Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2014 7:53 AM

Feb 2009
Regarding the last couple years of One Piece that went by, the series has not only been slow, but also bad. It's sad that I say something like this when at one point (episodes 400~) I saw the anime at its climax and regarded it as one of the most exciting adventures going on in Television, just to start see it going downhill short after Saobody.

Don't get me wrong, I like the arcs that came after, but only up to Fishman Island which was downright horrid. Punk Harzard has been slightly better for me, but is still at the bottom with its snail-pacing.

I know that Dressrosa becomes better since it brings back those interesting faces and plot lines from the past, but what I want to know to decide if I should truly keep watching One Piece is: Does it really get better, or it simply gets a little bit more interesting because of the old characters and retains the horrible pacing and execution?

Thanks fellow mal users and I apologize for the rant. As time goes by, I keep seeing myself not being able to put up with long-running shounens more and more... I hope OP doesn't take me through the same route because it will sadden me not seeing the end of the journey of these characters.
VeethornJul 31, 2014 7:57 AM
Jul 31, 2014 8:02 AM

Apr 2014
well its bringing up intense moments but it keeps on cutting away to stuff and theirs a average fight here and now.you should really just read the manga now the anime is really awful right now.
Jul 31, 2014 8:10 AM

Nov 2010
pacing is absolutely horrible in the anime. switch to the manga, its 100 times better than shitty anime.

As for the manga pacing, it's ok most of the times, but recent chapters are really slow, so in the anime... well, it's gonna be a catastrophe.
Jul 31, 2014 8:59 PM

Sep 2011
Not really. The pacing is absolutely shit. They did some good episodes with Luffy fights but that's about it.
Aug 2, 2014 4:07 AM

Dec 2012
Humza_96 said:

If your considering not watching/reading OP anymore I suggest you put it on hold for a while. Just don't watch the anime for about a year, by that time Dressrosa should have finished. Then you can marathon the whole arc, when your continuously watching it you won't be bothered by the slow pacing.

I think a year is way too optimistic. The pacing in the manga makes it seem like it's going to be going on for a good while yet, that's not even mentioning the anime. I made a topic in the manga forum about how long Dressrosa arc is going to last, and the general consensus was at least 20 more chapters. Most reckoned 30+. So it's not going to get better any time soon.

It's ultimately up to you whether to drop it or not. And yeah, I agree that the arcs past the time skip have been terrible. Fishman Island was too dragged out, same with Punk Hazard. Lots of unnecessary scenes/running etc.

It is very disappointing waiting weekly for practically nothing. I hope Toei gets their shit together soon and put some proper fillers in and pick up the pacing; but that'll never happen, most likely.
Aug 2, 2014 4:31 PM

Feb 2009
You know the studios could fight off these situations with extended fights, after all we're talking about action shounens. Just look at the Whitebeard war, what if instead of running around, tension build up and mindless infinite staring, the main character battles were longer, filling up the episodes with more moves and extended one-on-one fights? But alas, budgets dictate everything.

Im gonna put OP on hold and check out some reviews on the plot and conclusion of Dressrosa and check out whats coming next to decide if its worth keeping up with this series.

Do you guys remember the fights against Kuma, the pacifistas, the Enies Lobby boss fights, etc? Those were the good times...
Aug 2, 2014 5:00 PM

Jul 2013
There's a massive reveal coming up soon, I think it'd be a shame for you to miss it. Other than that I don't really think it gets better or worse, but stays mostly the same. The problem is Toei, not so much Oda. You might enjoy the manga more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2014 8:12 PM

Feb 2009
Minagatachi said:
There's a massive reveal coming up soon, I think it'd be a shame for you to miss it. Other than that I don't really think it gets better or worse, but stays mostly the same. The problem is Toei, not so much Oda. You might enjoy the manga more.

I know, but Im not much into shounen manga. I started all big-three shounen mangas at some point, just to put them all on hold for probably ever. Id rather watch an action-packed series and read an intricate plot.
Aug 2, 2014 11:12 PM

Jan 2014
Let me sing you a little song about NOPE.

I switched to the manga and marathoned it, still disappointing.

There's one reveal that everyone seemed to like except me but afterward it's blergh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2014 11:35 PM

Jul 2013
judals said:
Let me sing you a little song about NOPE.

I switched to the manga and marathoned it, still disappointing.

