Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 6, 2014 5:27 AM

Jul 2014
I personally really liked it as a standout in the Romance genre.
I thought that it had a unique concept and pretty good story for the most part.

But what I really want to ask is...
Do you think this anime is underrated?

I know most people go straight past it because of its main focus
[spoiler] drool

Its kinda like with free... I thought I would just pass it up because it was considered a 'Yaoi' anime and had lots of man service, but so far i havent had a problem with the show and these concepts.

But anyway what do you think of this?
Is it good?
Is it underrated?
Is it worth the watch?

Thanks,
SodaWithYoda out
Oct 12, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2013
Its pretty good, the manga is much better, but the anime was good :)
Jun 7, 2015 5:50 AM

Feb 2015
One of the most interesting anime i've seen.
Jun 12, 2015 8:27 PM

Dec 2014
i love this damn anime and manga. I hope that they continue it one day. i know when he started the manga he did one volume a year....it has been about a year since the last...he could still put another one out ..right...RIGHT?? heres hoping
Oct 8, 2015 2:03 AM

Oct 2015
rangermcclure said:
i love this damn anime and manga. I hope that they continue it one day. i know when he started the manga he did one volume a year....it has been about a year since the last...he could still put another one out ..right...RIGHT?? heres hoping

Yeah! I am agree with your opinion! Really really want to continue.

I think is a good manga/anime because it is not like others with ultra-powered heroes and very excesive bodies. Its point ow view I think made it unique and very funny. Love the misunderstood and thoughts os Tsubaki-kun and the reactions of Urabe. It really engage me and hope this is not the end, just a break to take and compile new ideas and give us new histories.

By the way, any new from the creator where he says what want to do with this manga?
Nov 19, 2015 8:13 AM

Jan 2012
Disgusting plot.

May 10, 2018 2:55 AM

Mar 2018
I love this anime because of its warmth - the many sweet and tender little moments between the two main characters.

The beauty of Mysterious Girlfriend X is the way it takes these really SMALL things and imbues them with great emotional weight. For example, in one episode Tsubaki wishes that he and Urabe could call each other by first names rather than last names. This seems small; to me it seemed downright trivial. But the story is terrific at showing how these small things really matter to the characters and making me empathize with them. (Mostly with Tsubaki, since he is generally the viewpoint character; also sometimes with Urabe, when we get to glimpse her feelings and desires.)

The two characters, while highly flawed, are incredibly sweet and likable. I spent every episode feeling with them, rooting for them, wanting them to succeed at whatever tiny-yet-significant thing they were up to. There are frustrating moments, but every episode has a heartwarming ending that shows them growing ever-so-slightly closer.

Their relationship develops very slowly, and that is the entire point. Mysterious Girlfriend X teaches me to appreciate small things. That is what makes it beautiful. It made me very happy to watch. :)

I have given it a 9/10. My only gripe is that I wish we saw Tsubaki grow more. Urabe, on the other hand, grows a lot. She is a much sweeter, more open and loving girl at the end than when we first met her. She is great. :)

The opening post asks whether it is underrated. Since MGX is only moderately famous and was not commercially successful enough to warrant more than 14 episodes, I would say yes. This show deserves more love than it gets. I plan to read the manga.
Sep 17, 2018 2:46 PM

Feb 2008
Really underrated. 9/10 show for me.

As i said in another post on this shows forum: This show was so much more relatable to then most romance shows. This is imho a portrayal of "pure" love, with all its messy and perverted feelings exposed in broad daylight.

Also like SpectrumDT says: its these really small steps and the way the anime goes about it that leaves you really satisfied when seeing them grow towards eachother and gets you rooting for em.
Sep 20, 2018 10:50 PM

Mar 2018
terramore said:

As i said in another post on this shows forum: This show was so much more relatable to then most romance shows. This is imho a portrayal of "pure" love, with all its messy and perverted feelings exposed in broad daylight.

May I ask what you mean when you say "pure love"? As opposed to what "impure" love in which other works?
Sep 25, 2018 10:27 PM

Feb 2008
SpectrumDT said:
terramore said:

May I ask what you mean when you say "pure love"? As opposed to what "impure" love in which other works?

