapewloth said:
Fuck 'em.

Just realized this could, like, totally be interpreted the wrong way.

Shiat!
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 8, 2014 12:46 PM

Nov 2008
Shirogane_ said:
No, a prime example of why not to empathize with lolis HERE
That is all

That's more like a prime example of why you should empathize with them, you'll feel sorry for them and maybe rage a lot when watching.
HoppyAug 8, 2014 12:49 PM

Aug 8, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
@TripleSRank
In no way did I say that a language must change to be efficient, I simply said that the language will change by itself, mostly with no warning, as I said before, the change is continuous, it never stops. Simply because we two here communicate here is another step to another language change, albeit extremely small. And here you are, forcing people to waste time by stopping the flow. By the way, efficiency is a synonym of utility, they might not mean exactly the same thing but I believe I conveyed the idea.

The problem with that example too is that people do know what you mean by context... Also, "awesome" did not change, I don't know what you mean here.

That's the thing, simplification does not limit speech, it makes it faster, as I've pointed out before, there's no need for a meaning to be lost from a word, it can also add a meaning to its definitions. Also, why can't someone with knowledge and education pick the easy and efficient way? Why are you taking them part? At the contrary, because of knowledge (especially knowledge) we tend to make our lives easier and more efficient, and the same goes for the language. Eloquence is fine and dandy, but it's not a need to be able to express yourself properly. And wrong, by the way, there are words that changed meaning in English yet they took them from other countries, like "abandon" (which is from French), which meant "to subdue" in the past (in french it still means that), "accent" in latin actually meant "to sing", etc etc.

Actually, if you want to be specific, lolis are "young girls in Anime" (which again, can be argued that they're not even young, girls or human, considering they're not real). And here you are again, claiming stuff like "proper usage", when there is no such thing, also claiming (more like insinuating) that originality is inherently good, I think you forgot that copying was actually legit until the whole "originality" crap was adopted by literature, "lolicon" will soon change meaning again, as "lolicon material" was regarded as "pedophile material", which is not actually true...

I can also argue that saying that lolis are only the sexualized "little girls" is counterproductive. Do I always have to say, "young girl" whenever I mention a "young girl" that is not sexualized in Anime? Rori/Loli is not a degeneration of Lolicon though, here you are contradicting yourself in the same post, because Japanese do not use the word "loli" for the meaning of "sexualized little girl", they use it as a shortening of "lolicon", a shortening, like an acronym, it's slang either way.

Autocrat said:
Aug 8, 2014 2:08 PM

Jan 2013
Depends on the loli.
Aug 8, 2014 2:42 PM

Aug 2014
Sapewloth said:
PencilSharpener said:

Just realized this could, like, totally be interpreted the wrong way.

Shiat!

The only way. I do not judge.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 8, 2014 2:43 PM

Apr 2014
Hoppy said:
Shirogane_ said:
No, a prime example of why not to empathize with lolis HERE
That is all

That's more like a prime example of why you should empathize with them, you'll feel sorry for them and maybe rage a lot when watching.

Nooo. Let them all burn. 30+ once!
Aug 8, 2014 2:53 PM

Aug 2014
I generally try to avoid Animes with lolis, but i wouldn't say i'm empathic towards them. Not only that, Black Bullet made me feel very sorry for the little bundles of joy. It's just their over-sexualization and Japan's effort to bring out our inner Pedo Bears that's annoying you...
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Aug 8, 2014 3:14 PM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
In no way did I say that a language must change to be efficient, I simply said that the language will change by itself, mostly with no warning, as I said before, the change is continuous, it never stops. Simply because we two here communicate here is another step to another language change, albeit extremely small. And here you are, forcing people to waste time by stopping the flow. By the way, efficiency is a synonym of utility, they might not mean exactly the same thing but I believe I conveyed the idea.

Immahnoob said:
That's the thing, simplification does not limit speech, it makes it faster, as I've pointed out before, there's no need for a meaning to be lost from a word, it can also add a meaning to its definitions. Also, why can't someone with knowledge and education pick the easy and efficient way? Why are you taking them part? At the contrary, because of knowledge (especially knowledge) we tend to make our lives easier and more efficient, and the same goes for the language. Eloquence is fine and dandy, but it's not a need to be able to express yourself properly. And wrong, by the way, there are words that changed meaning in English yet they took them from other countries, like "abandon" (which is from French), which meant "to subdue" in the past (in french it still means that), "accent" in latin actually meant "to sing", etc etc.

