Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 30, 2014 11:17 PM

Sep 2013
[Closed] Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I decided to change this to closed, but leave the topic up for others who may be looking for similar suggestions.

Hi, lately I have been having trouble finding an anime that I can watch more than 3 episodes before getting bored. At the moment I believe I'm wanting an anime of the romance genre which is more on the serious side. So I want the main focus to be romance and with minimal comedy, of course this is alright as long as it adds to the story nicely. No harems.

Here is a list of some anime which I have seen which to me are good romance and are somewhat more serious:
  • Ao Haru Ride
  • Bakuman
  • Clannad
  • Glasslip
  • Golden Time
  • Hiyokoi (would love to see something like this but a full length series)
  • Hori-san to Miyamura-kun (amazing OVA story, would also be good if there was something similar)
  • Isshuukan Friends
  • Kaichou wa Miad-sama! (prime example of how comedy and romance work well together)
  • Kimi ni Todoke
  • Kimi no Iru Machi
  • Myself; Yourself
  • Nagi no Asukara
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Sukitte Ii na yo.
  • Toradora! (another example of romcom which still have seriousness)
  • True Tears
  • White Album 2

Also, before someone comments saying to check the recommendations for these anime, I have done so many times, just can't find something which seems to fit what I want.

Please check MyAnimeList before commenting because I have most likely missed some anime. Thanks, I look forward to seeing what responses I get!
ncoll36Jul 31, 2014 10:49 PM
Jul 30, 2014 11:22 PM
Jul 2014
glasslip
Jul 30, 2014 11:23 PM

Sep 2013
datboishagg said:
glasslip

I'm currently watching that, thanks.
Really good anime.
Jul 31, 2014 4:06 AM
Dec 2013
Try White Sonata?

Its korean dubs though so you will have to get used to korean language
Jul 31, 2014 4:34 AM
Jul 2014
Toradora? The archetype of romcom although it is more serious/less comedic than Maid Sama!
Jul 31, 2014 6:24 AM

Sep 2013
ScazoN said:
Try White Sonata?

Its Winter sonata.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 31, 2014 6:28 AM

Jun 2014
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Koi kaze
Rumbling hearts
Jul 31, 2014 6:32 AM

Sep 2013
Kouryou said:
I'm watching ef: A Tale of Memories and I'm liking it so far. It might be something you like

Ah yes, that is anime anime I had started once, not sure why I stopped though, probably wasn't in the mood at the time for that kind of story. I will have to pick it up again, thanks!

ScazoN said:
Try White Sonata?

Hmm sounds pretty good, I was wondering why I probably have never heard of it before, but that must be due to is being in Korean. I'll give it a go, the language may turn me off though, but just like Japanese it will just take time. Thanks!

AsianKungFu said:
Its Winter sonata.

Thanks, I assumed that after a quick search.

Fermat said:
Toradora? The archetype of romcom although it is more serious/less comedic than Maid Sama!

Indeed, that is one I forgot to put on my list as having already seen, and I totally agree that it is more serious while keeping some comedic moments. Thanks anyway!

blessofcurse said:
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Koi kaze
Rumbling hearts

Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma - Sounds interesting, I will give it a go.
Koi kaze - Tried this is the past, wasn't really a fan of the whole relationship setting between the characters.
Rumbling hearts - I attempted this the other day, not too sure, but something turned me off a bit. If you have more to say about this to change my mind, please do.
Thanks!

I wish to ask everyone to continue bringing suggestions. I don't believe in there being a bad suggestion as everyone has there own point of view and opinions on stuff. Thanks!
Jul 31, 2014 6:46 AM

Jul 2012
+1 Winter Sonata

Honey and Clover
Nodame Cantabile
Kare Kano
Mars
Nana
Silver Spoon
Major
Cross Game
Jul 31, 2014 6:50 AM

Dec 2013
NANA

Haven't watched it but it seems really serious.
#nanodayolo
Jul 31, 2014 9:21 PM

Sep 2013
mayukachan said:
+1 Winter Sonata

Honey and Clover
Nodame Cantabile
Kare Kano
Mars
Nana
Silver Spoon
Major
Cross Game

• Honey and Clover - I've seen this when browsing before, just forgot about it.
  • Nodame Cantabile - I watched a few episodes of this and it seems to comedic at the moment, if it does get more serious I might continue it. Please let me know.
  • Kare Kano - I'm not much of a fan of older anime, although this one has always tweaked my interest. I might give it a go, hopefully there is at least a wide screen version of it.
  • Silver Spoon - I was under the impression that this wasn't a romance, would you explain please?
  • Major - Another anime I didn't know had romance, would prefer the main theme to be romance so I'll probably pass on this one.
  • Cross Game - Too long of a series for the type of romance I'm looking for, plus I think the sports is major theme.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

fuzza said:
NANA

Haven't watched it but it seems really serious.

I have tried this before, it seemed like a slow start so I didn't really get into it. Might have to look into it again. Thanks!
Jul 31, 2014 9:27 PM

Jul 2012
Yes, Nodame Cantabile gets more serious. Of course, it's still a romcom in the end. Check out Honey and Clover first which is the more mature and serious romance.

Silver Spoon, it's not fully focused on it but does have it. I recommend it overall because it's a pretty serious show with good themes.

Cross Game, no, the sports is not the main theme. It's more character orientated and subtle. Try the manga if the anime might be too long.

Kare Kano, have fun with this~ It's one of the classics. Check out the manga after the anime.
Jul 31, 2014 10:45 PM

Sep 2013
mayukachan said:
Yes, Nodame Cantabile gets more serious. Of course, it's still a romcom in the end. Check out Honey and Clover first which is the more mature and serious romance.

Silver Spoon, it's not fully focused on it but does have it. I recommend it overall because it's a pretty serious show with good themes.

Cross Game, no, the sports is not the main theme. It's more character orientated and subtle. Try the manga if the anime might be too long.

Kare Kano, have fun with this~ It's one of the classics. Check out the manga after the anime.

Thanks for clearing up a few things. Not really into manga, I prefer to be able to sit back and watch. I don't mind lengthy anime, as long as it isn't drawn out. SO I definitely will check out Cross Game.

As for Nodame Cantabile, will give it another shot. Honey and Clover seems more along the lines of what I'm after now, so probably my first choice.

Kare Kano and Silver Spoon I'll leave to a later date when I have more time, along with Cross Game.

Thanks a lot!
Jul 31, 2014 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
im not watching much romance anime but try Paradise Kiss http://myanimelist.net/anime/322/Paradise_Kiss i remember seeing it on TV
Aug 1, 2014 1:27 AM

Sep 2013
j0x said:
im not watching much romance anime but try Paradise Kiss http://myanimelist.net/anime/322/Paradise_Kiss i remember seeing it on TV

Ok thanks, story seems alright and it's a nice quick series. Might give it a go.

More topics from this board

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Yesterday

7 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
9 minutes ago

» An anime that's impossible to hate

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 4

23 by Skuletor »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

8 by mo_lave »»
9 hours ago

» Versus is surprisingly interesting, any other manga, manhwa, or anime with similar content?

aLotQuestion_ - Today

0 by aLotQuestion_ »»
Today, 11:20 AM

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - Apr 15

4 by monke_guy »»
Today, 6:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.