I think i chose the wrong word to express myself, a more accurate description would be "real love". most shows show you a protagonist who is "in love" with a girl (or the other way arround" but they neglect the physical part of a relationship, and when that happens its often written off as an accident followed up by some comedic tsundere reactions. These 2 are actually working it out and do not avoid the subject. I know the anime and manga main topic are actually abstinence and they never actually get together untill the very end of the manga (implied ofc) but the longing for eachother (both the emotional and physical connection) is actually there and quite wel depicted from both sides, wich made it much more relatable for me to watch them grow as a couple and left me feeling that most romance anime is way to prude about the subject.
Sep 26, 2018 4:07 AM

Mar 2018
terramore said:
SpectrumDT said:

I think i chose the wrong word to express myself, a more accurate description would be "real love". most shows show you a protagonist who is "in love" with a girl (or the other way arround" but they neglect the physical part of a relationship, and when that happens its often written off as an accident followed up by some comedic tsundere reactions. These 2 are actually working it out and do not avoid the subject. I know the anime and manga main topic are actually abstinence and they never actually get together untill the very end of the manga (implied ofc) but the longing for eachother (both the emotional and physical connection) is actually there and quite wel depicted from both sides, wich made it much more relatable for me to watch them grow as a couple and left me feeling that most romance anime is way to prude about the subject.

Thanks for the explanation. These are some very good points.
Oct 21, 2018 12:57 PM
Feb 2018
The story is way original and I loved the whole plot. It's a pity that we won't see the continuation of the Serie... At least, we've got the Manga...

I will probably remember the Anime for so long thanks to its unique love and I'm definetly going to follow the Manga.

Esque tanto los personajes como sus relaciones me parecen realmente únicos y con gran carisma. Ojalá, ojalá le hicieran una continuación, la necesita 😭...
Nov 12, 2018 9:36 PM

Nov 2018
(Warning: Spoilers) This anime has so many good things going for it, but ultimately it fails with a frustrating nonending. In the first couple eps, they make it seem that things will keep progressing, and in small ways they do, but they only do because they immediately lower the bar after those first two eps. That's fine during the run, it keeps you wanting more, but by the last couple episodes they should have wrapped things up. I wasn't expecting a hentai scene, but they never even hold hands or kiss. You could tell she wanted to with the way she blushed when Oka brought it up, so it should have happened. I was also disappointed that Urabe never properly expressed her friendship with Oka. They had a last chance with the OVA to fix this stuff, but nope. If an anime doesn't end properly, that makes it a poor story overall, because a good story needs a good ending. I realize some people here can read Japanese and can get more out of the manga, but I can't, so the anime is all I can go from... my overall rating is that it's a failure.
miniikaNov 12, 2018 9:39 PM
Nov 13, 2018 1:06 AM

Mar 2018
miniika said:
(Warning: Spoilers) This anime has so many good things going for it, but ultimately it fails with a frustrating nonending. In the first couple eps, they make it seem that things will keep progressing, and in small ways they do, but they only do because they immediately lower the bar after those first two eps. That's fine during the run, it keeps you wanting more, but by the last couple episodes they should have wrapped things up. I wasn't expecting a hentai scene, but they never even hold hands or kiss. You could tell she wanted to with the way she blushed when Oka brought it up, so it should have happened. I was also disappointed that Urabe never properly expressed her friendship with Oka.

I love MGX, and I also kind of agree with this. I would have loved to see more development. I especially wanted Tsubaki to grow more - let him end up a bit more confident, a bit more honest, a bit more clueful (the opposite of clueless) than when he started.

I also want to see their relationship escalate. They don't need to kiss, since I gather that the author specifically wants to avoid the typical expressions of sexual intimacy. But they could follow up on some of the things that were teased earlier, such as holding hands, or calling each other by first names, or hugging (Urabe does not say "don't hug me", she says "don't hug me without permission"). Or having Urabe tell him she loves him, which she has never done.

I love MGX. I also agree with you that it would be nicer to have more development.

miniika said:
I realize some people here can read Japanese and can get more out of the manga, but I can't, so the anime is all I can go from... my overall rating is that it's a failure.

The manga exists in English translation. I see ads with links to buy the English version on this very page on MAL.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, so I can't say whether the manga ending is better.
Nov 13, 2018 6:52 PM

Nov 2018
SpectrumDT said:
I also want to see their relationship escalate. They don't need to kiss, since I gather that the author specifically wants to avoid the typical expressions of sexual intimacy. But they could follow up on some of the things that were teased earlier, such as holding hands, or calling each other by first names, or hugging (Urabe does not say "don't hug me", she says "don't hug me without permission"). Or having Urabe tell him she loves him, which she has never done.