I already stated that I'm not trying to stop the change of language. I'm trying to stop the simplification of language. Efficiency is getting the most productivity out of the littlest effort. In language, that would translate into conveying your ideas in as few words as possible. Utility, meaning usefulness, is a much broader concept when it comes to language, as, while simple methods of expression might be more efficient, they aren't always as effective. It is a great deal harder to express a complex thought using simple terms. Tell me, if "love" degraded into simply meaning "like" or "like a lot", how would you express an idea as complex as love? It could be done, admittedly, but it would be much more crude and would require more time (which, ironically, makes talking about it much slower and less efficient). I'm not saying that "loli" couldn't be adequately conveyed either (as love is a more complicated idea), but the same principle applies. Eloquence is needed in some cases. Whether you personally value or use it is a different story.

The changes are distinct from their original meanings. (Abandoning and subduing are rather different concepts, no? The same applies to your other example.) That is not the case in our scenario. Like I've already stated, the Western usage is a simplification, not a differentiated form of expression. If it were so, I wouldn't have said anything.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a word having multiple meanings. This isn't an additional meaning, however. It's a changed meaning. Loli can't mean "little girls" and "sexualized little girls" simultaneously, as said meanings conflict with one another. "I like lolis" changes considerably depending on which meaning is correct.

Immahnoob said:
The problem with that example too is that people do know what you mean by context... Also, "awesome" did not change, I don't know what you mean here.

Not necessarily. If I said, "Immahnoob's cool", I could mean a number of things. I could mean you have a great fashion sense. I could mean you're a fun person to be around and talk to. I could mean you have a "laid back aura"... or just about anything else positive I wanted to mean by saying that. The context is rarely sufficient for any conclusive meaning, making it a filler/junk word that means whatever you want it to mean. If the meaning isn't clear, it's useless.

"Awesome" means the same thing "cool" does, whatever that is. It used to mean "awe inspiring", but it's rarely used that way anymore.

Immahnoob said:
Actually, if you want to be specific, lolis are "young girls in Anime" (which again, can be argued that they're not even young, girls or human, considering they're not real). And here you are again, claiming stuff like "proper usage", when there is no such thing, also claiming (more like insinuating) that originality is inherently good, I think you forgot that copying was actually legit until the whole "originality" crap was adopted by literature, "lolicon" will soon change meaning again, as "lolicon material" was regarded as "pedophile material", which is not actually true...

Sure. Lolis are "sexualized young girls in anime" or (erroneously, in my opinion) "young girls in anime".

Again, though, who says there is no proper usage? You? Who says there is proper usage? Me? I already stated at the beginning of our conversation that there is no official authority on language, so there is no proof to be cited here. This is just me stating my opinion and you stating yours, so unless you're going somewhere with this (or you do indeed know of a global regulating authority on languages), do we really need to continue?

Oh, and, I'm outright stating that originality is inherently good. It's an opinion, not a fact. I never claimed it to be a fact. Hopefully you aren't claiming your opinions are facts either.

Anyway, lolicon still means what it means in Japan. If it changes there, fine. This is the internet. You're acting like we're wholly separated from Japan and that their terms don't affect ours or vice versa. If Westerners' currently improper usage of lolicon changes Japan's use of it, fine. (We keep coming back to this. You don't seem to think words can be used improperly, but that their meaning changes constantly for the better. Therefore, opposing the change of words is useless. I think that words have inherent quality and can be used improperly to the detriment of a language, and that opposing such changes helps preserve the utility of language. Therefore, one should attempt to correct improper word usage. If that does not sum up our entire discussion, please provide your synopsis. Again, though, these are opinions and they cannot be proved. Please remember that.)

Immahnoob said:
I can also argue that saying that lolis are only the sexualized "little girls" is counterproductive. Do I always have to say, "young girl" whenever I mention a "young girl" that is not sexualized in Anime? Rori/Loli is not a degeneration of Lolicon though, here you are contradicting yourself in the same post, because Japanese do not use the word "loli" for the meaning of "sexualized little girl", they use it as a shortening of "lolicon", a shortening, like an acronym, it's slang either way.

What differentiates little girls in anime from other little girls? Do we have a special name for little girls in books or on live action TV because they are in books or are in live action TV? If there is no special quality associated with the word, the word is redundant and unneeded. Beyond that, if we were to assign a word that only referred to little girls in anime, it shouldn't be "loli", because "loli" already has a meaning that does have a quality associated with it.

I never said it was a degeneration in the original language. I said the change in loli by Westerners was degenerate. As you said, in Japanese loli is short for lolicon, and lolicon means "sexualized little girls" (slang), or the genre of anime that does so. Therefore, loli = lolicon.