There's one reveal that everyone seemed to like except me but afterward it's blergh
How surprising.
Aug 3, 2014 4:22 AM
Jul 2013
If you are talking about the story and plot, yeah, Dressrosa is epic, but the way that anime is doing it right now is hmm, let me find a right word - "itcanbegoodbutitsnot""
TOEI really can make awesome episode when they put effort in it (650, 651), but now, the pacing, animation, fights, urghhh - 60% or even less potential that One Piece episodes can produce.

Talking about Fishman arc, for me, it was one excellent "isolated from others" arc, and anime handled it beautiful, took manga one step further

I recommend you to start from chapter 700 and marathon it, and for anime, wait and than marathon in - it will be much better than watching it weekly
Aug 3, 2014 4:49 AM

Mar 2010
Not a fan of this arc but will live... I wonder where they are going next though
Aug 3, 2014 6:25 AM

Mar 2014
Westuffyme said:
TOEI really can make awesome episode when they put effort in it (650, 651), but now, the pacing, animation, fights, urghhh - 60% or even less potential that One Piece episodes can produce.

You said that right. 650 was the best episode of Dressrosa by far. The animation and OSTs were perfect
Aug 3, 2014 6:28 AM

Mar 2013
One piece anime is so slow and the animations is shit
Aug 3, 2014 10:39 AM

Jun 2013
The manga's pacing this arc is awful, it's even worse in the anime. You decide.
Aug 3, 2014 11:54 AM
Mar 2010
The slow pacing in the manga is being seriously overstated. Yea, the last 5-6 chapters have been pretty slow paced, but outside of very recently the pacing has been fine. The problem and why so many people are complaining about the pacing is mostly because Oda has been sick recently, and the actual release of new chapters is slower than its ever been, I'd say about 3 chapters are getting released every 5 weeks. Hell, there was recently 2 consecutive weeks with no chapters because Oda was in the hospital. When you're consistently waiting two weeks for a new chapter the pace seems slower than it really is.
Aug 5, 2014 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
I dont understand you people that bitch about the animation and pacing.

Honestly, how could the animation be better? What the fuck do you expect? What do you want? DO you even know how the animation could even be better or do you just bitch for the sake of bitching?

I mean really, just how could the animation be better? You want Film Z or Strong World film animation? First of all thats not possible in a weekly long running shounen show, second of all, the fights in those movies dont even compare to the shows. Just because they have more frames of animation doesnt make it better or more epic. the fights in those movies dont even come close to being as good as the fights in the show.

Honestly, the show looks fine, its great thats why its so popular. Look at the polls of episodesl, it is overwhelmingly in favor of 5 out of 5. This shows that you are in the minority and most likely just picking out small things that dont even matter for the sake of bitching about animation or quality.

I mean do you even really know what you want? for example, there was a good short clash with sanji, you want his fight to last 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes? I mean really? What are you even bitchin about that would suck they handled this fight percectly.

second of all, what kind of pacing do you want? Would you prefer 2 to 3 chapters an ep like naruto? naruto is well over half of filler. One piece handles it way better.

THey want this show to go on for another 10 years, they cant make the pace any faster, or theyd catch up to manga in like 2 months.

I dont even want them to go faster. I think one pieces pace is fine the way it is. I seriously couldnt even imagine them packing 3 chapters in one ep, it would go way too fast.

You people just get impatient. Its a 30 minute show, live with it. PEople who read manga get impatient because they know whats going to happen and want to get to other parts but thats not how it works. ANd just because your impatient doesn't mean the show or its animation is bad.

For a weekly show that they want to go for 25 years straight, it is absolutely perfect. it has better animation than any other long running shounen out there imo. Naruto animation might be a little better right now but its also in its FINAL ARC. One pieces animation is also very different from naruto so you cant really even compare them, if i had to pick one though id still pick one piece.

Seriously, you bitchers need to just stop looking for shit to bitch about, and just stop watchig the show and just read manga if you don't like it.

Whats the point in watching a show if you just look for things to bitch about?

Just relax, and enjoy it, or dont. is that so hard?

Seriously, how could it logically be animated better? how could they make the pace faster without it seeming too fast and then catching up to manga and cancelling show in 2 months? it can't , they do a great job.

Quit bitching.
Aug 5, 2014 5:04 PM

Dec 2012
Can't be assed to quote, but to the guy above me.

