Oct 2013
I am in the process of deleting all of my posts

blaboJan 21, 2017 12:48 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 1, 2014 10:02 PM

Jan 2013
They criticize me for watching Jap cartoons, I criticize them for watching Jap doramas.

No seriously, people who tell others to stop watching anime because of age issues are narrow minded as fuck. At least give a legitimate reason, like they have shit taste or something.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Aug 1, 2014 10:06 PM

Mar 2012
I'm 23 and I know some people will never understand why I like Anime. Others couldn't care less. The stigma of it being a cartoon or for kids doesn't seem to go away, but that's ignorance for you.

I could imagine it being even tougher for someone that is 33 but don't give up a hobby just because of some criticism. I guess it depends on the kind of Anime you watch. If you are 33 and watching tween Japanese school girl Anime', then even I would question it. If you are watching something like Cowboy Bebop, then it is perfectly understandable.
Aug 1, 2014 10:08 PM

Jul 2012
I'm not anywhere near 30 right now, but I think it'd definitely be something people would look down on me for enjoying. :( I think it's fine if people are into it, although if it goes to the point of taking over someone's life, that's not a good thing either.
Aug 1, 2014 10:09 PM

Jun 2014
I wish im still 15, i think I can enjoy some generic/cliche anime in that age. Im on my early 20 now
Aug 1, 2014 10:09 PM

Dec 2012
skyzblue said:
They criticize me for watching Jap cartoons, I criticize them for watching Jap doramas.

No seriously, people who tell others to stop watching anime because of age issues are narrow minded as fuck. At least give a legitimate reason, like they have shit taste or something.
You have shit taste for your age, grow up and go play golf with middle aged men who can no longer satisfy their wives in bed, drink beer and shout loudly at the TV when the Super Bowl is on, and talk about how stressful their jobs are when they can't take smoke breaks.

@ Topic - Society forms a mob mentality which is impossible to counter with logic or reason. Just do what you enjoy as long as you have your priorities straight. No one with half a brain is going to be bothered by it if you're successful and keep it to yourself.
Aug 1, 2014 10:11 PM

Jul 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
@ Topic - Society forms a mob mentality which is impossible to counter with logic or reason. Just do what you enjoy as long as you have your priorities straight. No one with half a brain is going to be bothered by it if you're successful and keep it to yourself.

The biggest problem is that they see Anime as either Naruto or Lucky Star instead of as a whole medium that ranges from LoGH to SAO to Boku no Pico. lol
Aug 1, 2014 10:12 PM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
skyzblue said:

You have shit taste for your age, grow up and go play golf with middle aged men who can no longer satisfy their wives in bed, drink beer and shout loudly at the TV when the Super Bowl is on, and talk about how stressful their jobs are when they can't take smoke breaks.

Golf is literally the worst sport I've seen. I've watched paint dry a few times and found them better.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Aug 1, 2014 10:13 PM

Jun 2008
I'm in my mid 20s...

Fuck.
Aug 1, 2014 10:15 PM

Apr 2012
i'm gonna be watching some boku no pico when i hit 33
i still have some ways to go tho

Aug 1, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2008
Grumpy Jii-san has proven that you can never be too old. Truly a hero and trailblazer of our time.

We should all seek to emulate his humility and love for the art.
Aug 1, 2014 10:17 PM

Jan 2013
Zeally said:

The only thing one above 30 should watch is Inferno Copppppppppuuuuuuuuuu.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Aug 1, 2014 10:17 PM

Apr 2012
Ckan said:
Grumpy Jii-san has proven that you can never be too old. Truly a hero and trailblazer of our time.

were you on the wrong side of youtube again

Aug 1, 2014 10:19 PM

Mar 2008
Zeally said:
Ckan said:

You mean you don't know of our iconic hero?

Seems like MAL needs some educating.
Aug 1, 2014 10:19 PM

Jan 2010
Grumpy Jii-san seems pretty cool, yeah.

Anyways, the people who still care about age when it comes to hobbies seem insecure about themselves. As I see it, as long as you're not a burden on society (you're in school/working/looking for work/etc) and you're not shelling out thousands of dollars on waifu/husbando merchandise weekly, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Aug 1, 2014 10:20 PM

Apr 2012
skyzblue said:
Zeally said:

you do not know greatness until you have watched Pupa

Aug 1, 2014 10:22 PM

Jan 2013
Zeally said:
skyzblue said:

you do not know greatness until you have watched Pupa

That would be when I am 60.
Oh wait.....I like josei. That means I must be already at least 75. *shocked*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Aug 1, 2014 10:28 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

The biggest problem is that they see Anime as either Naruto or Lucky Star instead of as a whole medium that ranges from LoGH to SAO to Boku no Pico. lol
Boku no Pico sounds too ballsdeep for my grimking seinen tastes.

