Forum Settings
Forums

Images and GIFs on my profile arent showing up?

New
Aug 1, 2014 8:16 PM

Sep 2013
As the topic says, both are not showing up. I use the again and replace everypics, still nothing. can you help me? thanks!
はじめまして。おかざきです、どうぞ よろしく。
Aug 1, 2014 8:36 PM

Jan 2008
Can you post the exact URL your using.
Aug 1, 2014 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/4/63242.jpg /

here is one
はじめまして。おかざきです、どうぞ よろしく。
Aug 1, 2014 8:58 PM

Jan 2008

Image isn't even being found. I'd highly suggest you avoid using image URL directly from MAL and simply save and reupload them on anther site and use those ones instead.
Aug 1, 2014 9:00 PM

Jan 2011
I'd recommend uploading to imgur.
Aug 1, 2014 9:09 PM

Sep 2013
Paul said:

Image isn't even being found. I'd highly suggest you avoid using image URL directly from MAL and simply save and reupload them on anther site and use those ones instead.

It showed the picture back then and ive used it since i joined MAL.. this only happened a couple of days ago when i added another img
はじめまして。おかざきです、どうぞ よろしく。
Aug 2, 2014 1:25 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
There are two problems with the image (link) you're trying to use:

1. Like others said the image doesn't exist anymore. Sometimes pictures on DB entries get deleted, for example if there are not enough image slots left to upload newer and better images.

2. Your link ends with /. I had this problem some days ago when I edited a club but I'm not sure yet if the person who made the layout used a code where images ended with / and it was fine in the past, or if after the img tag was re-enabled this / was added to some images for some reason. Since your link looks exactly the same as it looked for me in the club but is a picture from MAL directly I'm assuming it's the latter. Anyway, your images must end with a proper image file extension like .png, .jpg, etc. so you need to remove the final / if there is one.
Aug 2, 2014 2:18 AM

Mar 2013
Adding to Luna_'s post, it is not only the ending slash that prevents the image from appearing. Any other type of direct URL's ending than the extension will not grab. In your case, the issue only appears to be with the ending slash. Removing it does not change the path to the image, so feel free to remove it. If you're wondering why it appears in the first place, it is because there could be possible sub-folders/paths from that site onward, and the browser doesn't know that there aren't any, so it gets a slash for the next path ready at-place.

As suggested, the next time you find the image, make sure to save it and upload it to an image hosting site like Imgur. There, make sure that the image ends with an extension. I've had cases where it has ended with a "?1" after the extension, and if that happens, simply re-upload it.
Aug 2, 2014 5:55 AM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:
I've had cases where it has ended with a "?1" after the extension, and if that happens, simply re-upload it.

...simply delete "?1" at the end of the link
Aug 2, 2014 6:58 AM

Mar 2013
Already tried, but it cannot find/access the image when doing so, which results in the image not displaying. But in the end, a re-upload takes 5 seconds approx, no need to complicate it.
Aug 2, 2014 8:17 AM

Sep 2013
Luna_ said:
There are two problems with the image (link) you're trying to use:

1. Like others said the image doesn't exist anymore. Sometimes pictures on DB entries get deleted, for example if there are not enough image slots left to upload newer and better images.

2. Your link ends with /. I had this problem some days ago when I edited a club but I'm not sure yet if the person who made the layout used a code where images ended with / and it was fine in the past, or if after the img tag was re-enabled this / was added to some images for some reason. Since your link looks exactly the same as it looked for me in the club but is a picture from MAL directly I'm assuming it's the latter. Anyway, your images must end with a proper image file extension like .png, .jpg, etc. so you need to remove the final / if there is one.

Thanks!! I just removed the slash and the gif showed up again..
はじめまして。おかざきです、どうぞ よろしく。
Aug 2, 2014 8:40 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
_Okazaki_ said:
Thanks!! I just removed the slash and the gif showed up again..

That's probably because the image is still in your browser cache, so when you visit your profile now the image is not loaded from the servers but is used from the cache. So don't be surprised if it disappears again in a few hours/days when the browser tries to get a new version of the image, which is not possible. If you use Ctrl + F5 on your profile you can force your browser to get new versions of all images on this page immediately.
Aug 2, 2014 9:14 AM

Oct 2009
Luna_ said:
That's probably because the image is still in your browser cache, so when you visit your profile now the image is not loaded from the servers but is used from the cache. So don't be surprised if it disappears again in a few hours/days when the browser tries to get a new version of the image, which is not possible. If you use Ctrl + F5 on your profile you can force your browser to get new versions of all images on this page immediately.

Well, I can see it as well, even with Ctrl + F5...
Aug 2, 2014 9:32 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Then I'm guessing it was deleted very recently and we have the same phenomenon that we have with profile pictures and other images on the CDN servers: that if they get changed, some people still see the old version and some see the new version and it has nothing to do with the cache in that case. What happens if you remove the cdn. from the link? Then you should get a 404 page not found error page as well.
Aug 2, 2014 10:12 AM

Mar 2013
Luna_ said:
Then I'm guessing it was deleted very recently and we have the same phenomenon that we have with profile pictures and other images on the CDN servers: that if they get changed, some people still see the old version and some see the new version and it has nothing to do with the cache in that case. What happens if you remove the cdn. from the link? Then you should get a 404 page not found error page as well.

Is it just me, or did you misunderstand the OP's issue? He is referring to the images on his profile. In other words, him about me. The images posted there do not have the cdn. as they are they are only redirected and not hosted on MAL. The OP's only issue was that the images didn't show up when using the images tags, purely because the direct URL has to end with an extension. By simply removing the ending slash, everything should appear on the profile, not resulting in a 404 error. That's what I think the issue was about, nothing beyond.
Aug 2, 2014 10:47 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I don't know how many images he had problems with and which ones exactly, I was referring to the picture he linked in post #3 in my posts. That's a character picture which is located on the CDN (he links these pictures in the "favorite male/female characters" section on his profile). If he meant something else than this picture in #11 then it wasn't clear enough for me.
Aug 2, 2014 11:33 AM

Mar 2013
I see and understand what you were referring to now. Well, if he will have any further issues, I guess we will know at that time, unless he explains exactly what he has meant further before that can happen. Until that possible moment, I think we can see this issue as cleared.
Aug 2, 2014 1:47 PM

Sep 2013
My only issue the one that subpyro mentioned.. I thought there might have been a new image tags being used and that's what causing the images to not appear.. but it's all fine now..
はじめまして。おかざきです、どうぞ よろしく。
Aug 5, 2014 12:39 PM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:
Already tried, but it cannot find/access the image when doing so, which results in the image not displaying. But in the end, a re-upload takes 5 seconds approx, no need to complicate it.

Well I always worked for me so I don't why it doesn't for you
Feb 25, 2017 5:56 PM

Apr 2016

why isn't my image showing up? i used imgur and i made mine look like an example i found online. with the link and the and everything. the best i get is a blank image.
Feb 25, 2017 11:58 PM

Oct 2014
DarkConan1412 said:

why isn't my image showing up? i used imgur and i made mine look like an example i found online. with the link and the and everything. the best i get is a blank image.
You have to direct link the image so instead of
http://imgur.com/A5hJ3q0
replace it with
http://i.imgur.com/A5hJ3q0.jpg

Basically:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/A5hJ3q0.jpg[/img]
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - 3 hours ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - 3 hours ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3367 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
3 hours ago

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
9 hours ago

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.