I don't care much about the animation. I like it when they use that special animation (like Luffy being fired over the wall at Marineford), but the rest is fine. I can't even tell when it's 'bad'.

The pacing, however, is another matter entirely. You're right, I'm impatient. I want One Piece to have 2 chapters per episode, so that it feels like we're actually getting somewhere when we're in canon. They could easily put fillers in (or animate the goddamn cover stories).

I want One Piece to have a proper filler arc, so that the pacing can improve. It might not make any difference overall in the amount of time it takes to get to different parts of the story, but it would sure as hell feel like it does.
Aug 5, 2014 5:06 PM

Jul 2013
GarudaAiacos said:

Honestly, how could the animation be better? What the fuck do you expect? What do you want? DO you even know how the animation could even be better or do you just bitch for the sake of bitching?
Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, and Bleach have a far better animation than One Piece, and they're longrunning shounen.
GarudaAiacos said:

second of all, what kind of pacing do you want? Would you prefer 2 to 3 chapters an ep like naruto? naruto is well over half of filler. One piece handles it way better.

Hell no, I'd rather have 50% of the show being amazing canon content and the other half being crap fillers (which you don't have to watch) than the WHOLE show being shit.
GarudaAiacos said:

Seriously, you bitchers need to just stop looking for shit to bitch about, and just stop watchig the show and just read manga if you don't like it.

Whats the point in watching a show if you just look for things to bitch about?

Quit bitching.
Yeah, because what anime discussions are about is to just blindly suck the dick of said anime and not give any criticism whatsoever "sarcasm"
Aug 5, 2014 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
I'd recommend either looking into One Pace or just reading the manga. I've enjoyed Dressrosa a lot with both but can't see my self enjoying it much in the actual anime. You will wait for episodes longer with One Pace but it is imo the only viable way to watch post time-skip One Piece.

Edit:Seems the manga is a no go so definitely look up One Pace. It's pretty much a Dragonball Kai style fan project for One Piece. Restored my interest in the anime, hopefully it can restore yours as well.
removed-userAug 5, 2014 5:29 PM
Aug 6, 2014 4:26 PM

Jul 2013
jpem said:
I'd recommend either looking into One Pace or just reading the manga. I've enjoyed Dressrosa a lot with both but can't see my self enjoying it much in the actual anime. You will wait for episodes longer with One Pace but it is imo the only viable way to watch post time-skip One Piece.

Edit:Seems the manga is a no go so definitely look up One Pace. It's pretty much a Dragonball Kai style fan project for One Piece. Restored my interest in the anime, hopefully it can restore yours as well.
Oh god, I completely forgot about One Pace. Why haven't I been watching it? haha. Saw some of the Punk Hazard episodes and it was awesome.
Aug 7, 2014 8:40 AM

Apr 2014
The story? it's already good and getting better.
but the pacing is shit. 4 chapter and all I got is.. running running running and then some "Zoro-Senpai, you're too cool!!!!" and then running running running again and some 1080x760 Pixel and more running running and Law handcuff is not even released yet and more running running and Luffy hasn't meet Doflamingo yet.
Aug 7, 2014 3:27 PM

Jul 2013
tr1ckst3r said:
The story? it's already good and getting better.
but the pacing is shit. 4 chapter and all I got is.. running running running and then some "Zoro-Senpai, you're too cool!!!!" and then running running running again and some 1080x760 Pixel and more running running and Law handcuff is not even released yet and more running running and Luffy hasn't meet Doflamingo yet.
and then more running running no Law flashback yet.
Dec 18, 2016 1:55 AM

Jan 2014
BF1_Sucks said:

Thanks a bunch man! This is awesome. I don't think I'd be able to watch it without this.
Dec 20, 2016 10:00 AM
May 2014
It doesn't really get any better during dressrosa but the following episodes after Dressrossa are really good imo, pacing or not.

It's sad that animes can't be given a break for a while... Imagine how amazing would be One Piece with good pacing (and a better animation studio xd). Oda's so good he makes even the Toei garbage be enjoyable.
tesla21Dec 20, 2016 10:03 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

328 by mihirmishra »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 390 Discussion

enkil - May 5, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 389 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VK11 - Feb 15, 2009

60 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 388 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Feb 8, 2009

99 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.