People tend to hold onto an uninformed opinion and wield it as doctrine when confronted with an unknown situation. It's part of the reason why civilized society is as barbaric as thousands of years ago. Only it now specializes in psychological warfare and does it all with a smile and "just be yourself!" hypocrisy.

Brb off to sell that quote to angsty mangaka (namely AgK's).
Aug 1, 2014 10:33 PM

Dec 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
skyzblue said:

ROFL. Nice. Hackers, as I like to call them. The younger hotshots are even funnier with their $2000 clubs, 10 cent swings, and delusions of Tour grandeur.

Have your cousin watch Texhnolyze. He'll never go back to Hollywood ever again (except for the rare gems).

or he'll jump off a bridge
Aug 1, 2014 10:37 PM

Sep 2013
I'm 43. I have always liked animation, and I've always liked weird stuff, so it was inevitable that I would find anime. I'm not married and don't have kids (and I have never wanted either) so I don't have anybody to pressure me about it. Even if I did, I've never much concerned myself with whether or not people think my way of life is weird. Maybe I have refused to "grow up." If "growing up" means seeking out a dismal lifestyle in which I must conform to the expectations of a bunch of dullards, then I prefer to remain the way I am.

Incidentally, although I first saw anime when I was a child, I didn't really become a fan until recently. It is possible not only to enjoy it well into old age but even to discover it relatively late in life - and become hooked.

I might not be the best example because I simply don't care what others think about the way I choose to live my life, and I know other people worry about this more than I do.

People should feel free to be themselves.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Aug 1, 2014 10:37 PM

Jan 2014
Actually all my friends who watch animes and buy toys, dakimakura and stuffs are 20+
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2014 10:39 PM

Jan 2011
They're just trying to get people to conform like them and start eating high fiber cereal.
Aug 1, 2014 10:44 PM

Jul 2014
Who cares man, you like what you like. Haters gonna hate and everything.
Aug 1, 2014 10:56 PM

Oct 2012
I'm in my early 20's and don't really know anyone in their 30's who likes anime, I have a lot of friends in their mid and early 20's who love it and I doubt that'll change even as they go into their 30's. I think you're never really too old to still enjoy watching anime, if people can enjoy comic books or whatever else people do for a hobby why can't anime be considered the same? As long as you enjoy it a healthy amount there really shouldn't be an age slapped on it.
Aug 1, 2014 11:01 PM
Nov 2013
The age of your body doesn't matter if you still have the mind to keep doing what you consider good.
Aug 1, 2014 11:04 PM

Mar 2013
You're never too old for anime. There are plenty of anime with mature themes in them.

If you're still watching shitty shounen like Naruto, awful harems, or dumb moe shit at 30+ though then you need to re evaluate your life.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 1, 2014 11:29 PM

Jul 2013
You're gonna carry that weight
Aug 1, 2014 11:35 PM

Oct 2012
No one cares if an 18+ person watches Disney or Pixar, why should they anime?

Answer, because Disney doesn't have titles like "My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute!".

Aug 1, 2014 11:38 PM

Jul 2013
Shrabster said:

Answer, because Disney doesn't have titles like "My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute!".

Is OreImo really worse than some of the live action garbage they pump out on Disney XD or whatever the fuck it's called.
Aug 1, 2014 11:45 PM

Oct 2012
hybreezy said:
Shrabster said:

Is OreImo really worse than some of the live action garbage they pump out on Disney XD or whatever the fuck it's called.
I meant their movies, but to answer your question quality wise probably not.

Aug 1, 2014 11:51 PM

Apr 2012
Disney also doesn't have something like Yosuga no Sora >_>

Aug 1, 2014 11:57 PM

Dec 2013
Disney doesnt even have something that can be rated R
Aug 2, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2013
Zeally said:
Disney also doesn't have something like Yosuga no Sora >_>

But no other medium has something like Inferno Cop.
Anime wins, plain and simple.
No objections will be entertained.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Aug 2, 2014 12:01 AM

Jun 2014
I'm 27, and I guess I've just gotten to the point where I don't have the time or energy to care about what others think of my hobbies. I am fortunate, however, to have a small group of close friends who also enjoy anime, so that gives me an outlet for talking about it without being judged at all. In fact, they're usually the ones encouraging me to check out x or y series.

I think that, on the whole, things are changing, though. As a generation who watched anime, played video games, etc. as they were growing up gets older, the average age of gamers, anime viewers, and the like is also going to increase. 30+ year olds who watch anime won't be such a minority, and it's only going to continue to trend that way, in all likelihood.

