Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 5, 2014 1:07 AM

Apr 2013
Hello, I wanted to bring to your attention that the informations this site uses for Fate/zero are the information about the doujinshi, not the informations about the books available in the market.

As it stands, as a doujinshi Fate/Zero was 4 books long and 18 chapter long. But its officially published version (published by Seikaisha, a label from Koudansha) is 6 books long, and 19 chapter long (there is an interlude in the 5th book on top of the prologue, epilogue and the 16 chapters ).
From what I know the text is identical.
However, both covers and illustrations are again completely different. The officially published version has no black and white illustration, and color images mainly focus on sceneries, whereas the doujinshi had black and white illustrations, and its color illustrations focus more on characters design without showing any background (on this, there are therefore kind of opposite, although the illustrator is the same).

So, is it alright considering the policy of what is allowed and not as an entry on MAL to keep using informations about a doujinshi; and then again, is that alright to completely ignore the published version with stats a little different and completely different illustration just because it came later?

Here are the 6 books :
http://www.amazon.co.jp/Fate-Zero-1-6巻-セット-星海社文庫/dp/B005Y6D0XO/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407225899&sr=1-7&keywords=fate%2Fzero
I own them so I can confirm that none of the illustrations that you can find online from the scanned doujinshi appears in it, and that none of the illustrations from that version appeared in the doujinshi.

I wanted to know people's opinion on this. Thanks for reading~
Aug 6, 2014 9:26 AM

May 2008
I can't think of another case like this. It's a little tricky, probably one of the exceptions from the guidelines...;/

We don't usually set re-prints as main stats, especially when the book format is different (eg. tankoubon -> bunkoban), but only the original version and if new version differs we put differences to new entry. The content is identical(chiebukuro) here so I'm leaving the vol count as is...for now. And added more info. Also, the info about interlude could be added to more info since it's probably just few pages(?) long and would not require new page or chapter change.
Aug 6, 2014 11:59 AM

Apr 2013
The interlude is 42 pages long, so that's a full fledged chapter, especially for a LN.

Also, While the content is "identical" on the text part, it isn't at all in the illustration part. As I said, all the illustrations are different.
While the main point of a LN is the text, you cannot really say that there is no new content as well. Furthermore, can you really that a "reprint" when the seikaisha edition is the only one which was ever available in bookstores/online bookstores on so on. AFAIK The doujinshi one wasn't, like any doujinshi. Is that considered an official release as MAL guidelines point of view?

To clarify my opinion about this,
If we take Infinite Stratos as an example, which is a LN with two different print : same text, but illustrators are different and therefore illustrations in both version are completely different. On MAL only one entry exists, mentioning both illustrators in the author part of the entry. Judging from that, I don't think having two entries just because the illustrations are different is justified. Or else, Infinite Stratos would require a different entry for its second edition as well rather than grouping the two.

So, it's less about " does this deserve another entry for the seikaisha edition or not" than "which edition do we takes as a reference for the entry information?"
Usually, I would say the first one is the one that need to be chosen. But, in that case, the first one is logically more than a bit out of the usual guidelines of this website, considering it's a doujinshi, and was never available on regular bookstore/stores/online stores. So only the second edition fits completely MAL guidelines from what I understand. Hell, the doujinshi version doesn't even have any things like ISBN AFAIK, which basically means that this book was, until the seikaisha release, only considered in the book market as "printed privately".
As such, I would say that using the seikaisha covers and seikaisha informations (release date, number of volumes/chapters) would be logical. Take for example cases like Sword art Online and Log Horizon. Both were first published on the web, several years before it was published by an official publisher. The release date on MAL don't take in account this in the release dates part, but take in account when it started being released in bookstore. Yes, both of those didn't have a paper version of it before being officially released by their current publisher. But only having a paper version that was never released in bookstore and only printed privately isn't that much better from my point of view than books that may have been printed privately by people wanting a paper copy of what was on internet.

Well, I don't really mind whichever decision is taken, but yes, fate/zero case is a bit tricky x).
ZefyrisAug 6, 2014 12:26 PM
Aug 12, 2014 8:09 PM

Aug 2011
It's especially tricky in this case as many of the sites users, such as myself, most likely read this novel using Baka Tsuki's translation, which utilizes the original 4 volume/18 chapter format. While I'd usually be in favour of using the legit version's numbers in this case, where the MAL guidelines don't have a rule that is specific to this situation, I'd say it would probably be beneficial to more members to keep using the 4 volume/18 chapter numbers that correspond to format that is likely to be used by the most members, even if only to keep the number of chapter and volume change requests that the mods have to deal with to a minimum.
Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it. - Chrono Cross

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7680 by faratnis »»
3 hours ago

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Today

0 by Uutama »»
Today, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Yesterday, 7:52 PM

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

129 by BlondieLottie »»
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.