Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 8, 2014 8:58 PM
Mar 2011
Agnostos said:
Pabloc said:
Starcraft doesn't have even a slightest hint of mechanics typical to the shooter genre, but it's still very much about units shooting each other, so I guess we shouldn't whine about semantics and just call it a shooter. That's your "logic".
However, something tells me that if you asked for shooter recommendations and somebody listed such titles as Starcraft, Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander, he/she would hear some "whining about semantics" from you. Most likely in the form of "LEARN ABOUT GENRES YOU #%@!$*^& RETARD/TROLL!!!". :P

Also, the term "dating simimulation" describes two things - theme (romance, as opposed to raising sims for example), and gameplay - stats-based simulation. Just like FPS describes presentation (first-person) and gameplay (shooter). Would you say that Wizardry, Might and Magic or Dungeon Master series have anything to do with FPS genre (by ignoring the gameplay and focusing solely on their first-person perspective), just like you are saying that KS has anything to do with dating simulations (by ignoring the gameplay and focusing solely on the main theme of it's story)? I don't think so...
Your analogies aren't even close but I'll give you an "E" for effort. Keep up the good work.

he right
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 9, 2014 2:05 AM

Sep 2009
Agnostos said:
I don't have any counter-arguments, so I'll just say he's wrong lol.
Care to explain why those analogies aren't even close? :P
Aug 9, 2014 6:54 PM

Feb 2014
Enema said:
Supercolin said:
Sims 3 is pretty good.

No, it is not.

Fuck you man! Sims 3 is DA BOMB!
Aug 10, 2014 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
Pabloc said:
Agnostos said:
I don't have any counter-arguments, so I'll just say he's wrong lol.

Because shooters are very different from strategy games (in one you are kind of flying above the troops while in the other you are not), they are so different that even one person that doesn't know what a strategy or shooter game is wouldn't confuse one for another.

Dating sims and VN's are a lot more similar and a person can easily confuse them. (you yourself said it that you wouldn't blame someone for calling a VN a dating sim).

If you want a better analogy, it would be a isometric RPG and a strategy game.
Aug 10, 2014 7:26 AM

Sep 2009
Note that shooters aren't limited to FPS. You are flying above the battlefield in some shumps (for example, compare screenshots from Under Defeat with an older RTS, like Earth 2150 - the differences between those aren't that obvious).

But fine, I can replace my shooter examples with Fallout (1&2) and Starcraft. This doesn't change my point in any way though - Fallout still has zero RTS elements, just like Katawa Shoujo has zero Dating Sim elements. ┐( ̄- ̄)┌
Aug 10, 2014 1:49 PM

Oct 2012
JCAPER said:
Pabloc said:

Because shooters are very different from strategy games (in one you are kind of flying above the troops while in the other you are not), they are so different that even one person that doesn't know what a strategy or shooter game is wouldn't confuse one for another.

Dating sims and VN's are a lot more similar and a person can easily confuse them. (you yourself said it that you wouldn't blame someone for calling a VN a dating sim).

The only reason people confuse them is because the average uninformed person doesn't give a shit about the differences between dating sims and Visual novels. There are big differences in execution they're not even remotely the same thing (98% of the time). By some of your guys logic... i can call Persona 4 a dating sim because you can date people in the game, Its a JRPG.
Aug 11, 2014 12:12 AM

Oct 2009
The closest analogy I can think of would be Tile-based RPG vs Real Time Strategy game. Tile based RPG has some similar elements to RTS where you have freedom to choose the battle flows, but in its story it is still linear with predetermined paths and flags.

Anyway, here's a nukige recommendation: Artificial Academy
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 11, 2014 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
FontSize72LOL said:
JCAPER said:

The only reason people confuse them is because the average uninformed person doesn't give a shit about the differences between dating sims and Visual novels. There are big differences in execution they're not even remotely the same thing (98% of the time). By some of your guys logic... i can call Persona 4 a dating sim because you can date people in the game, Its a JRPG.

You can call it a friend simulator too XD. And visual novel.

azzuRe said:

Anyway, here's a nukige recommendation: Artificial Academy

As my brazilian friends say: The BS has been planted.
Aug 11, 2014 7:25 AM

Jun 2008
I'm kind of laughing over here because the topic creator doesn't give one shit about the differences being discussed for 3 pages, he even said he accepts both, so why not just stop arguing about semantics and actually contribute to what he now wants as both VNs and dating sim games?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3502 by Lost_Viking »»
57 minutes ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Yesterday

2 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
5 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

18 by FanofAction »»
5 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

46 by Firwik_Howlo »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.