Right, Urabe did say that. But, if she actually changed, then it shouldn't matter, because it's what he wanted. As it stands, Urabe comes off as someone who is very stingy. I'd like to think that by the end she was less stingy and treating Tsubaki and Oka as equals instead of her playthings.

One other missed opportunity bugged me. Tsubaki kept repeating the same dream environment over and over, and I found it quite compelling. I was sure that Urabe would have been having a similar dream and that it would have been significant in bringing their relationship to the next level in the last episode, where they would both be there together somehow, but awake. Ah well.
Aug 16, 2019 5:40 AM

Apr 2014
Looks boring and is trash. Dropped after 2 episode.
Aug 18, 2019 4:05 AM
Jun 2019
The reviews had a lot of 9s and also a lot of 1s, mostly from those who couldn't handle the drool and couldn't give it a chance. Makes it seem underated to many who liked it.

Also, I think Urabe has made it very clear where the relationship is going, enough closure for me.
Jan 19, 2020 3:09 AM
Mar 2018
I'd say it's rather underrated. Found it in a youtube compilation about "messed up" anime alongside bully anime and the like and it was just because of the drool. Didn't thought it belonged there after watching it. Has a lot of growing up and becoming "adults" themes with the "mystery" of the drool. But after all it was just kids growing up, learning about relationships and sexuality.
It can be gross, if you just llook at the drool aspect as that, but that wouldn't do the anime any justice.
Sep 8, 2020 2:29 AM

Jun 2017
yes it is imperfect

yes it is underrated
Oct 15, 2020 12:53 PM

Dec 2018
I found it interesting...

Mar 26, 2021 9:44 PM
Jun 8, 2021 7:02 PM
Jan 2021

Though the show is underrated, the reason is obvious the drool thingy. I have never like and feel this disgusted by a show at same time. If instead of drool there were some other sort of concept(less disgusting) for portraying connection b/w main characters. This show would have been easily 8+ on MAL.
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Nov 27, 2022 9:10 AM
Jan 2022
For a seinen tag it falls short in my opinion. The story isn't exactly enticing either, heck is there even a story here? It's almost like a slice of life to me.

Don't get me wrong as someone who loves the kissing and foreplay more than actual hot steamy ecchi stuff, i kinda liked the drool thing going on, but it gets old pretty fast. Not to mention when she predicts his dream after tasting his drool i lost complete interest in the story. It felt like some magical fantasy drool bullshit.
Dec 8, 2022 4:34 PM
Mar 2020
Not too much a fan of the drool aspect, but what I really liked about this show was that the drool wasn't just a gimmick for fanservice purposes. The author actually did some pretty inventive things with it.

Loved both the main leads. At the end of the day this is two young people figuring out the ins and outs of love in a wholesome and non-toxic way. Supporting cast makes things interestiung without detracting too much from the main leads' time. Rooting for them!
May 24, 2023 10:54 AM
May 2023
10/10 anime for me, it's not like any other anime/manga, I really wish that they make a continuation on the manga,I want to see them graduate and finally kiss because Tsubaki said,(spoiler) that he don't want to kiss while they're still in uniform, I feel like it's too short. I still want more of MGX. I really wish that Riichi Ueshiba makes a continuation of Mysterious Girlfriend X. Also, if the continuation DO happen, I wish that riichi ueshiba don't rush it. Would recommend this when someone asks me what romance anime/manga to watch.(spoiler)Urabe still hasn't said "I love you" to Tsubaki, nor "I like you". The drool exchanging part isn't a big deal if you don't mind it, it's their deepest connection. I'll be rooting for them till the very end, also (spoiler) Ueno still don't know that Tsubaki and Urabe are dating, He's Tsubaki's best friend so he has the right to know, (spoiler) we still don't know whose are Urabe's parents, there are many unsolved mysteries in Mysterious Girlfriend X, it's a drag if Riichi Ueshiba don't make a continuation, the manga and anime have potential if he made it longer. BEST ROMANCE ANIME/MANGA EVERRRR, PLEASE RIICHI UESHIBA FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYONE THAT LIKES MGX PLEASE MAKE A CONTINUATIONNNNN

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 23, 2012

80 by Aoboba »»
Feb 23, 12:43 AM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

106 by Aoboba »»
Feb 23, 12:17 AM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2012

121 by Aoboba »»
Feb 23, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 2, 2012

82 by Aoboba »»
Feb 22, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 30, 2012

176 by BL4Z333 »»
Feb 14, 2:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.