- - - - -

If you aren't going anywhere with this (as in, finding a way to prove your standpoint [rather than simply continuing to state your opinion] or finding a way for us to reach an understanding), I'll let you have the last say. I've already aired my armpits enough, and we're only marginally on-topic. I doubt many other people give a crap what either of us have to say anyway, and we're bogging down the thread.

In any case, I respect your stance, even if I don't agree with it.
TripleSRankAug 8, 2014 3:19 PM
Aug 8, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2012
Well, you're not able to prove your standpoint either, this is a subjective matter, if you don't like how the language "degenerates", then use terms however you please, but don't tell people how to use them, it's fine to be entitled to an opinion but forcing it on other people is not, unless you have facts supporting your opinion (thus, making it an argument).

You weren't "clearing something up", just like you, we are able to use whatever definitions we please, and the OP was talking with the western slang.

Autocrat said:
Aug 8, 2014 5:07 PM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
Well, you're not able to prove your standpoint either, this is a subjective matter, if you don't like how the language "degenerates", then use terms however you please, but don't tell people how to use them, it's fine to be entitled to an opinion but forcing it on other people is not, unless you have facts supporting your opinion (thus, making it an argument).

You weren't "clearing something up", just like you, we are able to use whatever definitions we please, and the OP was talking with the western slang.

The definition of the word isn't an opinion. The standpoint that incorrect word usage should be corrected, however, is.

There's plenty of proof for the definition, English or not. (I'll focus on English, since that's the part in question.)

English:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lolicon#English
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lolita#English
https://www.wordnik.com/words/lolicon
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lolita
http://www.ehow.com/about_5497824_definition-lolicon.html
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2010-06-14 (scroll down to the Gunslinger Girl picture)

Popular culture reference: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lolicon

Japanese:

http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%AD%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3&ref=sa

This is a genre label anyway. If the girls aren't sexualized, it is simply not a lolicon show. Lolis are the characters that populate lolicons. I don't see how that's hard to understand or easily mistaken.
Aug 8, 2014 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
You know what appeal to definition is right?

The dictionary definition of X does not mention Y.
Therefore, Y must not be part of X.

Using a dictionary's limited definition to prove that X cannot have another meaning, expanded meaning or even diverging/conflicting meaning, why is it wrong? Well, dictionaries don't reason, do they? They lack depth and are extremely concise, they don't give a full explanation of the term like, for example, an encyclopedia.

Oh, and let's not forget that you gave me dictionaries from the Internet. And the only site that you can really trust would be Merriam and it kind of betrays you by not even defining "lolicon" disregarding it totally from the English language. Once more, you also gave me the definition of the Japanese, that matters jack shit as I told you the reasons before.

So yeah, as I told you, the slang remains (and I guess now that I flung your dictionary back, I hope you relatively know what slang means) and it is not wrong or inappropriate, try again.

Autocrat said:
Aug 8, 2014 6:25 PM

Nov 2011
I do now. 'Sounds like relativistic crap.

I'm disappointed that you skipped the genre argument (I hope you aren't going in the direction of fallacy fallacy), but I'll come back to that in a moment.

I didn't only list dictionary entries. The ehow entry, for example, is an encyclopedic entry. As for the limited scope of traditional dictionaries: That's why I listed the urbandictionary. If your claim that there is no "true definition" is correct, it should be reasonable to expect a dictionary devoted (mostly) to slang and edited/controlled democratically (by the users of the word) to have the "current" usage. Checking the first two pages didn't reveal your claimed definition/meaning. They all use the sexual definition.

But, even if we say that there is no authority that can officially delegate what a word means (including the users of said word, oddly, which defeats the whole purpose behind words: communication), we could make a logical argument as follows: Lolicon is derived from lolita, and loli is derived lolicon. Therefore, loli is derived from lolita. (A comes from B, and C comes from A, therefore C comes from B.) They all share the same "root", and the root refers to sexualized young girls.

Edit: To word it differently: Lolita refers to sexualized prepubescent girls. Lolicon refers to the anime genre which exhibits lolita. Because of the genre name, we call the girls in these shows lolis. Therefore, if you change the meaning of "lolis", you also change the meaning of "lolicon" (and therefore, the genre) and "lolita" (the core root) in the process. So, I ask, has the lolicon genre expanded to include stories about non-sexualized prepubescent girls? If you can provide an example of such that is widely regarded as part of the lolicon genre (I'll need a credible source), I'll admit that the slang is appropriate.
TripleSRankAug 8, 2014 8:06 PM
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 minutes ago

2 by Otakupervert890 »»
4 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

39 by ryzxgum »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

161 by Otakupervert890 »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 10 hours ago

38 by InsomniacBastard »»
21 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

75 by Vaturna »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.