So, don't worry about it. You're in a growing crowd. And the people who hate on you for something like watching anime in your free time aren't worth worrying about anyways.
Aug 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Jun 2014
30 is considered old?

Lol, seriously?

And no, it isn't to old to watch anime.
Aug 2, 2014 12:35 AM
Dec 2009
Your NEVER too old for anime! (I'm almost 30 so I should know!)
Aug 2, 2014 12:47 AM

Nov 2013
skyzblue said:

Isn't that suppose to be the case? Ironically, it isn't about taste at all.
Aug 2, 2014 12:47 AM

Nov 2012
Perhaps it might be a little weird if you're enjoying your moe moe shit at 30+. But apart from that, I see no reason why people should be embarrassed. There are after all anime targeted at older people.
Aug 2, 2014 3:10 AM

Feb 2012
Shocked said:

Anyways, the people who still care about age when it comes to hobbies seem insecure about themselves. As I see it, as long as you're not a burden on society (you're in school/working/looking for work/etc) and you're not shelling out thousands of dollars on waifu/husbando merchandise weekly, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Are you saying that if you're poor or sick or retired, someone else should have the right to decide your hobbies? Watching anime or shit from netflix isn't really away from anyone. And what's the problem in supporting the industry if you're filthy rich? Sounds like you subconciously think anime is somehow different after all.
Aug 2, 2014 3:19 AM

Feb 2013
Miraclezify said:
Perhaps it might be a little weird if you're enjoying your moe moe shit at 30+. But apart from that, I see no reason why people should be embarrassed. There are after all anime targeted at older people.
4 girl slice of life are seinen
Aug 2, 2014 3:24 AM

Oct 2012
There is no such thing as being too old to watch anime.

It's meant for anyone to be able to enjoy.
Aug 2, 2014 5:07 AM

Jul 2007
I know some people married (no children) in their early thirties who like anime, they are mostly gamers as well. I also know someone in their 60's who enjoys anime movies, I'm not sure if he watches series regularly though.

I'm coming up to 28, I somewhat hide it / simply don't talk about it or wave it around. I don't even like talking about what my favourite movies or bands are so I'm just that kind of person.
Aug 2, 2014 5:46 AM

Apr 2009
Ckan said:
Zeally said:

You mean you don't know of our iconic hero?

Seems like MAL needs some educating.

Indeed, he also has a better taste than 95% of MAL but that is to be expected.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 2, 2014 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
My mom is in her fifties and will watch anime that I buy on dvd with me
It's not weird at all to be 30+ and watch anime still
"Round and round, let's spin"
Aug 2, 2014 7:20 AM

Dec 2013
Well I don't think there is a age limit on watching anime. You keep watching if you find it enjoyable no matter how old you are. Even my dad watch's anime from time to time and he's in his 40's.
Aug 2, 2014 7:27 AM
Dec 2013
As long as seinen anime exist, you can never be too old for anime.
Aug 2, 2014 7:47 AM

Jan 2014
JumpinJackFlash said:
As long as seinen anime exist, you can never be too old for anime.

If they would only make more of it.
Aug 2, 2014 8:51 AM

Dec 2007
WeirdHeather said:
I'm 43. I have always liked animation, and I've always liked weird stuff, so it was inevitable that I would find anime. I'm not married and don't have kids (and I have never wanted either) so I don't have anybody to pressure me about it. Even if I did, I've never much concerned myself with whether or not people think my way of life is weird. Maybe I have refused to "grow up." If "growing up" means seeking out a dismal lifestyle in which I must conform to the expectations of a bunch of dullards, then I prefer to remain the way I am.

Incidentally, although I first saw anime when I was a child, I didn't really become a fan until recently. It is possible not only to enjoy it well into old age but even to discover it relatively late in life - and become hooked.

I might not be the best example because I simply don't care what others think about the way I choose to live my life, and I know other people worry about this more than I do.

People should feel free to be themselves.
Pretty much this. But I'm much younger and have liked anime since I knew what it was.
Aug 2, 2014 9:08 AM

Sep 2013
You can never be too old for hobbies.
Aug 2, 2014 9:13 AM
Oct 2013
Shrabster said:

Disney is different. Disney is like one of those popular things to do. Like "You're cool if you go to the theaters to watch a Disney movie out of nostalgia". So people can talk their friends and be like "Remember such and such movie when we were little?"

It's like stuff is only cool if you're not into it completely or you just say you remember something that everybody else does from their childhood. You get what I mean?

Most of society doesn't have any nostalgic moments about anime because it's too new in America. It wasn't a big thing back in the 70's and 80's here. Dragon Ball Z BARELY registers as something that's nostalgic for the "normal" non-anime fan populous.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
36 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Today

47 by Piromysl »»
44 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
46 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

37 by Ex-Aid »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.